• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Look who appeared in a poor youtuber stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJA3cTp0S38

Man is an incredible player, the guy never stood a chance against DNAman XD

Cheers folks, I ended up getting both Splatoon 2 and Arms because I had a whynotboth.gif moment when I got to the shop.
Since both games are centered around different control systems than more standard gamepad controls remember to be a bit patient during the learning process. XD

bu-but I thought serious pro play will devolve into defensive waiting ... :D
Interesting that you brought that up. How did that saga ended?

i ask because i haven't been following this thread with much dedication. Does he still posts in here. Did he changed his mind?

Since both games are centered around different control systems than more standard gamepad controls remember to be a bit patient during the learning process. XD

i ask because i haven't been following this thread with much dedication. Does he still posts in here. Did he changed his mind?

Ah, yes; that guy. Once he realized he was wrong, he took his ball and went home, so to speak.

Figments

Picked up this game when I got a Switch this past weekend. It's a fucking blast, probably my most played game on the Switch right now (sorry, Zelda).

I really wish I could stream this game to Twitch from the system, though. I'm sorely missing that from playing on my Xbox.

Man, I feel bad though. Twintelle is so defensive in the sense that her Starstruck gives her enough time for the camera to center on Helix's puddle and they usually have thunderbirds which can hit puddle form anyway, meaning all I can really do to fight them is stay in tower mode most of the time, chipping away at them and rushing.

It kinda sucks since some people somewhat look down on tower mode.

terrible session of ARMS today. lost a rank. back to 15
Fough some good players ,but also played pretty poorly..
Guess playing after a day of splatoon 2 wasn't the best idea

Picked up this game when I got a Switch this past weekend. It's a fucking blast, probably my most played game on the Switch right now (sorry, Zelda).
Since you and EmiPrime are fresh ARMS players, here's a link of a video i saw recently. i think is a good example of casual or midlevel play to get an idea of the basics (skip the first fight):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBe...aipkvrz1dgdose5v2ql1w03c010c.1504486361555815

A first step for know... it serves as an appetizer until moving to the magician/highlevel stuff (Goremangalas, PvPs, Catfights) of of the world. XD

Ah, yes; that guy. Once he realized he was wrong, he took his ball and went home, so to speak.

To be clear im not been snarky or have any ill feelings towards the gentleman. All been said, he does know fighting games. However, maybe he shares the same point of view most in the fighting community have and that is, the community tends to be close minded when different stuff appears.

But definitely, not just him in particular, but many people of all skill levels passed judgment on this game too quickly... i think.

Man, I feel bad though. Twintelle is so defensive in the sense that her Starstruck gives her enough time for the camera to center on Helix's puddle and they usually have thunderbirds which can hit puddle form anyway, meaning all I can really do to fight them is stay in tower mode most of the time, chipping away at them and rushing.

It kinda sucks since some people somewhat look down on tower mode.
So there are solid strategies against Helix heterodox way to play... that's nice to hear.

How do you counter Twintelle strats? i' ve seen high ranked players of her using slowdown + Thunderbirds to inmovilize opponents and then hitting/throwing/rushing. Seems like a consistent strategy that's not easy to counter.

Since you and EmiPrime are fresh ARMS players, here's a link of a video i saw recently. i think is a good example of casual or midlevel play to get an idea of the basics (skip the first fight):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBe...aipkvrz1dgdose5v2ql1w03c010c.1504486361555815

A first step for know... it serves as an appetizer until moving to the magician/highlevel stuff (Goremangalas, PvPs, Catfights) of of the world. XD

To be clear im not been snarky or have any ill feelings towards the gentleman. All been said, he does know fighting games. However, maybe he shares the same point of view most in the fighting community have and that is, the community tends to be close minded when different stuff appears.

But definitely, not just him in particular, but many people of all skill levels passed judgment on this game too quickly... i think.

So there are solid strategies against Helix heterodox way to play... that's nice to hear.

How do you counter Twintelle strats? i' ve seen high ranked players of her using slowdown + Thunderbirds to inmovilize opponents and then hitting/throwing/rushing. Seems like a consistent strategy that's not easy to counter.

I would recommend baiting out their punches and blocking, since Thunderbirds take a long time to come back to the user when blocked or punched. Similarly, any medium weight arm that comes back quickly such as toasters or Bubbs can be nice for that reason. Also, charged Nades negate part of her strategy, since the delayed explosion and relatively spammable nature of them makes it so Twintelle cannot effectively block counter. When against birds in general I advise that you're always moving since when she punches they'll move towards where you were at the time of punching. Try not to jump since they're pretty anti-air. Something people don't take advantage of is that birds are easy to evade if you dash/jump backwards. Another thing you want to focus on if you don't have nades is to never allow her to block. If you're going to punch, intentionally curve the punch through the Starstruck and miss intentionally so she doesn't have the chance to block counter (more effective at longer ranges). If the Twintelle isn't that aggressive I recommend safely poking here and there to obtain rush. and if they're aggressive it's a matter of prediction and taking everything I've stated into account. Some people like Spring Man,Max Brass, Helix, and maybe Min Min can prove good since they also have defensive options of their own. If you have a specific character maybe I can go more in depth. Oh! If you know you're going to get hit, jump! That way if the thunderbird is charged it won't electrify you.

