• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Athletic/sports records that will never be broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-E

Yep.

Only a very small percentage are getting to 300.

The last 300 game winners are Tom Glavine and Randy Johnson and they are not part of the current generation of pitchers. No one outside of really CC has a chance to hit 300. We wont see 300 unless CC can keep going which is unlikely given his body size. I guess I just think that using the word many in that context is just poor as it suggests that some people have a shot when in fact they don't. The small percentage you say is pretty much zero so it ain't even worth mentioning.

Ichiro passes Rose if he enters MLB at age 22.

he hit .353 in japan, they just don't get that many at-bats there.

.353 in Japan is not nearly as impressive as it sounds. Josh Whitesell, formerly of the Diamondbacks, hit that in 2009 with the Swallows, and that was just 5th best in the league.

Paches

Baseball
- DiMaggio's 56-game hit streak
- Pete Rose's career hits
- Barry Bonds 73-HR season
- Nolan Ryan's 7 no-hitters
- Cy Young's 511 career wins
- Cal Ripken Jr's ironman streak

The untouchable one's I agree with there are Cal Ripken, Cy Young, and probably Bond's records.

If Ichiro Suzuki would have started his career in the states, I firmly believe he would have a very strong run at Pete's all time hits record.

.353 in Japan is not nearly as impressive as it sounds. Josh Whitesell, formerly of the Diamondbacks, hit that in 2009 with the Swallows, and that was just 5th best in the league.

Discounting last season where Ichiro has started to see his ungodly hitting go downwards, he was hitting over .330 easily (not sure about the exact number) career in the MLB. One untouchable record I'd like to add is Ichiro's 10 consecutive seasons of 200+ hits.

The untouchable one's I agree with there are Cal Ripken, Cy Young, and probably Bond's records.

If Ichiro Suzuki would have started his career in the states, I firmly believe he would have a very strong run at Pete's all time hits record.

We can't say for sure, but he would certainly have the best shot of anybody getting that record for a long time.

Paches

We can't say for sure, but he would certainly have the best shot of anybody getting that record for a long time.

Yeah, the thing about him is he has never been hurt for an extended period of time and has been extremely consistent. Hard to say though how he would have started his career in the MLB. We will never know!

Yeah, the thing about him is he has never been hurt for an extended period of time and has been extremely consistent. Hard to say though how he would have started his career in the MLB. We will never know!

It's almost tragic, isn't it? First Ballot HOFer for sure.

Malo

Banned
The last 300 game winners are Tom Glavine and Randy Johnson and they are not part of the current generation of pitchers. No one outside of really CC has a chance to hit 300. We wont see 300 unless CC can keep going which is unlikely given his body size. I guess I just think that using the word many in that context is just poor as it suggests that some people have a shot when in fact they don't. The small percentage you say is pretty much zero so it ain't even worth mentioning.
You're right. I just went through a couple of pitcher's bref pages and it does seem impossible. I looked at Halladay and he would need to average 19 wins over the next 6 years with him being already 34 years old.

Another record I could see being nearly impossible to get is Mariano Rivera's saves record. Relief pitchers are just too inconsistent from year to year.

Parch

- Will Whites 75 Complete Games in 1879.
- Pud Galvin's 75 Games Started in 1883.
Those old-timey pitching records will never be broken simply because the game has evolved so much. Pitchers just don't do that anymore so nobody will ever have the chance to break those records. Still, those are some incredibly impressive numbers, but you have to question the level of intensity back then.

Highest Horse Jump Ever Recorded

Huaso (1933 - August 24, 1961) was the horse that, ridden by Chilean Captain Alberto Larraguibel, set the high-jump world record on February 5, 1949, by jumping 2.47 m (8 ft 1 in) in Viña del Mar, Chile, one of the longest-running unbroken sport records in history (62 years as of 2011.)

When they broke the world record Huaso was already 16 years old, quite old for a result of that magnitude. After the record, the horse was retired and never ridden again. He roamed freely until he died naturally on August 24, 1961, at the age of 29. Huaso is buried on the same Cavalry Academy where he spent his last years.

Wikipedia Link

worldrecordjump.gif

Keikaku

Sadaharu Oh's NPB homerun records, for numerous reasons
Straight up robbery for Randy Bass and Tuffy Rhodes. Records are made to be beaten, even if it's not a Japanese person who beats them.

That's like refusing to pitch to Ichiro when he took the record.

Wilt's 100 point game.

His 50pts per game average for a season.

55 rebounds in one game.

Never fouled out of a single game.

Career average of 45.8 minutes per game.

Basically, most of Wilt's career will be untouched for a long time, as he was a once a generation athlete, and highly skilled at the sport he chose.

Straight up robbery for Randy Bass and Tuffy Rhodes. Records are made to be beaten, even if it's not a Japanese person who beats them.

That's like refusing to pitch to Ichiro when he took the record.

It, in many people's eyes, tainted the record. Well, in many Tigers fans' eyes, anyway. lol

bomma_man

Test Batting averages:

1) Donald Bradman 99.94 (80 innings) 1928-48
2) Graeme Pollock 60.97 (41 innings) 1963-70

10) Jaques Kallis 57.02 (254 innings) 1995- (top current day player)

Will never, ever be broken.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
73 wins is very possible in basketball, but I doubt someone could break 6 Finals MVPs for Jordan. It's what cements him as the GOAT imo. If anyone were to break that, then they would become the new GOAT.

Bog

Junior Ace
Johnny VanderMeer's Back to Back No-Hitters.

Even Pete Rose himself said it's the one record that's never going to be broken... because to break it, you'd need to throw 3 in a row.

Amory

JasonUresti said:
Never fouled out of a single game.

Yeah but that one was like, pretty dumb. Haven't a bunch of sportscasters said that he basically stopped playing defense after getting a fifth foul just to keep the stupid streak going?

Brett Favre is the only quarterback (and player? I'm not sure) that has beaten every NFL team at least once in his career. That can't be beaten, but I doubt anyone ever ties him for a long time.

What about Peyton Manning? There can't be too many teams besides the Colts that he hasn't beaten.

EDIT Yeah I just checked, he's beaten everybody except the Colts. Depending where he goes next year he could be joining Favre on the list soon.

East Lake

Probably Kouros' 24 hour 188 mile road run, along with his 4 spartathlon records. Dude set the 6 days race record at 36 miles when he was 49 years old.

MIMIC

Banned
No posts about Roger Federer's records?? He has a lot of records that are just mind-blowing.

I can honestly see someone eclipsing all of the big ones. Sampras had slam the record for what? 3 minutes? Then along came Nadal who was supposed to surpass him.....and was abruptly stopped. Things change too quickly in tennis.

All it takes is another dominant player to enter the scene at the right time and you've got yourself a slam hoarder. Hell, the all-time slam record isn't even held by a man. I could easily see someone collecting 25 or more.

But the record that I don't see being broken is Ester Vergeer's win streak.
She is currently on a winning 444-match win streak....meaning that she hasn't lost a single match in NINE YEARS @_@ No one has even FLUKED a win against her. I doubt anyone will even get remotely close to breaking that.

HeySeuss

Johnny VanderMeer's Back to Back No-Hitters.

Even Pete Rose himself said it's the one record that's never going to be broken... because to break it, you'd need to throw 3 in a row.
Came to post this one. And Wilt averaging more minutes played than minutes in a game is untouchable.

Pretty safe to assume nobody will bat .400 again either.

Yeah but that one was like, pretty dumb. Haven't a bunch of sportscasters said that he basically stopped playing defense after getting a fifth foul just to keep the stupid streak going?

Chamberlain had a career average of under two fouls a game. It was very rare for him to even get three or four fouls in a game. Wilt played the game clean.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
No posts about Roger Federer's records?? He has a lot of records that are just mind-blowing.

I think if Nadal didn't cockblock him at Roland Garros year after year, he would be mentioned more. But even if he wins a couple more slams, his records are still within reach. IMO.

Mumei

Probably Karelin's going six years without giving up a point and thirteen years without losing a match.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Nothing is impressive against the Raptors.
And shitting on the Knicks is?
Let's not even mention that Kobe did not have to deal with defenses that were allowed to box him up with three defenders, and to hack away at him with near impunity.
Nah, I think we'd be better off not mentioning how players were intentionally fouling every chance they got in order to regain possession and feed Wilt more lay-ups. Or how Kobe Bryant played against much better athletic competition.

Oh yeah and Kobe didn't let the Raps drop 147 on him on his way to his record either.

Smellycat

I can honestly see someone eclipsing all of the big ones. Sampras had slam the record for what? 3 minutes? Then along came Nadal who was supposed to surpass him.....and was abruptly stopped. Things change too quickly in tennis.

All it takes is another dominant player to enter the scene at the right time and you've got yourself a slam hoarder. Hell, the all-time slam record isn't even held by a man. I could easily see someone collecting 25 or more.

But the record that I don't see being broken is Ester Vergeer's win streak.
She is currently on a winning 444-match win streak....meaning that she hasn't lost a single match in NINE YEARS @_@ No one has even FLUKED a win against her. I doubt anyone will even get remotely close to breaking that.

Can you see anyone equalling the 23 straight SF GS appearances? Number of consecutive weeks at number 1? Number of consecutive finals won?

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Also, no one is fucking with Michael Phelps 8 Olympic Gold.

Some of those races were totally out of his hands at times and seemingly took an act of god to get done.

Duki

Banned
Kobe's 81 > Wilts 100

god no

raptors were expressly instructed not to double team him because their coach wanted them embarrassed

coach benched jalen rose because he started double teaming him

if a coach doesnt willingly want to lose his locker room forever, kobe doesnt get there

mean while the knicks are fouling every single player whos not wilt to get the ball away from him and stop his run

Dr.Acula

Banned
Chamberlain had a career average of under two fouls a game. It was very rare for him to even get three or four fouls in a game. Wilt played the game clean.

Bill Simmons wrote about that in his book. Apparently, Wilt has never fouled out of a game, and was irrationally proud of that. The problem was, if he had five fouls in the 4th, he'd play matador defence.

But the one record that will truly never be broken is him playing every minute of every game plus overtime, netting him with one season of 48.5 mpg. There's just no way a player is left in like that.

Everything else, 50 RPG, batting .400, 200pt seasons in hockey, within the realm of dreams.

I actually think the 100pt game is in some ways the most achievable. You just have to have two mediocre teams with one guy gunning for it. I think Kobe averaging 35 pts a game was more unlikely than his 81 pt explosion. Only 5 players have hit 35ppg, but I bet any of them, if you told their team that everyone would get ten million dollars if their star got 100, could get their guy 100.

Cy Young's 511 wins. For heavens sakes, if you pitched 25 years in the majors and won 20 games every single season, you'd still be 11 wins short.

And shitting on the Knicks is?

Nah, I think we'd be better off not mentioning how players were intentionally fouling every chance they got in order to regain possession and feed Wilt more lay-ups. Or how Kobe Bryant played against much better athletic competition.

Oh yeah and Kobe didn't let the Raps drop 147 on him on his way to his record either.

Yeah, I mean, Kevin fucking Love putting up 20 and 15 really shows that great step up in athletic talent. Yep.

pappe

Cricket

Sachin Tendulkars - highest run getter - 33581 runs so far

Sachin Tendulkar - 99 International Centuries so far

and he is still going.

Football

Sir Alex Ferguson - most titles won with a single club - 37 so far

Mush

I was about to post Michael Schumacher's 7 Formula 1 World Drivers Championships, but then I remembered Sebastian Vettel exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom