• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arm Chair Analysis: How GAF and others overreact on Nintendo every single time.

FATALITY

Banned
"le epic Nintendo is doomed meme xD" is almost always guaranteed to get hits on your site/youtube video/whatever.

Nintendo have been around for a long time and will continue to be around well into the future.

i hope you are right because that would mean console gaming will be around for a long time.

i hate changings and innovations when comes to gaming, i know Nintendo was very innovative with wii and wii u but that didn't catch me, thats why i have no interest in vr as well, anyway im glad switch even tho has a twist of being kinda handheld still feels like a conventional console tv+controler+couch thats it, dont make do weird shit.

ill probably buy switch, but if they for some reason port all their wii u greatest hits to switch.
bro im there without blinking

You make a lot of great points, OP. I think it's safe to say that, despite the Internet's predilection for knee-jerk overreaction, there is a silver lining: the market doesn't have a great memory span. Once the Switch is out there, the discussion will lead more heavily towards what's out there as opposed to what's not. Depending on how well the Switch does will determine whether the discussions are positive or negative, not to mention how much more "DOOOOOOMED" and "I wish Nintendo would go mobile/third party" whining we see. I'd say a good foundation is in place to help the Switch become a success, but we don't know yet. It will be months before anyone can say for certain, and even then it might not be clear-cut (the 3DS started off poorly, after all).
It's all some people can do to hope for the worst in the meantime, I suppose. Fortunately even the current port-begging and concern trolling come with GAF users interested in actual discussion. There's always going to be people needing a way to get their kicks. There are many things Nintendo can do to make/break their following financial year, but we'll have to wait and see how the market - not the investors - react to it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Your thought police opinions have no place here OP, just in my opinion. if the job is to educate, it should be to educate, not chastise people on whatever they want to think.

If people think Nintendo has done a bad thing and want to freak out and melt down about it, they have a right to do that, just like we do when MS does something shitty, just when Sony does something shitty.

It just so happens a lot of people think Nintendo are on the wrong path. I mean, i am not really into the conversation about it, about dont really care about what Nintendo does outside of what i want them to do specifically(which they have already done) but its an opinion.

I don't like this brewing attitude that people should think a certain way or they are not coming from a legitimate place. If one has an issue with how people think, than call them out and debate them, don't make blanket claims.

Inuhanyou

If you already want to think somthing, you're on an uphill battle to be educated

People have opinions and they can stick to them or feel them strongly, that doesn't mean they cant be swayed. if they are debated with factual points and alternative viewpoints, most people who care about facts will think about what is being said in some way, even if they dont change their mind right away or at all.

Chastising people for having their own opinions on Switch or Nintendo, to whatever extremity feels irritating to me, especially because anyone can overreact to anything at any point for any reason.

Nobody has the obligation to be tempered in their reactions to things they might feel strongly. But it feels like OP is going beyond that and trying to imply that thinking a certain way to begin with is wrong because its too much in a negative direction towards a specific focus

DooMAGE

People buy Nintendo's hardware, despite how poorly designed it usually is, because of their great games. I hated the Wii U, but I loved the games on it.

If I had a choice, I'd avoid Nintendo hardware like the plague. They always do something wrong when designing their hardware.

I'm hoping they invest more into mobile gaming and go from there.

Wrong why? Because its not powered enough?

The hardware Works well, the games are great, very durable hardware... That its not I call a bad hardware.

ViolentP

You must not frequent Nintendo threads very often. The negativity about anything Nintendo does is just sickening, and always seems especially potent and hostile.

Why?

Nintendo fans always think they're getting the shit end of the stick. Fact is, this gen, Sony fans shit on Microsoft. PC gamers shit on Sony. Microsoft and Sony fans shit on Nintendo and PC. And Nintendo shits on everyone else.

The problem isn't the way people view Nintendo, it's the territorial nature of gaming communities. No ones hands are clean.

ksamedi

Good post OP but keep in mind that the majority here is not an expert. The point of a discussion forum is to give opinions and hear opinions of others to get more educated. There are a lot of great posters from which i learned a great deal here on GAF.

PSFan

"le epic Nintendo is doomed meme xD" is almost always guaranteed to get hits on your site/youtube video/whatever.

Nintendo have been around for a long time and will continue to be around well into the future.

The problem with that is, they haven't been in the game console business for that whole time. Whenever their product failed or starts to become less profitable, they switch to something.

So yeah, they have been around for a long time and will continue to be around. But not necessarily making game consoles.

13ruce

Banned
It's mostly jokes but there are sure people on the internet that act like Nintendo abused them or something. Microsoft sure does get a bit of hate but Sony is praised like the best gaming company ever to grace the world it's hilarious. Because during Ps3 gen they nearly were bankrupt.

Also only Nintendo and Microsoft have succesfull mobile games.

Anyway i don't hate any of those 3 and enjoy my Playstation and Nintendo Consoles etc. If i had the money i would even get a Xbone.

Some people just want to see Nintendo burn i guess.

I do agree though that some Nintendo fans defend them at all times and i would never defend a company for doing outright bad stuff. For example i was not happy with the Wii U and felt i wasted my money until a few years later it should not take that long to get good games. Also the Pokemon Go fiasco with them updating so slowly The Pokemon Comapny gamefreak and nintendo should wake up Niantic. And ofcourse the bad internet infastructure they have had for so long and don't let me start on friend codes.

Anyway maybe it also could be the so called Nintendrones that ruin perception on Nintendo and Nintendo fans. But i doubt thats it because there surely are also Xbox and Sony drones.

Whatever it is i don't know why but it sometimes is pretty heartbreaking to see people hating just cuz lolz.

It's not armchair analysis. We say Nintendo is doomed because we have decades of hard data showing a consistent decline in both their consoles and handhelds. [...] The Wii and the DS may have only been successful because of their relentless marketing with sex symbols like Beyonce and Seth Green.

The beautiful thing about this thread is that examples illustrating the OP flock to the thread naturally. :)

OP, you had me until you then decided to then armchair analyze Nintendo yourself using facts and arguments we've already seen a thousand times. Trading stock, by itself, doesn't really make your analysis much less armchair-y. But you have a point that people who trade based on headlines are even worse.

To add:

Why is their hardware so underpowered?

Lateral Thinking with Withered Technology

This has been Nintendo's design philosophy for years

The Wii followed this pattern (its motion control technology was nothing new), but the DS, 3DS, and WiiU did not. They were all experimental systems using relatively new technology. The DS used two screens FFS, one of them a touch screen which was something of a novelty in 2004. The 3DS had all that plus a 3D screen. The WiiU had some crazy advanced streaming tech and chased after the tablet craze.

How is any of this withered technology? It's definitely lateral thinking, but the strategy behind that doesn't add up. The Switch might be the closest thing Nintendo has made to "withered technology" in ages - a stable tablet computing platform with various peripherals to complement it.

Malakai

One of the items you missed that is fairly damning is nintendos terrible transition into the digital age that is often overlooked, the whole industry is heading that way, and nintendo? they're barely up on where they were 3 years ago.

See a comparison to Sony, courtesy of ZhugeEX

CvrqpttXYAAkbSc.jpg

This is a big item they need to sort to move forward, since Digital will only grow and grow and thats a big part of the switch that is unanswered.

I'm wondering if that chart includes the revenue from PlayStation Plus? A quick search indicates that the figure includes sales from movies and music as well.

Edit1: Looking at Sony financials on there IR page it looks like the PlayStation Plus are included the figures in the Chart, thus, the comparison is disingenuous.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I think it's pretty simple. It's the Sonic Cycle, Nintendo version. Nintendo is secretive and purposely vague on important details while their marketing makes claims like, "WiiU is for core gamers, we are looking to make it easy for 3rd-parties" and now "Switch is first and foremost a home console".

Then the leaks come and the cycle repeats. People were behind the idea of the Switch, hoping it could support 3rd-parties, have Pascal, be real home console that could Switch to a handheld. Then you find out portable mode is gimped so hard all hope is gone.

Wii had the Wiimote and Wii Sports. What does Switch have? Where is the proof of concept?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I can't remember, were folks calling for an end to Sony's gaming division during the Playstation 3's infamously rough first few years?

Wrong why? Because its not powered enough?

The hardware Works well, the games are great, very durable hardware... That its not I call a bad hardware.
Gamepad was a terrible concept that hardly any games utilised, it's uncomfortable to hold and has terrible battery life. Pro controller should have been the default controller. As you've pointed it though, it's also half as powerful as the competition while being at the same price point. The only thing the Wii U has going for it is it's great games, with it's hardware being the most unattractive part of the console.

Wii U isn't the only hardware they've made bad design decisions with, they're known for their unusual decisions with their hardware and it doesn't always turn out good.

As for why they always do it, it's probably in the hope of differentiating themselves from the competition, even if that leads to less third party support.

It seems to happen both ways on here quite a bit, when Nintendo do something you have a group saying f how it's the greatest thing ever then another group who say it's the worst thing ever. It's really hard to read Nintendo thread seriously on here because of it. Shame because there usually some great conversations in the middle of all the hubris.

This. The people that try to make out Nintendo like they can do no wrong is just as annoying if not worse. You want Nintendo to do better? Be critical of them.

It's unfortunate that you only take the time to perform your analysis on the Pro-Nintendo side of the argument but ignore the opposition. It leads to your post (which you obviously put a lot of effort into) coming across as a more obfuscated version of the same Nintendo fanboyism that most of the people you're complaining about are complaining about. You go to great lengths to point out how important objectivity and analysis is, and then fail to objectively analyze the topic yourself (or at least fail to present that fully objective analysis in your writeup). It's a great echo-chamber piece, and I'm sure many people will now show up to tell you how correct you are. However, I'm willing to bet that every person who showed up disagreeing with you also left that way, because all you did was insult their rationality rather than empathizing with and objectively discussing their concerns in any way.

Edit: And admitting that the Wii-U failed financially does not count as objectivity (it's the only negative you list in your analysis), it's actually just undeniable fact being leveraged for the sake of creating the illusion of objectivity.

Thank you.

Quasar

I think merging their console and handheld business is a bad idea. I could see more cross-buy type between each machine, but one console to rule both landscapes IMO won't work. I hope I'm wrong, and we see Nintendo come back stronger than ever, but with the current info we have, I don't see that happening, at least with Switch.

Makes some sense to me. With little to no third party support, they have to do most of the work themselves so having to support two platforms is too hard. This will allow them to have more games and game types than they had on say the WiiU.

Makes some sense to me. With little to no third party support, they have to do most of the work themselves so having to support two platforms is too hard. This will allow them to have more games and game types than they had on say the WiiU.

This is what gives me hope for the sustainability of the Switch. We already know it will be another niche Nintendo system but at least this time there shouldn't be the massive software droughts.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Presuming to lecture people on rational conclusions and then concluding that the Switch will do better than the WiiU because it has been 'more positively recieved' and is ' a better value preposition' despite the fact that many details are yet to be confirmed and the price is unknown, does not strike me as among the smartest commentary I've heard on the Internet about Nintendo of late.

Swing and a miss.

StoopKid

Please don't have an opinion about Nintendo unless it's positive.

Pretty much.

Gaf always goes in on every company when they make mistakes.

Remember the whole Sony has no money or PS3 no games thing that went on for years on message boards.

I stopped reading after you said there are expert day traders in short-term trading of stocks and options. Those chart readers might as well use chicken entrails to forecast price movements.

Caelus

The internet seems to overreact on everything because there's no real indicator of volume or tone in written text aside from formatting, so everything seems excessively negative or positive, I don't think it's something exclusive to Nintendo.

There are stupid attitudes regarding Nintendo, like those of condescension, but otherwise I think Nintendo's past decisions have justified some level of cynicism or caution. If they're successful, then people will reevaluate their perspective, in the end if you enjoy their games then nothing can really change that.

Yea fuck all that. It makes sense but OP doesn't seem to understand the nature of online message boards. Please go get a degree and work in a particular field for X amount of years before posting your take on a gaming company's decision on the internet. Looking forward to OP making similar threads about other topics that they qualify to speak on tho.

Naeval

NeoGaf is an american-centric forum. Nintendo had 90% of the american market a lot of time. For that reason every reaction about Nintendo is so radical :).

Übermatik;226985815 said:
People love to hate Nintendo. They've been such an established and successful company for so long that some people would really love to see them fail. It's borderline sadistic.
Yep. And I can never understand the thought process. These people seem to want LESS good games and innovation in the games industry. It's perplexing.

Inuhanyou

It seems like a lot of generalizations thrown around about people critical of Nintendo to me. "YOU JUST WANT NINTENDO TO FAIL!"

Malakai

Fair enough. To be more specific in my criticism, I was simply disappointed to see (at least in my reading) no discussion of past trends, because I think that's where the majority of Nintendo negativity lies. Your analysis seems to cherry pick (as you say yourself) recent events without considering them in light of overall trends. If a company's performance trajectory has been a net negative for decades then picking out a few positive recent events to justify that company's future health seems very short-sighted.

One could form a strong argument against your analysis based on the fact that the only real financial success in recent memory (that came directly from Nintendo's effort) was a retro toy device that has no real long term profit potential. The pokemon go stock growth was a fluke of investor ignorance, Super Mario Run has not shown any real monetization potential yet, and the Switch is possibly the most risky platform than Nintendo has released since the Wii. It's too large and fragile for the handheld market and not powerful enough for the console market. The launch line-up is very weak and mostly filled with remasters of games that the mainstream console crowd has already played. It could easily become another niche Nintendo platform that only serves one generation of first party games and then dies.

Personally, I don't see anything there that leads me to believe that Nintendo is poised to reverse their overall downward trajectory.

Hahahah. Nintendo had a downward trajectory for decades? Are you trolling?

nintendoprofits.jpg

The first few day had roughly 3.5% conversion rate. Which is a quite bit higher than the mobile gaming industry norms...

I'm sorry the Switch isn't the most risky platform than Nintendo ever released. The Wii U and 3DS are the most risky platforms that Nintendo have ever released. Considering the Wii U, at lanuch, didn't have any system sellers to utilized the Gamepad well and 3DS was very expensive, historically, for the price sensitive handheld console market and literally had warnings on the box saying this product shouldn't be used for children. The Wii U and the 3DS were extremely risky. Furthermore, we don't even know the price of the Switch yet, so, I don't understand how anyone can make the conclusion that the Switch is a risky product.

Are you an insider? How would you even know if the Switch line up is weak? You know what about "remaster", they sold very well early in the life of the Xbox One and PS4 and that Skyrim did move 300,000 units in the States in its first month.

ReaperXL7

I think that it's particularly difficult to look at Nintendos current place in the market and be anything but generally negative. Do they have some interesting ideas and something ahead that could potentially be succuessful in the Switch? Sure.

The problem for Nintendo is that they more then the other two major HW manufacturers are being besieged on all sides of their business. They aren't competitive with Sony/MS/ or PC on the console side and they are going to be fairly far behind in regards to network infrastructure. The handheld business fairs a bit better then their console one but the last numbers I saw had the 3DS being significantly down from where its predecessor was and Nintendo leadership had to take paycuts for a disaster of a launch. The handheld market has not grown since the launch of the 3DS, it's only gotten smaller and smaller as Phones and Tablets enter more homes because most people are perfectly fine with Mobile games for their commutes.

The Mobile strategy could pay off but it's going to depend on how Nintendo reacts to audience demands for that platform, Nintendo has always been stubborn and it's much harder to convince people to purchase software on a platform that has taught them that software should be dirt cheap or free. People downloaded Mario in big numbers but I'd be far more interested in a firm number of how many of those free downloads were converted into genuine purchases.

You can't even really use the old excuse of "People buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games" because that is proving to only be genuinely true if your already a Nintendo fan with the One exception being Pokemon, and Nintendo needs to appeal to more then just its aging existing fanbase if they want to see real relevancy again.

joecanada

WiiU - negative / neutral ??? I mean I see some overtly negative shit about Nintendo in threads but that's a whole heap of positives you got outta speculation .

Switch + , switch is the very definition of neutral noone knows what it will do.

In counter to the OP, most rational discussion of recent Nintendo news, sales, etc is immediately met with shouting of Nintendoomd!!!!! every time. See first page here .

Lothars

Hahahah. Nintendo had a downward trajectory for decades? Are you trolling?

I'm sorry the Switch isn't the most risky platform than Nintendo ever released. The Wii U and 3DS are the most risky platforms that Nintendo have ever released. Considering the Wii U, at lanuch, didn't have any system sellers to utilized the Gamepad well and 3DS was very expensive, historically, for the price sensitive handheld console market and literally had warnings on the box saying this product shouldn't be used for children. The Wii U and the 3DS were extremely risky. Furthermore, we don't even know the price of the Switch yet, so, I don't understand how anyone can make the conclusion that the Switch is a risky product.
I think you are out of your mind if you think the 3DS was a big risk, if anything the thing that caused the biggest risk is them overpricing the 3DS to an insane degree.

