• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: American Revolution setting confirmed [Game Informer/Box Art]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen quite a few comments from English people that express negative feelings towards the fact that the cover depicts a redcoat being stabbed. And that's from the informed crowd who's already more or less intimately aware of the Assassin's Creed brand. Now take that level of informed and go down a few pegs and imagine what will happen.

Or to put it another way: do you think that a game cover art that had the protagonist killing an American soldier (while a foreign flag flies in the background) would ever fly in the US? If not, why should it be such a surprise that similar reactions (in quality if not quantity) could happen elsewhere?
If it dealt with history and was based on facts, I don't see why there'd be a problem. Not that Mr main character is factually accurate but the American side of the war did win and they were all about the flag and what it represented. They're setting a theme. Without the flag, it could be looked at as ambiguous.

injurai

Banned
If it dealt with history and was based on facts, I don't see why there'd be a problem. Not that Mr main character is factually accurate but the American side of the war did win and they were all about the flag and what it represented. They're setting a theme. Without the flag, it could be looked at as ambiguous.

Exactly. I think they have a great theme going, and I haven't been excited to this extend since I first so the crusades feel from AC1. My only true worry is gameplay. I want it to feel new, and I hope the chances for a changed level design fuel that. But people that are complaining about the setting either have something against this historic period or have their heads up their asses.

For folks getting antsy over a Redcoat getting stabbed, do they get upset about pretty much every hollywood movie set between 1700 and 1800?

evilive7

Banned
Im assuming from the "OMG hes stabbing a Redcoat" sentiment in this thread that everyone of Italian or Turkish descent hates the previous 3 games. Wait...they dont.

I guess the American Revolution is still a sore spot? Really?

rdrr gnr

Great time period that will make for a great 3 game arc.

First game- The birth of an assassin during the Revolutionary War. 100% sure there will be a prison ship level.

Second game- Growing Assassin skills put to the test helping the French Revolution. (This will be the best in the trilogy. The Bastille will be one of gaming's greatest achievements.)

Third game- Napoleon, once an ally to the Assassins, has been corrupted by the Piece of Eden. Time to bring his regime down!
I'd say the first two definitely make sense, but I feel like the they could reuse way too many assets between 2 and 3. I'd rather have this protagonist travel somewhere else in the world for some reason and take care of some other issue after the French revolution. Aside from France (ignoring the Napoleonic Wars), where were the most interesting historical events early into the 19th century? Serbia? My personal choice would be during the Barbary States conflict.

British are now called opposing force
I'm dying.

nluckett

Didn't see these posted (from http://terak.tumblr.com/post/18608022238/assassins-creed-3). Hopefully real and not fan mockups.

tumblr_m09l513_OPO1qbn3hqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m09l513_OPO1qbn3hqo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m09l513_OPO1qbn3hqo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_m09l513_OPO1qbn3hqo4_1280.jpg

rdrr gnr

Wow. Nice catch. Those look intense! Especially that last one.

Oh, and that should settle the architecture worries as well. Looks decent enough.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
tumblr_m09l513OPO1qbn3hqo2_1280.jpg

YES,WEATHER EFFECTS! I'm a sucker for that shit. Yes i'm looking at you RDR.
tumblr_m09l513OPO1qbn3hqo4_1280.jpg

Those look incredible. Stalking wildlife in the forest!?? Red Dead flashbacks but thats not a bad thing. Wonder how the mechanics are going to come together.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hmm yes, snow and rain. The architecture looks good enough in that picture too. I have a feeling the locations will feel even more "alive" than in the previous games.

For folks getting antsy over a Redcoat getting stabbed, do they get upset about pretty much every hollywood movie set between 1700 and 1800?

would any american feel upset if they were given the same treatment english people from basically any time period usually get in hollywood movies?

Cheerwine

Neo Member
A revolution is the uprising of the people of the given state against an oppressor resulting in successful change in regimes. It is accompanied by ideals that are spread throughout the whole society and it is the society itself that fights against the oppressor through civil disobedience.

While you can say that american revolution also features the oppressor in the form of England this is a bit of stretch as the settlers were not fighting for some grand ideal that would change the regime but rather they simply fought to be free from the nation that was imposing control on them. This, is the really much more reminiscent of an open war conflict rather than social revolution of the people.

That is why the Bolshevik and the French revolution settings work as settings. American revolution is really a war between the settlers and the British Empire, which Britain remarkably lost.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your position, but You don't think the American revolutionaries were driven by the grand ideal of a republican form of government? That the Declaration of Independence is a document absent the same kind of social idealism displayed in those other revolutions? Sure, they didn't try to change the entire British government, but if that's the metric for defining a revolution you're discounting a lot of wars of independence.

Probably the closest we'll get to a Dutch setting since the buildings look so similar.

I like. I've always been fascinated by American History (I loved the HBO miniseries of John Adams) because we generally don't learn a lot of it in Dutch history classes.

evilive7

Banned
I would think the more rural setting would cut down considerably on the parkour and pump up the stealth elements.

I am considerably more excited about this game than I was a few days ago.

Kind of looks like the hidden blade is gone (or actually hidden?). Maybe they'll replace it with a hidden tomahawk!

Edit: Oh, he's clearly got it in that game informer cover.

Looks so good. But with all these soldiers, I swear to god, if they have American Revolution Tower Defense mini game I'm going to kick a child.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i don't really care about the fact that you're killing british people

but lordt help me if it goes in for any patriotic cheerleading. that shit is tedious for non-americans.

[edit]actually, i don't want to generalise. it's tedious for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom