• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 3 Game Informer Details

OMT

So will the Jeffersonians/Anti-Federalists be the Assassin faction, and the Hamiltonians/Federalists be the Templar faction? It would fit in...

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Just remember, unless they retcon the lore, George Washington was a Templar. I think Ubisoft will genuinely make things interesting.

One of the main reasons for the War of Independence was not just tax-related, but also because of Britain's Empire-focused trade policies restricted who they could trade with. The majority of the colonists owned land and saw themselves as economic trail-blazers. They wanted to expand westwards, which Britain had refused to allow them to, in order to avoid conflict with the natives. I'm Ubisoft wanted to get really deep with their history, you could see Templars supporting groups of the revolutionaries, with the stated aim of opening the Americas up for business.

Slavery could fit into the agenda this way as well.

He was a Freemason, and as stated in the OP he has affiliations with the Assassin Order.

CrazyDude

I know he's confirmed to be a character and that they said "not to expect a copy of Da Vinci." I was just saying before we thought the game would entirely take place during the American Revolution, and I was saying I doubt Benjamin Franklin will be able to be met considering where he was during the War and how old he was during the time.

Considering the expanded time frame, this gives plenty of opportunity for Benjamin Franklin to show up. Wonder if John Adams will show up? What about Thomas Jefferson? Can't wait to see how they handle these figures.

There's still plenty of problems I had with the concept that are not actually solved with the information provided.

It goes furthest to alleviate my problem with the country travel, but I still highly doubt this will be as interesting as traveling around genuinely great cities. From the sound of it, actually, they're basically admitting there is going to be a whole lot more ground travel, but they're trying to spice it up with sliding and more free running hijinks... which is neat, but is not in my estimation a good exchange for a properly dense city with huge lateral movement. We will have to see how it works in practice.

As an aside, they also didn't mention how slavery is being handled, which I am extremely curious about. I hate when period pieces of any kind try to skirt around these complex issues.

There is a lot to like too, however. I like the sound of the battle system they got going... it's going to be rad to wade around during huge iconic battles in the Revolutionary War. I like the time period they're utilizing. This allows for a huge array of key moments in early American history. I also love the changing seasons and in particular the key point "rivers and lakes will freeze during winter, giving you new traversal opportunities." That is a really novel approach.

It does, but I suspect it would have been a bad idea to make him a central inventor considering he is clearly going to disappear to France for most of the time of the Revolutionary War, which would make his role kind of difficult if you need to go back to him for upgrades :p

They better show Ben Franklin with a French girl in both arms.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So will the Jeffersonians/Anti-Federalists be the Assassin faction, and the Hamiltonians/Federalists be the Templar faction? It would fit in...

Oh NO..

Collect all 85 Federalist Papers!

Wow, that does sound awesome. I skipped Revelations and don't regret it, but I will be there day 1 for this. Hype
Quick and dirty Revelation spoilers to catch you up.
Ezio helped Istanbul assassins get their shit together and Desmond recovered from his coma. Altair recorded memories that lead Ezio to an Apple that allowed Ezio to send a message to Desmond and clued him in on what to do next.

DjPhantasy

Neo Member
I'm wondering how AC3 is gonna handle slavery in this game. Hopefully there will be some missions where you kill some slave traders.

Well, I thought I would want nothing to do with the series after two disappointing same-y sequels in a row but I have my eye on this.

He was a Freemason, and as stated in the OP he has affiliations with the Assassin Order.

Looks like I misremembered the glyph puzzle stuff from the earlier games.

Still, though, I hope it's not a "British = Templars, Americans = Assassins" split, despite the article hinting otherwise. Why would "Assassins" be for policies like slavery and displacing Native Americans?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I'm wondering how AC3 is gonna handle slavery in this game. Hopefully there will be some missions where you kill some slave traders.

Perhaps you could help free slaves and recruit them into the order?

Zeliard

There's still plenty of problems I had with the concept that are not actually solved with the information provided.

It goes furthest to alleviate my problem with the country travel, but I still highly doubt this will be as interesting as traveling around genuinely great cities. From the sound of it, actually, they're basically admitting there is going to be a whole lot more ground travel, but they're trying to spice it up with sliding and more free running hijinks... which is neat, but is not in my estimation a good exchange for a properly dense city with huge lateral movement. We will have to see how it works in practice.

As an aside, they also didn't mention how slavery is being handled, which I am extremely curious about. I hate when period pieces of any kind try to skirt around these complex issues.

There is a lot to like too, however. I like the sound of the battle system they got going... it's going to be rad to wade around during huge iconic battles in the Revolutionary War. I like the time period they're utilizing. This allows for a huge array of key moments in early American history. I also love the changing seasons and in particular the key point "rivers and lakes will freeze during winter, giving you new traversal opportunities." That is a really novel approach.

Definitely still plenty of questions, and ultimately Game Informer and Ubi can throw out all the tidbits of info they want but it won't guarantee execution.

But I was already excited for the setting beforehand, and for the visuals to basically match exactly what I wanted and was expecting is a treat. And much of the info Nirolak got from the GI issue are also things that were expected and thought to be potentially great, like the much greater emphasis on wilderness, including elements like tree-climbing.

Zeliard said:
I think it would be pretty damn cool if we can get an approximation of what cities like Boston and New York were like during the time of the Revolution. Not only do we rarely ever get games set during the American Revolution, but as far as games where you can travel around a 3D environment in that setting? Non-existent, as far as I know. This should be quite a treat even if only in that regard.

The Revolutionary war should also give Ubi more of an opportunity to diversify the gameplay. They don't have to be so heavily city-focused as they were in past games. The fact that the cities of that time are less-established than the big ones from past games means that Ubi can ideally give us more of them and spruce up the wilderness portions as well.

Since they stopped the AC2 "sequels" and are finally going with an official 3rd game, I'm assuming we'll see some 'revolutions' - beh heh heh - in the gameplay, whether that comes with the combat, traversal, who knows. But it should be fairly different, probably, without losing what makes AC what it is.

It's exactly what I wanted. Boston & New York during the Revolution, significant wilderness element and less of a city focus overall, and some big differences in the gameplay to accommodate the setting. Looks like we're getting just that.

As far as hot button topics, it remains to see how they approach those, certainly. But it doesn't seem like they're going to shy too much from portraying certain darker aspects of life at the time, i.e. the treatment Native Americans faced.

CrazyDude

Looks like I misremembered the glyph puzzle stuff from the earlier games.

Still, though, I hope it's not a "British = Templars, Americans = Assassins" split, despite the article hinting otherwise. Why would "Assassins" be for policies like slavery and displacing Native Americans?

Interestingly, this was about the time when the Antislavery movement in the north started to gain momentum.

paskowitz

Can't wait to experience this:

original_GW_Portait.jpg

Because that is how it happened.

rataven

Yeah.

Let's have Ezio, AGAIN. A smooth-talking womanizing Native American playboy.

That would fit right into the era.

smh

Altair is often described as 'stoic', and he took a loooong time to warm up to. Plenty of people still don't like him. I can see why describing Connor with the same quality would be off-putting for some.

Amir0x

Banned
They better show Ben Franklin with a French girl in both arms.

During the time he was in America that this game also takes place during, 1753+, he wouldn't have had french girls hanging off his arm. He was tagged by his wife Deborah Reed, who he actually had a respectful regard for even if not sexual, and instead formed many 'amorous' relationships with intellectual women whom he engaged readily in letters. His reputation as a whorer is so exaggerated it's comical, and the women who studied his relationship with women the most found virtually no evidence of it outside of his one illegitimate child who he also raised.

Who we might see is Katherine Ray hanging off his arm, whom he incidentally meets in 1754 - one year after this game starts taking place. This sparks off a lifelong friendship (he remains friends and writing to her until the day she died, well after she married and well after Benjamin Franklin's wife dies) and the relationship never became sexual. There is evidence he was interested in her early on, but it quickly shifted into a fatherly relationship and he continued to engage her intellectually until the day he died.

CrazyDude

During the time he was in America that this game also takes place during, 1753+, he wouldn't have had french girls hanging off his arm. He was tagged by his wife Deborah Reed, who he actually had a respectful regard for even if not sexual, and instead formed many 'amorous' relationships with intellectual women whom he engaged readily in letters. His reputation as a whorer is so exaggerated it's comical, and the women who studied his relationship with women the most found virtually no evidence of it outside of his one illegitimate child who he also raised.

Who we might see is Katherine Ray hanging off his arm, whom he incidentally meets in 1754 - one year after this game starts taking place. This sparks off a lifelong friendship (he remains friends and writing to her until the day she died, well after she married and well after Benjamin Franklin's wife dies) and the relationship never became sexual. There is evidence he was interested in her early on, but it quickly shifted into a fatherly relationship and he continued to engage her intellectually until the day he died.

It was just meant to be a joke. >_>

Just read the article. Good gravy, if even half of this stuff comes to fruition this will redeem them for the annualizing of AC2.

rdrr gnr

What is it about? I got bored with the second part because there was no challenge at all.
It's subjective of course, but combat has never been a focus. It's more of a spectacle with finishers than some intricately deep system. AC is about the environment and for many the tale of conspiracy. However, this iteration seems to change that system slightly.

vareon

Quick and dirty Revelation spoilers to catch you up.
Ezio helped Istanbul assassins get their shit together and Desmond recovered from his coma. Altair recorded memories that lead Ezio to an Apple that allowed Ezio to send a message to Desmond and clued him in on what to do next.

You are a good guy. Now I don't feel compelled to buy Revelations.

Sounds mind-blowing.

If only they hadn't released Brotherhood and/or at least Revelations. It would have been so much more awesome if we would have really been hungered out by Ubisoft.
But they probably thought, if ActiBlizz can release a Call of Duty every year, we can do that too.

rdrr gnr

Sounds mind-blowing.

If only they hadn't released Brotherhood and/or at least Revelations. It would have been so much more awesome if we would have really been hungered out by Ubisoft.
But they probably thought, if ActiBlizz can release a Call of Duty every year, we can do that too.
Revelations I can understand, but AssBro was a solid entry. Plus, they get to test the waters. Now we know this title won't have some stupid shit like den defense.

Kinyou

Revelations I can understand, but AssBro was a solid entry. Plus, they get to test the waters. Now we know this title won't have some stupid shit like den defense.
Imho did AssBro mostly justify its existence with all the Desmond stuff going on. Revelations brought the actual plot barely further.

The MP was quite improved though.

Snakeyes

You've destroyed my image of him being a scientific pimp :(

Well there are more than one tribe. Some sided with the American while others side with the British. Of course the most powerful ones sided with the British. The Mohawk tribe, the same one that Conor was raised in, also sided with the British, so it should be interesting to figure out why he is helping the Americans.

Mohawk fought on both sides.

Amir0x

Banned
You've destroyed my image of him being a scientific pimp :(

You should really read Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson. The image it paints of Benjamin Franklin's female encounters is actually far more endearing than the one painted by the popular myths. In it, Benjamin Franklin comes across as a sort of overeager suitor who always goes after girls that are either out of his league or who are so vastly different in age that such a relationship would be awkward even during this time period (he famously started writing letters to the 11 year old daughter of one of his friends, another person who he intellectually engaged in many letters throughout his life). In these relationships, he has a love of flirting, but seems to interpret flirting even through the lens of intellectual exchange.

With Katherine Ray, his first real lifelong female acquaintance (he had an easier time becoming real friends with females than men, whom who constantly had trouble establishing bonds with), was subject to a few early and very awkward advances in which she kindly and sweetly turned him down until he agreed (reluctantly, perhaps, he was always playing both sides of the fence in letters) to play the role of father. Benjamin Franklin notoriously engaged his own wife Deborah Reed in a very limited fashion in regards to intellectual pursuits, as she was petrified of travel (he loved travel) and shared very little interest in his inventions (in fact, some even scared her). Benjamin Franklin valued her as a wonderful house keeper and organizer who kept his businesses at home in place. However, he was also supremely cold to her and left to London for 15 years and even when she was getting sick and was begging him to come back to see her, he declined... and she eventually died before he got back. He also seemed more engaged mentally with his female pen pals.

So the honest assessment of Benjamin Franklin is a sort of almost pathetically lecherous flirtatious old man who always toys around the edges of accepted interactions with much younger females, but almost certainly rarely if ever acted on it.

He also famously wrote a screed explaining the virtues of going after old women sexually instead of young women ;)

Dreaver

Normally summaries like these are fake rumors... Because it all sounds too good to be true... Except I know this isn't because they aren't rumors!

Hype +1000

can not wait.

Irish

I hope it super similar to AC1 in terms of character depth and dialogue as well as general structure. ACII is clearly the better game of the two, but the characters and story were like a complete 180 in the wrong direction. Revelations started to fix that though. Will never get the love for Ezio or his batshit insane story. The best part of II was the very beginning before you even became an Assassin and apparently everyone else hated the beginning.

Rikyfree

For the love of all that is good in this world, please, Ubisoft, find a way to get Promontory in this game when running through a battle to kill a very high ranking Templar.

Irish

Man, that snow looks really fucking incredible in stills. I need to see it in motion soon. It piles up so nicely and I love the way it appears to deform as Connor moves through it. The blood slowing sleeping into the snow while melting it at the same time also looks cool.

It didn't turn out as great as I wanted but I tried my hand at making the GI alternate cover a wallpaper. First wallpaper I've ever made.

Original

Into:

Wallpaper
*I didn't want to stretch the page so I made them links, not direct images. That's the only reason for that.

I wanted to keep it pretty minimalist on the sides to keep the emphasis on the actual cover art, but it still looks pretty plain. I might touch it up tomorrow or something, but right now I think it looks pretty decent.

Not sure what the policy is on posting this kind of stuff(I'm new, hence the "Junior Member" label over yonder), so if this is against some rule let me know.

KingK

I tried playing AC1 back when it was still fairly new (like, around 2008). I only played it for like 45 minutes and never really felt like going back. I remember thinking the combat wasn't very good. But apparently AC2 is a lot better, and this looks interesting, so I might try to get into the series again. The first one is only $15 and 2 is only $20 on amazon.

I'm considering just playing AC2 though. Can I jump right into that game, or do I really have to play the first one first?

Irish

I'm considering just playing AC2 though. Can I jump right into that game, or do I really have to play the first one first?

Jump right into ACII. There is a recap of the first game at the beginning.

*grumbles* Silly people and their inability to play through my fave AC game.

People are saying this game looks like that movie The Last of the Mohicans, I never seen it before but apparently it is on netflix so I got to watch that now.

Top Bottom