• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any instances when you thought the villain made compelling arguments?

FunkMiller

dc comics joker GIF

Kilau

I was rooting so hard for Strickland (Michael Shannon) in The Shape of Water.

I don’t know if he had a real argument besides his job, I just wanted him to win instead of the stupid fish. What an awful, overrated piece of garbage film.

mortal

Gold Member
Is this "The Batman" the thread?
Well, until the writers were like "Riddler is making major sense right now, got to make him kill a bunch of innocents so he needs stopping."
I've always wondered about that with certain screenplays. Todd Phillip's Joker is another character that many found themselves empathizing with.
Up until he murders the host, they made it very easy to feel pity for the character and his circumstances.

Last edited:

Power Pro

Thanos was right

It only makes sense in a scenario where you don't have a reality warping mega device. He just wanted to mass genocide. If he really gave a shit, with the Infinity Gauntlet you could just, you know, make infinite supplies of resources for all or stop entropy from happening or a million other things that aren't mass genocide because you got the feels for it.
Right, Thanos would almost be my answer except his solution wasn't the right one. With that kind of power, he could have created infinite resources, or even change the foundation of the universe so less resources are needed. His solution was temporary at best. On planet earth alone, our population has exploded in a relatively short amount of time. We're at 7.7 billion this year alone. Let's say Thanos came along and wiped out half, bringing us down to... about 3.8 billion people. We were last in that range in the early 70s. Give us another 50 years, and we're right back where we started with the same problems. Thanos is right to be aware of the problem, but his solution is idiotic.

daveonezero

Banned
All the time. Hollywood seems to have a habit of making villains say conservative, free market capitalist theories or ideas.

See Joker in Dark Knighr, Marco Inaros in the Expanse

ZehDon

Gold Member

"We tolerate it because it's common".

I've always loved Doe's rationale, because there's a degree of moral correctness in it that we all feel at this point in the film, but that the main characters feel, too. It's echoed in Summerset's sign off: 'Ernest Hemingway once wrote, 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part.'

OZ9000

Banned
Every time I drive in traffic. "Fuck, Thanos was right!"

On a more serious note, Thanos would have a more compelling argument if he said to eliminate all murderers, paedophiles, and rapists from the entire planet.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Right, Thanos would almost be my answer except his solution wasn't the right one. With that kind of power, he could have created infinite resources, or even change the foundation of the universe so less resources are needed. His solution was temporary at best. On planet earth alone, our population has exploded in a relatively short amount of time. We're at 7.7 billion this year alone. Let's say Thanos came along and wiped out half, bringing us down to... about 3.8 billion people. We were last in that range in the early 70s. Give us another 50 years, and we're right back where we started with the same problems. Thanos is right to be aware of the problem, but his solution is idiotic.
At least in the comics the Mad Titan trying to impress Death so she would like him back had a non-zero chance of success. Movie Thanos had no foresight to see that wiping out half is a temporary measure, treating the symptom rather than the actual issue. Which is strange when you work towards a goal for so long. I'm sure he had time to think about it.

Durien

Thanos was right
I agree. The funny thing is, they changed this soooooooo much from the actual comic. In the comic, Thanos wanted to impress death with a high kill count if I remember right. Not sure why they skewed the story in the movies. Did they want to make Thanos more "approachable" and not a psychopath?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Everyime there is a situation where the good guy protect a person\child that can save humanity with a sacrifice but they goes like "fuck the humanity, my feelings are more important that saving the human race"

Fuck those people.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fuz

GymWolf

Killmonger do be spittin facts tho

whats up wassup GIF
Ah yes, the black lives matter extremist with muscles, such a great and deep character...

Dude was as bad and hilarious as 99% of marvel villains, he was just well acted by a charismatic actor with a huge screen presence in a movie that had huge success for reasons we all know.

Pretty sure he was engaged with nepenthe from reeeee at some point.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Played it long ago, but I remember Lucifer making some really good points in Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Also, the main antagonist in Lost Judgment, can't get mad at him.

GeekyDad

I think the people on Alderaan had it coming to them.
Was thinking along similar lines...

UJKVS5hgwtbnDSYt6scL4U-320-80.jpg

(Zod)

RunmkzM.jpg

Even Jor-el saw the planet's imminent self-destruction.

a2ff3a644fd905e065b7dfa95a6dca80.550x322x1.jpg

But of course Zod's "solution" to the problem is what makes him a villain in most people's (myself included) eyes.

Ulysses 31

Was thinking along similar lines...

UJKVS5hgwtbnDSYt6scL4U-320-80.jpg

(Zod)

RunmkzM.jpg

Even Jor-el saw the planet's imminent self-destruction.

a2ff3a644fd905e065b7dfa95a6dca80.550x322x1.jpg

But of course Zod's "solution" to the problem is what makes him a villain in most people's (myself included) eyes.
Zod is also a bit dumb using a sea of skulls to bring across his argument if it's meant to be sympathetic, if anything, it will strengthen the resolve of those against him... 👀👀👀

Last edited:
Top Bottom