The Switch is absolutely a risk and has alot of unknowns which could cause real issues with the console including Price and Third Party Support, It's possible they might hit those marks and not drop the ball but who knows and with Nintendo's history, They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

You must not frequent Nintendo threads very often. The negativity about anything Nintendo does is just sickening, and always seems especially potent and hostile.

Why?

The negativity is sickeningly negative, and the positivity is sickeningly positive.

It tends to drown out the uninvested and ESPECIALLY the mildly invested negative/positive feedback. Such nuance simply gets mistaken for The Other and the dogma begins anew.

They aren't talking revenue they are talking hardware sales:

2939398-nintendo+unit+sales.jpg

Yes, let's exclude their handheld sales, because those obviously don't count as hardware. I guess nobody who owns a Nintendo handheld is gonna buy the Switch, huh?

Personal anecdote: I never bought a Wii U because I had a 3DS and a large number of the Wii U experiences they were offering I had access to in some form. At least, there were not enough different experiences on the Wii U to justify the outrageous price for me.

If Switch is priced in the handheld-to-Wii range, you can bet I'm gonna buy it, and it'll tempt other Nintendo handheld owners too. Not to mention people who skipped on the Wii U in general, if the software lineup is pleasing enough.

If there was going to be a Vita 2, I'd have a bit more consideration with my choice of hardware, but it's looking like there will be nothing else on the market that matches the experience of the Switch.

Terrell

People have opinions and they can stick to them or feel them strongly, that doesn't mean they cant be swayed. if they are debated with factual points and alternative viewpoints, most people who care about facts will think about what is being said in some way, even if they dont change their mind right away or at all.

There's the crux of the problem right there: most people who hold these opinions don't actually care about that. Because if they did, they wouldn't fly off the handle with only a small fraction of information.

We live in a society that feeds confirmation bias and feels a need for everything outside of that bias to frequently be taken down a peg. Video games have always had "us vs. them" fanboy bullshit, but the whole world operates like that now, which has only further magnified it in discussions involving fans of this entertainment sector. And there are people in the middle who just want it all to end.

The past is the past, as far as I'm concerned, and everything should be considered on individual merit and a presentation of all the facts, which I will admit is not an easy position for a person to naturally have. I think the OP and I are aligned on that and that is the only expectation.

I think you are out of your mind if you think the 3DS was a big risk, if anything the thing that caused the biggest risk is them overpricing the 3DS to an insane degree.

The Switch is absolutely a risk and has alot of unknowns which could cause real issues with the console including Price and Third Party Support, It's possible they might hit those marks and not drop the ball but who knows and with Nintendo's history, They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Looking at other Nintendo threads, it stretches far beyond "not getting the benefit of the doubt".

Malakai

The 3DS price was a huge risk. $250 USD price point was a huge risk. OG Gameboy price was $90 w/ a game. Gameboy Advance launch price was $99. If I can recall correctly, the DS launch price was $149.99. Also, when other manufacturer launched a handheld with a high price point, historically, it didn't do as well. (I think the PSP is the only exception)

18j2nvf71p73ojpg.jpg

How can anyone say the Switch is a big risk when we don't even know the launch line up nor do we know the price. However, given what we do know, the Switch consolidates the number of platforms Nintendo have to support. So, there shouldn't be huge drought that Wii U had in its first year. We know that Nintendo's software are extremely profitable and where Nintendo's get the bulk of profits. We know Nintendo is going to have at least one confirmed system seller it first year, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, something the Wii U didn't have it's first year. The Switch, as concept, at the bare minimum, reduces risk.

I agree with OP, but one thing that they didn't mention is that Nintendo is a very liquid company, which gives them more leeway to be more experimental, make mistakes, and take losses. Even though the Wii U was a financial flop, they handled it incredibly well. There were probably hundreds of articles written in the first few year of the Wii U's lifecycle calling Nintendo doomed, and begging them to get out of the console market.

Instead, Nintendo was able to dip into their savings during the lean years, avoiding layoffs thereby retaining all the staff and talent that they've trained over decades. They were also able fund and publish around two dozen exclusive titles for the platform, none of which were blockbusters financially but most of which were received warmly by critics and fans. This kept their fanbase from feeling wary of the company, compared to if they had just pulled the plug immediately on the Wii U once they realized it was a flop. Even though they lost money on the Wii U, they were able to keep the trust of fans. If they had quickly started to sunset the console ala Virtual Boy, Nintendo would never have had a successful console launch again, because every fan would hold off for years until Nintendo's commitment to the console was proven.

