• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we just going to pretend that Cyberpunk+Phantom Liberty isn't some of the most incredible gaming out there?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Just finished the DLC after beating the 2.0 base game and holy fuck was this good. This game's disastrous launch will forever mar its reputation and some will never forgive CDPR for what they did (and I can't blame them) but for those willing to give it another shot, please go right ahead. The DLC is even better than the base game and I feel that's truly the Cyberpunk CDPR envisioned. Much more player agency and almost every quest involves input from the player on how things will pan out. The base game doesn't have much of this beyond the background responses that just give different dialog options that ultimately amount to nothing.

The quests are so well written too. None of that fetch-quest garbage. So much good dialog, voice acting, and creativity in them. No two quests are alike and some are damn tear-jerkers. This point leads me to the final one; the main quest of the DLC which to me is significantly better than that of the base game. Idris Elba, Keanu Reeves, the girl who voices So Mi, and everyone else is bringing their A game for this. The combat is also improved overall but the only problem is the level scaling but meh, I can get over that. More options on how to tackle challenges and new toys to play with for different builds. All are viable and satisfying to play. Brawler, stealth, hacking, gunner, ninja, you name it and it's fun and viable. Besides that, there are some fantastic, bombastic setpieces that don't just have the player sit on his ass and watch but have them be part of the action.

With that said, I can't wait for whatever CDPR brings next and hope to god that they take their time this time around because had Cyberpunk released in this state even in 2023, it would have been lauded by critics as a crowning achievement in gaming.

I know everyone is creaming over BG3 and Alan Wake 2 which rightfully deserve the praise but don't sleep on Cyberpunk 2077, and don't let the bad initial reception deter you from the game now. It's well worth your time.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Confused Kid Cudi GIF by Apple Music

It has gotten some love around here?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i have yet to enter phantom libery DLC, but the base is still quite buggy and the NPC AI is still not really smart.

But its a good game, i do enjoy it. I keep trying to tell myself not to compare with rockstar games immersion.

Mozzarella

I'll get around to playing this expansion soon, maybe in the next 2 weeks.
Can i just play the expansion from my previous save or do you think its worth to do an entire new playthrough? I played the game at release for 2 weeks straight, then i never played it again.
I did some showcase for people who come to my place showing them the game and demonstrating it via a side gig, but thats about it.

BlakeofT

I need to put this game back in again, maybe once I finish FFVII Remake. I only have it on PS5 though. Going to take a lot of work to get used to aiming with a controller...

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'll get around to playing this expansion soon, maybe in the next 2 weeks.
Can i just play the expansion from my previous save or do you think its worth to do an entire new playthrough? I played the game at release for 2 weeks straight, then i never played it again.
I did some showcase for people who come to my place showing them the game and demonstrating it via a side gig, but thats about it.
You can play it from your previous save if you want, but you'll probably be overleveled, and they you'll have to respect your character because they totally changed the perk system.

You can also just start the DLC directly with a new character and it'll start you off on Level 20.

I personally found it rewarding to just start a fresh game and work up to the DLC organically. I haven't played the game in a couple years and they changed so much, I really liked starting the story fresh, and getting introduced to the newly reworked systems and immersing myself in the story again. But if you played it more recently I get not wanting to start over.

This is what I said after the 1.5 update which was my first experience with the game:

I'm 40h into this on PS5 and the more I play it the more frustrated I become. Why? Because this is not only a GOTY contender but by the time it's all said and done I'm pretty sure I'll regard it as a stone cold classic. I'm frustrated CDPR released this in the reportedly disastrous state it launched in 2020. This should have *never* released on last-gen consoles, the scale and scope of the world is way too ambitious, I continue to be impressed at every turn. I'm frustrated CDPR forever sullied their own reputation, this 1.5 ver should have been the official release of the game, it would have been the big gaming event it was meant to be and celebrated far and wide.

Does the game still have bugs? Absolutely, as does *every single open-world game I've ever played*. I know they will continue to improve things (and they should!) but let's not pretend this is anything new in the genre. Putting all that aside I continue to be astounded by the world CDPR created, there is an attention to detail (peep the roof interior textures of Panam's car the first mission with her) that is rarely - if ever - seen (shoutout to RDR2, that's in a league of it's own). The characters, dialogue and story are all excellent with certain story sequences that literally made my jaw drop, they will stay with me for some time to come.

Emergent gameplay moments lead to unique and memorable experiences. Last night I took on a CyberPsycho in the Badlands, was in the afternoon, just so happened that a sandstorm rolled in, just so happened this psycho was a sniper in a tower, absolutely epic, the stars aligning. I've had numerous moments like this and each time I think to myself "man, this game is fucking awesome!". Aesthetically - not always but at times - this is the most visually striking game I've ever played. I could go on and on, if I have any real criticisms I wish the driving was tighter and there was a quicker/more intuitive way to sift through inventory and phone messages, that's about it.

Love the combat (props to DualSense implementation for the 3rd time), love cruising around listening to tunes while doing jobs for fixers, love the insane number of skills available to customize my character, love the story choices and yes, I even love Johnny Silverhand (though I can see how this character can be a love/hate thing). Pro-tip for anyone shitting on this game in it's *current* form: stop snorting laundry detergent, the neurological damage is irreparable. I'm happy to see *some* on this forum seem to be enjoying as much as I am, keep it rockin chooms.

Planning to do a new playthrough once I pick up Phantom Liberty, looking forward to it.

Topher

Gold Member
It is a much more enjoyable game now than it was before the update. I've got 140 hours, most of that since the 2.0 update, and still not done with the base campaign. Great game.

I'm annoyed CDPR's next game is Witcher 4 because we wont get a Cyberpunk sequel until 2030 at earliest. For all Cyberpunk's flaws, it is everything I wanted a contemporary open world RPG to be. And as amazing as the Witcher 4 will be, I'm not sure how much CDPR can improve upon the midevial fantasy genre, at least comparably to what they can do with a Cyberpunk sequel

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I haven't played it since August. I kinda cyberpunk'd out and have no interest in playing it at the moment.

It got some praise around here when it came out, though. Just because people aren't spamming threads about it like with Starfield doesn't mean it didn't get attention.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Eh it absolutely had no impact on the overall story whatsoever. But I enjoyed it for what it was.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

I love the game. If I had the money for a high end PC, I’d buy the game again just to play my favourite game of the generation (so far) with path tracing. I just hope they improve console performance of Phantom Liberty enough so they can put that FSR2 target resolution back to 4K (like it was before 2.0 patch). The drop to 1800p makes it noticeably more blurry.

edit: the conversation you have with a doll when you are looking for Evelyn Parker, I mean she (some random “doll”) was in the game so briefly yet had more interesting things to say than the entirety of some other open world games out there. The game really makes you look at your own mortality sometimes.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Didn't buy Phantom liberty yet. Waiting for it to be at least half the price. I did finish the first one but. I do not like the driving part of the game. I am not finding my self any power to go back and play side missions.

Also, I am one of the very few people with High end PC and 4090, but I do not think the graphics are that great to be honest. Maybe because I like games with realstic graphics more ? like the Matrix demo for example, that was good looking imo aside from the image quality being probably 720p.

I just like realistic graphics and that game wasn't it.

Pretty. that is for sure. but not what I would call mind blowing.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I've not long brought No Man's Sky, so there's still some time before I buy my next Hello-like.

Last edited:

Red5

I don't think anyone is pretending the game isn't good, the game was always in Steam's most played since release despite the very rough launch.

Brigandier

Had it on PC at launch and it was horrific, Got the native PS5 version when it released for cheap and it ran really well they really fixed it up and I thought it was a great game.

Will get the dlc eventually but backlogs.

I'll grab it on PC this time around, CDPR suck at console controls for shooters. Halted my two attempts at play throughs, first was launch bugs and poor perf, second was shit shooting controls.

The DLC and going PC instead with M+KB should finally be the sweet spot for me. Now I just have to finish the OG campaign first then DLC.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Too many games this year. Havent bought PL yet. I sure as hell aint gonna play the main story again.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's a very, very good DLC, yeah. Made my top 10 of the year I think because it warrants a place as the 22 hour experience I had.

2.0 also a clear improvement but I don't think it's the game-changing experience some claimed. None of it makes it an all-time great IMO.

Majukun

can't say about PL, but base game is good but not amazing in any sector.
still enjoyed it and finished it, but also forgot about it very fast

also, talking about base game, no idea what 2.0 actually entails, but i don't think it can completely change the game into a masterpiece

Last edited:

Bojji

i have yet to enter phantom libery DLC, but the base is still quite buggy and the NPC AI is still not really smart.

But its a good game, i do enjoy it. I keep trying to tell myself not to compare with rockstar games immersion.

Rockstar games are left only with better immersion (better NPC and traffic, police systems), everything else was always just ok (at best) in their games. CP is miles better overall.

The game is still a super buggy mess. As for everything else it's fine but i don't find it much more amazing than any other first-person western RPG.

There are not that many first person RPGs and this game objectively shits all over Starfield, Fallout 4 and Outer Worlds.

WOW thats crazy, you mean games that released intact, complete, didn't release with a series of lies or lawsuits and they are being praised?

Damn, why? /s

You can't be serious about BG3, they released massive patches since release and added a lot of missing content. AW2 is linear game so it's more difficult to fuck up.

Just finished the DLC after beating the 2.0 base game and holy fuck was this good. This game's disastrous launch will forever mar its reputation and some will never forgive CDPR for what they did (and I can't blame them) but for those willing to give it another shot, please go right ahead. The DLC is even better than the base game and I feel that's truly the Cyberpunk CDPR envisioned. Much more player agency and almost every quest involves input from the player on how things will pan out. The base game doesn't have much of this beyond the background responses that just give different dialog options that ultimately amount to nothing.

The quests are so well written too. None of that fetch-quest garbage. So much good dialog, voice acting, and creativity in them. No two quests are alike and some are damn tear-jerkers. This point leads me to the final one; the main quest of the DLC which to me is significantly better than that of the base game. Idris Elba, Keanu Reeves, the girl who voices So Mi, and everyone else is bringing their A game for this. The combat is also improved overall but the only problem is the level scaling but meh, I can get over that. More options on how to tackle challenges and new toys to play with for different builds. All are viable and satisfying to play. Brawler, stealth, hacking, gunner, ninja, you name it and it's fun and viable. Besides that, there are some fantastic, bombastic setpieces that don't just have the player sit on his ass and watch but have them be part of the action.

With that said, I can't wait for whatever CDPR brings next and hope to god that they take their time this time around because had Cyberpunk released in this state even in 2023, it would have been lauded by critics as a crowning achievement in gaming.

I know everyone is creaming over BG3 and Alan Wake 2 which rightfully deserve the praise but don't sleep on Cyberpunk 2077, and don't let the bad initial reception deter you from the game now. It's well worth your time.

Cyberpunk 2077 with PL is easily in top 3 this gen (with Elden Ring at 1st spot), one of the best gaming experiences ever made. I'm glad more and more people are releasing it.

EDMIX

they released massive patches since release and added a lot of missing content.
Yet none of those patches are core fucking elements missing added 3 years later.

AW2 is linear game so it's more difficult to fuck up.

lol yea, they don't have to deal with the next gen, complex, revolutionary idea of bad guy drive car...., they must have it easy /s

I don't get this anger at other games releasing complete, being praised by the community. Its like you guys are fucking pissed no other game is fucking up near what CP did.

Soooo yea, people tend to like games releasing complete, intact, working, functional elements, that sorta of thing.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I'm mostly creaming over ACVI.

lol you right to!

I'll check out ACVI later this year when I get more time, same with Lies Of P, Star Ocean Second Story, Alan Wake 2 and Spiderman 2. This was such a jam packed year, I forgot I bought that Yakuza Gaiden game from PlayAsia lol

So much great games released this year, I just don't see this DLC deserving of my time or money. We'll see maybe late next year on sale or something.

Top Bottom