• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a Sony fan I can safely say Xbox have handled the marketing for this Gen so much better thus far.

Kumomeme

well i can understand the sony reason for being silence

unlike xbox one, the ps4 still have life left..they still had big exclusives that gonna release before ps5 launch like ffviir, got and tlou2...certain ps5 information could affect those game sales and surely the marketing department want to make last push for ps4 sales as much as they can before they shifting all attention once ps5 is launch at end of year

for ms, they eager to start over, ready to kick start new generation since there nothing much 'left' they can do for xbox one while, ps4 is still selling like hotcake out there

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft was on a roll until the last few weeks. We'll see if they can pick it up. They'll basically need to come with something very strong to do better than Sony's PS5 event

sephiroth7x

I really don't feel as if Sony have messed anything up and I also don't believe MS have done anything incredible either. In context, Sony are a system reveal behind MS in terms of information given out. All the specs are out, it is just how the console looks as we have seen games and the Epic Unreal Engine reveal was fantastic.

Sony already have a 100M+ base of PS4 owners to slowly and delicately drip feed information to.

As for the pushing back of the reveal, I don't think it was done for selfish reasons at all. It was done to show that some things in this life are more important than games and Sony understand that. You can call it a marketing ploy if you want, but if they did the stream on the day they planned to, no doubt people would have been criticising THAT decision as well.

I have been saying it for a while, the new Sony by JR is a disaster and PS5 is going to fail. Time to time. Nintendo and Microsoft are going to take away a large market share. Nothing related to PS5 is going well. The sprig will come as soon as Uncharted and God of War are announced on PC.

turtlepowa

Banned
I disagree. The way Sony are playing it makes me intrigued. Xbox just seems like a standard upgrade to me, I have no interest in that machine at all.
What makes you think PS5 isn't just another upgrade as well? Just as Ps2-4 were? The magic SSD or what? I don't expect more than a faster PS4 with better loading times.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Microsoft has been just as quite about everything as well aside from a bunch of tweets saying how powerful their machine is.

Up until the announcement, Sony was doing everything right.

I get that this is a knee jerk reaction to the postponement, but turn on the news and realize there’s more going on in the world than gaming right now.

And their game showcase can run on ps4 top

Sony always seem to do well with their PR, however MS are doing a lot right this time, much better than the One launch, they just need to back it up with some impressive 1st Party reveals.

Shin

Banned
Delusional, post and person and factually incorrect.
Both sides have a strategy in place, as fans we prefer the continuous flow of information (which both sides have catered to).
Their take is slightly different, one is more informative while the other lacks transparency, whether the situation world wide is to be blamed or whether this is the strategy I'm unsure.

Sony have played it well - let the opposition fall on their sword and release small bits of news to build anticipation. People get put off the ‘too keen’ mentality that Microsoft are displaying. In a way they have to, but at times its been a bit embarrassing, especially the tweets.

I think its quite the opposite, no one I know IRL is talking about XBX or even care for it, Microsofts marketing has been a mess since the 360 which was pretty stellar.

tassletine

What makes you think PS5 isn't just another upgrade as well? Just as Ps2-4 were? The magic SSD or what? I don't expect more than a faster PS4 with better loading times.
The marketing makes me think that. Whether or not they can deliver anything is another matter.

Dr.Morris79

I get that this is a knee jerk reaction to the postponement, but turn on the news and realize there’s more going on in the world than gaming right now.
Sorry, what?

And that has to do with gaming? How?

I didnt dont stop gaming because someone in my town centre got stabbed for no reason last week, did you?

These two things have got absolutely fucking nothing in relation to each other. Stop talking bollocks.

Op completely clueless. Sony is still fully supporting their current console with two mor big exclusives, this is all the marketing they need. It’s basically saying buy a new console and you will continue to see games like this.

where are Xbox games this year? When was the last time they released a big aaa exclusive?Gears5?

That aside both consoles have been drip feeding and promoting - series x had had that’s shit show of games and mixed messages saying the do and don’t believe in generations. They’ve also had Phil tell The community they just don’t understand the powaaa.

if anyone is fucking it up, it’s Xbox.

shubik

Sony are fucking up.

They are continuing to fuck up, their lack of clear communication, piss poor clarification over features and functions of the platform, to their lack of urgency when you realise we're so close to the console's launch and we've seen next to nothing.

Clown on Xbox for their no Exclusives and that dreadful live event, god knows I have, but they are at least trying something and have outdone Sony in every way so far with their marketing.

It could be desperation on their part to get as ahead of Sony as possible, and Sony really only need to reveal a few select Exclusives and all their mistakes will be forgotten, but we can't deny how well Xbox have handled this promotion battle so far.

From influencer media open days, to many articles clarifying the most minute of features, they've done so much to show their fanbase what they're doing and how they're doing it.

Sony we've had a few so so Wired articles, a fucking logo reveal, a controller reveal (which was only due to fears of it leaking beforehand), and a long talk that was promoted for the completely wrong crowd when Sony should have done more beforehand to clarify it was a developer centric conference.

Now we've had their rightful (albeit deceitful) postponement of the first event where it felt like Sony were starting to do the right thing.

I'm not saying Postponing it was a bad decision as I fully believe in the riots and protests and stand for getting justice for George Floyd. But Sony don't care about that one bit, they're doing that to save face in the PR department and as they know they won't get as many views during this time. It's a selfish business decision wrapped up as a humane action for the better of society.

The problem with this? A lack of communication to the fans, who are quite rightly pissed and left wondering what is next, we're having to delve into the shit storm known as 4Chan to find any news of what's next and that shouldn't be the case.

I'm sure Sony can and probably will bounce back, but they shouldn't be excused for how poorly they've handled this so far.

Who do I blame? Jim Ryan.

Let me know if you agree or disagree below. And let's try and keep it civil!

As someone who works in marketing, I have to fundamentally disagree. Sony is well aware of its own standing and position. Every single piece of information is being treated as the holy grail by the press and fans. They have a plan and they execute it with precision. They don´t need to come out and release everything at once.

You being pissed off is irrelevant for Sony. People will still buy the system, TLOU2 will still sell like hotcakes and the next reveal will still produce an incredible amount of media reactions and fan love.

Sonys' marketing strategy is superb so far. At least from my point of view as someone who is doing this kind of work for a living. And the decision to pull the event next week was 100% right. There is a time and place for this kind of thing but currently, there are bigger things to worry about. Grow up people

shubik

Sorry, what?

And that has to do with gaming? How?

I didnt dont stop gaming because someone in my town centre got stabbed for no reason last week, did you?

These two things have got absolutely fucking nothing in relation to each other. Stop talking bollocks.

We are talking about one of the biggest markets for Sony currently sinking in anarchy and violence. Retail stores are being destroyed and you want SONY to go out next week and act like all is great and now have a look at our new games? Come on. This is a bad look. It was the right choice to postpone it.

Manji Uzuki

I personally dislike how both are handling the reveal of their systems.

I don't like how they are just teasing and dropping very small bits of information. I would prefer a big event with lots of announcements and explanations. But that's my preference as a gamer, from a marketing point of view this is probably working well for them as they are getting lot of attention by the press continuously by doing this.

I understand that MS is in the need to show something because there is nothing really big going on for Xbox One this year and also they are trying hard to attract customers with all the enhanced on XSX thing. However the showcase of games we had was very very poor. I'm sure they will do a better event later but as a first revel of games it sucked big time.

In the other hand Sony has a strong year for PS4 with things like FFVII Remake, Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima and PS4 sales are still going strong so I guess they didn't want to distract the audience with the next system reveal. Now seems like the time to reveal is coming, and this delay sucks but I understand it with everything going on in the US. You probably don't want to do a big announcement when one of your big markets will be focused on other things. It's annoying but hopefully we are talking about one week delay so it's not the end of the world

Kokoloko85

Lol really?

My mum came visited us the other day. She told me and my brother o the Playstation 5 is coming out soon no?
My brother mentioned an xbox X series 360, part 4 and she was like whats that??

I think people are waiting on PS5 like hot cakes... the mainstream, non fans don't even know xbox exists lol

Last edited:

SCB3

I feel like XBox and Playstation are not really competitors anymore, Xbox seems to be focusing on both the Past and the future with Subscriptions and power on iterative consoles, whereas Sony are still in the mentality of our games are here and only here, almost stuck in the 90's and 2000's way of thinking in a way.

Still excited for both and I will be buying both

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can you buy the new systems and games? No. If you could, based on all you've seen so far alone, rather than your hopes and dreams, would you? No, you've seen literally nothing about what either offers in practice. So what's the point of declaring a winner for that literal nothing, lol.

Last edited:
Have you even seen the social media numbers they're pulling when compared to the competition?, I say whatever strategy they went with is doing more than just fine so don't worry about them.

Having more social media likes on your IG/Twitter account than on an account that has less followers doesn't really mean that much if you ask me.

Also the road to PS5 has a record amount of dislikes VS likes ratio which means that maybe they need to be be doing something differently?

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't think their strategy is unviable. Microsoft has had to come swinging but I do think there is a balance between cockteasing and actually showing shit. Sony have a lot of goodwill and they have two heavy hitters ready to go on sale but they can lose a lot of goodwill in the meantime. I'm sure we can all agree parking the event a couple of days in light of the events in the US isn't a big deal just a frustration, but there are other things here as well.

Where's the teardown? It's been almost three months since Cerny said they can't wait to show us the cooling solution and it will impress us.
Why show the controller, and not the box? Especially when the controller colour scheme is ugly (in my opinion) but has a mixed review online

We can appreciate delays or rejigging events but there is absolutely nothing from them. It won't matter long term to sales, but when PR/Marketing can hustle to tweet like whoring messages of support, it would be nice to communicate to the actual fans

Geki-D

Banned
lol They really haven't. MS blew their load way too early and it's not on people's minds anymore. Sony have been building hype and keeping the fire stoked with little bits of info here and there till the hype is at its boiling point and they drop the games. It's quite clear by the the reactions you see everywhere, people want to know when Sony will show the PS5, the games, what have Sony got up their sleeves?

thelastword

Banned
How are we judging this, by over-inflated hype, FUD, Discords or by results and genuine reaction to Sony's press pieces and info slots? If it's the latter, where millions show they are moved by what Sony is doing, then Sony is winning here by miles....Miles....

turtlepowa

Banned
lol They really haven't. MS blew their load way too early and it's not on people's minds anymore. Sony have been building hype and keeping the fire stoked with little bits of info here and there till the hype is at its boiling point and they drop the games. It's quite clear by the the reactions you see everywhere, people want to know when Sony will show the PS5, the games, what have Sony got up their sleeves?
Actually the only thing MS has shown more than Sony is the casing. They will also have a show with lots of games and maybe the Lockhart.

DonJorginho

Banned
As someone who works in marketing, I have to fundamentally disagree. Sony is well aware of its own standing and position. Every single piece of information is being treated as the holy grail by the press and fans. They have a plan and they execute it with precision. They don´t need to come out and release everything at once.

You being pissed off is irrelevant for Sony. People will still buy the system, TLOU2 will still sell like hotcakes and the next reveal will still produce an incredible amount of media reactions and fan love.

Sonys' marketing strategy is superb so far. At least from my point of view as someone who is doing this kind of work for a living. And the decision to pull the event next week was 100% right. There is a time and place for this kind of thing but currently, there are bigger things to worry about. Grow up people
So people can't have an opinion because of things going on in the world?

I never said the postponement was wrong, I support it.

And did I mention TLOU2? Is TLOU2 part of PS5 marketing? No to both.

In some ways they have done things well, but that isn't due to some marketing masterclass, that's down to them being overly confident, which can work well but they're lucky they're who they are otherwise things wouldn't be anyway near as smooth sailing.

Geki-D

Banned
Actually the only thing MS has shown more than Sony is the casing. They will also have a show with lots of games and maybe the Lockhart.
They showed the console itself and the specs crazy early and dropped them as a surprise without any hype build up. All of that initial hype around the reveal is now long forgotten. They also had a game showcase that was so poorly received they actually had to apologize for it. This not how you build hype and do good marketing.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
They showed the console itself and the specs crazy early and dropped them as a surprise without any hype build up. All of that initial hype around the reveal is now long forgotten. They also had a game showcase that was so poorly received they actually had to apologize for it. This not how you build hype and do good marketing.
There is also the other side jerkying people around by showing nothing but logo's and controllers because you have to prove your better than Andrew house. I much prefer the the old Sony way where I had actual information way before summer of the launch year. The teasing just gets tiresome after a while.

you must be thirsty af for Sony news, cause youre seeing things. What has MS revealed? They been talking alot about nothing. All the games theyve shown dont have me anymore excited than TLoU2 or GhostOT.

What you wnat Sony to show a bunch of current gen games for PS5, then say be excited.

Geki-D

Banned
There is also the other side jerkying people around by showing nothing but logo's and controllers because you have to prove your better than Andrew house.
And yet Sony are building way more hype and occupying way more mind space thanks to this. They were meant to reveal the games this week and it's been pushed back to probably next week. Normally if E3 was going on they'd have unveiled this stuff at E3 which takes place... In mid June! They are literally no later than if E3 was happening.

Portugeezer

I used to think so to, but then when I think about what the purpose of marketing is: it seems as though Sony is generating more anticipation with less marketing bullet points being shoved down our throats.

Obviously the PS brand itself is bigger, but I don't think much would have changed if Sony took the MS approach and showed us a PS5 console last year and the old us so much early in the year. In fact, it probably would begin to deflate over time...

That said, as a gamer I prefer to know as much as possible, so I am happy with the MS approach. But all the praise we gave MS for their approach and Sony still shits on them with barely any effort.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
The only thing we don't know about Sonys console is the casing, a piece of plastic. It's about the games, and Microft will present them even after Sony. In the end it doesn't matter that much. Core gamer already know what console they are buying, no matter what and casuals will go by price.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think the UE5 thing wasn't that impressive, thing is, that it's just a tech demo. And it looked really lifeless, not even a single NPC. :/ meh.
I think the UE demo was realy good, the only disappointing thing about it was the res and FPS. Other than that it looked impressive, i cant seem games looking like that this gen though. If people are expecting graphics looking that good i think people will be disappointed

quest

Not Banned from OT
And yet Sony are building way more hype and occupying way more mind space thanks to this. They were meant to reveal the games this week and it's been pushed back to probably next week. Normally if E3 was going on they'd have unveiled this stuff at E3 which takes place... In mid June! They are literally no later than if E3 was happening.
They have more mind space because of the juggernaut house built they could show nothing until 2 weeks before the ps5 launch and still have hype sell out and get 70% market share. This is a CEO trying to prove is the man. Sony won this generation before it started and there was nothing Microsoft could do to stop it. Why do you think Nintendo retreated to hand held-mobile space? Sony is unbeatable right now in the home console market.

Geki-D

Banned
The only thing we don't know about Sonys console is the casing, a piece of plastic.
And by not instantly revealing the plastic they managed to keep gamer's & the media's attention by having them wonder what said plastic would look like. It's the sheer genius of their marketing. The worst thing they should have done is cold drop it without any fanfare, like MS did.
It's about the games, and Microft will present them even after Sony.
They are but Sony are also winning on that front because MS have taken the disastrous position that they won't be making next gen exclusive games, and Sony are already known for dominating with their first party support. You look at the showcase MS did and no one was impressed, then Epic just ran a UE5 tech demo on PS5 and everyone was blown away, it was the talk of the town.
Core gamer already know what console they are buying, no matter what and casuals will go by price.
Actually brand recognition plays a massive role and here Sony also as the advantage.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I think the UE demo was realy good, the only disappointing thing about it was the res and FPS. Other than that it looked impressive, i cant seem games looking like that this gen though. If people are expecting graphics looking that good i think people will be disappointed
That does matter the goals were to show off the engine and to end the narrative the series x was the most powerful console and promote the narrative only SSD counts. It worked and sweeney got a little revenge on Microsoft on top of it. Microsoft got dreamcasted the headlines were the demo could not be done on the series x and that ended the small chance of Microsoft getting back some market share. Sweeney is still on Twitter rubbing it in peoples faces lol he loves playing the heel.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
That does matter the goals were to show off the engine and to end the narrative the series x was the most powerful console and promote the narrative only SSD counts. It worked and sweeney got a little revenge on Microsoft on top of it. Microsoft got dreamcasted the headlines were the demo could not be done on the series x and that ended the small chance of Microsoft getting back some market share. Sweeney is still on Twitter rubbing it in peoples faces lol he loves playing the heel.
But nowhere did they say it couldn’t be done on Series x

SleepDoctor

Banned
Microsoft has definitely turned things around as they should have. But they also have a ways to go.

Sony has disappointed with their lack of information and postponing every chance they get. People talking about the reason being tlou 2 and GoT but we got an event in February for the Ps4 and tlou which was their biggest game last gen released in June iirc. So that excuse isn't valid.

All we've gotten so far has been anonymous hearsay, a logo, and a controller. It seems something is off with all the restructuring. Only guy I trust there right now is Hulst.

nani17

are in a big trouble
tenor.gif

Top Bottom