I just cannot imagine another company coming out of a failed console generation as strongly as Nintendo has. They were able to single-handedly carry that console over its entire lifecycle, and is now moving into the next generation with nearly all of their development teams focused on a single platform (the smaller mobile games projects being the only exception).

Lothars

How can anyone say the Switch is a big risk when we don't even know the launch line up nor do we know the price. However, given what we do know, the Switch consolidates the number of platforms Nintendo have to support. So, there shouldn't be huge drought that Wii U had in its first year. We know that Nintendo's software are extremely profitable and where Nintendo's get the bulk of profits. We know Nintendo is going to have at least one confirmed system seller it first year, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, something the Wii U didn't have it's first year. The Switch, as concept, at the bare minimum, reduces risk.
I never said the Switch is a big risk but it absolutely is a risk. The good thing is we should know everything in january.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Ok, multiconsole owner here, with a PS4 (with 4 games) and a Wii U (with about 20), and all past consoles and handhelds from both of them, all Sega, and both former Xbox-consoles, who also like to play strategy and adventure-stuff on PC. Just to clarify where i come from.

And I very much disagree that everybody gets equal negativity/positivity. Sony-threads are almost unanimously positive, while Nintendo-threads are always dominated by negativity. PC and MS is more balanced. And as a very frequent (too frequent probably) reader of the Nintendo-threads, i often get the impression that many of the people who criticize them either doesnt play Nintendo at all, or havent in a long while, illustrated by the CONSTANT "they only make Mario-games"-comments that we get in every thread.

Now legitimate criticism is of course fair and fine, and there is alot to discuss about Nintendo in that regard, but when the legitimate stuff is doubled up with the uneducated and/or trollish negativity from people who doesnt really care for Nintendo at all - then it just gets tiring. And it probably reinforces memes like "doomed since 1889" which is probably irritating for the few people who do have legitimate criticism as well.

Take the issue of if Nintendo should be going thirdparty, which a lot of people want them to do, and also sometimes tries to back it up with arguments. What is constantly ignored though is that
1) Sega, SNK, Hudson, Atari did it and got wrecked,
2) they actually do earn money on hardware,
3) they pay no royalties on their own hardware,
4) they earn some royalties from others,
5) they would have to increase develpment cost,
6) their incentive to develop niche games would disappear,
7) their incentive to spend years making the best and most polished games would disappear
8) there is no proven market for Nintendo-like games on the PS4 and
9) most of their effort would probably be used chasing mobile where there do exist a market for Nintendo-like games, although they would have to be heavily modified - and probably not as desireable for Nintendo-fans - to maximize potential there.

Sure, its still possible to make the argument that it would be good either for a consumer or the company to put all their games on the PS4, but then these points needs to be addressed - which they almost never are. Its always a simple "50 million to sell to instead of 10"-argument, and its these simple arguments that make you think that a lot of the critics either doesnt really care that much (for instance for Nintendos more niche games), or hasnt really thought it through.

Malakai

I never said the Switch is a big risk but it absolutely is a risk. The good thing is we should know everything in january.

I apologize for miss typing. However, the points listed in the previous post still demonstrate how the concept isn't that much of risk for software that Nintendo makes and sale.

Yes, let's exclude their handheld sales, because those obviously don't count as hardware. I guess nobody who owns a Nintendo handheld is gonna buy the Switch, huh?

Their handheld sales are very interesting as well. They obviously tend to be quite a bit higher than their console sales, but they're up and down. The GBA sold less than the GB and the DS sold less than the 3DS. In fact, unless the DS starts putting on some serious numbers over the next few years, which doesn't seem likely with the Switch arriving, it'll be Nintendo's worst selling handheld by a relatively decent chunk.

Ok, multiconsole owner here, with a PS4 (with 4 games) and a Wii U (with about 20), and all past consoles and handhelds from both of them, all Sega, and both former Xbox-consoles, who also like to play strategy and adventure-stuff on PC. Just to clarify where i come from.

And I very much disagree that everybody gets equal negativity/positivity. Sony-threads are almost unanimously positive, while Nintendo-threads are always dominated by negativity. PC and MS is more balanced. And as a very frequent (too frequent probably) reader of the Nintendo-threads, i often get the impression that many of the people who criticize them either doesnt play Nintendo at all, or havent in a long while, illustrated by the CONSTANT "they only make Mario-games"-comments that we get in every thread.

