• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asgard’s Wrath 2 Review (IGN) 10/10

MagnesD3

With the strain VR headsets have on the eyes I cant imagine this is a 10/10 experience. Taking breaks every 30-45 mins is annoying. Maybe its better on the quest but with the PSVR I had to take breaks often with Astro.

Last edited:
So uh..can you play Hl Alyx on Quest 3 ?
Seems like a such a scattershot to play these suppossed transformative games but then you have to own like 3 headsets.

Buggy Loop

No im 32 year old tho, maybe its strains people with younger eyes less.

What’s your headset?

I’m 42 and played the likes of Half Life Alyx for 8 hours straight

Seems like a such a scattershot to play these suppossed transformative games but then you have to own like 3 headsets.

Yea of course. Meta works with PCVR and quite well

Last edited:

MagnesD3

What’s your headset?

I’m 42 and played the likes of Half Life Alyx for 8 hours straight
Jeez, maybe your just alot healthier than me haha. I just used the psvr for Astro Bot, it was fun but around using 30 mins to an hour my eyes would be very worn out and Id have to take a small break before continuing. If I was even remotely sleepy this was even less time.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
With the strain VR headsets have on the eyes I cant imagine this is a 10/10 experience. Taking breaks every 30-45 mins is annoying. Maybe its better on the quest but with the PSVR I had to take breaks often with Astro.
I had a PSVR1. A good headset. I now have a Quest3. The bump in resolution and clarity is amazing. No problem spending hours in this thing.

Any opinions on whether getting the one with more space is worth it?
The games have been surprisingly small. You can fit a dozen or more on the 128gb version.

I am currently playing HL Alyx with the Quest 3.
works both with cable or over wifi router.

Romulus

It reminds me of a 360 era rpg and I mean that in a good way.

Also this is confirmed native 90fps on quest 3, no reprojection at all.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Quest 3 removes much of the normal strain associated with VR. I'm sure the Apple Vision Pro will improve on this further, but the Q3 really took a large step in the right dirdction.

Edit: I originally replied to wrong post.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
90 hours means charging the damn thing(quest 2) for 45 times. Considering I've charged the device ten times so far, it's clear that this game isn't for me. I also won't carry that weight on my head for 90 hours, even if it's the game of the century. I will check it out when Vr glasses are a thing.

Romulus

90 hours means charging the damn thing(quest 2) for 45 times. Considering I've charged the device ten times so far, it's clear that this game isn't for me. I also won't carry that weight on my head for 90 hours, even if it's the game of the century. I will check it out when Vr glasses are a thing.

You bought a $500 quest 3 but you won't invest in an $25 extender? I played 5 hours with no problem. Also acts as a counterbalance and you're not tethered.

Last edited:

Davevil

Those reckless camera movements give me motion sickness just watching a video
giphy.gif

R6Rider

Gold Member
It did look good from the trailer.

I can see myself getting a Quest 3 in the future, and this will be one of those reasons.

GymWolf

It's obvious the Quest 2 constraints molded the art design. I don't find the little content I have seen very flattering, but I'll withhold judgement until I see it through the headset. Often, even a simplistic lookin game puches above its weight in VR. The sense of scale can add a lot.
Not exactly sure how the hardware dictate the art design of characters and enemies tbh.

I was not talking about the graphic quality, i know that vr headsets are not that powerfull and realistic graphic is not even a requisite to be immersed (it help tho)

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Yeah you're watching a 30fps video of a 90fps game with someone else's head motion.

If he strapped a camera to his head for common tasks around a day it would be dizzying too. This is fine when you have an headset on your head and it feels immersive. But no, it won't look like a 2D game with analog sticks cameras when captured.

Hot5pur

That's one hell of a score. I'm still working my way through the first one!!!
I think for a lot of people these will be too much as a way to get them into VR. Meta should be marketing the simpler stuff like Beat Saber more to get people interested and then let them know if you get your VR legs you can have a 10/10 AAAA experience. I do wonder if this will motivate people to pick up a Quest headset - with the 3 you get this included which is one hell of a deal, otherwise get yourself acquainted with Meta's generous referral program (some links for various titles).

I honestly think if it wasn't for meta VR gaming would kinda be dead. Not a fan of their other products but appreciate the massive losses they must be taking in the VR division to make this future happen. (Naturally they want a massive market share, but we'll see how that pans out).

Hudo

Every time, every fucking time I read this as "Asura's Wrath 2" and get excited for a brief, glorious moment.

MarkMe2525

Not exactly sure how the hardware dictate the art design of characters and enemies tbh.

I was not talking about the graphic quality, i know that vr headsets are not that powerfull and realistic graphic is not even a requisite to be immersed (it help tho)
The graphical prowess of a platform often dictates art direction on low power systems. Nintendo developed games is an obvious example one could give of this. I'm not speaking about specific detail choices on characters or the environment, but overall look. To be more clear, often a more "cartoony or stylized" style will mesh better with simplified geometry.

The requirement for this game to run well on the Q2 impacted what type of visuals the devs could reasonably deliver. This scenario did not specifically dictate what art direction they had to go with, but absolutely limited the teams ambition to a degree.

Edit: there are always exceptions, but often not when a team pushes hardware too far, performance suffers. That is not as tolerable in VR.

Last edited:
Oh ok thats great because I really thought VR was doing cool stuff in Astro
Astrobot was so well done. Music, animations, amazing levels. So much fun.
At the time I was seeing VR mechanics no other VR game was doing.
I remember this amazing level with water waves moving toward you and you had to manipulate things floating above and below you.

Sony gets a demerit point for not bringing Astrobot over to the PSVR2.
I don't care about their technical excuses, it should have been done.

MagnesD3

Astrobot was so well done. Music, animations, amazing levels. So much fun.
At the time I was seeing VR mechanics no other VR game was doing.
I remember this amazing level with water waves moving toward you and you had to manipulate things floating above and below you.

Sony gets a demerit point for not bringing Astrobot over to the PSVR2.
I don't care about their technical excuses, it should have been done.
Yeah its a great game everyone who likes 3d platformers should experience. It's my favorite new 3d plat IP in years, my only complaints had to do with VR headset foibles the game was great.

LimanimaPT

I really wish this to be successfull. VR needs investment. It's such a great medium that it's a shame developers don't invest more in VR. I want VR games from Sony first party studios. Insomniac, Naughty Dog and others. I'm sick and tired of the same games over and over.

The IGN review talked about side quests with mixed reality components (not possible on Quest 2 of course) -- but otherwise it's the same?
This sounds like the Cyberpunk launch situation. It's somewhat next gen aware, but not specifically optimized for it. At least that's what I've been hearing.. Looks pretty good to me either way from the trailers.

Resenge

The IGN review talked about side quests with mixed reality components (not possible on Quest 2 of course) -- but otherwise it's the same?
Oh thats cool, I was sure I heard it was the same as Quest 2 version at launch. My bad.

Last edited:

Fbh

See? THIS is what I need to see more in VR to get excited about it. Proper big and ambitious games that don't feel like some scaled back experience or minigame.
Not "we've turned our big open world action adventure franchise into an 8 hours climbing game"

The first Asgard's Wrath is one of the few VR games I've truly wanted to try out (alongside Alyx) because I also saw a lot of reviews saying it felt like a proper RPG in VR. Good to hear the sequel is even better, I hope I can play through them some day.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
See? THIS is what I need to see more in VR to get excited about it. Proper big and ambitious games that don't feel like some scaled back experience or minigame.
Not "we've turned our big open world action adventure franchise into an 8 hours climbing game"

The first Asgard's Wrath is one of the few VR games I've truly wanted to try out (alongside Alyx) because I also saw a lot of reviews saying it felt like a proper RPG in VR. Good to hear the sequel is even better, I hope I can play through them some day.
There are tons of meaty VR games acccumulated by now, Saints & Sinners (2x), Alyx, Stormland, RE4 (old school and Remake based depending on platform but equally cool in VR), Windlands 2, Lies Beneath (REVR before REVR), Eternal Starlight, Vertigo 2, Vengeful Rites, Unification, Budget Cuts (now it's 2 games 1), Yupitergrad 2, and smaller games or replayable games/roguelites/coop/pvp stuff like Ancient Dungeon are cool when done as well as some are, just because VTOL VR doesn't have a continuous story campaign doesn't make the missions and random missions you can config and fan missions you can get less fun, it's all about the flying simcade fun. No diff to flat games tons of stuff release in any style all the time. Sports sims (rather than mini games) like Eleven Table Tennis, Walkabout Mini Golf, really, it's futile to even attempt a list war, I'm always gonna forget loads.

Even some one might call mini games like Beat Saber or Pistol Whip have so much content you can go back again and again and again as long as you like the core gameplay (Pistol Whip my preference with DeadEye modifier for proper aiming) like arcade classics with 100x the ol 3 stages to end.

Ok some are spread on the different platforms (PS5/PC/Meta for the most part) but there's still plenty on each of them (the least on PS5 as the latest to come along for sure but it's getting more all the time too - ie Vertigo 2 mentioned above getting on there too, plus its own Rexclusives etc. too).

As for Asgard's Wrath, the original wasn't for me even if it ticks the meaty game boxes, I thought the combat didn't quite feel right and the core design was very juvenile, I went as far as I could & refunded it. I enjoyed the low fi Journey of the Gods WAY more. The sequel looks WAY better though!

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

You didn't tried VR right?
Because in VR graphics matters much less due your fooled brain. It's scientific discovery not my opinion.
(but resolution and especially frame-rate does matter more)

I'm still baffled that this has to be said nowadays.. I guess VR really isn't mainstream.

Half Life 2 with its 2004 graphics in VR blew my freaking mind away when I got near a combine soldier and he was 1:1 scale. Graphics in VR are like sprinkles on a cake, they're nice, but the cake (scale, immersion, depth of field) is more important

Top Bottom