• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro's Playroom is a love letter to PlayStation fans

Matt_Fox

Loved Astro's Playroom! The game was like the Disneyland ride "It's A Small World". The soundtrack was as if someone booked Daft Punk to DJ a children's party. And of course the Mario 64 style gameplay was made all the more fun and tactile by the Dualsense.

You'd have to be pretty cynical (or not actually have played it) to diss this delightful little game. And come on - it's completely free too.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
wii GIF

We’ve seen free AAA games happen before...

Willing to play it, don’t love platforming but willing to play.

Jaysen

Banned
I loved the nostalgia, but as platformers go it was shallow shit. Hopefully the full game they’re working on will add much needed depth. Also wasnt a fan of my right trigger mechanism breaking just from playing this.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Interesting.. since I got a new tv, I started Astro again and I've noticed that the whole game screen vibrates very slightly. Is it some sort of anti aliasing? Can someone check?
Stand in place on any level and look closely... the game vibrates

Esppiral

Interesting.. since I got a new tv, I started Astro again and I've noticed that the whole game screen vibrates very slightly. Is it some sort of anti aliasing? Can someone check?
Stand in place on any level and look closely... the game vibrates
I platinumed the game and didn't notice that behaviour, check your config.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I platinumed the game and didn't notice that behaviour, check your config.
I did. Everything is good.
Can you check the game? Look very closely for it. It's kind hard to notice at first.
I never noticed this on 27" 4k ips monitor. But now that I play with 48" oled in my face, it's quite easy to notice

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I did. Everything is good.
Can you check the game? Look very closely for it. It's kind hard to notice at first.
I never noticed this on 27" 4k ips monitor. But now that I play with 48" oled in my face, it's quite easy to notice

Not sure what's happening with you but in worst case scenario maybe the TV processor can't keep up with the DRS (dynamic resolution scaling) or something going on with its upscaling. So maybe you need to reach some crowed with the same set maybe you forgot something on that is making these funny shakes.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not sure what's happening with you but in worst case scenario maybe the TV processor can't keep up with the DRS (dynamic resolution scaling) or something going on with its upscaling. So maybe you need to reach some crowed with the same set maybe you forgot something on that is making these funny shakes.
It's vibrating all the time on any level. But it's like 1 pixel movement, hard to notice.
I remember ancient times when sony used this as anti aliasing on PSP lol
Maybe it's easier to see on oled due to no ghosting of lcd?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's vibrating all the time on any level. But it's like 1 pixel movement, hard to notice.
I remember ancient times when sony used this as anti aliasing on PSP lol
Maybe it's easier to see on oled due to no ghosting of lcd?

Not sure, really. First time I hear about it. I think plenty around here have OLED's and CX as well. Maybe ask here and tag the ones own it:

Topher

Gold Member
Bumping this thread rather than starting a new one. Just finished this game and got the Platinum. I loved every bit of this game. I know it was made to demonstrate the DualSense controller and it does a great job of that, but beyond that it is truly a great game in its own right. I'm really hoping we get more of this type of game from Team Adobe in the future. Hard to believe they gave this away for free.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread rather than starting a new one. Just finished this game and got the Platinum. I loved every bit of this game. I know it was made to demonstrate the DualSense controller and it does a great job of that, but beyond that it is truly a great game in its own right. I'm really hoping we get more of this type of game from Team Adobe in the future. Hard to believe they gave this away for free.
Also this game sucks the dualsense battery dry like no other game.😉😁

One of the reasons why i changed the dualsense batteries with better ones.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Its one of the best 3d platformers of all time, even gives some 3d mario games a run for their money

Rudius

This game is awesome, a perfect blend of very traditional 3D platformer with cutting edge technology that goes beyond graphics. It was the first game I played and got the platinum when I got my PS5 in the last days of 2020.

Boss Mog

Did you play AstroBot Rescue Mission? If not try to get a hold of a PSVR and play it, truly one of the best gaming experiences available today. I'm sure they'll port it to PSVR2, probably even include it as a free pack in. Personally I don't think PSVR games will be compatible with PSVR2 because the tracking is completely different and PSVR games actually require the DualShock4.

Topher

Gold Member
Did you play AstroBot Rescue Mission? If not try to get a hold of a PSVR and play it, truly one of the best gaming experiences available today. I'm sure they'll port it to PSVR2, probably even include it as a free pack in. Personally I don't think PSVR games will be compatible with PSVR2 because the tracking is completely different and PSVR games actually require the DualShock4.

No, I've never tried PSVR. I am planning on get PSVR2 so definitely going to add it to my list of games to try.

Alan Wake

Astro's Playroom is great fun. It's filled with memories for PlayStation fans, and I can enjoy that even if I bought the competitors' consoles' every generation. PS3 was my first PlayStation, and since then I'm on both team Xbox and PlayStation (well, I got myself a Switch too). I love how they implemented the different aspects of the DualSense. It made me long for another Tearaway, and I can't wait to see what Media Molecule can do with the controller.

Astro's Playroom gave me a really positive start with my PS5. Even if I enjoy my Xbox Series X a lot, somehow it's hard to imagine that kind of game launching together with a new Xbox.

The cute adorable controller battery killer game. This game caused some issues with my kids for not having the controller charged.
Were working on getting second or third controllers when other colors ever become available. None in stores around here.
I've played through most of Rift Apart with no battery issues and that game seems to use many of the same features, just not as much.

Last edited:

T-Cake

The cute adorable controller battery killer game. This game caused some issues with my kids for not having the controller charged.
Were working on getting second or third controllers when other colors ever become available. None in stores around here.
I've played through most of Rift Apart with no battery issues and that game seems to use many of the same features, just not as much.

Yeah, the DualSense ran out of power on me just as I was getting to the monkey suit levels. Throwing the controller around as you need to (to do the jumps) with a USB cable connected is not ideal. I nearly garrotted myself.

So the very next day, I went and bought the DualSense charging station. Now, whenever I stop playing, even for five minutes, it goes in there and regains some of its juice back.

Last edited:

skit_data

It’s a really great game and I really look forward to what Team Asobi makes next!

The T-Rex tech demo was the first thing I tried on my first console- demo1 on the PS1. Felt truly epic fighting him at the PS5 launch, only tjing missing was the Manta somewhere in the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom