• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are people who play and discard games considered gamers?

They are gamers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol i don't understand why they wouldn't be. what does "discard" mean? they play a game and then play another game? is that not what a gamer does? they play games?

i don't understand it, are you saying you aren't a real gamer unless you have some weird fetish for every game, you hold onto the box, you caress it at night lovingly, remembering the good times?

honestly i don't understand the thread. explain why you would not think these people who play gamers are gamers. haha it doesn't make sense.

Keihart

i would argue that people that only play one game are less of a "gamer", i mean, i don't know what you mean by gamer, but as cinephile, you probably refer to someone very in touch with the medium and you wouldn't call that someone that watches only one movie but on repeat.

Last edited:
i would argue that people that only play one game are less of a "gamer", i mean, i don't know what you mean by gamer, but as cinephile, you probably refer to someone very in touch with the medium and you wouldn't call that someone that watches only one movie but on repeat.
Nailed.

mcjmetroid

What?
Well yes.

Gamepass gamers would be like this. You cannot get too attached to a game cause it'll be gone in 6 months usually

Dark Star

I only replay games if they have "replay value"

games like Bloodborne, for example, are just begging to be replayed, and even speed-run (trying new weapons, gear, chalice dungeons, hidden bosses and items, etc). Choose your own story type games like Detroit : Become Human are totally replayable as well, maybe even more than twice.

length is also a factor replaying games. there is no way I'll ever replay RDR2 or Witcher 3 or any massive open-world game, but I'll sure as heck enjoy my one and only playthrough and soak up all the content before I "discard" it (AKA uninstalling it from my PS4).

some games don't even warrant a second playthrough, like horror games. You already know where all the jump scares and stuff is going to happen. It's like going to the same haunted house twice in a row. Kind of pointless unless you're trying to find/do something different. Likewise, heavy story driven single player games like Uncharted 4 are pretty much one and done experiences unless you're a completionist and going for all the trophies.

Kadayi

Banned
Some games I replay, some I sink hundreds of hours into, some games I 100% and some games I just play once and then go about my day. Does that make me a gamer? 🤔

93xfan

Banned

they are gamers because no one chooses games over movies and tv and an infinite number of other ways to pass the time if they don’t like games. For that matter, they may as well be a mobile gamer.

As far as not having too much in common with them, I just feel many games leave a lasting impact and I have a strong attachment to some of them. It’s a major reason I’m going Xbox next gen. While they’re awesome with BC, Sony resells PS2 games for PS4 that I bought last gen, trashes how PS1 games look, and insults gamers with a poorly made PS1 Classic.

Some games I replay, some I sink hundreds of hours into, some games I 100% and some games I just play once and then go about my day. Does that make me a gamer? 🤔
sorry you've been reported to XBL / PSN / Steam / Gog.com / etc and will no longer be allowed to play your library of games.

Games are for true gamers.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Are people who watch movies and discard them considered film buffs?

Vawn Vawn & MasterDerico MasterDerico slip into each other’s DMs.
200.gif

Relativ9

I think movies are different... It's all about love.

I don't put those guys in the same line as me, as a games lover, collector, who really like. I dunno...

Passion vs love.

I mean...I make games for a living and I play and discard most games. There are only so many hours in a day, I'm getting married, buying a house, and we plan to have a kid at some point. Furthermore collecting games is something I view as a massive waste of space and a way to clutter your life...much like any and all hobbyist collections. I did it when I was younger and had self after shelf of games...now they're all gone, I don't even remember to where. Trust me guys, get rid of your collections it deburdens your life.

But yeah, I play perhaps 20ish games a year with one or two mainstays (Tarkov, Total War)...the rest I will most likely never touch again. Does this lessen my love for the medium any, despite persuing a career in the field due to my enjoyment of it?

Lastly I will add that new experiences will always and should always be prioritized over retreading old ones. If you have enough free time to do both then I would argue that life priorities could probably use some adjustments. I don't know who 90% of the creative visionaries who made the games I play are, it doesn't impact my enjoyment of their art. Same goes for bands I like, I don't know what the members are called...I don't need to know. You think people should cultify creators in order to be regarded as propper fans og their creations?

Last edited:

Impotaku

Maybe it's more the casual/harcore thing. Everyones a gamer, if you play games then you are a gamer simple as. Wether it's you hold onto your stuff and replay it or you have a more disposable approach to gaming. Maybe it's an age thing are younger gamers now conditioned into this one and done sell up and move on mentality? I'm pretty old now and have the opposite mindset been gaming for 38 years and pretty much saw this hobby from it's very beginning i have amassed a large library of stuff that i love to replay i see games like other media forms as something i love to go back & replay to enjoy again same way i do with books & movies i still regularly buy new releases but i don't forget the old stuff either. But nowadays there's sooooo many games released that maybe the only way gamers can get through it all is to single playthrough it although there's no rule to say you have to play everything though.

In a worse case scenario i can see it eventually having a detrimental effect on the quality of games, imagine people no longer want games where you enjoy going back & replaying, eventually devs are going to cotton on to that fact and stop putting in the effort i mean why bother with all that extra replay when gamers are going to go through your game once then get rid.

Wether people do though i dont think it makes them any less of a gamer they just have different views of how time spent is valuable to them.

DavidGzz

Of course. Hell, most of Neogaf doesn't even finish or start games up and they consider themselves gamers. They just keep buying adding to their backlog while trolling the forums. 😜

Azurro

Banned
This is kind of silly, though I do get the point, I think it's this: Just like watching 3 or 4 movies in the year doesn't mean you are a cinephile, just because you play a game a few times a year doesn't mean you are a gamer.

The problem here, is that the question is badly formed, because it's equating two things that maybe shouldn't be equated, or the term itself is senseless. If you want to define "gamer" as someone who has that as their primary hobby, and dedicates a lot of time in their week to play, then sure, someone that doesn't fulfil that definition isn't a gamer.

The word itself though, is a bit "problematic" (bazinga!!) because it originates from the more niche nature of the hobby at the beginning, where if you played games, it meant you were a big fan and that word somehow stuck to define that niche. However, games are everywhere these days, and the type of them are enormous. Is a girl on her cellphone that plays a game when bored in the metro and never touches another one otherwise, a gamer? If you mean, "hardcore gamer", then obviously not, but she still plays games from time to time and enjoys them right?

Term is kind of outdated. If you like to play games, there is no need to to label yourself with something, no right way to play or a minimum quantity, there are tons of options for whatever people want.

Can't we stick to "hardcore gamer"? That'd explain the term way easier. Not that gate keeping there should be ok either, as long as it's one of or your main hobby, then anyone can call themselves that.

My inclination is for people who said this thread is dumb.

If they keep buying games means something, doesn’t matter it they play the same game tons of time lol.

Aion002

My definition of a gamer is someone who plays video games and really enjoys them.

No matter if it is a F2P game or if they only rent games.

If they like to collect or not games, that's irrelevant.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I sometimes wonder about competitive gamers. The kind who only play StarCraft for a living. They live in a house in South Korea and they retire in their early 20’s due to not being competitive enough. The type who played Halo non-stop, they don’t even second guess that there’s another game on the market. The person who plays and plays the same game to the point where it’s not even about having fun. I could be wrong. I know competitive gaming has its fare share of hardcore gamers. I just wonder about that mindset sometimes.

I never thought about it until a guy I knew many years ago told me he just wasn’t as big into video games as I was. This guy played more Halo than anyone else I knew. He played it for 6-8 hours a day.

Then I think there are casual gamers who will play maybe a game every couple months or even years. I think that’s more in-line this “non-gamer” mentality. I’ve know people who said the word “gamer” like it was a can of Coke on a store shelf. They identify the gamer role as a YouTube video or “what the kids are playing”. They don’t want to identify or be labeled as a gamer. Yet, those people tend to download a game on their smart phones. The gambling crowd who sit in front of a digital screen aren’t in essence “gamers”, but the interaction is somewhat similar.

I would scratch off the whole “move onto next game” idea because there’s so many different examples of people who interact with video games and don’t exactly enjoy it. I remember walking into an interview at a local game store many years ago. They wanted someone who was probably going to be in the military. They branded themselves as gamers, but I would have classified them under attendees at a grunge band concert. The store they use to manage isn’t even theirs anymore. Who knows if those people even play games.

If you go back to the SNES and Genesis era. They hired people who didn’t enjoy or play video games. These people broke down who, why, and what videos games were at the time. There’s probably a lot more non-gamers in the industry than there ever was. We see who sell games, but don’t go home and play them. I think it’s a colossal headache to worry about who plays and who doesn’t. I love seeing someone encourage the other person to play. I just wouldn’t take every struggle with video games personal. You’ll find sides to it that aren’t exactly rainbows and butterflies.

Hostile_18

Banned
I only replay games if they have "replay value"

games like Bloodborne, for example, are just begging to be replayed, and even speed-run (trying new weapons, gear, chalice dungeons, hidden bosses and items, etc). Choose your own story type games like Detroit : Become Human are totally replayable as well, maybe even more than twice.

length is also a factor replaying games. there is no way I'll ever replay RDR2 or Witcher 3 or any massive open-world game, but I'll sure as heck enjoy my one and only playthrough and soak up all the content before I "discard" it (AKA uninstalling it from my PS4).

some games don't even warrant a second playthrough, like horror games. You already know where all the jump scares and stuff is going to happen. It's like going to the same haunted house twice in a row. Kind of pointless unless you're trying to find/do something different. Likewise, heavy story driven single player games like Uncharted 4 are pretty much one and done experiences unless you're a completionist and going for all the trophies.

