• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2013 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Xbox 360 Top Platform, NSMBU LTD, Lego 3DS, Luigi]

In addition, I don't really care what 'the masses' want from a handheld, I'm talking about what I want. It might not be economically viable, but that's why I'm so glad smartphone / tablet gaming emerged. Portable gaming that moves with the times.
How much of smartphone gaming software even pushes the hardware though? What the masses want hasn't really changed with portable gaming even with the introduction of smartphones/tablets. It's still mostly quick/easy to get into software + affordability. You're not going to see high profile, AAA, console level smartphone games selling at a premium price at the forefront anytime soon.

SmokyDave

I have a PS3.
.....me too. I'm not really following?

Is this the bit where I'm expected to have unfettered access to my home cinema at all times?

I often double dip on PS3 & Vita games (the ones that aren't cross-buy, anyway). The Vita gets literally ten times the play or more. It's just so much more convenient.

jcm

Which is fine, but it doesn't really mean anything.

It means outside of launch, the Wii U isn't selling. What's complicated about this? If you want to know how a platform is doing, you look at the current sales rate, not the LTD. Nov and Dec for the Wii U are outliers.

And so the fact that nobody cared about it become a huge blunder... now they have a price anchor weighing them down on top of having no games. And what, Game & Wario going to change the systems fate? Pikmin? Smash Bros.? Mario Kart? Mario 3D? There's another system that had Pikmin, Smash Bros., Mario Kart and Mario 3D AND Zelda... it was called Gamecube. Now I loved that system, and Nintendo scratched out a profit on it, but I think everyone would say such a machine is a change of fate that Nintendo would not find acceptable.

Some time ago I would have said that Mario 3D and Mario Kart could have pushed way more systems that they did on GC. Those games became incredibly popular in the DS/Wii era (specially Mario Kart). But then looking at the OP I saw that New Super Mario Bros. U barely sold 200k more copies than the sequel of Luigi's Mansion. A niche IP, forgotten for 10 years in the vault.

Nintendo first party is no longer such a blasting weapon as it was some years ago.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Some time ago I would have said that Mario 3D and Mario Kart could have pushed way more systems that they did on GC. Those games became incredibly popular in the DS/Wii era (specially Mario Kart). But then looking at the OP I saw that New Super Mario Bros. U barely sold 200k more copies than the sequel of Luigi's Mansion. A niche IP, forgotten for 10 years in the vault.

Nintendo first party is no longer such a blasting weapon as it was some years ago.

Nsmbu has the highest attach rate I've ever seen. Looks to me that while it may not be a big system seller in itself, it is certainly the reason people are buying the console when they do by it. The game is doing really well, there's just not a lot of monetized market for the hardware right now.

donny2112

There's another system that had Pikmin, Smash Bros., Mario Kart and Mario 3D AND Zelda... it was called Gamecube. Now I loved that system, and Nintendo scratched out a profit on it, but I think everyone would say such a machine is a change of fate that Nintendo would not find acceptable.

The issue, which I've pretty much accepted at this point, is that Nintendo absolutely would find such a situation acceptable. Think about Nintendo. The company that's over 100 years old, never had yearly loss prior to a couple of years ago, has lasted in good state despite huge losses in marketshare every generation from NES to GameCube. Their longstanding mantra is "survive, survive, survive." It's why they are perfectly fine sitting on $10B in easily available cash, forever. Such a company, made even more gun shy by the first ever annual losses in both of the last two years, would absolutely be willing to tuck its head in to its shell, make due the best it can with what it already has planned on the console front, and would wait for next-gen to give it another try on the console side, in order to get back to generating the profits it has to have to provide the long-term viability it wants. It's not necessarily what I wanted out of the company this gen, but it's something that the long-term thinking Nintendo would very much be willing to accept.

John Harker

Okay, my thoughts on Injustice:

It did really well. Surprisingly so, I might add, given that it's a new IP, in a declining genre (fighting), in a declining market, where it's closest precdent (MK vs DC had a mixed reception among the core). While it didn't outsell Mortal Kombat's 880,000 back in 2011, that's a storied franchise with a massive marketing push on it's reboot. Literally no one heard of "injustice" before - yea, it has the DC licence, but they didn't use the name at all in the title and didn't lean on it in marketing (i'd argue Warner leaned more on "Netherrealms," which, given the love of them right now, was smart) . Being the #2 release of the year this year is a surprise, which now catapults the IP up there with Tomb Raider, Gears, God of War (considering it outsold all the latest versions at launch!)

Also surprised at how close the Xbox/PS3 versions are, though I suppose it's not that surprising, given how well MK does on Playstation. Still, Sony must be happy with the balance. Wii U... I would have wanted to see more. It was outsold by NSMBU and LEGO.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Warner is really on fire lately.

Given that almost every major media company that entered the industry failed and bailed out makes it all the more impressive.

I feel I should note the iOS Injustice game has been near the top of the Top Grossing chart since it debuted as well, so that's probably making quite a lot to boot.

John Harker

Funny anecdote... Star Trek was only a few thousand units away from outselling the highest sellers on Wii, Vita, and Wii U!

It did really well. Surprisingly so, I might add, given that it's a new IP, in a declining genre (fighting), in a declining market, where it's closest precdent (MK vs DC had a mixed reception among the core). While it didn't outsell Mortal Kombat's 880,000 back in 2011, that's a storied franchise with a massive marketing push on it's reboot. Literally no one heard of "injustice" before - yea, it has the DC licence, but they didn't use the name at all in the title and didn't lean on it in marketing (i'd argue Warner leaned more on "Netherrealms," which, given the love of them right now, was smart) . Being the #2 release of the year this year is a surprise, which now catapults the IP up there with Tomb Raider, Gears, God of War (considering it outsold all the latest versions at launch!)

Also surprised at how close the Xbox/PS3 versions are, though I suppose it's not that surprising, given how well MK does on Playstation. Still, Sony must be happy with the balance. Wii U... I would have wanted to see more. It was outsold by NSMBU and LEGO.

I don't need a number, but in your opinion, just how awful is it? I only ask because I picked up that version on a whim, and I'm curious as to whether or not to expect any support at all going forward beyond the "you'll get the DLC in the summer" we've heard already.

John Harker

I don't need a number, but in your opinion, just how awful is it? I only ask because I picked up that version on a whim, and I'm curious as to whether or not to expect any support at all going forward beyond the "you'll get the DLC in the summer" we've heard already.

I have no insight on their expectations or future release strategy, sorry. I think Warner is a supporter though... they are likely pleased with Scribblenauts!

But if I were going to get Injustice, I would get it on Wii U too - I actually really like the controller. So if you're enjoying it, that's great!

Bizazedo

I am surprised InJustice was #1.

Why?

Dearth of other titles to interfere with it in April (that were new, especially), it's been awhile since a "good" fighting game came out. People have been starving for something new in the genre.

They did a good job of showcasing the game to the hardcore and letting them speak about it and try to hype it up. Having some of them be testers helped too, I imagine.

In other words, they did everything right plus the circumstances supported it. Doesn't surprise me at all.

The difference between the PS4/Durango and the WiiU, Vita, and even 3DS is that the whole industry will be behind the former whereas they are not all really behind the latter. Western and JP developers will throw their weight behind the PS4 and Durango to ensure that the systems succeed so that they (the developers) can succeed by selling games on it. I do not see one major publisher shunning the PS4/Durango or even putting half assed efforts like they have on PSV/3DS/WiiU.

Western developers don't care about the 3DS or Vita as their mobile efforts are all on iOS and, to a lesser extent, android. JP developers mobile efforts are mainly on 3DS, with a few efforts on Vita, iOS, and other mobile portals for smartphones.

Regarding the WiiU, I have a feeling that Batman: Origins better sell well on it or WB will probably bail out. We have hints that Injustice did only ~20K on WiiU which is pathetic. EA has already bailed on the machine, not surprising considering the "definitive" version of NFS: MW sold something like 10K IIRC. Even the Vita version sold like 100K according to leaks. Take 2 already seems to have bailed as well. The only major western publisher still backing the WiiU is Ubisoft. AFAIK Ubi hasn't said whether they are happy with their games' on WiiU. The only thing we know is that they delayed a finished version of Rayman to launch simultaneously with other platforms. Not sure if their support for the system will be dependent on the performance of Watch Dogs and AC4 as they have not said either way.

On the JP side of things, the system got 2 main games from 2 major publishers recently, DQX from SE and MH3U from Capcom. Nothing has been said since, though Nintendo is courting Sega at this point, so we may see them try to revive it there this Fall once the big Nintendo games come out.

BuzzJive

Wii U... I would have wanted to see more. It was outsold by NSMBU and LEGO.

I wonder how much that had to do with the Target deal during launch week. I bought both Injustice Wii U and half price Lego. That could easily push both NSMBU and Lego up a bit. Combined with them being out all month and being the higher profile titles right now, I don't think that's a concern so much.

Seems like 6 figures is out of the question, but how about half that?

Miles X

Not that anyone doubts John Harker, really, but yes: it does appear that Injustice sold well, and over 600K is consistent with what I've been told.

That is ... incredible numbers for them.

Actually that's too good, I don't like it lol. They're gonna end up alternating MK and DC and I'll only get an MK game every 4/5 years at this rate -_-

John Harker

I wonder how much that had to do with the Target deal during launch week. I bought both Injustice Wii U and half price Lego. That could easily push both NSMBU and Lego up a bit. Combined with them being out all month and being the higher profile titles right now, I don't think that's a concern so much.

Seems like 6 figures is out of the question, but how about half that?

Six figures? For what, Injustice on Wii U?
oohhhh, sorry my friend, you have a very inflated sense of how software has been performing on Wii U.

No title has launched at 6 figures!
Well, Mario did, and Lego juuuuuuuuuuust did, but nothing else has been close.

That said, Lego is an awesome game, and given the performance context, is doing pretty well. I hope it stays popping, since in my opinion, it's best reason next to ZombiU to own a wii u so far.

spock

While I I think Durango & the Ps4 will come out the gate strong I think within 4-6 months of release its going to be obvious that things have changed on the whole. To me it looks like we are in a transition or stop gap. As others have said I dont think next gen is going to be next gen enough. The new consoles will sell but the "vibe" and market is in unique territory compared to prior generations. As for Nintendo, while they clearly have problems we wont really get true sense for they're generational outlook till after the holidays.

Log4Girlz

John, if you added up all of Wii U's 10 best selling title's sales, around what ballpark figure would we be talking about. Would it be above 200k?

Deku Tree

Sorry I am somewhat out of the loop, but didn't NPD used to directly give out the sales numbers for all the consoles to someone like sonycowboy?

The forum archive shows people used to post all the numbers (with a thanks for support from NPD in the OP).

Does anyone know why NPD seemingly stopped leaking the numbers themselves like that?

Gartooth

Incredible! Completely well deserved for NetherRealm, they managed to 1-up themselves after Mortal Kombat.

sangreal

For anyone tired of all the gloom, MS has a pretty optimistic take on their new site: http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/x360-aaron-greenberg-industry-growth

ProjectedConsoleGenerationalGrowth.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
The issue, which I've pretty much accepted at this point, is that Nintendo absolutely would find such a situation acceptable. Think about Nintendo. The company that's over 100 years old, never had yearly loss prior to a couple of years ago, has lasted in good state despite huge losses in marketshare every generation from NES to GameCube. Their longstanding mantra is "survive, survive, survive." It's why they are perfectly fine sitting on $10B in easily available cash, forever. Such a company, made even more gun shy by the first ever annual losses in both of the last two years, would absolutely be willing to tuck its head in to its shell, make due the best it can with what it already has planned on the console front, and would wait for next-gen to give it another try on the console side, in order to get back to generating the profits it has to have to provide the long-term viability it wants. It's not necessarily what I wanted out of the company this gen, but it's something that the long-term thinking Nintendo would very much be willing to accept.

You raise some good points here, but I'm not sure this scenario is markedly better than the one I outlined. This is turtle-in-a-shell Nintendo, that'd be awful :(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Warner is really on fire lately.

Given that almost every major media company that entered the industry failed and bailed out makes it all the more impressive.

I feel I should note the iOS Injustice game has been near the top of the Top Grossing chart since it debuted as well, so that's probably making quite a lot to boot.

Yeah WB doing good, There was a huge potential for Disney (they got the right studios and IPs) but they just drop it all.

Oh how standards have fallen. Not sure how Soul Sacrifice sales can be construed as anything other than disappointing. This was touted as a game that would have potential to turn the Vita around and it sold in the 30k range. Overall, this new IP really fell quite hard on its face.

Happy to see Injustice do well as I'm really starting to enjoy Netherrealm's fighters. Sadly, I've realized that Street Fighter and Tekken just don't interest me anymore.

DaBoss

Oh how standards have fallen. Not sure how Soul Sacrifice sales can be construed as anything other than disappointing. This was touted as a game that would have potential to turn the Vita around and it sold in the 30k range. Overall, this new IP really fell quite hard on its face.

What? NOBODY thought this would cause a turn around for the Vita outside of Japan.

Saty

How close\far is it to Cowen's estimation of 424,000 units? http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-13-sales-declines-expected-through-july

The game wasn't even advertised in the west; barely anyone knew it was out. The argument works for Japan but not North America.

Top Bottom