• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asgard’s Wrath 2 Review (IGN) 10/10

CGNoire

Call me cynical but...

chair table GIF by South Park

relationship ea GIF

Meta instead of EA
IGN definitly has Zero Integrity.

MarkMe2525

Nice, will pick it up tomorrow *

* unless it's like £60, then I'll wait
I posted this earlier as well, I'll have a 25% off referral code on my link tree at 8am pacific time tomorrow. It's $59.99 normally and $44.99 with anyone's discount code.

www.linktr.ee/markgulfcoast

Apparently there is no Quest 3 optimised version yet, so Quest 3 users are playing the Quest 2 version at launch.
Same deal with Arizona Sunshine 2. Hopefully as we get further away from the Q3 launch, we can start getting games with day one Q3 enhancements. At least we get the 30% resolution boost for now.

Last edited:

RavageX

You know, in most VR threads its like there are people that HATE using VR or have a lot of issues with it.

Why did you get it and keep it?

This SOUNDS and kinda looks like what I expect from a VR RPG. I need to hear more from regular users versus website reviews.

Wonko_C

Is it new gold standard for VR or for gaming in general?
It's the first truly massive AAA game for mobile hardware, and a GOTY contender to boot.

Unfortunately no. It's a first party game. I wish Sony would put the same effort for their PSVR2 games. A VR mode for GoW Ragnarok would be a very good equivalent to AW2.

With the strain VR headsets have on the eyes I cant imagine this is a 10/10 experience. Taking breaks every 30-45 mins is annoying. Maybe its better on the quest but with the PSVR I had to take breaks often with Astro.
There are many unknowns with VR. I've never had eyestrain and can play for hours no problem, but I did have other issue: I had to pace myself in short 10 minute sessions because I was prone to motion sickness.

Those reckless camera movements give me motion sickness just watching a video
Try to picture it like this: When you record video from the perspective of a camera strapped to your head, it will look all shaky, but when you were viewing it from your perspective everything looked fine. Same thing applies to VR.

Not sure how it can be a 10/10 when the graphics arent anything special. Even for a VR game.
Don't Nintendo Switch games often get perfect scores despite not using the latest tech in graphics? Same principle applies here.

That's one hell of a score. I'm still working my way through the first one!!!
I think for a lot of people these will be too much as a way to get them into VR. Meta should be marketing the simpler stuff like Beat Saber more to get people interested and then let them know if you get your VR legs you can have a 10/10 AAAA experience. I do wonder if this will motivate people to pick up a Quest headset - with the 3 you get this included which is one hell of a deal, otherwise get yourself acquainted with Meta's generous referral program (some links for various titles).

I honestly think if it wasn't for meta VR gaming would kinda be dead. Not a fan of their other products but appreciate the massive losses they must be taking in the VR division to make this future happen. (Naturally they want a massive market share, but we'll see how that pans out).
They do market Beat Saber like crazy, it's still their best-seller too.

Oh ok thats great because I really thought VR was doing cool stuff in Astro
Astro Bot is a great game that takes advantage of the hardware it's in, it's just that hardware was outdated even before it launched. PSVR2 Astro will be mind blowing.

I really wish this to be successfull. VR needs investment. It's such a great medium that it's a shame developers don't invest more in VR. I want VR games from Sony first party studios. Insomniac, Naughty Dog and others. I'm sick and tired of the same games over and over.
I swear I would finally be able to fully play through The Last of Us Part 1 without getting bored if it was on PSVR2. I've tried 3 times and I always lose interest in flat screen.

Apparently there is no Quest 3 optimised version yet, so Quest 3 users are playing the Quest 2 version at launch.
Quest 3 runs at a higher resolution and framerate. Wouldn't that count as optimized for the new hardware?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I dislike the art design of this thing.

But 90 hours for a single player vr game is nuts.
Agreed -- still looking forward to it, but the art style isn't my thing exactly.

slightly off-topic: my favorite aesthetic, graphics, and overall experience on the Quest 2 is still BoneLab by a mile, and I don't grasp why that title isn't more often mentioned as one of the all-time highlights of standalone VR.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Half Life 2 with its 2004 graphics in VR blew my freaking mind away when I got near a combine soldier and he was 1:1 scale. Graphics in VR are like sprinkles on a cake, they're nice, but the cake (scale, immersion, depth of field) is more important

I will say that HL2's VR conversion is one of the greatest VR games available, despite the game itself being so old. The physics of their engine truly shines, as does the faithful fan porting and their attention to VR-specific details.

Resenge

Quest 3 runs at a higher resolution and framerate. Wouldn't that count as optimized for the new hardware?
I can do that with any Quest 2 game on the Quest 3, I can also do that on a better spec PC with Starfield but would that make it optimised?

I assumed it meant extra effects. As I said, I thought read/heard from Youtubers/reddit that it was the Quest 2 version and a Quest 3 optimised version was coming. 🤷‍♂️

Asgard's Wrath 2 is not optimized for Quest 3 and was designed for Quest 2. Quest 3 optimizations will follow later. I find this particularly unfortunate because once again it is no reason to buy a Quest 3.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Ok, seems like I'll have to buy a MQ3 then.

Edit: Wait, the 512GB is $200 more (here). What do you guys think, is 128GB enough or is the 512GB version the only real option?

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Edit: Wait, the 512GB is $200 more (here). What do you guys think, is 128GB enough or is the 512GB version the only real option?
I’ve got a 128gb and fast internet. Don’t mind swapping in and out.

MarkMe2525

Just saw on reddit RIP... I love VR to enough to get a Quest for this TBH... Only if it does not need PC.
There are many reasons outside of this game to get a Quest broseph.

Edit: Don't get one without letting someone send you a referral. You and the person referring both get a $60 store credit (it's usually $30 but their is a Quest 3 holiday promo). Hit someone up on here you know for a referral link. If you don't know someone, I'll gladly send you one and take some store credit.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

The games are relatively small, so swapping them out is not too bad. In saying that, I only have 267gb free on my 512 model. It's very possible to fill a 128gb quickly.

blue velvet

Are the reviews for this game organic? Feels like a paid one to me. Am I missing something? I've seen the footage, the game looks extremely generic, might be fun to play for a couple of hours but 10/10? Hmmm.. How much zucc paid for these reviews, I wonder.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Are the reviews for this game organic? Feels like a paid one to me. Am I missing something? I've seen the footage, the game looks extremely generic, might be fun to play for a couple of hours but 10/10? Hmmm.. How much zucc paid for these reviews, I wonder.
I haven't gotten to jump in yet so I can't say. Some people I follow, and sort of trust, have been giving glowing previews so it may be legit this good. Another thing to consider is what may look plain Jane in 2d, can look awe inspiring in VR.

Portugeezer

I thought Quest was supposed to be cheap VR... cheapest I see is 700 euro, looks like I'll wait for price drop or something, but this game looks interesting.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Is it for real that quest 3's killer app is actually not enhanced for quest 3? If so that's a sad state of affairs considering the bundle.

Last edited:

hlm666

Is it for real that quest 3's killer app is actually not enhanced for quest 3? If so that's a sad state of affairs considering the bundle.
The update is due in january I think. I would normally say they should have waited to ship with the quest 3 update but after last month with quest 2 still being the boss and the glowing reviews I think they got this right and it's gonna move some quests over the holiday period.

KaiserBecks

I thought Quest was supposed to be cheap VR... cheapest I see is 700 euro, looks like I'll wait for price drop or something, but this game looks interesting.
Quest 3 128gb is 550 Euro, comes with the game if you buy the quest until January 27th. Asgards wrath 2 is 30gb, but most games are relatively small (around 5-10gb). If you have a fast internet connection, the 128gb model is enough.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I managed to get some time in this game. It’s hugely impressive. I feel like I’m playing a Prince of Persia in VR. Hard to believe this is running on mobile hardware.
it very fluid and crisp on Quest 3.

Romulus

Yea the prince of Persia comparison is actually great and with a big slice of God of War.

Combat is the most impressive aspect for me even though the reviews hyped it.

Graphically it's about what expected. Reminds me of a really high resolution + 90fps xbox 360 era game, which that's actually cool imo.

The scale of some of these environments is crazy impressive in VR. And there's definitely that element that keeps pulling me back that great games have.

Tangerine

Jeez, maybe your just alot healthier than me haha. I just used the psvr for Astro Bot, it was fun but around using 30 mins to an hour my eyes would be very worn out and Id have to take a small break before continuing. If I was even remotely sleepy this was even less time.
You aren't alone. I get a headache after playing moss for 25 to 30 mins. Im 37. I thought it could be because I need glasses. My eyesight isn't perfect.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Haven’t played the first one. Is it worth playing the first game in the series before jumping into this by the way, I have a quest three

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Insane game so far. I'm at the beginning but the introduction and the production value show its premise. From now on, there are no more excuses from the devs not to develop something as good as this. There are couple games here and there that are great but this one really shows that VR needs more support from bigger teams.

Hot5pur

PsAOQSG.jpg

"Combat is exactly what I would expect from a VR game: Garbage. :p"

Comments like this trigger me so hard, I don't get why so many people hate on VR without having ever put on a headset, no wonder why it doesn't take off, most don't even give it a chance.
Exactly.
People just don't get it, it's so much more immersive than flatscreen gaming.
But you know, it requires a bit of research, a bit of getting VR legs, some tweaking, some learning, standing up, being physical.
That's not too much to ask but people think it's complicated. I'm actually working on a website to see if we can lower that activation energy.

Top Bottom