• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any instances when you thought the villain made compelling arguments?

GeekyDad

Zod is also a bit dumb using a sea of skulls to bring across his argument if it's meant to be sympathetic, if anything, it will strengthen the resolve of those against him... 👀👀👀
Well, it was obvious (at least I think so), even when he was still on Krypton, that his hurt had turned to a burning rage. People don't typically think clearly when they're enraged.

T4keD0wN

Judge Lawrence Wargrave.

Is J. Jonah Jameson considered a villain? because he is portrayed as one and he's pretty spot on about Spider-man.

This thread is pretty tame so far, where are all the Molag Bal supporters at? :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:
My comment got deleted--a first for me! Thought it was vague enough that it didn't need spoilers but...spoilers ahead for Hogwarts Legacy:

I thought the villain in HL made sense (the lady, not the goblin). Unless I'm missing something, I don't even think she was aware of the negative effects of her decision, since they happened when she was off-screen, so when the "good guys" merc'd her, I laughed as it came off a little premature

John Bilbo

Breaking Bad spoilers:

Was Gus Fring the better man when compared to Walter White?

I don't know what arguments Fring made precisely, but I got a gut feeling he was the more sensible business man out of the two in the end.

Maybe I'll watch the series again to see.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Viggo in John Wick. Sure, he was a gangster, but he was just trying to protect his son against a former hitman who was so monstrous they told scary folktales about him in the criminal underworld.

Fuz

Banned
I've always wondered about that with certain screenplays. Todd Phillip's Joker is another character that many found themselves empathizing with.
Up until he murders the host, they made it very easy to feel pity for the character and his circumstances.
Also after he murdered the host.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
A.I in MGS2

Griffith in Berserk

Éren in Aot
Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

GymWolf

If you don't betray and kill your entire circle of friends and fuck the girl of your best friend at least 1 time a year you are basically a villain.

He is right.

RaduN

The thread is about compelling arguments, not sympatethic villain 😶
Post eclispe Griffith is almost the hero of the story...almost.

Brazen

I don't think Jaime is a Villain, especially by GoT standards.

No disagreements there he is more a tragic hero archetype if you look at his character as a whole. However, villains become who they are and can be unmade over a long period of progression. In that particular scene and in the context of who he's conversing with imo he's a villain in the moment so it's why I thought it appropriate.

John_Ryder

Saruman to Gandalf:
“You do not hesistate to sacrifice those closest to you, those you profess to love. Tell me... what words of comfort did you give the halfling before you sent him to his doom? The path that you have set him on can only lead to death.”

mortal

Gold Member
Also after he murdered the host.
I'd argue less so.

I think murdering the host was an unjustified act. Yes, Arthur had a horrible upbringing and was essentially abandoned by the social programs of Gotham, but I don't think that warranted murdering a man that was resistible for any of that.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Disney thought that Maleficent made quite a good statement and redeemed her 🤔

And how can we just forget Spike from Buffy?

Last edited:

Durien

I don't think Jaime is a Villain, especially by GoT standards.
I agree. I started writing an essay and then erased it all as no one wants a book. <ain't no one got time for that.gif> my opinion is Jaime often does the right thing (with the exception of Bran, which even then he did to protect Cersi more than himself). I think the show rushes his character a long but Jaime normally does things for 2 reasons. He feels it's his duty and/or the love of his siblings. Most of the time I think Jaime gets the short end of the stick and he does the best he can with the hand he's dealt.

pramod

Banned
Thanos' argument never made any sense imho.

Yeah maybe if ur an ass backwads primitive society like earth, maybe. But with all his technology and power he could have helped turn the entire galaxy into an utopia that could sustain a million times more life than it did.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Heat:
Rooted for DeNiro so hard. Hated Paccino so much!
That one's a little grey, though, don'tcha think?

Yes, Pacino's character was an egomaniac, and DeNiro's character was thoughtful, intelligent, and kind, all things considered (his behavior when he first meets the love interest, and his behavior during the bank heist, when he tries to calm the bank customers with logic and empathy).

But...

Did you think he made a "compelling argument" (title of the thread)?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Not the villain but Jami Gertz's character in Twister was the only reasonable person in that movie and the rest of those assholes all deserved to die.

Top Bottom