Now legitimate criticism is of course fair and fine, and there is alot to discuss about Nintendo in that regard, but when the legitimate stuff is doubled up with the uneducated and/or trollish negativity from people who doesnt really care for Nintendo at all - then it just gets tiring. And it probably reinforces memes like "doomed since 1889" which is probably irritating for the few people who do have legitimate criticism as well.

Take the issue of if Nintendo should be going thirdparty, which a lot of people want them to do, and also sometimes tries to back it up with arguments. What is constantly ignored though is that
1) Sega, SNK, Hudson, Atari did it and got wrecked,
2) they actually do earn money on hardware,
3) they pay no royalties on their own hardware,
4) they earn some royalties from others,
5) they would have to increase develpment cost,
6) their incentive to develop niche games would disappear,
7) their incentive to spend years making the best and most polished games would disappear
8) there is no proven market for Nintendo-like games on the PS4 and
9) most of their effort would probably be used chasing mobile where there do exist a market for Nintendo-like games, although they would have to be heavily modified - and probably not as desireable for Nintendo-fans - to maximize potential there.

Sure, its still possible to make the argument that it would be good either for a consumer or the company to put all their games on the PS4, but then these points needs to be addressed - which they almost never are. Its always a simple "50 million to sell to instead of 10"-argument, and its these simple arguments that make you think that a lot of the critics either doesnt really care that much (for instance for Nintendos more niche games), or hasnt really thought it through.
Fantastically well said.

Malakai

Their handheld sales are very interesting as well. They obviously tend to be quite a bit higher than their console sales, but they're up and down. The GBA sold less than the GB and the DS sold less than the 3DS. In fact, unless the DS starts putting on some serious numbers over the next few years, which doesn't seem likely with the Switch arriving, it'll be Nintendo's worst selling handheld by a relatively decent chunk.

Every console ever released, when compared to the DS sales, especially to the fact it moved over 150 million units of hardware in roughly 8 years, would look like a failure. The rate of the DS sales is freaking unprecedented. At the DS peak it was moving almost 30 million units a year for three years straight. In Japan and in the US it holds the record of highest platform sales. It took PS2 nearly 11 to 12 years to reach that figure and that is with the PS2 received major AAA investments from major third parties vs what the DS received.

And I very much disagree that everybody gets equal negativity/positivity. Sony-threads are almost unanimously positive, while Nintendo-threads are always dominated by negativity.

Positive and negative reactions generally come down to how the manufacturer is performing at the time. For example, you note that Sony threads are almost unanimously positive. That sure as hell wasn't the case early on during the PS3. You know, the Wii60 days? The age of Sony is over days? They got ripped apart constantly.

Every console ever released, when compared to the DS sales, especially to the fact it moved over 150 million units of hardware in roughly 8 years, would like a failure. The rate of the DS sales is freaking unprecedented. At the DS peak it was moving almost 30 million units a year for three years straight. In Japan and in the US it holds the record of highest platform sales. It took PS2 nearly 11 to 12 years to reach that figure and that is with the PS2 received major AAA investments from major third parties vs what the DS received.

But i'm not just comparing it to the 3DS. The DS will be the worst selling Nintendo handheld if it doesn't pick up considerably. Not just lower than the 3DS, but lower than the GB and GBA as well. Nintendo's last sales update put it at 61m while the GBA is at 81m. That's a lot of room to make up.

LordRaptor

But i'm not just comparing it to the 3DS. The DS will be the worst selling Nintendo handheld if it doesn't pick up considerably. Not just lower than the 3DS, but lower than the GB and GBA as well. Nintendo's last sales update put it at 61m while the GBA is at 81m. That's a lot of room to make up.

I think you're confusing DS with 3DS.

Where in his post did he say that Nintendo is doomed?
This "Nintendo is doomed" nonsense to stifle every form of critique towards Nintendo is just childish.

Most critic here is "Nintendo is doomed" at its base, even if they use fancy graphs to hide it. For example, you looked into the data the digital sales diagram is based on? It's hilarious but this diagram is used in threads like this quite often. It gets boring and between this doom posts the well thought critic get lost.

In Nintendo threads there are always people that want to turn it in a "doom" thread. They do this so constantly that I hope they get paid for it, otherwise it would be weird and bit sad.

Top Bottom