Just shows how every gamer is different. Your last paragraph (Horror games and Uncharted games) are the games I do replay. Story games essentially like Bioshock as well. Horror is my favourite genre. Evil Within and Resident Evils etc are highly repayable to me 😊.

In regards to the whole thread;

If you play and dispose... your a gamer.
If you play one game only... your a gamer.
If you replay games... your a gamer.
If you play 1 hour a week... your a gamer.
If you play 20 hours a week.. your a gamer.

You get my point, anything else is elitist and a bit silly.

Dark Star

Just shows how every gamer is different. Your last paragraph (Horror games and Uncharted games) are the games I do replay. Story games essentially like Bioshock as well. Horror is my favourite genre. Evil Within and Resident Evils etc are highly repayable to me 😊.

In regards to the whole thread;

If you play and dispose... your a gamer.
If you play one game only... your a gamer.
If you replay games... your a gamer.
If you play 1 hour a week... your a gamer.
If you play 20 hours a week.. your a gamer.

You get my point, anything else is elitist and a bit silly.

I actually replayed the Resident Evil and Uncharted games multiple times. I'm a huge fan of horror games and Naughty Dog games as well. I should have clarified with "walking simulator type horror" games like Alien Isolation or Outlast, because they don't offer a very different experience the second playthrough, unless your goal is getting trophies (which are not very hard to get first run anyways).

I still replayed all of these games 2-3 times already, because I enjoy them, like comfort food lol. Epecially Uncharted 2 and 4, which are just a fun time in general. It's kind of like watching your favorite movie over and over again. You don't have to do it, it's not required of you, and it's kind of weird, but you still love every second of it each time and that's what counts lol.

tillbot8

Banned
What is a 'gamer'? I play games when time allows because it is better then most TV except sports! Am I a gamer? Dunno?

Last edited:

Tschumi

This op feels like a humble brag. Somehow.

Happy to say i escape your scorn because i regularly go back to games i first played 20-odd years ago. But Jesus anyone who plays a linear single player game who them moves on when finished with it is as much a gamer as anyone.

Finishing games is hard enough as we all get older~

Rikoi

But are all collectors gamers?

I have no idea where I'm going with this
Actually, no.
You can be a gamer without being a collector, and you can be a collector without being a gamer.
It would be interesting to know if there is someone out there who buys games but never opens them.

ShinNL

Actually, no.
You can be a gamer without being a collector, and you can be a collector without being a gamer.
It would be interesting to know if there is someone out there who buys games but never opens them.
At 40+ physical games (thank goodness I only own one console, the Switch, right now)... yeah, I've switched from trying out games for 1 or 2 hours before telling myself "I'll continue this later when I have some time" to actually not even trying the game once. I just know they're "good".

Frankly I just like and appreciate games and I purchase way more than most, but while I'm financially a consumer of products, I don't actually 'consume' most of the games.

I personally don't think 'gamer' is a real term, mainly because in competitive games where I know a lot of try hards, I still manage to actually win, sometimes even brutally crush as a never-played-before-player. At those moments I just think: well, if all that practice you do doesn't really do anything... why not just face reality and you just like to kill time by playing these games?

What is a gamer if it's not defined by how good you are at games? Or how many you purchase? Or how much time you spend on the internet talking and reading about it? Or how much time you invest in them? It's a meaningless term to me. But if I have to describe myself, one of the things I can say is that I like videogames. That is all.

Reindeer

It really depends on the type of game, not all games are classics or offer replay value that makes you wanna revisit them later on. There's a reason why people return to certain games and why they're held dearly even when many years have passed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
I don't get the joke.
Do you care to explain ?

Im kind new here, never insulted a single user, or did trouble to staff, so please translate this joke. Who is this guy and what is DM's ?

Just saying for you both to take your personal spat to private messages.

Just saying for you both to take your personal spat to private messages.

Lol, can u believe i never used MP here? Really, i like some guys and comments, but i think im too "new" here to start a friendship.

He created a imaginary vendetta, its his problem, i won't waste my time with people who offend or hate other users by nothing...

Hate messages or things like that, never... Im not that kind of person!

Can i block a person here? Like, not see his posts anymore?

Btw, you are right, i got baited, and replied. I won't do it again...

Last edited:
Top Bottom