• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
100% Synchronization.

Every feather. Every chest. Every sidequest. Every secret location. Villa at 100%. Both DLCs to completion.

Boo ya.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
ZealousD said:
100% Synchronization.

Every feather. Every chest. Every sidequest. Every secret location. Villa at 100%. Both DLCs to completion.

Boo ya.

Congratulations. I was at the high 90s until the rest of the DLC hit. Didn't take long for me to hit 100% after that. Incredibly satisfying, innit?

jett

D-Member
Man I'm trying the feather garbage, fuck whoever thought of that bullshit. It's not fun at all, it's just a bore.

Flipyap

If it includes more meta-story and conspiracy puzzle minigames - bought. It might even be reskinned Imagine Babyz, I don't care.

Talon

jett said:
Man I'm trying the feather garbage, fuck whoever thought of that bullshit. It's not fun at all, it's just a bore.
You don't have to gather them if you hate doing it, my friend.

Only reason I did it was to 100% this game. And check out more of the beautiful vistas.

ZealousD

jett said:

I had maps printed out while I was playing through the game. Checked them off as I picked them up. Then I'd see which ones I missed before leaving the city for the next.

Mejilan said:
Congratulations. I was at the high 90s until the rest of the DLC hit. Didn't take long for me to hit 100% after that. Incredibly satisfying, innit?

Yup! It helped that the game is fucking amazing.

ZealousD said:
100% Synchronization.

Boo ya.

you are a man amongst boys, I couldnt do it (im not much of a completionist anyways) I had thought I about it, but I have 20+ viewpoints, 40+ feathers and really couldnt see myself going back.

I only made sure I got all the TRUTH glyphs and all the Assassins Tombs

Magni

ZealousD said:
100% Synchronization.

Boo ya.

Every feather. Every chest. Villa at 100%. Sequences 13 and 14 finished. Still need to do the secret locations, templar places, sidequests, and a handful of achievements (sand, spear)

Zenith

Banned
GAF, I have a question: I have found the last codex page and need it to be decoded but Leonardo has departed from Venice. I have done the mission where you fight Borgias but do not kill him and Leonardo has given a heartfelt goodbye. Can I no longer see him? Am I stuck with an incomplete Codex for good? Where is he?

Blader

Zenith said:
GAF, I have a question: I have found the last codex page and need it to be decoded but Leonardo has departed from Venice. I have done the mission where you fight Borgias but do not kill him and Leonardo has given a heartfelt goodbye. Can I no longer see him? Am I stuck with an incomplete Codex for good? Where is he?

He's in the house, in Monteriggioni.

ZealousD

Mejilan said:
I actually got every single templar and flag in the original AC, as well!

Well the first Assassin's Creed was a lot more annoying, so the templars and flags are where I stopped. =X

Mrbob

So I got a couple hours into the PC version of Creed 1 since I bought it off a steam sale. Then I noticed amazon has the 360 and PS3 versions on sale for 25 bucks. I have a 10 dollar credit to use so I picked up the 360 version and it will be here early next week. I've constantly read posts about how Ass Creed 2 fixes almost all the glaring issues with the first game, and I've been feeling a little repetitous with it already. Should I just read the Ass Creed 1 story spoilers on Wikipedia and hop into Creed 2? I dunno if I want to trudge through the first one at the moment, after hearing how much better part two is.

ZealousD

Mrbob said:
So I got a couple hours into the PC version of Creed 1 since I bought it off a steam sale. Then I noticed amazon has the 360 and PS3 versions on sale for 25 bucks. I have a 10 dollar credit to use so I picked up the 360 version and it will be here early next week. I've constantly read posts about how Ass Creed 2 fixes almost all the glaring issues with the first game, and I've been feeling a little repetitous with it already. Should I just read the Ass Creed 1 story spoilers on Wikipedia and hop into Creed 2? I dunno if I want to drudge through the first one at the moment, after hearing how much better part two is.

Do the minimum number of missions required to advance to each assassination. If you're not a completionist in any capacity, Creed 1 is actually quite short.

Reading the story spoilers will absolutely not give you the same effect as playing through it. You're going to start reading the spoilers and go "WTF THIS MAKES NO SENSE". You'll say the same thing if you play through it instead, but at least it'll be in a good way.

How far into Creed 1 are you? How many assassinations?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Where's a good spot to kill 10 guards? I already finished the game... and the one spot where it probably would have been really easy I wasn't thinking about it.

And whats the deal with wearing the cape in every city... do I have to go to the mountains and stuff too?

Those are the only two things I have left for the platinum (first one I ever really tried to get).

ZealousD

recklessmind said:
Where's a good spot to kill 10 guards? I already finished the game... and the one spot where it probably would have been really easy I wasn't thinking about it.

Anywhere will work really. San Marco in Venice is probably the best. I did mine in San Giranamo or whatever. Just pull a few guards around. When you have only one left fighting you, just keep moving around until more guards aggro you.

And whats the deal with wearing the cape in every city... do I have to go to the mountains and stuff too?

Yeah. Florence, Mountains, Villa, Tuscany, Romagna, and Venice.

Started this game up again after a few months of not playing it, and I'm sure glad I did. It's an awesome game, playing it just puts me in some sort of "zone."

Ikkarus

Just completed the game. Really enjoyed it and never once felt a chore.
I'm really looking forward to the next installment now.

My only gripe wasn't with the game itself but it seems like I have fallen victim to my fist ever trophy glitch. None of my trophies from DNA sequence 10 until the end of the game unlocked today. =/

So I just completed the DLC after weeks of putting them off. Sequence 13 was GREAT! I loved the "...don't get caught" missions. Some of the best stealth sequences I've ever played. I loved hurrying to pick up a body before it slid off the edge of the roof into a crowd of guards. Also, I found use for the gun attachment on one mission because I couldn't find a safe way in so I got as close as I could (after a few tries) and risked being caught a fraction of a second before firing. Good stuff.

Ikkarus said:
Just completed the game. Really enjoyed it and never once felt a chore.
I'm really looking forward to the next installment now.

My only gripe wasn't with the game itself but it seems like I have fallen victim to my fist ever trophy glitch. None of my trophies from DNA sequence 10 until the end of the game unlocked today. =/

Yeah, that happened to me. I didn't get the trophy for re-entering the animus after training with Desmond. I restarted the game under a new story save slot and did ONLY the story missions. It really didn't take that long if you really want to get that trophy you missed. Ignoring the side missions, collectibles and view points really shortens the game quite a bit though I don't recommend it for anyone playing for the first time obviously. There was one instance where I needed a viewpoint because I couldn't remember where the exit from Firenze was haha so I opened up a viewpoint or two to find it.

I played about 30 percent of the game on 360 last year but haven't played it since I sold my 360 (and recently, my Wii). I decided that for my lifestyle right now (college student working and starting my own business) that I only need one system. I'm going to pick up the game again for my PS3 (GS still have a Collector's Edition left :D ). Next week is going to be busy for me gaming wise. I'm getting ACII today, RDR Tuesday and I still haven't played my new copy Persona 4 yet and have SSFIV that I'm currently playing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Game's getting a re-release with DLC on disc for the UK next month.

Ubisoft will release a new retail version of Assassin’s Creed II in June.

Dubbed the Complete Edition, this SKU includes a full copy of the game and both DLC expansions: The Battle of Forli and Bonfire of the Vanites.

It also includes three Templar Secret locations that were previously only available in the special Assassin’s Creed II: Black Edition, according to Play.com.

The Complete Edition will only be available for Xbox 360 and PS3, and will be released in the UK on June 4th.

Ubisoft has already revealed the next entry in the series, Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood, which follows on from the story of Assassin’s Creed II. The game is expected on shelves by the end of the year.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39024/Ubisoft-reveals-ACII-Complete-Edition

JWong

Banned
I came back from an hour presentation on Assassin's Creed 2 design with the lead designer.

Man, it is mindblowing what they did to make the game.

How do I beat the ridiculous capture the flag game? I mean all the assassinations etc are easy and I get hung up on this!?!

Poor game design this folks, making the game hinge on an irritating mini game... reminds me of Jak 2 (which was a much better game though)

I actually don't really see how this game fixes many of the issues of the first....missions still seem pretty repetitive to me and coming off games such as Uncharted 2 and GoW3, presentation seems a bit weak.

xMk2x

Banned
JWong said:
I came back from an hour presentation on Assassin's Creed 2 design with the lead designer.

Man, it is mindblowing what they did to make the game.
Do you know if there was anyone filming or at the least recording audio of this presentation? I read a post-mortem on it but would absolutely love video if they showed any visual aids.

thechemist

In addition to the complete edition:

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStati...n-Creed-II-Special-Film-Edition/Product.html#

Assassin Creed II Special Film Edition.

I don't understand why the had to produce two different products.

# Assassins Creed II: Special Film Edition Includes:
# Assassin's Creed II full game
# Assassin's Creed Lineage - 36 minute film, on DVD
# Comic Book Lithographs
# Both DLC packs: Battle of Forli & Bonfire of the Vanities
# 3 Templar Secret Locations (Palazzo Medici + Santa Maria dei Frari + Arsenal Shipyard), previously only available in the Assassin's Creed 2 Black Edition

15175830x.jpg

Ive decided to pick this game up tonight but I have a quick question and I'm sure its been asked in this thread before, but is it necessary to play AC before playing the sequel?

Struct09

JetBlackPanda said:
Ive decided to pick this game up tonight but I have a quick question and I'm sure its been asked in this thread before, but is it necessary to play AC before playing the sequel?

Nah, jumping right into AC2 is fine

Montresor

This game was amazing, but I didn't like the fighting mechanics much. I love platforming in Ubisoft games. Platforming gameplay in this game is exquisite - scaling walls, jumping from post to post, swinging off poles, leaps of faith, etc... It doesn't require much skill but it's so fun to pull off. My favourite parts of the game are the
tomb missions
. Whenever I had to fight enemies I tried my best to assassinate them (stealthily or otherwise) - if that failed I would groan and just man up and take out my sword/dagger.

Exploration was fun too. The locales are beautiful. It was very fun jumping from rooftop to rooftop, enjoying the scenery, and looking for feathers. I actually gave up after getting ~~56 of my own feathers, and just used a guide for the rest. Don't judge me. =(

I love the cute little smile some of the characters do when they're flustered. I can't quite describe it more properly, but I've seen Ezio do it a couple of times.

The database needs to be more like Mass Effect's journal. Mark if read, you know what I mean?

witness

Well I got this game on friday from gamefly, and for reference I LOVED the original game and forgave its shortcomings because I loved the setting and history, and holy fucking shit this game is amazing. The original isn't even in the same league as this thing, its truly incredible. I've been playing it all weekend, I love the RPG elements they put in (upgrading armor, weapons, etc) and the city building is very addicting and awesome to see your town transform. The setting for me is even better than the first one. My great grandparents were fresh off the boat from Italy, so I love seeing and playing in Italy and hearing Italian (love that they keep certain italian phrases in there and offer an Italian language track), its just great. I don't even miss the Crusades theme from the original and I'm glad to hear that they are doing a fully realized Rome in Brotherhood.

The variety in the mission design is just fantastic and makes the first game obsolete. I loved the combat system in the first game and its even better this time around. I just want to keep playing it more and more and I can't wait to see what happens next, its just been an amazing ride so far.

If I would have played this last year it would have been my GoTY. I can't wait for Brotherhood now.

This is my favorite game of the gen. Replaying through the PS3 version, it's just simply an amazing game. Graphics are great, art direction is unparalleled, the scope is ridiculous, the voice acting is good, music is incredibly atmospheric and varied and while the various mission structures can get repetitive, it's still a blast to play.

I can't get over how moving and atmospheric Monteriggiano is though. They struck such an amazing tone with that place.

Finally finished. I really love where the story is heading. But fuck the feathers, man. I spend an hour trying to find the last one in Florence before giving up. I have only two left in Tuscany, too; I bet those are just as impossible to find. Advice to future players: use a visual walkthrough and CHECK THEM OFF. I only used the former and now I bet I have to backtrack all of them. I doubt it's worth it.

There are 3 other achievements I need help getting: Messer Sandman, Doctor, and Sweeper. Where are the best places to get those?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
ChoklitReign said:
Finally finished. I really love where the story is heading. But fuck the feathers, man. I spend an hour trying to find the last one in Florence before giving up. I have only two left in Tuscany, too; I bet those are just as impossible to find. Advice to future players: use a visual walkthrough and CHECK THEM OFF. I only used the former and now I bet I have to backtrack all of them. I doubt it's worth it.

There are 3 other achievements I need help getting: Messer Sandman, Doctor, and Sweeper. Where are the best places to get those?

The game should tell you what district the feathers are in, it counts them off as you collect them.

I've got one feather to find in Venice and the Sweeper achievement to get and then I've 1000'd this bitch. :D But I really wanted to post what I liked and didn't like about AC2:

The Good
-Numerous ways to kill guards/the feeling of being a badass
-Good effort put into the story
-Hub world
-A better GTA game than any GTA
-The detail of the cities

The Bad
-Combat is too easy. Bring back regenerating health so you don't have to use 3 medpacks in a battle. Only heal afterwards. It looks like guards are more aggressive in Brotherhood which is a plus.
-Side-missions, like the races and assassination missions where you can't be detected, require too much trial and error. Take out all time-based missions and replace the races with CTF like the Carnivale game.
-Have the option to assassinate any target with stealth, even if it is challenging. I liked the main assassinations as much as the ones in AC1, but this time there's no room for creativity. The developers have only one method in mind for both the main and the optional assassinations.
-The checkpoints for the side-missions blow. If you fail you spawn where you accepted the mission, even if the objective is on the other side of the map. Burnout Paradise fixed this, why didn't Ubisoft?
-Tearing and pop-in on the 360 are bigger problems than in the first game. Don't give a game a graphics boost when the console can't handle it.

But overall it was extremely enjoyable and my GOTY for 2009. I hope Brotherhood offers a decent amount of content considering that Rome is supposed to be as big as all of the cities in AC2. I can't wait to see where the story heads. I honestly wouldn't mind a game where you play only as Desmond and
travel around the world finding all of the Vaults a la Indiana Jones. I really got that feeling when I spent a third of the game hunting for treasure chests (only 20 left).
He just needs more character development (loved Altair's codex diaries) to be as likeable as Altair and Ezio.

Tomasooie

ChoklitReign said:
Combat is too easy. Bring back regenerating health so you don't have to use 3 medpacks in a battle. Only heal afterwards.
If the combat is so easy then why are you healing three times per battle? It is too easy though, and regenerating health certainly wouldn't make it any harder. I honestly wish they'd have kept it like in the original E3 demo: one hit and you're done.

Top Bottom