• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At this point of last generation (2 years) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was out

You know if nothing else it’s fascinating that the opinions on MGSV are still so split. I personally don’t see how you need anything more than the gameplay which is an S++ masterpiece, but the sharp divide on opinions reveals an interesting fact: some people are uncultured swine.

Superb gameplay, plain boring maps with repeated bases (i get it, theyre military camps), typical kojima plot.
Instead of having real life expensive sunglasses brands, the budget could have been into having more interactive maps.

And I bought the game twice...

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
And I bought the game twice...
Yep Reaction GIF by Rosanna Pansino

MGS V really felt like a next gen experience when I played it Christmas 2015.

Overall, 2015 was a great year for gaming. Dying Light, MGS V, Rainbow 6 Siege, Batman Arkham Knight, AC Syndicate, Mad Max, The Order 1886, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 4.

2022 has been a strong second year for PS5/Series X/S, but COVID hitting launch windows really has taken the wind out of sails so to speak.
Bruh ..you forgot the two best games of 2015: Witcher 3 and Bloodborne!

Guilty_AI

You know if nothing else it’s fascinating that the opinions on MGSV are still so split. I personally don’t see how you need anything more than the gameplay which is an S++ masterpiece, but the sharp divide on opinions reveals an interesting fact: some people are uncultured swine.
Which also happened with Elden Ring funnily enough. I think both cases are just instances of a game trying a different approach to the formula from previous titles, causing some of the old fans to dislike it in the proccess.

Mikey Jr.

Ground Zero should have been the foundation for what MGSV should have been.

I truly feel like the "open world" nature of Pain really hurt the MGSV.

Also, getting rid of Hayter and replacing him with Kiefer was a fucking mistake. I'm sorry Kojima, but that was fucking dumb.

You're in the sixth fucking entry at this point, about to wrap up Big Bosses story, and you replace Hayter with Kiefer? Whats the point? And not only that, its clear the rate for Kiefer was $5000 per word, so that why we got like 3 sentences from him the whole game. I genuinely don't get the logic. The man has a raging hard-on for Hollywood.

Last edited:

Also, getting rid of Hayter and replacing him with Kiefer was a fucking mistake. I'm sorry Kojima, but that was fucking dumb.

You're in the sixth fucking entry at this point, about to wrap up Big Bosses story, and you replace Hayter with Kiefer? Whats the point? And not only that, its clear the rate for Kiefer was $5000 per word, so that why we got like 3 sentences from him the whole game. I genuinely don't get the logic. The man has a raging hard-on for Hollywood.
If only they had bases like in GZ in Phantom Pain ..like real bases not these little buildings/camps that we got. Only like 2 or 3 places felt kinda big enough to be called a "base".

Perrott

Playing it right now FOR THE FIRST TIME on PS5

I was probably in my manic Skyrim OCD phase when it came out but wow
Season 3 Slap GIF by The Simpsons
The first time is crazy. Having that absolutely insane narrative unfold around you, without you understanding any of what's going on, and then picking up the pieces afterwards and realizing what the game was really about on so many levels... just wow. MGSV as a whole was Kojima at his very best.

And then there's that sweet ass gameplay, progression systems, online functionalities, graphics, soundtrack... 10/10.

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
I wasn’t a huge fan of 5, it felt to me, at least. Konami kinda rushed Kojima-San and the game never felt “cohesive”. Technical masterpiece though.

Wish MS and/or Sony would buy the IP and let Kojima does what he does best. It’s a real travesty there is no MGS this gen (or maybe ever again)

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
The first time is crazy. Having that absolutely insane narrative unfold around you, without you understanding any of what's going on, and then picking up the pieces afterwards and realizing what the game was really about on so many levels... just wow. MGSV as a whole was Kojima at his very best.

And then there's that sweet ass gameplay, progression systems, online functionalities, graphics, soundtrack... 10/10.
I agree but for me MGS 3 Snake Eater was the epitome. Would kill for a complete remake on new gen hardware.

Apocryphon

Fantastic engine and fantastic gameplay mechanics, but the story was weak and the game lacked the atmosphere found in previous games. It was unfinished and felt it.

I love the game but I found the premise and feel in Ground Zeros to be more interesting. A remake of the first MGS in that engine would have been incredible.

I agree for the most part but the open world focus was key to many of the gameplay mechanics. MGSV has the best feeling gameplay in the series but the least inspired world and atmosphere.

I still think Shadow Moses is the best location in the mainline series. The dark, foreboding atmosphere, the sound design, the feeling of isolation and danger. Ground Zeroes didn't quite capture that feeling, but it came closer than MGSV. Returning to Shadow Moses in 4 was a nice experience but it was both far too short and too far removed from the gameplay in the original.

I would love a game that was a combination of MGS1 and 3, with many of the mechanics from V.

ClosBSAS

man i really wanna do it...i just cant with the repetitive environement. i hate desert levels and this shit is all that, but i want to get to the cutscenes and story so bad....one day ill do it.

Fbh

Most frustrating game ever.
The gameplay is so nice but I didn't like anything else about it. Broing plot with boring characters, hated the mission structure and base building.

It's a shame we never got a more traditional MGS with this gameplay

Nah. Elden Ring is graphically behind a lot of last gen games.

MGSV was amazing looking and had next gen (at the time) gameplay too.

It literally didn't have next gen gameplay since the content and gameplay was identical on Ps3 and 360

I'd also argue the graphics weren't that amazing. The character models and animations were nice but the environments are mostly boring empty desert type areas. GTAV had a way more complex and dynamic open world.

What's true though is that it did indeed looks great for a 60fps console game.

RIPN2022

It’s a fantastic game with incredible fluidity and gameplay mechanics.

A lot of the main criticism seems to come from the games plot and “incompleteness” - even though Kojima himself has come out and said that MGSV is complete with its ending. The idea that MGSV is incomplete is a myth that unfortunately still exists. In due time, however, I feel that MGSV will have its own “MGS2 moment” in which it will take years for it to be truly appreciated for the masterpiece it is and how far ahead of its time it was in terms of its story. The themes of globalization, linguistic imperialism, and the role the English language has in “Englishizing” the world and it’s culture will have larger precedence and appreciation in the future.
MGS V is not complete with its ending. The deleted episode elaborates on what happened with Eli and the other child soldiers. Kojima is full of shit with this ending complete nonsense.

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
MGS V is not complete with its ending. The deleted episode elaborates on what happened with Eli and the other child soldiers. Kojima is full of shit with this ending complete nonsense.
I don’t think it was Kojima, but rather Konami, who has since went on to make make panchinko machines.

RIPN2022

I don’t think it was Kojima, but rather Konami, who has since went on to make make panchinko machines.
Not many Kojima fans like to hear this, but he was not easy to work with as a business partner. He often demanded a large budget and did not stick to deadlines. His ambitions to be associated with Hollywood stars is totally fanboyish, and his grudge with David Hayter is a product of this.

anthony2690

Gold Member
This was on the Xbox 360 and PS3 too.

Good gameplay & 80s soundtrack.

Everything else was awful though, absolutely dull copied and pasted feeling world.
Terrible story.
The same copied and pasted outposts everywhere.
Repeated missions with conditions tacked on.
The first mission is the last mission, tutorial prompts and all.
Hell the opening mission is completely different game to the rest off the game.
Kojima was bleeding Konami dry & this is all he had to show for it, after all these years.

I'll NEVER understand how this game got a 93/95% metacritic.

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Enjoyed it despite there being those repeated missions later on (and learning of the cuts meant we got something incomplete). Beautiful visuals, audio and the game play loop very addictive. But also a game l wouldn't want to play again knowing flaws. Shame the engine won't be used in future games as was cutting edge at the time.

Last edited:

Kydd BlaZe

I need to get around to playing this. Played every Metal Gear Solid except V. Hated that it went open world, so I never gave it a shot. I just wish it would get a 4K HDR update.

i would rather play any random Ubisoft game.

sad cuz the Metal Gear Solid games are among my favorites. and the stupid demo prologue thing i had more fun playing, than the actual game. Its just dull.

RAIDEN1

Weakest entry in the franchise....give me a Metal Gear 3 level of immersion combined with the "freedom" of 5 then you are back on track...

S0ULZB0URNE

"We have yet to have a next gen experience like that (It was in fact cross gen but the graphics were amazing on PS4 and the gameplay felt next gen)"

Gears of War that gen also.

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
Not many Kojima fans like to hear this, but he was not easy to work with as a business partner. He often demanded a large budget and did not stick to deadlines. His ambitions to be associated with Hollywood stars is totally fanboyish, and his grudge with David Hayter is a product of this.
Genius’s often aren’t easy to work with.

Top Bottom