• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Mirage | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Assasin's Creed Mirage will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 75 29.1%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 121 46.9%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You guys have me wanting to impulse purchase this even though I've got a lot on the gaming plate right now. I was already interested before I knew it was going to be a "budget" priced release.

Kacho

Movement feels a little janky at times. That’s the only thing that jumps out at me. Never had this issue in Valhalla. Wonder what it is since this is clearly just more of that.

Game is exactly what I expected it to be. Looking forward to completing it over the weekend.

Jemm

Beginning is a bit drag, but after prologue and training you'll finally get to the title screen and reach Baghdad. After finding the bureau, you'll get your freedom and that's when the fun begins.

Did a story mission at the docks and it was good old stealth play. Heavy dudes can be assassinated with one hit etc. No high expectations for the story etc, but the gameplay mechanics are familiar (and somewhat improved) enough. I liked Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla, too, but this is a refreshing change before the next huge entry.

Works well on XSX in perf. mode, though cut scenes are janky (30fps?).

EDMIX

Crazy to think this is a newly formed team. Glad to hear a lot are liking it thus far, will probably pick it up some time next year.

If I had the time, this was going to be a day 1 for sure, but we are knee deep in like several RPGS lol

I hope if this does well, Ubisoft has this team continue making the traditional style AC games so...maybe we see one 2028 by them.

Kenpachii

The first hour of this game is really fucking weird.

Poor dialogue , trash voice acting, and some butt ugly character models/faces.

Also I’m playing on hard mode and the AI might be retarded?

Specially the training camp made me feel like playing a PS3 game lol.

But the game is butt easy, because if u can assassinate everything in 1 hit, what's the difficulty then. Just whissle, kill, whissle kill etc etc.

dEvAnGeL

Amazing game. Having a great time and this is exactly what I was expecting. After Valhalla, which is the only AC game I didn’t finish. It feels good to have a smaller, more focused game.

SJRB

Gold Member
Specially the training camp made me feel like playing a PS3 game lol.

But the game is butt easy, because if u can assassinate everything in 1 hit, what's the difficulty then. Just whissle, kill, whissle kill etc etc.

It's kinda weird how they make the training segment a mandatory thing. Surely after 13 games, most people know how to climb a wall or assassinate from a haystack.

I understand it's also used for character development, but making it optional would be a more elegant, less time wasting solution.

Thinking of giving this a go this weekend, but not looking forward to bruteforcing through the prologue/intro sections one bit.

xrnzaaas

It's kinda weird how they make the training segment a mandatory thing. Surely after 13 games, most people know how to climb a wall or assassinate from a haystack.

I understand it's also used for character development, but making it optional would be a more elegant, less time wasting solution.

Thinking of giving this a go this weekend, but not looking forward to bruteforcing through the prologue/intro sections one bit.
Mainstream games always have to rely on the fact that for some players it will be the first one in the series. I always laugh when a new Forza game reminds me how to accelerate, brake and rewind.

Eiknarf

Banned
Amazing game. Having a great time and this is exactly what I was expecting. After Valhalla, which is the only AC game I didn’t finish. It feels good to have a smaller, more focused game.
Are there adaptive triggers and haptic feedback on the Dualsense?

(I’ve yet to get concrete confirmation)

NeoGAF says, “No”

Twitter says, “Yes”

YouTube says, “No” and “yes”

So I’d take your answer as you’re actually playing it

Last edited:

dEvAnGeL

NeoGAF says, “No”

Twitter says, “Yes”

I will check and get back to you. I have them off in the system settings since i dont like them.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

NeoGAF says, “No”

Twitter says, “Yes”

No. Compared to say final fantasy 16, this is not that. It’s not using the triggers to create tension, the rumble is just generic junk. I haven’t heard my controller play sounds out of it.

This is playing on ps5.

Eiknarf

Banned
No. Compared to say final fantasy 16, this is not that. It’s not using the triggers to create tension, the rumble is just generic junk. I haven’t heard my controller play sounds out of it.

This is playing on ps5.
Oh interesting- especially in 2023 on a PS5

It’s a shame. I would have ran out and bought it today.

I like my games to feel like the Dead Space remake. Callisto Protocol. The Last of Us part 1. Ghost of Tsushima Directors cut.

Arsic

Omg this game is boring me to death.
Yeah I’m struggling to find any redeeming qualities to this game.

Feels worse than a ps3 title with a barely ps4 pro level of visuals. Plays meh, flows meh, and has old issues from past games here with climbing. Combat is just so bleh.

Eiknarf

Banned

This is playing on ps5.
I just looked at the back of the box on a physical copy being sold on eBay, and it only reads, “Vibration Function Supported”. So that’s very last generation.

The current gen games like Dead Space Remake, The Last of Us Part I, Deathloop, Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut etc etc read, “Vibration Function and Trigger Effects Supported”

Arsic

I’ve gotta be real as a long time fan of this series fluctuating between 8/10 or 9/10 games, this is abysmal.

I’m struggling to find any enjoyment. Name any part of a game and there is glaring issues here.

Hard pressed after 3 hours to feel this is even worth $20 or past a 5/10 score. It’s just slop.

Flabagast

I’ve gotta be real as a long time fan of this series fluctuating between 8/10 or 9/10 games, this is abysmal.

I’m struggling to find any enjoyment. Name any part of a game and there is glaring issues here.

Hard pressed after 3 hours to feel this is even worth $20 or past a 5/10 score. It’s just slop.
Could you develop a little bit ? I am on the fence on this one

SJRB

Gold Member
Start of this game is like a Saturday morning cartoon, atmosphere and writing legit feels like it’s aimed at little kids.

Basim is insufferable, holy crap. “Notice me, senpai!”

Music is beautiful though, that menu music is incredible.

Last edited:

Arsic

Could you develop a little bit ? I am on the fence on this one
Dialogue is poorly written and even more poorly delivered. Initial story set up has no draw. Basim is whack and dull. His motivation is meh, especially compared to say Origins.

Combat for stealth ? Go into high grass, whistle, auto kill, repeat. Combat outside of it ? Parry, hit hit, dodge, hit hit. This is on hard mode.

Activities around town need constant eagle vision so it takes you out of immersion because it’s very deep red and blue used.

Chromatic use here isn’t just “too much”… it makes the game have a green vomit filter.

Facial tech /models are awful even compared to Valhalla. Environments seem better though.

The AI is full blown dumb AF. Pickpocket mini game is bad because you have to react perfectly right away instead of it being a meter that contracts and expands to time it. Instead you either tap correctly immediately or you blew it .

The game offers no carrot to pursue here or interest for me.

If someone is further perhaps they can expand on if the narrative ever picks up a good chunk or if Basim is likable cuz right now he’s stiff as a board.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I am really, really enjoying this game. It reminds me of Assassin's Creed 2 - by far my favorite entry in the genre - so much. Basim is a very likeable character, if purposefully uncomplicated (at least three or so hours in).

Best $50 I've spent for my PS5 in a long time. And man, the surround sound support is great in some places. It looks better than my recollections of Valhalla as well.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I put more time in, and I'm sad to say that while I thought the combat would improve with time and new skills, it doesn't.

In AC2 and Black Flag, it felt good taking on multiple opponents. Using various weapons, mixing in ranged, disengaging then re-engaing. All that. None of that is present here. Not only is it awful attempting to take on more than one opponent at a time, but they all move the same exact way and spam the same attacks. Dodging and blocking both feel far from precise when there's more than one enemy swinging at you. It's just bad.

I'm also finding most quests relying on the same formula. In AC2 using distractions was totally optional, and basically just helped a little and added some variety to how one approaches a target or goal. In this they're pretty much a necessity in many situations, and require tokens that need to be grinded as far as I can tell.

Knocked down several pegs for me. The core AC gameplay outside of combat and the big scripted levels is largely intact, but man, the components that are bad are preeeettty bad.

Last edited:

Zheph

I put more time in, and I'm sad to say that while I thought the combat would improve with time and new skills, it doesn't.

In AC2 and Black Flag, it felt good taking on multiple opponents. Using various weapons, mixing in ranged, disengaging then re-engaing. All that. None of that is present here. Not only is it awful attempting to take on more than one opponent at a time, but they all move the same exact way and spam the same attacks. Dodging and blocking both feel far from precise when there's more than one enemy swinging at you. It's just bad.

I'm also finding most quests relying on the same formula. In AC2 using distractions was totally optional, and basically just helped a little and added some variety to how one approaches a target or goal. In this they're pretty much a necessity in many situations, and require tokens that need to be grinded as far as I can tell.

Knocked down several pegs for me. The core AC gameplay outside of combat and the big scripted levels is largely intact, but man, the components that are bad are preeeettty bad.
Quite a change... how many hours you had in your first message? It felt rather wild no offense

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Quite a change... how many hours you had in your first message? It felt rather wild no offense

Like maybe 3 hours. The problems I've found really hit after the long introductory period, when you've finally become an assassin and start doing the world quests.

Zheph

Like maybe 3 hours. The problems I've found really hit after the long introductory period, when you've finally become an assassin and start doing the world quests.
Sorry you can't find that AC2 feeling you were looking for
I was really on the fence and watched a lot of footage of that game (I never really do that) and I can't believe how bad the whole thing felt, almost insulting to compare it to old entries

TheKratos

The prologue and training was luckily short enough for me not to be bothered with it. The prologue basically is Aladin with a dark twist (and no love story). A small time thief who becomes a big character. It did set a tone for the game though so it was alright IMO.

Overall I think the game is a solid 7/8. Definitely worth it if you are an AC fan.

john2gr

I really enjoyed it (finished it in around 16 hours) but the parkour is really janky. Animations, facial expressions and character models also feel dated. The game could definitely benefit from a higher budget, so I hope that we'll get another similar AC game with a proper triple-A budget.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I fell asleep holding the controller. Wish I could get my $50 refunded.

I just played the intro and it was extremely boring. Game looks and feels stiff and dated. Constant switches from 120FPS 4k ultra gameplay to pre-recorded cinematics at 30FPS hurt the presentation. Well, now I'm in the open world, hopefully it will get better.

xrnzaaas

I've bought it on sale and played it quite a bit. Baghdad setting is more than enough to get this game - it's just goddamn beautiful and I want to keep taking captures. I am having an issue with the up-down parkour system. Sometimes it doesn't work like it should and Basim glitches or struggles to drop down. Or things like entering the building through a window can be a pain in the pass.

I also recommend the Arabian dubbing - it makes the game much more atmospheric.

Last edited:
This game is weird. Everything about it should just hit all the nostalgia muscles: the Leventine theme, the middle east setting, classic 1-hot assassinations...Basim, who should've been Altäir 2.0 carries none of his counterparts charm, personality and characteristics from his Valhalla counterpart.

Instead I feel like I'm playing a parody of AC1. The story isn't flushed out, the controls are the absolute worst playing in all of the series. Baghdad should've been more iconic. It feels like a remake of a theoretical PS3 game with "modern" graphics. It is by far the most inspiring out of all the series, feels like a another design committee trying to appeal to the "true" fans but without understanding why.

Stafford

Why is this game so clean when it comes to blood? You see some blood splatters on the ground and they are gone the next second. Maybe I'm misremembering but didn't these games used to be significantly more bloody?

Zimmy68

I played it and beat it twice, the second was Permadeath mode.
I think the game is great, but doesn't have any real replay value.
Worth the $30 or less.
You become OP around 2/3 in and the enemies are a joke but that is part of the fun of AC games.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It was a free trial, they advertised it and it's was for the weekend and half the week.

It is a 2 hour demo, and I wasn't impressed. It does give you enough time to set the plot and have your actions have major repercussions, but I did not think it was that good.

Top Bottom