• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

rofif

Banned
In da future, you'll adittionally need an Arrowhead account, a Naughty Dog account, a Guerilla account, for their respective games. You'll game "through the cloud" with your PSVR, looking like a martian, which will track your eyeball movements and feed that data live to Sony and their subsidiaries, who will then use it to tailor ads to you in the store, sell it to third-parties, and build the next games for max appeal and profitability. You'll turn on the TV and get glasses recomendations with your prescription measurements.

Your wife will be screwing the neighbour while you look like a jerk with your headset and pay Sony to milk your data.
Oh yeah because I need all those accounts on ps4 and ps5 …. Oh wait. There is only 1 account and that’s psn. Even Ubisoft games can be played without creating their account on console

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Got some corporate bootlickers in here. Adding additional log in after the game is a major success is anti-consumer. They should allow anyone who is upset to get a full refund or remove that shit from the game. This is how console gamers end up paying a sub to play online. Give them an inch and they take a mile. Fuck sony for forcing this bullshit on the developer.
The claim is Arrowhead and Sony had technical difficulties implementing PSN Sign on for PC gamers until now.

angrod14

Oh yeah because I need all those accounts on ps4 and ps5 …. Oh wait. There is only 1 account and that’s psn. Even Ubisoft games can be played without creating their account on console
Just Wait Episode 5 GIF by Paramount+

bender

What time is it?

Doesn't Diablo 2:R/4 require a Battle.net account on consoles?

Fabieter

April 2011: Hackers Access Personal Data of 77 Million Sony PlayStation Network Users
May 2011: Personal Details on 25 Million Sony Online Entertainment Customers Stolen
June 2011: Sony Pictures Website Hacked, Exposing One Million Accounts
November 2014: Hackers Steal 100 Terabytes of Data from Sony Pictures
August 2017: Hacker Group Accesses Sony Social Media Accounts
September 2023: Sony Investigates Alleged Hack
October 2023: Sony Notifies Employees of Data Breach

Here it is again. Thanks.

Oof if people are bitter because of security than they shouldn't use like 90% of the services on the internet. Companys loosing data and selling it all the time. If this is the true reason behind this than it couldn't get more pathetic.

The only valid criticism is that psn isn't available in all countries but pretty much the rest is bullshit.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Gold Member
Oof if people are bitter because of security than they shouldn't use like 90% of the services on the internet. Companys loosing data and selling it all the time. If this is the true reason behind this than it couldn't get more pathetic.

The only valid criticism is that psn isn't available in all countries but pretty much the rest is bullshit.

I could maybe understand the argument if PSN requires info like SSN, bank info, or other sensitive personal information, but it doesn't. All you need is an email (you can use a burner email), and for address you can also use a fake address.

Fabieter

I could maybe understand the argument if PSN requires info like SSN, bank info, or other sensitive personal information, but it doesn't. All you need is an email (you can use a burner email), and for address you can also use a fake address.

All of my friends who started day one had to link a psn and did exactly what you described. Non starter but cancel culture on the internet is insane.

Holammer

Maybe console players should've "whined" a little more 🤷‍♂️

At a time when everyone and their dog offer cloud saves, storage or online gaming for free, it's still somehow considered normal to charge services fees on consoles. Services which cost milli-cents per user for Sony/MS/Nintendo.
Their fans conditioned into obedient consoomers, so seeing the PC space react like this must be very confusing.

giphy.gif

Three

Steam users complain about every 3rd party account. It is annoying and is another added layer of BS and another possible failure point.
They do and they should but this is a different kind with massive review bombing taking place and the crazy twitter/forum discussions. Look at steam user discussion when it comes to MCC mostly ridiculing the person for not reading. It's not been like this in the past for account sign in.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

They do and they should but this is a different kind with massive review bombing taking place and the crazy twitter forum discussions. Look at steam user discussion when it comes to MCC mostly ridiculing the person for not reading. It's not been like this in the past for account sign in.
That's me! It isn't but I didn't notice it until I tried playing the game and went back to check the page.

Mortisfacio

Banned

As a general concept, I'm not a fan of any game making you use an account for a different service than what you bought the game on. It's shitty practice. Needing multiple accounts for one thing is dumb as a concept. Especially since, as you said, most services have data leaks. Why increase the spread of data leaks by forcing you to use multiple accounts for one product?

AmuroChan

Gold Member
I understand why PC-only gamers are upset since the benefits of linking your PSN account do not apply to them. They don't care about cross-progression, cross-save, trophy support, etc. However, they also have to understand that Sony will always prioritize PlayStation gamers first and foremost. As someone who plays on both, I want this. I want my trophies to be integrated. I want cross-save and cross-progression so that when I start a game on the PS5 and then go a trip for 2 weeks, I can pick up where I left off on the Steamdeck. Is it annoying for the PC-only gamers? Yes no argument there.

feynoob

Gold Member
Isn't that what the whole issue here is about? Sony is now requiring PSN login? Seems completely normal that they would want to change their FAQs to reflect that.
The original was you arent required to use PSN. Now you are required, even though people bought the game.

Sony can do whatever they want with their games. But playing games like these with pc crowd is not a good idea.

Topher

Gold Member
The original was you arent required to use PSN. Now you are required, even though people bought the game.

Sony can do whatever they want with their games. But playing games like these with pc crowd is not a good idea.

The larger issue with Sony is their shitty communication. They could have easiliy put out a press release stating that on this date PSN login would be required. Folks don't look at FAQs and they don't look read every word on a game page. When you have a situation where the game has been in the players hands for some time then it is wise to remind/inform them of significant changes like these.

Sony didn't do that and people feel blindsided by it even though the game page states it very clearly.

End result: a great game is getting review bombed. So yeah....you are right. Shouldn't fuck around with PC gamers. They have more teeth than console gamers and they will use them.

Solidus_T

Banned
April 2011: Hackers Access Personal Data of 77 Million Sony PlayStation Network Users
May 2011: Personal Details on 25 Million Sony Online Entertainment Customers Stolen
June 2011: Sony Pictures Website Hacked, Exposing One Million Accounts
November 2014: Hackers Steal 100 Terabytes of Data from Sony Pictures
August 2017: Hacker Group Accesses Sony Social Media Accounts
September 2023: Sony Investigates Alleged Hack
October 2023: Sony Notifies Employees of Data Breach

The joys of a digital world. Everyone wants your information and they largely have a poor history at protecting it.
If you have a Microsoft account, I just want you to know that Microsoft has had something like 20 times this amount of data breaches in the past 20 years.
Also, if you use Discord, that has been breached, and any social media sites are worse.

Mortisfacio

Banned
If you have a Microsoft account, I just want you to know that Microsoft has had something like 20 times this amount of data breaches in the past 20 years.
Also, if you use Discord, that has been breached, and any social media sites are worse.

Again, whataboutism.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The larger issue with Sony is their shitty communication. They could have easiliy put out a press release stating that on this date PSN login would be required. Folks don't look at FAQs and they don't look read every word on a game page. When you have a situation where the game has been in the players hands for some time then it is wise to remind/inform them of significant changes like these.

Sony didn't do that and people feel blindsided by it even though the game page states it very clearly.

End result: a great game is getting review bombed. So yeah....you are right. Shouldn't fuck around with PC gamers. They have more teeth than console gamers and they will use them.
Console peasant:

man-missing-teeth-laughing-out-loud-with-one-tooth-s8ns4m800e0da1ql.gif

PC gamer:

pennywise-scary-transformation-jqdm9oqauyl17hpd.gif

Gamerguy84

Some of yall are a sensitive bunch. I made a email account for this purpose. Can't tell you how many games I had to make an account to play.

I also made one for marketing purposes.

Even made one for my truck so that every oil change and any repairs or services are sitting on that account and super easy to recall.

Top Bottom