• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are people who play and discard games considered gamers?

They are gamers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
People who beat the game, discard, move to next, discard... Don't even like to have or revisit old games, are gamers ? They love videogames or its just time killer for them?

(Sorry my poor English)

As long as you play games regularly, you can probably classify yourself as a gamer. I actually think gamers who consistently play new games after finishing a game are more dedicated, passionate and hardcore than someone who keeps playing the same handful of games over and over again. New games literally release daily and a hardcore gamer would want to try out as many games as possible I would imagine. There are simply too many games that come out for me to only confine myself to a handful of games especially with limited free time.

I would love to revisit games I finished, but with my crazy backlog, it’s usually too time consuming and difficult to do so. This is probably just me, but I will NEVER understand gamers who only play 1 to 3 games over and over for the entire generation without even trying anything else out. It’s like listening to the exact same song or seeing the same movie over and over for years.

Last edited:
I actually think they could love games more than someone who keeps playing g the same games over and over. New games literally release daily and a hardcore gamer would want to try out as many games as possible I would imagine.

They probably want to play as many games as possible in such a short time frame instead of playing games they already finished. I would love to revisit games I finished, but with my crazy backlog and not a ton of free time, it’s usually time consuming and difficult to do so.

I see, my backlog is huge, but i wont rush a game just cose of that!

I don't see the point in gating off the idea of being a gamer. I do see a major difference between types of gamers... like okay... my brother plays like 5 franchises, he plays Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Fallout, PUBG and Call of Duty... for the most part that's about it. But he puts ungodly numbers of hours into all of them. Can I have the same conversation about games with him I could someone here? Not really but if I explain the game mechanics enough before telling him about a game he can usually get it, like his small pool is still big enough he understands how most games play. And he does occasionally swim outside that pool, he played a Civ game recently, he played through half of Doom Eternal (he only bought it because he was really upset Cyberpunk got delayed). If you walked up to both of us I'd be more likely to be able to talk to you about games in general, even stuff I don't play I pay enough attention to to keep the conversation going but that's more an enthusiast aspect I would argue, actually being a gamer just requires playing games.

Rikoi

No man, i have zero reason to do that...
But you are free to think whatever u want about me, what i can do ? Lol.
You are simply not explaining your reasons, you keep saying X and Y are not true gamers, Z is.
But what are you requirements to be a gamer then? It's weird and looks a bit elitist on your part.

Neff

I think movies are different... It's all about love.

I don't put those guys in the same line as me, as a games lover, collector, who really like. I dunno...

Passion vs love.

I was about to offer something like this just as I read your post.

I think the difference is love, yes. We don't use the term 'game lover' like we do for music, film or books. But if we did, I'd absolutely consider myself a game lover. I collect, I replay, I'll have no qualms about buying a console solely for that one game I must have, because I know I'll love it. I'll follow developers of my favourite games, look out for future projects from them, read interviews with them and so on. I'll double, triple, quadruple or even quintuple dip on ports of my favourite titles for subsequent generations of hardware. I'll rarely take a risk on a genre or IP which sits outside of my gaming comfort zone, because I know it so well. I know my tastes, and I can always rely on them.

By contrast, I have a friend who basically only keeps games as long as his trophy list is incomplete, then he sells it and uses the cash to buy another. He spends a lot of time doing this, so I'd say he absolutely qualifies as a hardcore gamer, but he doesn't relish it or savour it. He indiscriminately chases the most popular brands and IPs above all. His approach is more mechanical and driven. He only has one console, even though he could easily afford them all, should he wish. That one console gives him everything he wants- He's more about competition, and wearing the badge of a competitive gamer, than enjoying specific titles which appeal to him.

A gamer is a gamer, but not all gamers love.

You are simply not explaining your reasons, you keep saying X and Y are not true gamers, Z is.
But what are you requirements to be a gamer then? It's weird and looks a bit elitist on your part.

Omg, what i do...
Read the guys i quoted, they said better than me.

I think real gamer REALLY love games, have a history with games, give value to their games, its part of their lives.

And i dont think people who play games and discard like a plastic bag its aligned with fervorous passionate gamers...

Its hard for me to explain. Try read the guys i quoted.

So, its not about money, elitism...its about love!

I was about to offer something like this just as I read your post.

I think the difference is love, yes. We don't use the term 'game lover' like we do for music, film or books. But if we did, I'd absolutely consider myself a game lover. I collect, I replay, I'll have no qualms about buying a console solely for that one game I must have, because I know I'll love it. I'll follow developers of my favourite games, look out for future projects from them, read interviews with them and so on. I'll double, triple, quadruple or even quintuple dip on ports of my favourite titles for subsequent generations of hardware. I'll rarely take a risk on a genre or IP which sits outside of my gaming comfort zone, because I know it so well. I know my tastes, and I can always rely on them.

By contrast, I have a friend who basically only keeps games as long as his trophy list is incomplete, then he sells it and uses the cash to buy another. He spends a lot of time doing this, so I'd say he absolutely qualifies as a hardcore gamer, but he doesn't relish it or savour it. He indiscriminately chases the most popular brands and IPs above all. His approach is more mechanical and driven. He only has one console, even though he could easily afford them all, should he wish. That one console gives him everything he wants- He's more about competition, and wearing the badge of a competitive gamer, than enjoying specific titles which appeal to him.

A gamer is a gamer, but not all gamers love.
Loved your reply, u got the essence.

JonnyMP3

She is a casual player man, gamer is deeper don't u think?
Its not about position, elitism, its about true love for games.
It is about elitism though. You're trying to define a 'Gamer' by whether they are Casual or Hardcore.
It's childish. They are both gamers if they game by definition.
If it's something you can label as 'passion' you can just as easily label it as 'addiction'

It is about elitism though. You're trying to define a 'Gamer' by whether they are Casual or Hardcore.
It's childish. They are both gamers if they game by definition.
If it's something you can label as 'passion' you can just as easily label it as 'addiction'

No, in any post of mine u see me say that pros or whatever are superior to casuals.

Btw, this isn't the discussion man...!

Why childish ? Just another thread with another pool. Got confused by my fault, but it is a valid discussion!

I understand the sentiment of not wanting someone to "discard' a game you love. Especially if you've invested so many hours into the game, you want other people to see the "true" nature of that game.

But time is limited. At the end of the day it's just good sport and entertainment. You can't hold yourself to a backlog or an obligation to re-play a game. People will engage with the hobby however they want. I have a really hard time taking someone who has beaten 100s and 100s of videogames and then arbitrarily claiming they are not a "gamer" because they didn't choose to replay any of those games.

Everyone starts at the bottom.

JonnyMP3

No, in any post of mine u see me say that pros or whatever are superior to casuals.

Btw, this isn't the discussion man...!

Why childish ? Just another thread with another pool. Got confused by my fault, but it is a valid discussion!
Because this question of whether someone is a gamer or not has been asked since the 70s and 80s since video games have existed. Since Pong even. It's always been defined by the 'Casual' and 'Hardcore'
Those that use it as an entertainment and pass time.
And those that as you say, live and breathe that hobby. But as passionate as it can be and as artistic and emotive as games are now in modern times, it is still a hobby. And within any hobby there are various levels of proficiency and connections. But the real thing is, if you play games... You're a gamer.

Last edited:

Rikoi

Omg, what i do...
Read the guys i quoted, they said better than me.

I think real gamer REALLY love games, have a history with games, give value to their games, its part of their lives.

And i dont think people who play games and discard like a plastic bag its aligned with fervorous passionate gamers...

Its hard for me to explain. Try read the guys i quoted.

So, its not about money, elitism...its about love!
They are both gamers.
If anything, it's the "true" gamers that should be labeled differently.
Not everyone is a wannabe gaming journalists or a collector.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'd argue that they're more qualified as "gamers" than people who just play Fortnite endlessly.

For all the nothing that that's worth.

I think its the time to bring the thread "fortnite players can't beat one stage in megaman".

Lots of hypocrisy here, than they call ME a elitist.

Alright guys...Confess many of you like to disagree and spitfire just for troll or make the OP feels bad...

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with your passion.

We just don't think this kind of label need to be applied to a leisure hobby. It's marketing, at best (companies loved the "hardcore versus casual" myth).

This is the most cringe-worthy thread in a long time. I don't see how the OP doesn't have the urge to beat himself up.

You are just a hater, since the beginning, a typical user that don't deserve be here on NeoGaf.

Zero contribution, zero arguments, zero tries to understand what i mean.

Just leave the thread bro.

Jadsey

What a stupid question.

Luckily I have a PS4 so I have a plethora of amazing new titles to experience at all times.

If not, I would need some sort of box to play old games again or games I didn’t want to play in the first place...

Sounds a bit miserable to me.

Last edited:
What a stupid question.

Luckily I have a PS4 so I have a plethora of amazing new titles to experience at all times.

If not, I would need some sort of box to play old games again or games I didn’t want to play in the first place...

Sounds a bit miserable to me.

I recommend you don't reply stupid questions next time.

Rikoi

Alright guys...Confess many of you like to disagree and spitfire just for troll or make the OP feels bad...
Half your posts in this thread are claiming this, it's false, people are just disagreeing with you, there is nothing personal.

You even decided which games people should play to qualify themselves as gamers, and someone else in this thread too.
In this thread I read that if someone plays only Sonic, Need for speed, Fortnite, CSGO, and similars, they are not real gamers. To be honest, I see some personal bias in these claims: games I hate or don't interest me = not real gamers.
Who is a gamer? Someone that plays 50 games in 1 year with 0 platinum trophies or someone that plays 10 games with 10 platinum trophies?
They are both gamers, but they just like to play differently, there is not a "correct" way to play, as long as you enjoy playing games.

I see gamers as people that invest >TIME< in gaming, as long as people invest a good chunk of their lifetime in gaming, they can be classified as gamers.

Last edited:
They are both gamers.
If anything, it's the "true" gamers that should be labeled differently.
Not everyone is a wannabe gaming journalists or a collector.

Again, its not about money.
Im from Brazil and i see tons of guys that love games but can't afford... It's too expensive.

I can see in them much more love than some intitulated "gamer" that have gamer chair and play 3 games per day....without passion...!

Last edited:
Half your posts in this thread are claiming this, it's false, people are just disagreeing with you, there is nothing personal.

You even decided which games people should play to qualify themselves as gamers, and someone else in this thread too.
In this thread I read that if someone plays only Sonic, Need for speed, Fortnite, CSGO, and similars, they are not real gamers. To be honest, I see some personal bias in these claims: games I hate or don't interest me = not real gamers.
Who is a gamer? Someone that plays 50 games in 1 year with 0 platinum trophies or someone that plays 10 games with 10 platinum trophies?
They are both gamers, but they just like to play differently, there is not a "correct" way to play, as long as you enjoy playing games.

I see gamers as people that invest >TIME< in gaming, as long as people invest a good chunk of their lifetime in gaming, they can be classified as gamers.
Its because looks like a "job", its not about the game itself. In the majority i can't see passion on them...

Neff

The most interesting thing about this thread is the idea that not meeting the (subjective in this case) criteria of being a 'gamer' can be seen as a disparaging dismissal, worthy of indignation.

I never liked the term and would certainly never call myself a gamer, even though I have to accept that in the eyes of most I am one.

Barakov

People who beat the game, discard, move to next, discard... Don't even like to have or revisit old games, are gamers ? They love videogames or its just time killer for them?

(Sorry my poor English)
Yeah, I think they are. People who play a lot of games usually are. I would argue that people who only play COD and Madden are gamers as well. I'm still of the mind that people should only play what interests them. Because if you're not enjoying your time with a game, what's the point?

Vawn

Banned
You are just a hater, since the beginning, a typical user that don't deserve be here on NeoGaf.

You sure are high and mighty, aren't ya? Anyone who doesn't see things EXACTLY the way you see them is a "poser" and unworthy to partake in your passions.

Newsflash, asshole. You aren't the king of video games or the president of NeoGAF. Stop with this BS about who you deem worthy of your labels or should be able to partake in the hobby.

Barnabot

i'm still holding to that ace combat assault horizon game into my hdd in case i wanna play as a harrier or play as a a-10 against a batlleship in a epic soundtrack. the same thing applies to the 10 different racing games i have between my steam library and ps4 even though i know i can't play all of them everyday.

Rikoi

Its because looks like a "job", its not about the game itself. In the majority i can't see passion on them...
I don't think this makes sense.
Why would anyone play games as a job without getting paid?
It's not like there is any pride in being a gamer, unless you are a professional that is paid for it.
It's an hobby like many, there is no way you can put many hours into something you would never enjoy.

You sure are high and mighty, aren't ya? Anyone who doesn't see things EXACTLY the way you see them is a "poser" and unworthy to partake in your passions.

Newsflash, asshole. You aren't the king of video games or the president of NeoGAF. Stop with this BS about who you deem worthy of your labels or should be able to partake in the hobby.

Wtf are u talking about?
It's your mind who thinks that way, not me.

Stop with personal offense man, its not cool.

I don't think this makes sense.
Why would anyone play games as a job without getting paid?
It's not like there is any pride in being a gamer, unless you are a professional that is paid for it.
It's an hobby like many, there is no way you can put many hours into something you would never enjoy.

Its just some impressions that i had on internet.

If the guy only plays LOL, he loves LOL, not games in general. Im wrong?

Last edited:
I have to go, keep the insults and making my thread ugly and dirt.

Im already happy because at least some guys got what i meant to say!

Sorry the language barrier. Was my fault!

Cya later.

TwiztidElf

What? Why does being a collector mean anything?
60,000+ XB Gamerscore, and Level 14 PSN, and I only ever keep personal GOTYs and runners up.
I can't stand clutter, and I generally know if I'll go back to a game.
Although this gen, I seem to have hung onto a bit more stuff as I'm worried about the future of gaming...

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom