• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

Guilty_AI

No they don’t.
yes they do

xVCOgdI.png

Maybe valve changed it or they hate helldivers 2 as much as the community but:

The system targets "off-topic" reviews, basically reviews left that are unrelated to the game itself - like the example above where it was Ukraine-war related, or Borderlands 2 which was due to Borderlands 3 being epic exclusive.

The PSN account requirement in HD2 and the woes that come with it aren't off-topic.

Last edited:

DrFigs

yes they do

xVCOgdI.png

The system targets "off-topic" reviews, basically reviews left that are unrelated to the game itself - like the example above where it was Ukraine-war related, or Borderlands 2 which was due to Borderlands 3 being epic exclusive.

The PSN account requirement in HD2 and the woes that come with it aren't off-topic.
they are if it isn't in the game right?

Fabieter

It directly affects the product/experience, so it is related to the game.

Naturally, it is ultimately up to Valve's interpretation, but if they haven't stopped it yet so they likely consider it on-topic.

Well ofc it is on topic in hd2, but what about AH other games? Psn requirements in hd2 don't affect the experience of players in HD1.

Guilty_AI

Well ofc it is on topic in hd2, but what about AH other games? Psn requirements in hd2 don't affect the experience of players in HD1.
Those are most likely to be taken by the system, however from what i've seen of it before it is not automatic so it might take a while.

Mortisfacio

fDisfrd.png

We'll see how this goes, but it's amusing seeing an uptick every weekend relative to the mid week numbers. This weekend is the first time the peak actually went down on a weekend. Will this fizzle out and return the normal downtrend it was seeing? Will see soon enough.

They are now review-bombing God of War :messenger_tears_of_joy:

:messenger_tears_of_joy: I’ve never seen a bunch of whiny entitled bastards like modern day PC gamers. I can’t associate myself with these clowns even though I heavily game on PC. This is pathetic lol. What does Sony Santa Monica have to do with PlayStation and Arrowhead’s fuckups?

Mortisfacio

:messenger_tears_of_joy: I’ve never seen a bunch of whiny entitled bastards like modern day PC gamers. I can’t associate myself with these clowns even though I heavily game on PC. This is pathetic lol. What does Sony Santa Monica have to do with PlayStation and Arrowhead’s fuckups?

I'd like to see them spread the bombing to all games in general that require 3rd party auth to play a game, personally. I think it's a crappy practice. At this point it's just hate towards Sony, so their 1st parties get review bombed.

Last edited:

feynoob

fDisfrd.png

We'll see how this goes, but it's amusing seeing an uptick every weekend relative to the mid week numbers. This weekend is the first time the peak actually went down on a weekend. Will this fizzle out and return the normal downtrend it was seeing? Will see soon enough.
It wont, if the game isnt available in other countries.

Guilty_AI

they're not "review bombing" it, its ~50 odd people doing it.

nlLlVG5.png

I'd like to see them spread the bombing to all games in general that require 3rd party auth to play a game, personally. I think it's a crappy practice. At this point it's just hate towards Sony, so their 1st parties get review bombed.
This is exactly why Sony won’t take this shit seriously. These idiots have moved from legitimate complaint territory to emotional whining and bitching territory. Review bombing only Sony’s first party games just makes the whole thing personal and doesn’t solve any problems.

Mortisfacio

This is exactly why Sony won’t take this shit seriously. These idiots have moved from legitimate complaint territory to emotional whining and bitching territory. Review bombing only Sony’s first party games just makes the whole thing personal and doesn’t solve any problems.

Because 50 people wrote a negative review on some other game?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Yea, Sony definitely won’t take anything seriously now that a handful of people poorly reviewed other games. That is definitely how that works! /s

feynoob

T Three Fabieter Fabieter

PC Frequently Asked Questions​

helldivers-2-pc-minor-2-pc

How will I receive digital PC games that I purchase direct from PlayStation?
You’ll receive a separate email following your order confirmation with your voucher code to redeem on Steam. You’ll also be able to see your voucher code in your Order Details.

Do I need a PSN account to play PlayStation games on PC?
No, you currently do not need a PSN account to enjoy PlayStation Studios games on PC, but you will need a Steam account to redeem your voucher code. Some of our PlayStation Studios titles also offer incentives for linking your Steam and PSN accounts.

Can I use a DualSense controller to play PlayStation games on PC?
Yes, you can use a DualSense or DualSense Edge controller to play PlayStation Studios games on PC via a wired connection. Support of DualSense specific features and wireless connectivity varies by title. Visit our DualSense support page for more information.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Do I need a PSN account to play PlayStation games on PC?
No, you currently do not need a PSN account to enjoy PlayStation Studios games on PC, but you will need a Steam account to redeem your voucher code. Some of our PlayStation Studios titles also offer incentives for linking your Steam and PSN accounts.
Studios games on PC via a wired connection. Support of DualSense specific features and wireless connectivity varies by title. Visit our DualSense support page for more information.

That 'currently' is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

DeaDPo0L84

People exist like this for every platform, and they're all bottom feeding brainless morons.

Sony should turn this into a huge marketing opportunity.

Tell PC gamers... ok, we hear you. If you truly want things to go back as they were before... you must fight for it in the game.. and have a huge event where everyone must work together to defeat PSN themed bots and liberate planet Steam from PSN :LOL:

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Hopefully something positive will come out of this whole situation like a more humble and communicative Sony...

Sony isn't going to care. Sony/PlayStation has had much worse press in the past and survived fine. This will be a blip on their radar. Unfortunately, it will be Arrowhead that will pay the price for the negative scores. The same people that praised Arrowhead for game play are the same people that are going to kill the game with negative reviews over the secondary account requirement.

I think Sony can see this for it is: a VERY clear messaging by the PC community on how they won't shut up and accept whatever anti-consumer moves that comes thier way. There will be a swift and loud outcry. A few stray votes doesn't dilute the overall message whatsoever.

And before someone starts ”whatabouting” on ubisoft or ea, it's good to remind ourselves that both EA and ubisoft are generally looked at quite negatively. Sony is "currently"...not in that bracket. As a business, Sony should quickly revert this poor decision ASAP.

nosoynadie22

Gold Member
Sony isn't going to care. Sony/PlayStation has had much worse press in the past and survived fine. This will be a blip on their radar. Unfortunately, it will be Arrowhead that will pay the price for the negative scores. The same people that praised Arrowhead for game play are the same people that are going to kill the game with negative reviews over the secondary account requirement.
Is Sony really feigning insanity in the face of criticism from PC gamers? This could ruin all their expansion plans on PC and possibly with this they have lost a talented studio that may not want to partner with them again. This whole situation and the controversy over censorship in Stellar Blade and other games can alienate potential players and partners.

Last edited:

Yonyx

Banned
Is Sony not going to take this shit seriously? A game that has sold nearly 10 million copies on Steam in just 3 months, the most successful Sony game on PC by far. A game that had ratings of over 85% (on SteamDB) last week is going to drop to below 40% in a matter of hours (with all that implies for future sales) with hundreds of thousands of confirmed negative reviews. There are many refunds happening. The number of concurrent players is surely going to be logically affected (with the implications it carries for in-game sales). The game will become unusable and will no longer be purchasable in 177 countries. As a result, the brand value of the brand on PC is deteriorating.

But none of this Sony is going to take seriously because today 50 people have voted negatively for God of War. Oh, yeah, sure.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That 'currently' is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.
They'll change the website soon. And people will claim "See, it says you need a PSN linked account".

No different than when Sony mislabeled Demon's Souls saying it has RTX on their site and then changed it later wiping out all mentions of it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Negative reviews ended at 96,000 for today. Valve is on a different time zone than me as they already started May 6 stats. It's already at 8,700 bad reviews.

WqtH583.jpeg

L7cdzkC.jpeg

Last edited:

Yonyx

Banned
I just noticed a detail in the announcement of the account linking update. The official text says:

Current players on Steam will start to see the mandatory login from May 30th and will be required to have linked a Steam and PlayStation Network account by June 4th.

What will happen after June 4 if I don't connect the PSN account before? I have the game uninstalled now; I have other games I'm playing through, and I don't feel like playing Helldivers 2 right now. Can't I do the account connection whenever I want? For example, in 2-3 months if I feel like playing in july-august. What will happen after June 4?

Fredrik

Well, of course they do.

It's a business decision to release PlayStation titles on PC.

In time I'm sure Sony want to take a massive chunk out of Steam's market share with their own storefront.

That will only happen if they take gamers with them.

They aren't in the business of propping up Steam and continuing with the status quo.
Exactly. And then you have that ask yourself if this is something worth defending as a gamer. Do we want more scenarios like Epic Games Store? Does it benefit us gamers in any way? I don’t think so. I vote with my wallet against all that, I don’t buy anything on Epic Games Store. I don’t buy anything on Microsoft Store. I wait for Steam releases or I don’t play the games. I don’t want that future. Once we have 5-10 different store fronts with their own exclusive libraries and achievement systems and drm crap and streaming solutions things will be worse, not better, for us gamers. Nobody should be in defense mode here, there is nothing good coming from it. You gain nothing.

Last edited:

tmlDan

None of this is “irrational”.

Community managers are the first in line between the player and the company. Communicating with them is perfectly reasonable. No one is talking “hostages” except you. You seem to really want to make this something more than it is, to demonize those who are speaking out against this unneeded, forced change.

The best way to ensure things change is by keeping up pressure by asking for refunds, changing reviews, etc.

The game released in all these regions without issue. There is no “complexity” here. Remove the requirements to sign in to PSN. Make it optional for those who want to, give them a unique cosmetic or something. Simple as.
It's not that simple, and the inclusion hasn't even taken place.

As i said they were looking into solutions and they came back with the decision not to move forward, they had time and everyone lost their minds.

If you truly believe people acting like this over a video game is rational i feel sorry for you.

Regardless, my whole argument was for them to just act less insane.

Last edited:
Top Bottom