• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

If anyone would like some tips and tricks, feel free to arrange a few fights with me and I'll do my best to provide advice.

By the way there's an update today.

SInce the tips and tricks subject was brought up how do i get by against an agressive player like this:

https://youtu.be/XtTquX6cSR8

It's an Spring Man user that goes by the name Support NA (maybe is one of the guys in here). Similar situation i came across with Min Min users. They don't even let you stand up.

i also wonder if the Thunderbird changes alluded in the patch notes has anything to do with a siilar situation when playing against Twientelle.

Regiruler

Version 3.1 is live, it has the Sparring Ring stage added, and the following balance changes.

3.1.PNG

Why the unholy fuck would they NERF clapback's rush damage? Nobody is using it and successfully getting its rush to connect is an exercise in frustration.

Nightii

Banned
SInce the tips and tricks subject was brought up how do i get by against an agressive player like this:

It's an Spring Man user that goes by the name Support NA (maybe is one of the guys in here). Similar situation i came across with Min Min users. They don't even let you stand up.

i also wonder if the Thunderbird changes alluded in the patch notes has anything to do with a siilar situation when playing against Twientelle.

Well, the main reason the Spring Man was capable of harrassing so much up close was that the Mechanica (is that you?) never blocked on wakeup, not even once, as far as I have seen. So he could just use the quickness of charged Toaster to beat any punch she could throw upon getting up.

You need to make him respect your wakeup options, block and insta-counter when he tries to hit you until he learns to not go in wild, it's hard, but OKI is a big part of the game.

As a Mechanica, that can be tough. It's all about noticing both their patterns, and you're own. If they tend to always punch, then block. Against someone like Spring and Brass sometimes it's not best to immediately grab or punch since they'll likely reflect on wake up. Meanwhile notice your own patterns in the sense of what. You do after performing certain rolls. If you always roll forward and block, that's a bad thing. If you always roll right and dash right, consider rolling right and dashing left. In his particular case only the toaster would be capable of knocking you down so perhaps switch the location of your arms so your heavy arm would be on the right. Though it's also best to att not to prevent that situation if possible, to get out it's basically a matter of doing something they didn't expect long enough to gain distance. Don't even focus on hitting them or knocking them down, focus on trading punches for protection and running away. The only exception is if you block their wake up attack and counter with your own punches or a grab.

Any tips/vids for actually being good at this game?

As of now I've only really dabbled in some local multi matches (and damn this game is fantastic for that), but I've played a bit of Grand Prix this morning and it's been really fun.
Tackled rank 3 easy enough, so gonna move onto rank 4 and Hedlok, and if I can manage that I think I'll be content crossing this game off my 'backlog list'.

But I guess I also just want to be competent and fully grasp the mechanics and everything, just to somewhat give the game an accurate assessment rather than a superficial "it's fun!".

As of now my best tactic is abusing Ribbon Girl's dive auto-charging her ARMS chaining the stun effect from her electric ARM into a grab.

Surprised to see players using Clap Back + Guardian and still be competitive:

https://youtu.be/7C2DOW4Jduo

i think there are some other interesting matches in the video.

There's something that confuses me about the ranking page. i was congratulating Mr. Gore for advancing upwards in the ranking ladder up to the 2nd spot. Sometine after i checked the boards and didn't even see him listed. Now he is listed again but at 6th place.

Why did that happen and what is exactly the criteria of qualification? Also it's a need detail that the rank bar turns to Gold once the max is reached. So it is another classification within the higher rank. XD

JavyOO7

Some changes I'd like to see this update come to mind... unless you can do them already?

- in versus, I like facing the cpu level 7 to practice before heading to rank. Currently, I set the fight to best of 5. It'd be great if I can set to best of 7. Or even infinite.
- in the same mode I'd like to choose the cpu's arms instead of them choosing it. It'd be cool to do it in game on pause menu too.

And then eventually I'd love to upload my fights to youtube. I'm going to buy an elgato device soon, but it'd be nice to do it natively on the Switch too. And if such a thing does happen, then please don't limit it to like 6/12 like MK8 deluxe did... but more than that.

jdstorm

Banned
Finally jumped back in today because of the new patch. Gave the pro controller a go.

Definitely greatly prefer the motion controls.

Is there a standard button remapping scheme or is it just do whatever works?

Surprised to see players using Clap Back + Guardian and still be competitive:

https://youtu.be/7C2DOW4Jduo

i think there are some other interesting matches in the video.

There's something that confuses me about the ranking page. i was congratulating Mr. Gore for advancing upwards in the ranking ladder up to the 2nd spot. Sometine after i checked the boards and didn't even see him listed. Now he is listed again but at 6th place.

Why did that happen and what is exactly the criteria of qualification? Also it's a need detail that the rank bar turns to Gold once the max is reached. So it is another classification within the higher rank. XD

A lot of people on the leaderboard changed their name to Support NA or Support EU and Nintendo ended up kicking everyone on the list. I was bumped down from 2 to 4 because of it, pretty sure it was just Nintendo being salty. In any case, since most of the top players have a win rate of 100%, I think at that point it's either randomized or based on games played or some other criteria like rounds won.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Any news on when we can expect the update?

Edit: also, does anyone else not like the current method of choosing alternate color schemes?

Having to select the character before seeing what they look like is too slow...
Why can't we just use the Y button?

Is anyone here TheSadKid:

https://youtu.be/gJEra0X9Eb8

Good player and nice matches... was really interesting to see.

A lot of people on the leaderboard changed their name to Support NA or Support EU and Nintendo ended up kicking everyone on the list. I was bumped down from 2 to 4 because of it, pretty sure it was just Nintendo being salty. In any case, since most of the top players have a win rate of 100%, I think at that point it's either randomized or based on games played or some other criteria like rounds won.
Check your private message inbox Mr. Gore XD

Can you tell the reason behind changing your names like that?

So, our old pal Biff posted something rather interesting last night...

A gif of Metal Spring in action!

Shall we fire up the old ARMS Speculation Lab, folks?

As we can see here, MS is going through 1v100 mode. The RNA Men assault him in the DNA Lab, and the combination of test tubes and a rapidly changing camera angle make it difficult to make out much.

He SEEMS to be using the Toasters, or perhaps a new variant of them. The ARMS are definitely Fire attribute, as we can see flames on them when he charges.

It seems he has some sort of Insta-Shield ability very reminiscent of the Sonic 3 maneuver. An aura of electrical power seems to surround him for a moment, deflecting punches near him. It also seems that this move charges his ARMS. He seems to hover in the air for a moment when he does this as well. It's unclear if he can move or if he's locked in place...

Possibly the most interesting thing we can see is his animation at the end, where his legs and neck seem to telescope outwards. It's almost reminiscent of Helix's win animation where he stretches upwards as though looking at his fallen foe...

Could this be his secondary ability? Or is it simply a win animation...?

Rafavert

So, our old pal Biff posted something rather interesting last night...

A gif of Metal Spring in action!

Shall we fire up the old ARMS Speculation Lab, folks?

As we can see here, MS is going through 1v100 mode. The RNA Men assault him in the DNA Lab, and the combination of test tubes and a rapidly changing camera angle make it difficult to make out much.

He SEEMS to be using the Toasters, or perhaps a new variant of them. The ARMS are definitely Fire attribute, as we can see flames on them when he charges.

It seems he has some sort of Insta-Shield ability very reminiscent of the Sonic 3 maneuver. An aura of electrical power seems to surround him for a moment, deflecting punches near him. It also seems that this move charges his ARMS. He seems to hover in the air for a moment when he does this as well. It's unclear if he can move or if he's locked in place...

Possibly the most interesting thing we can see is his animation at the end, where his legs and neck seem to telescope outwards. It's almost reminiscent of Helix's win animation where he stretches upwards as though looking at his fallen foe...

Could this be his secondary ability? Or is it simply a win animation...?

Love me some speculation!

I think the defensive move is a spin of sorts. Spin to deflect projectiles. Kind of like MinMin's kick.

As for charging, might be the exact opposite. I'd risk saying it's an action done once you come out of the dodging animation. So you didn't charge because you used it. You dodged and charged and then spun. Or the spin itself is the dodge? Would be an interesting option, but it'd need to have something to make up for the lose of mobility.

As for WHAT the character is.... Hard to say. The final animation looks like Spring Man's, sans the fist raising part. This one hops back and just stands there.

I brought my Switch and 8 games for my nephew and niece to play for Thanksgiving last weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving was last weekend). I was like "What game do you guys want to play?"
"ARMS! ARMS!"

So cute watching them play two player

Love me some speculation!

I think the defensive move is a spin of sorts. Spin to deflect projectiles. Kind of like MinMin's kick.

As for charging, might be the exact opposite. I'd risk saying it's an action done once you come out of the dodging animation. So you didn't charge because you used it. You dodged and charged and then spun. Or the spin itself is the dodge? Would be an interesting option, but it'd need to have something to make up for the lose of mobility.

As for WHAT the character is.... Hard to say. The final animation looks like Spring Man's, sans the fist raising part. This one hops back and just stands there.

Yes, he seems to enter some sort of pirouette motion when performing his defense maneuver...

It's unclear if the action charges his ARMS or if they simply maintained a charge from beforehand...

It's fairly clear (at least from the 3.2 trailer) that he's a robotic Spring Man; the main question is what sort of differences he has from the flesh and blood Spring...

Rafavert

Yes, he seems to enter some sort of pirouette motion when performing his defense maneuver...

It's unclear if the action charges his ARMS or if they simply maintained a charge from beforehand...

It's fairly clear (at least from the 3.2 trailer) that he's a robotic Spring Man; the main question is what sort of differences he has from the flesh and blood Spring...

And why he exists.

Attempt at creating an artificial ARMS user? Maybe part of the hedlok/chestlok project?

ARMS needs to be properly explored.

He could simply be a clone (in the fighting game sense). Disappointing,
though

And why he exists.

Attempt at creating an artificial ARMS user? Maybe part of the hedlok/chestlok project?

ARMS needs to be properly explored.

He could simply be a clone (in the fighting game sense). Disappointing,
though

My theory, given that his home stage seems to be the Sparring Ring, is that he was built to train ARMS Fighters and went rogue, as ARMS Labs' experiments tend to do. Alternatively, he was built to defeat and replace Spring Man by... someone. And then there's the possibility of what you said: he's the result of an artificial Fighter project/ natural progression of the Hedlok line.

Watching the footage again, I've noticed just how much force the aura deflects the RNA Men's ARMS with...

Could his ability work like the Clapback, dealing damage and deflecting simultaneously? Alternatively, it could just disable them for a short while...

i think it would be interesting if the new character was unlocked through the campaign mode. It could add a bit of new flavor dialogue during the grand prix, some alternate ending artwork and maybe some of the added badges could be earned while playing this mode.

This would be rather easy to implement with minimal work. On the other hand " people just want new sh!t NOW!" XD

mrmickfran

Finally got to try it. This is a fighter that I could see myself getting good at.

Unlike Street Fighter or Smash where I'm fucking TRASH.

Speely

Banned
I am so bad at this game but I love it.

Like, I am hot trash. Scrubsville.

I play primarily against my roommates, who are all fighting game folks, and they use pro controllers. I am the only motion devotee.

My mission is to get so good that I tear all their faces off every fucking match. Wish me luck.

jerd

Finally picked this up and it's been a blast. Pretty much exclusively played 2v2 with a friend so far but am planning on trying out ranked soon. I assume pro controller is the way to go for competitive? Motion is really fun but it definitely feels like I'm losing a lot of time on inputs

Looks like it's up now

Edit: no more Events? Interesting.

I have tons of money now 😍

Edit 2: I guess Metal Spring Man isn't a thing in this update unless I'm missing something

czk51

Metal Springman will be pesting around in Grand Prix by the sounds of things:

"We’ve identified an interloper who has been disrupting the Grand Prix, going after our fiercest competitors. If encountered, we advise you to dispatch them with prejudice."

Metal Springman will be pesting around in Grand Prix by the sounds of things:

"We’ve identified an interloper who has been disrupting the Grand Prix, going after our fiercest competitors. If encountered, we advise you to dispatch them with prejudice."

That's funny, I just thought this might be the case and there it is

Interesting that it piled on the badges for activities past initially and now having played Party mode a bit it gave me a badge for my "first Party mode game" or something.

Top Bottom