• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Red is "the biggest blockbuster for 2024", says Ubisoft

Fbh

I mean it could at least be one of the biggest.
Whatever we think about the quality of the games they still sell well and this one has the Japan setting everyone has been wanting for a long time. Assassins Creed is one of the few franchises (alongside others like God of War) that can get my Fifa/COD only playing friends to pick up a single player game for a change.

At this point, AC should just drop the Assassins Creed branding. It would automatically make it way more appealing.

They'll never do it because the name is too popular and well known.
But I agree, last one I played was Odyssey and to me it felt like the whole "Assassins Creed" part of the game was the weakest part. It could have just been a cool historical open world RPG but instead you need a lot of obligatory AC stuff like stealth, climbing, some sort of templar related shadow organization, boring modern era segments, aliens and sci fi tech, etc.

Black Flag was the same, as much as I liked the game I always thought it could have been even better if it was just allowed to be a full Pirate game instead of a Pirate themed Assassins Creed

Verchod

Disappointing that this is their biggest game next year. Do they really have nothing else to offer apart from this?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Dude ac Valhalla started development way before gow released sure ubisoft chased it

It started development in 2017. God of War released in 2018. First shown in 2016.

Feudal Japan as a setting was avoided even though a lot of people wanted it, and Ubisoft even cited reasons as “boring, repetitive” saying AC could go to more interesting locations and periods in history.

As soon as PlayStation gets a hit game set in feudal Japan, Ubisoft goes after. God of War gets hype? Make Viking AC.

So many time periods and locations… It is what it is.

Last edited:

EDMIX

It started development in 2017. God of War released in 2018. First shown in 2016.

Feudal Japan as a setting was avoided even though a lot of people wanted it, and Ubisoft even cited reasons as “boring, repetitive” saying AC could go to more interesting locations and periods in history.

As soon as PlayStation gets a hit game set in feudal Japan, Ubisoft goes after. God of War gets hype? Make Viking AC.

So many time periods and locations… It is what it is.

I love Sony's concepts and love how they allow their teams to freely create, but holy shit man, they don't fucking own a whole ass country.

Next thing you know you are going to tell me that Ubisoft copied a game because it too is also on Earth, like what the fuck?

lol Stop man, they already had plans for several titles that generation for Egypt, Greece, Norway, France etc. So even if they knew they would make an AC in Japan in the future that they were working on, why the fuck would they tell people so long in advance? Sooooo chances are they would just wait until it was in the pipeline to reveal.

So...Sony doesn't own Japan, they don't own Norway lol Fucking stop man

Those games are so different from each other, I'm not sure how anyone can claim in such a short time ,they copied something, from a fucking trailer lol The concepts and ideas in God Of War 2018 are literally from existing references, that like fucking saying the Uzi or AR15 in Call Of Duty is trying to copy Battlefield, it tries to exaggerate the use of iconography in a title as being specific to 1 IP, completely ignore the concept is NOT OWNED BY THAT COMPANY, they did not fucking INVENT Japan or Norway or Samurai or Vikings or any of that shit, God Of War 2018 funny enough, is barely about Vikings and more about other concepts of Norse mythology.

It would be like saying, using your own damn logic mind you, that Sony copied Sega and Capcom, I mean was Onimusha not in Japan with Samurai? Was Yakuza Kenzan and Ishin NOT in Japan with Samurai and released eons before Ghost Of Tsushima?

You might as well say anyone is copying cause they are also set on Earth with humans or some shit with this weird logic, dear god you are not even using a genre based argument to even make a real solid claim of anyone copying, merely

"derrrr day in da same location"

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s just facts you want to turn a blind eye then do it. They went from Watch Dogs being clearly ripping off Person of Interest - a show that debuted in 2011, the game was announced in 2012 - to Watch Dogs 2 being all of a sudden satirical and humorous… because they thought that’s what was missing in the GTA like game they wanted.

As I’ve said, director at Ubisoft actually declared Japan to be uninteresting. Yet after Ghost of Tsushima’s success here they go. And it’s just another coincidence that they picked norse mythology and Vikings after God of War got so much hype.

Ubisoft has been creatively bankrupt for a good minute, but you want to carry water for them so be it. Your job. Your comparisons are stupid because Sony didn’t make Ghost of Tsushima because Onimusha was a hit in the Ps2 days and disappeared of the face of the earth in the ps2 days, and Yakuza was NOT a hit game and the closest one launched in 2014. Context is everything but you keep missing it it’s on you.

Last edited:
the truth? i love everything samurai, & could barely make it to the end of tsushima. i enjoyed mirage, but i'll be holding off here...

EDMIX

It’s just facts you want to turn a blind eye then do it.

What facts? You've yet to prove any company copied any other company in regards to anything they've invented...sooooo you are just running on a theory you have, with zero evidence that anyone selected that location based on any other publisher.

The rest of your post is just triggered lol
They went from Watch Dogs being clearly ripping off Person of Interest - a show that debuted in 2011

https://gamingbolt.com/watch_dogs-development-began-in-2009

I mean, dear god, you had 1 job and you could have easily just looked it up. The concept of hacking or government surveillance was not invented by Ubisoft, but they never make any claim to cry about this shit to the point of trying to bring up ANOTHER MEDIUM lol

I got to ignore you going forward man.

These are fucking general ideas, in settings based on existing references. Nothing here is any "copy" or "rip off" or anything even remotely like that.

Be like "Call Of Duty, clearly a rip off of Black Hawk down, a movie dat debuted in da 2001!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" lol

Be like "Need For Speed, clearly a rip off of Fast and the furious, a movie dat debuted in da 2001!!!!!" lol

Be like "Madden 2000, clearly a rip off of Remember the TItans......a movie dat debuted in 2000"

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Oh yeah, sure, Ubisoft which cranks out games like hot dogs, and released Watch Dogs 2 two years after the original, locked in on their concept for a unique take on open world in 2009!!! But only came out in 2014!!

It’s just massive coincidences with Ubisoft lmao

Also when I say “rip off” obviously I’m not saying Kratos is in Valhala, but they make decisions based on what’s hot. Believe that. They decided on those settings for a reason.

Last edited:
I tried twice and couldn’t get past 15 hours into Ghost of Tsushima. It was a chore to play IMO. But how do you know AC Red won’t be done better?
my main concern is it won't be done shorter. afa 'better', no idea, it very well may be. but, after being okay with origins, both odyssey & valhalla just eventually ended up boring/exhausting me. not crazy about open-world ac, which, imo, is simply 'more is better' taken to extremes. never mind the fact that the gameplay's much, much more about being a warrior than an assassin...

ProtoByte

AC could be so interesting if they were actually dedicated to making well written historical fiction, but I think they're teams are just too big to have a concept marinate the way it should.

Pelao

I'm sure the game will be a very pretty Sengoku period Japan sandbox, but I can't imagine a more miserable experience than playing a samurai or ninja game with Assassin's Creed gameplay, especially the RPG ones, and I say this as someone who has played all these stupid games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It’s hard for me to care because even with Japanese setting it’s still going to play like any other Assassin’s Creed game which I have zero interest in.

FROM will give me Sekiro 2……eventually.

Last edited:

EDMIX

But how do you know AC Red won’t be done better?
my main concern is it won't be done shorter. afa 'better', no idea, it very well may be. but, after being okay with origins, both odyssey & valhalla just eventually ended up boring/exhausting me. n
It’s hard for me to care because even with Japanese setting it’s still going to play like any other Assassin’s Creed game which I have zero interest in.

Could be better, could do many things different, this also includes Ninjas.

So I don't know what its going to play like and would be narrowminded to just assume it will be like other AC titles, as shit wasn't the argument against Origins and Odyssey that it didn't play like the last ones? So....Samurai are completely and like we saw from the 3 AC RPG titles they put out, the 3 games still had differences based on the era, setting, theme of the game etc, I don't see enough here to argue it would play like the other games

The other games before better or worse generally don't play like the pervious.... from what I played from all 3 last gen, they have many differences and it hard to believe nothing involving Samurai and Ninjas would influence a change in how the game played lol

I'll reserve any final judgement when we actually see more.

Danjin44

Could be better, could do many things different, this also includes Ninjas.

So I don't know what its going to play like and would be narrowminded to just assume it will be like other AC titles, as shit wasn't the argument against Origins and Odyssey that it didn't play like the last ones? So....Samurai are completely and like we saw from the 3 AC RPG titles they put out, the 3 games still had differences based on the era, setting, theme of the game etc, I don't see enough here to argue it would play like the other games

The other games before better or worse generally don't play like the pervious.... from what I played from all 3 last gen, they have many differences and it hard to believe nothing involving Samurai and Ninjas would influence a change in how the game played lol

I'll reserve any final judgement when we actually see more.
Look I get that there are people who are fan of how Ubisoft makes games and they design their world but I’m just not one of them, other than Mario + Rabbits games, I don’t liked ANY of their games they made, that just how I feel. This why I’m not excited for their Avatar game and I’m not excited for Assassin’s Creed in Japan either.

Approve Oliver Platt GIF by The Bear

EDMIX

Look I get that there are people who are fan of how Ubisoft makes games and they design their world but I’m just not one of them, other than Mario + Rabbits games, I don’t liked ANY of their games they made, that just how I feel. This why I’m not excited for their Avatar game and I’m not excited for Assassin’s Creed in Japan either.

I'm not buying that Avatar game cause I don't care for the IP lol

In terms of the AC stuff, they differ enough that I have to see it to see how I feel about before casting any judgement.

I can't predict the future and love Japan enough that I want to see what they do with it before saying no.

If they are able to offer something different then Sekrio or Ghost, its a buy.

So I'll likely buy it if its differs enough, but same with Ronin, Yakuza Ishin 2, Persona 0: Edo Seppuku, Ghost Of Tsushima 2 aka Ghost Of Osaka (I said too much...)

Last edited:

Danjin44

I can't predict the future and love Japan enough that I want to see what they do with it before saying no.
It’s easy for me, I didn’t liked majority of Ubisoft games and there is good chance I won’t like this one either, I don’t need waste my money on it.

If you are in to Ubisoft games then sure this game might be for you but I know my taste this definitely not gonna be for me.

rolandss

Another Ubisoft cookie cutter AC game, so doubtful. I want to like these games, I was once a fan, but now they’re hard to like. The worlds are nice to explore (especially Origins) but the gameplay loop and mechanics are tiresome and bland and they’ve gone too heavy of the rpg mechanics and levelled enemies.

EDMIX

If you are in to Ubisoft games

I'm into games I think look fun.

I determine what I play based on that.

I've actually NEVER based on what I play on the name of a publisher or team or anything odd like that.

A no from me, is based on what I see and can gather from what the game is like. So...I don't think I have any massive absolute yes or no on anything to be honest.

Art is dynamic, there is no guarantee for anything, so I play on if it looks fun and if the features are something I want to play.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I've actually NEVER based on what I play on the name of a publisher or team or anything odd like that.
I wouldn't I? I play games from Vanillaware, FROM and Monolith Soft because they make the games I enjoy and they rarely disappoint me. Meanwhile I played games from Ubisoft and I don’t liked most of the games they made.

It’s called trust. Devs like Vanillawar, FROM and Monolith Soft earned my trust, Ubisoft didn’t….its that simple.

EDMIX

I wouldn't I? I play games from Vanillaware, FROM and Monolith Soft because they make the games I enjoy

Ok, you are free to do that though, I simply feel that enjoyment from any game can literally come from any team or publisher...

I don't just limit it to a publisher here or a team there.

So my focus of enjoyment is the actual core game itself, regardless of who actually makes it. Those teams make games I love, that doesn't mean by default I'm buying any and everything they make or enjoying everything they make or anything odd like that.
Meanwhile I played games from Ubisoft and I don’t liked most of the games they made

And?

I'm sorry man, but just can't have a narrowminded view like this, I'm open to buying a game from any team or publisher if it actually looks fun, I can't solely just based everything on a preconceived notion or a past title, some of my favoirte teams and publishers have a list of bad games lol

It’s called trust.

I trust the concept of fun...

If a game looks fun, I buy, I play. Soooo I just can't fanboy myself into solely buying games by set publishers lol Even my fucking favorite, if the game is bad, has issues, doesn't look fun, its getting a skip.

If the game looks fun, it gets the buy.

Nothing regarding who I like or don't like cause Insomniac made Fuse lol So sure, trust is part of it, but I trust the idea and pure concept of what is fun above all else.

So if this team manages to pull it off and it looks really fun, I'll buy based on that.

So I simply put the concept of fun above all else Above teams, above publishers, above companies etc.

I simply don't do the whole blind trust thing lol A good game can come from anywhere and anyone.

Majormaxxx Majormaxxx lol sorta what I mean. I feel any team can have series of good games, series of mixed or bad etc. I just can't buy based on this idea and just go with what looks fun. I don't think I have one team or publisher I like where 100% of everything they made, I like.

Thus, I keep an open mind and only go with the trust of enjoyment of the medium.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
As spotted by Twitter user Access The Animus, a LinkedIn post by Arisa Lagunzad, who's involved in business development and brand at Ubisoft, suggests that Assassin's Creed Codename Red could arrive as early as next year. In the post, which sought sponsorship partners for the upcoming game, Lagunzad describes it as "the biggest blockbuster for 2024".

Assassin's Creed Codename Red is being developed by Ubisoft Quebec, the team behind Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Details on the game are thin on the ground at the moment, but according to Ubisoft's Marc-Alexis Cote, it's "the future of our open-world RPG games on Assassin's Creed".

For me...

Assassin's creed = Time to sleep

Danjin44

Ok, you are free to do that though, I simply feel that enjoyment from any game can literally come from any team or publisher...

I don't just limit it to a publisher here or a team there.

So my focus of enjoyment is the actual core game itself, regardless of who actually makes it. Those teams make games I love, that doesn't mean by default I'm buying any and everything they make or enjoying everything they make or anything odd like that.

And?

I'm sorry man, but just can't have a narrowminded view like this, I'm open to buying a game from any team or publisher if it actually looks fun, I can't solely just based everything on a preconceived notion or a past title, some of my favoirte teams and publishers have a list of bad games lol

I trust the concept of fun...

If a game looks fun, I buy, I play. Soooo I just can't fanboy myself into solely buying games by set publishers lol Even my fucking favorite, if the game is bad, has issues, doesn't look fun, its getting a skip.

If the game looks fun, it gets the buy.

Nothing regarding who I like or don't like cause Insomniac made Fuse lol So sure, trust is part of it, but I trust the idea and pure concept of what is fun above all else.

So if this team manages to pull it off and it looks really fun, I'll buy based on that.

So I simply put the concept of fun above all else Above teams, above publishers, above companies etc.

I simply don't do the whole blind trust thing lol A good game can come from anywhere and anyone.

Majormaxxx Majormaxxx lol sorta what I mean. I feel any team can have series of good games, series of mixed or bad etc. I just can't buy based on this idea and just go with what looks fun. I don't think I have one team or publisher I like where 100% of everything they made, I like.

Thus, I keep an open mind and only go with the trust of enjoyment of the medium.
You are free to call it “narrow minded” but it’s one of my reason why I’m happy with the most of the games I buy.

And so far Ubisoft barely made any game that looks remotely fun to me.

EDMIX

You are free to call it “narrow minded” but it’s one of my reason why I’m happy with the most of the games I buy.

And so far Ubisoft barely made any game that looks remotely fun to me.

I mean, you wouldn't know if you didn't play em.

Soooooo I play titles that look interesting, even if the past titles were not fun to me.

I can't condemn any publisher or team or anything like that based on something in the past.

Sorry man, Im open to playing games if they appear to be fun.

Regardless of publisher or team.

I'm a gamer first and foremost.

I'm open to all experiences in gaming and don't really close the door to anyone based on something in the past.

Things change all the time and I only trust what I play and feel.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I mean, you wouldn't know if you didn't play em.

Soooooo I play titles that look interesting, even if the past titles were not fun to me.

I can't condemn any publisher or team or anything like that based on something in the past.

Sorry man, Im open to playing games if they appear to be fun.

Regardless of publisher or team.

I'm a gamer first and foremost.

I'm open to all experiences in gaming and don't really close the door to anyone based on something in the past.

Things change all the time and I only trust what I play and feel.
Good for you, enjoy what you want to enjoy and I’m gonna what I want to enjoy.

Valhalla was such a massive seller because it tapped into something - Saxon England/Vikings/Danelaw was becoming of great interest to many people because of series like Vikings, Last Kingdom etc etc

I think Mirage bombed because all they had were people claiming the arabic spoken in Baghdad was ‘authentic’.

Not sure how they make feudal Japan interesting to the masses. I would prefer to see them going to ancient Rome in Italy - or maybe Tudor England or something like that - far more potential … and scrap all that animus rubbish - nobody wants it. The platforming bits in Valhalla were absurdly shit.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I enjoyed AC2. I started with AC1 - even back then (played it 2011) it felt repetitive. Then AC:B was the last one for me until AC:Origins - which I thoroughly enjoyed on my brand new ps4 pro.
I feel the whole series is always felt very repetitive, but generally feel that about most games. (Tetris, Lumines, Tekken, Yakuza etc)

I also really enjoyed Assassin's Creed Origins granted I ended up buying it years after and my only regret was even fucking listening to people and skipping the game for so many years it ended up becoming one of my favorite In the series and such a great amazing story about parents looking for revenge.

Since then I'm a bit more open to playing games even if I disliked some of past entries from teams.

I would have missed such a great experience. So as I've gotten older I've just decided to just play what looks interesting regardless of publisher or developer or past experience.

With even includes my archnemesis Cyber Punk 2077 lol

If they end up making a solid sequel and it looks fun I am even willing to purchase that.
So I generally just want to see what that experience is and judge it based on that instead of any assumption or preconceived idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom