• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro's Playroom is a love letter to PlayStation fans

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Let me start by saying that I'm a huge Astro Bot fan, and last gens VR title was one of my best and favourite experiences ever as a gamer.

However, I wasn't really that hyped for Astro's Playroom, probably because I was expecting something in the lines of the tech demo they did for the PS VR, but solely focused on the dualsense.

Man, was I wrong. As a long time Playstation fan, being through all console interactions since PS1, this has to be one of the greatest, if not the greatest homage in the form of a videogame someone could have done to the brand and it's importance in the gaming industry.

The main focus is of course the dualsense, but they also created a game very fun to play and explore. Not only that but you can clearly see that every little detail from the Playstation universe that got into the game was crafted in such a beautiful way - the easter eggs you find along the way, the scenery of every level, the artifacts - everything is amazingly well done.

This game is like time traveling to all those moments we spent with Sony consoles along the way and remembering how much fun we had with them. It's so freaking good.

It completely proves that Astro Bot is without a doubt an absolute stellar platform videogame - be it in VR or non-VR.

Really hope Team Asobi gets a chance to go even further and establish Astro Bot as the true exclusive Playstation platformer. It deserves it.

hero ps vr GIF by PlayStationDE

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Loved it too mate, have you done everything yet?

There was only one reference I didnt get and couldn't find anyone else talking about, in the cooling springs level in the first area there were recycling symbols on many things, like shells and the like, but I don't know if thats just a general sort of reference to recycleable materials or what.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Loved it too mate, have you done everything yet?

There was only one reference I didnt get and couldn't find anyone else talking about, in the cooling springs level in the first area there were recycling symbols on many things, like shells and the like, but I don't know if thats just a general sort of reference to recycleable materials or what.

Yap, finish all trophies including the time challenge one.

Dude, I went on to youtube checking the world records and the mountain climbing one is freaking insane!

Kuranghi

Yap, finish all trophies including the time challenge one.

Dude, I went on to youtube checking the world records and the mountain climbing one is freaking insane!

The final content was excellent imo, so out of nowhere, I really enjoyed it.

I guess we'll have to wait until PS10 for the next installment, doh!

Nankatsu

Gold Member
The final content was excellent imo, so out of nowhere, I really enjoyed it.

I guess we'll have to wait until PS10 for the next installment, doh!

That Playstation tech demo at the end, with Ken Kutaragi's name on the memory card it. Man, really beautiful to see.

Hope not. Same way freaking Sackboy got a change at a full platformer title, Astro Bot deserves one to.

Last edited:

Neff

I'm a cynical bastard these days, and to be honest the PSone is the only PlayStation I wholeheartedly love, so I tried to resist, but it got me nonetheless.

During that last bit I was saying to myself 'please be the tech demo T-rex, please be the tech demo T-rex', and then it came lumbering out of the dark towards me... it was fucking great man.

Also it's a damn good game in its own right. Not quite as spectacular as Rescue Mission of course, but still amazing for a freebie.

Let me start by saying that I'm a huge Astro Bot fan, and last gens VR title was one of my best and favourite experiences ever as a gamer.

However, I wasn't really that hyped for Astro's Playroom, probably because I was expecting something in the lines of the tech demo they did for the PS VR, but solely focused on the dualsense.

Man, was I wrong. As a long time Playstation fan, being through all console interactions since PS1, this has to be one of the greatest, if not the greatest homage in the form of a videogame someone could have done to the brand and it's importance in the gaming industry.

The main focus is of course the dualsense, but they also created a game very fun to play and explore. Not only that but you can clearly see that every little detail from the Playstation universe that got into the game was crafted in such a beautiful way - the easter eggs you find along the way, the scenery of every level, the artifacts - everything is amazingly well done.

This game is like time traveling to all those moments we spent with Sony consoles along the way and remembering how much fun we had with them. It's so freaking good.

It completely proves that Astro Bot is without a doubt an absolute stellar platform videogame - be it in VR or non-VR.

Really hope Team Asobi gets a chance to go even further and establish Astro Bot as the true exclusive Playstation platformer. It deserves it.

Its not gonna fly OP. Astro bot is just a tech demo, it looks like one and it plays like one. I swear, people hyping this demo look like they've never played a platformer. I bet they haven't played a single nintendo platformer in their life.

But anyway, even if the developers wanted to make a full game, the art design is so simple, just look at.tje soulless main character, it just can't be marketed.

It's not Astrobot good, but it's still a great experience. I hope we get a full-sized game like this as well as an Astrobot 2 for PSVR 2.

Zones

Its not gonna fly OP. Astro bot is just a tech demo, it looks like one and it plays like one. I swear, people hyping this demo look like they've never played a platformer. I bet they haven't played a single nintendo platformer in their life.

But anyway, even if the developers wanted to make a full game, the art design is so simple, just look at.tje soulless main character, it just can't be marketed.

Entroyp

Astro’s playroom is amazing. From gameplay to the catchy tunes to the homage to playstation history. I loved every second of it.

And I’m not bitter because of Jim Ryan. He’s doing fine. I’m ok with PS games eventually releasing on PC and I know that baseball game on gamepass is a publisher’s decision, not the developers’ 🤷🏻‍♂️

Entroyp

Yo’. I’ve been a Nintendo player almost all my life and owned every Nintendo console. I love their games, I love Mario.

And guess what? Rescue Mision and Playroom put a smile on my face and made me feel a joy that Nintendo’s platformers haven’t been able to do in a very long time.

Last edited:
How much did it sell?
Yo’. I’ve been a Nintendo player almost all my life and owned every Nintendo console. I love their games, I love Mario.

And guess what? Rescue Mision and Playroom put a smile on my face and made me feel a joy that Nintendo’s platformers haven been able to do in a very long time.
Sure.

Nankatsu

Gold Member

Well, you're wrong. Played a bunch of Nintendo platformers. Just because Nintendo is the best at doing platformers doesn't mean others cant start enter its territory.

And Astro bot can easily enter non-VR or VR territory.

By the way... the marketing question is just...nonsense on your part. Going by your logic imagine if a certain plumber videogame was released for the first time in these days. Sure very marketable too.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

And guess what? Rescue Mision and Playroom put a smile on my face and made me feel a joy that Nintendo’s platformers haven been able to do in a very long time.

That's a blasphemy around here, be careful. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: You're not supposed to love PS games, it's always cool to shit on anything Sony-related.

sublimit

Banned
I haven't played it yet but from what i've seen and heard the game is full of charm and ideas that usually you only see from Nintendo's first party games. I think this has the potential to become Sony's most beloved mascot.

turtlepowa

Banned
Astro Bot Rescue was my GOTG. Loved everything about it, clever ideas, great boss fights and nice secrets. But Playroom didn't impress me much, it was more a controller demo.

Three

Didn't we get a thread like this near release with a very similar title?

On topic I loved the game.

Bartski

Gold Member
It's insanely great, calling it a "tech demo" is both stupid and unfair. It has got the best, most diverse implementation of haptic feedback on PS5 but it's so much more.
No idea how it compares to other PEGI7 3D platformers as that's totally not my cup of tea, it's an absolute joy to play but to me, first and foremost, it's an amazing homage to 4 generations of Playstation.
That's kind of the paradox here, it's a kids game where you have to be old enough and have been with this brand since PSX to fully appreciate it.

Definitely my most wanted ps5 game right now

ripeavocado

Banned

Really?

I didn't notice that it was a love letter for Playstation Fans after collecting dozens of collectibles based on the history of Playstation.

Thank you for pointing this out, great research work!

Kev Kev

I love when people use the term love letter. Like, trust me, these games companies do not give even 1 fuck about you. they aren’t writing you a love letter, they are making the game that will sell the most units, while adding a few things in that makes your gullible ass think they are making it just for you and writing you a love letter.

Not to mention it’s just a weird af and creepy way to describe the manner in which a big ass money driven company is creating their games/movies/whatever.

clint eastwood coffee GIF

however astrobot rescue mission is a 10/10. One of the best video game experiences of my life. So I’m glad playroom is shaping up to be great as well 👍

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Didn't we get a thread like this near release with a very similar title?

On topic I loved the game.

I honestly did search the forum before posting and couldn't find anything similar. Only an impressions topic.

Really?

I didn't notice that it was a love letter for Playstation Fans after collecting dozens of collectibles based on the history of Playstation.

Thank you for pointing this out, great research work!

No problem, sorry for the inconvience that sharing my opinion caused you, inspector Gadget.

I love when people use the term love letter. Like, trust me, these games companies do not give even 1 fuck about you. they aren’t writing you a love letter, they are making the game that will sell the most units, while adding a few things in that makes your gullible ass think they are making it just for you and writing you a love letter.

Not to mention it’s just a weird af and creepy way to describe the manner in which a big ass money driven company is creating their games/movies/whatever.

clint eastwood coffee GIF

however astrobot rescue mission is a 10/10. One of the best video game experiences of my life. So I’m glad playroom is shaping up to be great as well 👍

It's called an expression dude... But I personally believe that in Astro's Playroom case is not your average "let's make this game, sell as much as possible and wrap it up". Like I said, from a sales point this was marketed more as a tech demo but it actually isn't. It's way more than that. You can clearly see the dedication it went on that team, with every little detail, to output a game like this.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Definitely my most wanted ps5 game right now

Astro Bot is for free with other games, not sure if they're still up but go snatch them right now. And of course, Astro's Playroom is already a free, pre-installed game.

If you guys loved Astro's Playroom, you should really buy Sackboy: A Big Adventure! What a wonderful game that to me it even surpasses the 1st LittleBigPlanet in great music and creative levels and dense content by a gigantic measure. Only downside is that it has no level creation or community like LBP, and and should! It's funny how great Sumo did here vs Crackdown 3, it shows that you shouldn't always blame the studio.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I liked the controller stuff at the very start, that’s about it. Pack in ass pack in.

Astro Bot is for free with other games, not sure if they're still up but go snatch them right now. And of course, Astro's Playroom is already a free, pre-installed game.

If you guys loved Astro's Playroom, you should really buy Sackboy: A Big Adventure! What a wonderful game that to me it even surpasses the 1st LittleBigPlanet in great music and creative levels and dense content by a gigantic measure. Only downside is that it has no level creation or community like LBP, and and should! It's funny how great Sumo did here vs Crackdown 3, it shows that you shouldn't always blame the studio.
Ok this is new to me, so it's even a greater thing! Didn't know it was preinstalled, I don't have a ps5 yet but i'm planning to get one asap

The game is pure joy to play. I was really surprised by this. They better be making a full size follow up to this one!

Also I really like how much love it throws on the PS brand. Seeing all those old games and gear is a nice rush of nostalgia. Definitely as a fan of PlayStation it is a special thing.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ok this is new to me, so it's even a greater thing! Didn't know it was preinstalled, I don't have a ps5 yet but i'm planning to get one asap

Yes, it's a free game. Also try to check if you can make a PS account online and snatch these games:

Also, if you ever played and loved LittleBigPlanet or love creative platformers, you should really get Sackboy as I'm having a blast with this game that has so much content!

Aenima

Yup its a fantastic 4-5 hour game. I also tought it would be just a short techdemo, and it was much more than that.
I usually dont even enjoy platform games that much, but Team Asobi creativity made my experience a blast. Really hope to see a big Astro game coming to PS5 without need for a VR.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Yes, it's a free game. Also try to check if you can make a PS account online and snatch these games:

Also, if you ever played and loved LittleBigPlanet or love creative platformers, you should really get Sackboy as I'm having a blast with this game that has so much content!

I wanted this with Astrobot instead of Sackboy tbh.

But I've heard good things of it. May grab it sometime down the road.

Top Bottom