I would recommend baiting out their punches and blocking, since Thunderbirds take a long time to come back to the user when blocked or punched. Similarly, any medium weight arm that comes back quickly such as toasters or Bubbs can be nice for that reason. Also, charged Nades negate part of her strategy, since the delayed explosion and relatively spammable nature of them makes it so Twintelle cannot effectively block counter. When against birds in general I advise that you're always moving since when she punches they'll move towards where you were at the time of punching. Try not to jump since they're pretty anti-air. Something people don't take advantage of is that birds are easy to evade if you dash/jump backwards. Another thing you want to focus on if you don't have nades is to never allow her to block. If you're going to punch, intentionally curve the punch through the Starstruck and miss intentionally so she doesn't have the chance to block counter (more effective at longer ranges). If the Twintelle isn't that aggressive I recommend safely poking here and there to obtain rush. and if they're aggressive it's a matter of prediction and taking everything I've stated into account. Some people like Spring Man,Max Brass, Helix, and maybe Min Min can prove good since they also have defensive options of their own. If you have a specific character maybe I can go more in depth. Oh! If you know you're going to get hit, jump! That way if the thunderbird is charged it won't electrify you.
This is like talking to a good chef and getting a tasty recepi. It made a considerable difference. Apreciate the advice.

Although things change when the rival is agressive and likes to play an inside game. But i would thing this is due to lack of ability and not necessarily that the advice doesn't work in this situation.

Regiruler

I thought you could have a punch qued for wakeup to prevent instant grabs.

Any reason why the combo uses mummy other than his grab damage?

I thought you could have a punch qued for wakeup to prevent instant grabs.

Any reason why the combo uses mummy other than his grab damage?

It's just for grab damage, at worst you get 50 less damage depending on the character. It also isn't dependent on the ARMS either, many arms can do 500-800 damage combos.

I'm not sure what you mean by the first part. I timed the end of the rush to make sure he was electrified for the guaranteed grab. Certain ARMS can end rush and leave the enemy standing instead of knocking them down.

Doorman

WHOA! Does this mean I can assign guarding to a button on the pro controller??

Why yes you can!

Hopefully this info gets around because I feel like it could catch the interest of a lot of people who don't currently own the game due to control concerns / bad Testpunch experience.

Roo

I remember wanting button mapping to be a thing so bad at launch. Mostly because I didn't knew what the hell I was doing back then but now I find the controls easy and comfortable to use.

The only change I'd make is the block/shield one, yeah. Pressing the stick never felt *right*

Sinthetic

Really glad about the button remap. Most of my losses are due to me not being able to hit block comfortably.

Now we just need confirmation of more alt colours.

i wonder what effect this will have over the different control scheme dynamics since some mappings decisions were to balance them. Main example being Block mapped to Thumbstick click. Although besides movement was there any other complains regarding motion controls?

The good news is that single Joycon play got a boost in usability. Putting the Wriststrap will allow for the controls to work like dual Joycon with grip or a Pro controller by mapping punches to SR & SL. That was one of the alternatives i suggest before the game released.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Just started playing this, are motion controls preferred? I have only messed around undocked but I feel like it's hard to wrap my head around guiding two punches in the air.

Just started playing this, are motion controls preferred? I have only messed around undocked but I feel like it's hard to wrap my head around guiding two punches in the air.

I think the general consensus is that it boils down to personal preference. Some swear by the motion controls, like the dev team; others, like myself, use only traditional controls. Both are equally valid, and the button mapping options coming soon will help alleviate most control issues.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

I found motion controls to be amazingly intuitive for the most part...

But surprisingly tiring. Like it probably could be considered a good light exercise for elderly folks.

I should talk my local rehab center into creating an ARMS League for the seniors.

I use motion controls because I simply find them more fun. But I have noticed that most of the best players seem to use traditional controls.

Sorbete

Sorry ARMS community, enjoyed the Test Punch and bought the game at launch, was really excited but it became more competitive than I thought, I suck at this game and don't really have time to get good so I dropped it. Sorry at least I bought it lol

While quite a few of the top players do use traditional, remember that the legendary Yabuki himself uses motion controls proudly!
The problem is Mr. Yabuki is not a top player anymore XD

Now we are at the point that you can totally know when a high level player is using traditional controls. In youtube there's only 1 level 20 motion control player (that i knoe of) and last i checked he's barely in top 100 world wide. i think if he is interested in tournaments is a matter of time for him to switch to normal controls, specially after the button configuration update happens.

i was talking with Asis about this today, but Nintendo should have stuck to their guns and have their official tournaments feature motion controls in some way. Why? because in terms of exposure it helps to set the game apart a bit more, specially when televising the tournaments, than having 2 zombified guys looking at a screen pushing buttons.
"zombified" is in jesting terms, so no offence wanted.

atr0cious

So, you can do more with motion than sticks now, almost literally with all the binding options. You can bind guard to the s buttons and turn up curving sensitivity for quicker activation. Only thing that's not great is that sticks can still be overridden with too much hand movement. But it does switch back and forth relatively quicker, though it's still not ideal. Need them to lock chosen control options.

Edit: currently working out a motion config with the top s buttons being punch and bottom bound to guard. Throwing punches was hard with my disability, but now I've got the best of both worlds and only have to tilt to move and curve punches.

And Lola has decent alts, though I like the default the best.

JavyOO7

Her funchuck takes getting to used to since there's a delay when you throw that arm... but I'm getting used to it. She's so fun and adorable and cute and STRONK

Top Bottom