• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASUS ROG ALLY | OT + Review Thread | Steam Deck but ROGher

TwinB242

You need to use the right-hand Armory Crate menu (right-hand custom button, below the "start" button), head for configurations and in the same menu where you set joystick deadzone etc. you can also set the VRAM allocation.

It will ask for a restart and set your available system RAM to 8GB, and VRAM to 8GB.
8GB is on the low side for system RAM, though. I wish Asus had 6GB as an option because it could suffice. Or just have the dynamic allocation to work properly, of course.

I had to update the BIOS via MyAsus to get that setting to appear. Unfortunately, it appears I now have the latest version that reduces performance by up to 20%. Hopefully ASUS fixes that issue soon.

Lone Wolf

No more complaining about the battery life
WAsg4ep.jpg
Buying this beast today!

StereoVsn

I had to update the BIOS via MyAsus to get that setting to appear. Unfortunately, it appears I now have the latest version that reduces performance by up to 20%. Hopefully ASUS fixes that issue soon.
You can downgrade. Grab previous bios and drop it into root C. Go to EZ flash in the bios and you can go back to 17 from 19 version.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I believe you can cap it in the AMD Adrenaline settings. The framerate limiter has worked for me which is nice because its actually essential especially in older games. If you're getting framerates in the upper hundreds than you're forcing the CPU/GPU to work extra hard which is actually going to drain your battery life quicker.

How is the limiter working for you? Do you have it on all the time? Can you toggle it when you're in a game or do you have to restart the game for it to kick in? I read on Reddit that the limiter needs to be activated before you launch a game but it doesn't seem to work for me. I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong.

AMD adrenaline looks nice, but it seems to be another launcher. I really like Asus own Armory Crate but if I don't get the limiter to work maybe I'll check it out down the road. Thx mate, appreciate the tip.

TwinB242

How is the limiter working for you? Do you have it on all the time? Can you toggle it when you're in a game or do you have to restart the game for it to kick in? I read on Reddit that the limiter needs to be activated before you launch a game but it doesn't seem to work for me. I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong.

AMD adrenaline looks nice, but it seems to be another launcher. I really like Asus own Armory Crate but if I don't get the limiter to work maybe I'll check it out down the road. Thx mate, appreciate the tip.

So I don't think it works properly anymore. I had to enable v-sync in the game im currently playing in order to lock the framerate, which isn't ideal as I believe now im capping the screen at 60hz.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
T TwinB242

"So I don't think it works properly anymore. I had to enable v-sync in the game im currently playing in order to lock the framerate, which isn't ideal as I believe now im capping the screen at 60hz."

Been researching a bit and this seems lika software bug that Asus needs to adress. Richard Leadbetter on DF also chimed in on it. Hoping for a fix so it does at least apply to modern games but for older titles like TF Anniversary I'm not holding my breath. It is what it is 🙃

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Shouldn’t you be comparing Windows Desktop to SteamOS desktop mode?
I realized I meant to ask about Windows Big Picture Mode, basically the game front end. Though I dunno if the Armory Crate UI is preferred over Big Picture Mode on a handheld.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I finally managed to lock the framerate to 60 fps in Tomb Raider Anniversary. I enabled v-sync and then I launched the game with FPS limiter OFF. Then in main menu I toggled the limiter to 60 and voila, it shows a locked 60. Running smooth as butter. I don't know if this works on all games but I'm gonna test out and try as much as I can. Holy shit, there is so much to learn when playing on PC. So far I've been fiddling more with settings than actually play the games. It's frustrating but at the same time I kinda like it. It feels good when you finally solve it. And it is nice with the wide array of options available. You can customize everything in a way console never does. And that's okay too.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No more complaining about the battery life
WAsg4ep.jpg

Isn't that going to be awkward playing with that duck taped to the ally? 😀
I do completely endorse the use of duck tape in any situation by the way, that duct tape is crap.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I finally managed to lock the framerate to 60 fps in Tomb Raider Anniversary. I enabled v-sync and then I launched the game with FPS limiter OFF. Then in main menu I toggled the limiter to 60 and voila, it shows a locked 60. Running smooth as butter. I don't know if this works on all games but I'm gonna test out and try as much as I can. Holy shit, there is so much to learn when playing on PC. So far I've been fiddling more with settings than actually play the games. It's frustrating but at the same time I kinda like it. It feels good when you finally solve it. And it is nice with the wide array of options available. You can customize everything in a way console never does. And that's okay too.
Playing on a regular PC is more simple, these handhelds come with a lot of quirks, but tinkering is part of the fun lol

Also that powerbank is like $200, nah dawg im good.

Last edited:

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
I buyed from Baseus a Powerbank for 40€ 65Watt 20000mah, and its work 25-40 Watt Output to Ally in Turbo Mode and 15-30 Watt Output in Performance Mode.
The Powerbank extent my Playtime in Performance Mode to 3-4 Hours that's okay.
When Asus fixed some issues and make some optimizing in future Updates im sure in Performance Mode is 4-5 Hours with 20K mah Powerbank realistic then.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Too bad we don't have 6GB RAM Option for the GPU is really a good Option between Picture Quality and Performance with FSR 2.X/RSR.
I recommend Auto in a lot of games. Saw couple YouTubers reviewing that and seems to have better performance.

Wish the device had 32GB though as that would allow for 8GB dedicated to GPU with plenty for the rest of the system.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
It's crazy how bugged out this device is. It constantly freezes. Wrong aspect ratio. Sometimes I can't reboot and need to do a hard reset. Can't open or close tabs. Controller is not working etc. This really sours the experience. When the ROG works it is fantastic but there is too much annoying bugs holding it down right now.

Kenpachii

Man, i have completely fallen in love with this thing!

I can't get over how good it is. My only flaw is the battery, my 65 watt power bank does wonders but I wish the standard battery was a little larger.

Apart from that, its running every single game im throwing at it at 60FPS. so much diablo in bed.

I found my dream Xbox portable....and Steam...and Epic..and GOG...SOny need to get on PC more ASAP and im set lol.

Could you or anybody else test they are billions out? wondering what fps u will get in that game

Minsc

Gold Member
Could you or anybody else test they are billions out? wondering what fps u will get in that game
Isn't that a RTS like Starcraft 2 or C&C? Or did they do something to make that playable with a gamepad? I guess you could just use kb+m with it, but I never really find that too practical unless docked.

Kenpachii

Isn't that a RTS like Starcraft 2 or C&C? Or did they do something to make that playable with a gamepad? I guess you could just use kb+m with it, but I never really find that too practical unless docked.
Yes its a RTS i use keyboard mouse, but deck has some slowdowns on the game, so if ally can play it flawlessly i will probably upgrade. but kinda rough buying ally and finding out that it does not, as i only play a select few games.

Also another question, what pci-e gen is that chipset? ( top one ), for SSD support, is it gen 3/4/5?
Also how is it with shader caches, is that going to be a thing with the rog like the steamdeck or u need to manually apply it?

fuck it another question heroes of the storm how does that perform, my other game i play a lot. i get like ~50 in combat on deck, i wonder how much fps it pushes in combat on the rog.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Starcraft was released on the N64 you know. We've been playing RTS via gamepad since the Clinton Administration.

Minsc

Gold Member
Starcraft was released on the N64 you know. We've been playing RTS via gamepad since the Clinton Administration.

I wish I could see a N64 player in Starcraft playing against a professional PC user. Starcraft is actually surprisingly brutal in the final levels of the PC campaign and expansion, I wonder how that transfers over to gamepad too...

Last edited:

Interfectum

They Are Billions is out on PS4 as well.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Had a miserable experience today. Nothing worked. The Ally bugged out, froze up, showed games in wrong aspect ratio and crashed all the time. All from games I launched from GoG. I don't know if it's compatibility issues or GoG client just sucking dick. I uninstalled every game I had, and rebought some of them on Steam. And they worked like a charm, no issues at all. So here on out I'm only fucking with Steam and Xbox. I also turned off Armory Crate booting up instantly when you turn on the Ally. It just kept on freezing the device and cause all sorts of skull fuckery, like sometimes it didn't detect my MicroSD card. Just an overall headache.

And as if that wasn't enough I decided to pull the trigger on Resident Evil 5, which was on sale on Steam for 5 euros, and Steam took my money but I didn't receive the game. Sent a mail to support team but they haven't answered me back yet. Fucking hell.

PC gaming so far 1/10.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Wish the device had 32GB though as that would allow for 8GB dedicated to GPU with plenty for the rest of the system.

To be frank, 6GB ought to suffice for an iGPU that is never going to run modern games over medium settings. Higher VRAM utilization (e.g. larger textures and shadowmaps) would probably require higher memory bandwidth which the Ally doesn't have in the first place.

Though ideally what we should have is AMD and Microsoft working together on windows optimizations for decent dynamic VRAM allocation instead of just throwing more hardware at the problem. It makes little sense that a 25W handheld would realistically require more RAM to play videogames than >250W consoles (that BTW need to reserve a pool of RAM to constantly save gameplay video recordings).

Had a miserable experience today. Nothing worked. The Ally bugged out, froze up, showed games in wrong aspect ratio and crashed all the time. All from games I launched from GoG. I don't know if it's compatibility issues or GoG client just sucking dick. I uninstalled every game I had, and rebought some of them on Steam. And they worked like a charm, no issues at all. So here on out I'm only fucking with Steam. I also turned off Armory Crate booting up instantly when you turn on the Ally. It just kept on freezing the device and cause all sorts of skull fuckery, like sometimes it didn't detect my MicroSD card. Just an overall headache.
Sounds like you need to do a cloud recovery, and if the problems persist you should consider asking for a replacement because it might be a hardware issue.
If all you're using is Steam and rebuying games on there then you're missing out on >50% of the Ally's advantages and might as well just use a Steam Deck.
Turning Armory Crate off is also a bad decision. What is managing your power consumption if you turn that off?

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Turning Armory Crate off is also a bad decision.

I haven't turned the application off. I just disabled the start up boot.

Sounds like you need to do a cloud recovery, and if the problems persist you should consider asking for a replacement because it might be a hardware issue.

Yeah, if it doesn't get better I might do that.
If all you're using is Steam and rebuying games on there then you're missing out on >50% of the Ally's advantages and might as well just use a Steam Deck.

I'm using Game Pass also. Plus emulation and other stuff. But using just Steam isn't that bad either. Most of the games I like is on their service. Either way, I don't want a Steam Deck. It's not compatible with all games on Steam whereas the ROG Ally is.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm using Game Pass also. Plus emulation and other stuff. But using just Steam isn't that bad either. Most of the games I like is on their service. Either way, I don't want a Steam Deck. It's not compatible with all games on Steam whereas the ROG Ally is.

Unless you're using KB+M I'd wager due the trackpads Steam Deck is probably more compatible with PC games as a whole than the Ally. Either way it's far more compatible than what Steam officially reports. And the Deck gives a more much console-like "it just works" experience for the most part too.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Unless you're using KB+M I'd wager due the trackpads Steam Deck is probably more compatible with PC games as a whole than the Ally. Either way it's far more compatible than what Steam officially reports. And the Deck gives a more much console-like "it just works" experience for the most part too.

Maybe it is. Still not interested in a Steam Deck 🤷

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Had a miserable experience today. Nothing worked. The Ally bugged out, froze up, showed games in wrong aspect ratio and crashed all the time. All from games I launched from GoG. I don't know if it's compatibility issues or GoG client just sucking dick. I uninstalled every game I had, and rebought some of them on Steam. And they worked like a charm, no issues at all.
I love GOG to death, but their client (and their platform itself) definitely needs some work. It's often ignored by devs after the initial launch of their games, so a lot of times GOG will have the game, but it'll be version 1.0 whereas the same game on Steam will have received 10+ updates that aren't available on GOG. Some developers are better than others about this, but on the whole that's been my experience. I wish GOG mandated that developers keep their games updated there if they're updated on other platforms - something with teeth, like "your game will be removed from our storefront if you fail to comply".

With GOG, you can also skip the client entirely and download the DRM free installers directly from the web. Might be worth trying out too, to potentially eliminate any issues with the Galaxy client itself.

DR3AM

I was on vacation and took the Ally with me. It was pretty cool to play GamePass games on it with Play Anywhere. Games just picked up where I left them on my XSX.

Superbean

Neo Member
Maybe it is. Still not interested in a Steam Deck 🤷
Love the deckbros lol his definition of "it just works" is hilarious. I probably spent just as much time tweaking and getting things running on the steam deck as I did actually playing and enjoying games can't say the same for my ally so far

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I love GOG to death, but their client (and their platform itself) definitely needs some work. It's often ignored by devs after the initial launch of their games, so a lot of times GOG will have the game, but it'll be version 1.0 whereas the same game on Steam will have received 10+ updates that aren't available on GOG. Some developers are better than others about this, but on the whole that's been my experience. I wish GOG mandated that developers keep their games updated there if they're updated on other platforms - something with teeth, like "your game will be removed from our storefront if you fail to comply".

With GOG, you can also skip the client entirely and download the DRM free installers directly from the web. Might be worth trying out too, to potentially eliminate any issues with the Galaxy client itself.

I love GoG too, it's such a good platform with the whole drm-free approach, but I just don't want to have that kinda headache. Thank you so much for providing that info about dev updates, I didn't know that and it explains a lot of the issues I had this morning.

Love the deckbros lol his definition of "it just works" is hilarious. I probably spent just as much time tweaking and getting things running on the steam deck as I did actually playing and enjoying games can't say the same for my ally so far

Yeah, it's like clockwork. They never fail to see an opening to promote the glorious Deck, even in a thread dedicated to ROG Ally with users that (most likely) have bought and prefer that device. It's so annoying.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm glad to see such happy allyholics here, but it's pretty common knowledge the deck is a much more console-like friendly experience than a device that juts throws Windows on a handheld.

I've been gaming on PC since the 286 days, have almost no trouble with Windows, actually find it annoying to see so many people dismiss it for shader stutter and this and that when 99.999% of my experiences are all problem free. BUT I understand that's generally not the case on the internet and stuff goes wrong often.

And it's pretty natural to bring Deck up as someone who pre-ordered an Ally and owns a Deck (and basically every gaming handheld made Gameboy on) is still curious about the device.

Ozriel

M$FT
And it's pretty natural to bring Deck up as someone who pre-ordered an Ally and owns a Deck (and basically every gaming handheld made Gameboy on) is still curious about the device.

Not really natural when the guy clearly says he's using it for GamePass as well as Steam. That's not something you'll cite the Steamdeck for.

Minsc

Gold Member
Not really natural when the guy clearly says he's using it for GamePass as well as Steam. That's not something you'll cite the Steamdeck for.

The exact point I contested is "It's not compatible with all games on Steam whereas the ROG Ally is" so not sure what your point is. And generally speaking I'd expect to find mention of PC handhelds in a thread about a PC handheld. The Steam Deck and Ally aren't mortal enemies or anything, their mutual success is in both their interests. Ally becomes more attractive the more popular the Steam Deck gets and vice-versa.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Had a miserable experience today. Nothing worked. The Ally bugged out, froze up, showed games in wrong aspect ratio and crashed all the time. All from games I launched from GoG. I don't know if it's compatibility issues or GoG client just sucking dick. I uninstalled every game I had, and rebought some of them on Steam. And they worked like a charm, no issues at all. So here on out I'm only fucking with Steam and Xbox. I also turned off Armory Crate booting up instantly when you turn on the Ally. It just kept on freezing the device and cause all sorts of skull fuckery, like sometimes it didn't detect my MicroSD card. Just an overall headache.

And as if that wasn't enough I decided to pull the trigger on Resident Evil 5, which was on sale on Steam for 5 euros, and Steam took my money but I didn't receive the game. Sent a mail to support team but they haven't answered me back yet. Fucking hell.

PC gaming so far 1/10.

This is exactly why we still need a xbox or Sony portable, just plug and play with no issues. The market exists and it's larger than those who want a handheld pc. Not to say the Ally is bad, they are ironing some stuff out but like any pc, there will be issues, unlike a dedicated single platform console.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Sorry Mr Hyde Mr Hyde , that sucks. Hope you get it sorted.

More generally, you definitely have to have the patience and willingness to tinker a bit, but when it works, it's spectacular. And, the Game Pass integration is seamless. (I would still have bought the Ally if literally all it could do is play MLB The Show via cloud). )

So, in summation, the Ally is a device of contrasts.

cHaOs667

Don’t wait buy!!!
That's it. I was unaware of the Ally and bought a Steam Deck a couple of weeks before the Ally release. Did I regret it? Hell, no! Both are great machines, I like the button layout of the Ally better than the deck, but the deck was super cheap as I upgraded the internal storage on my own.

Love it! Especially since my dbrand case and travel protection kit came in :)

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Bounced off yesterdays misery and today I've been playing Sunset Overdrive non stop. Steam and Xbox works as intended. No bugs, no glitches, no freezing. It's seamlessly integrated, you just boot the game and play. And SD looks so good on the 1080p screen. I've gotten better at choosing the right settings to preserve battery life, without too much compromises. Understanding all the settings and what they do, took a bit of research but I've nailed down some preferences, both in handheld and docked. One thing I cannot praise enough with the Ally is the speakers. They sound amazing and is a huge upgrade from Nintendo Switch.

I've also gotten more comfortable with the external dock. It also took some time figuring out what works and how to seamlessly connect it but now it works very well. Armory Crate makes it very easy to just plug in and plug off with the touch of a button. And that extra horsepower is very impressive. Can't wait to try it out with some big next gen games.

I was using a SteamDeck with Windows to play heavily modded Skyrim and PES 6 mostly.
I've also gotten more comfortable with the external dock. It also took some time figuring out what works and how to seamlessly connect it but now it works very well. Armory Crate makes it very easy to just plug in and plug off with the touch of a button. And that extra horsepower is very impressive. Can't wait to try it out with some big next gen games.

What can you share? I don't have an XG Mobile but I'm using the JSAUX dock and still figuring stuff out.

Top Bottom