• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia: UK 'Peppa Pig' episode unsuitable for saying spiders are not dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yrael

The incident itself is from 2012, but this article came out just recently:

In 2012, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) received a complaint about the episode "Mister Skinnylegs," saying that it was inappropriate because it told children that "spiders are very, very small and can't hurt you." This is not a message for Australia, home to many dangerous spiders.

Lest you think that the complaint was one person overreacting, the response published by ABC indicated that they'd already made the same determination and the episode had been made available by mistake:

The ABC considered the episode unsuitable for broadcast in Australia and it had been restricted from being aired on the ABC's television networks. However, the episode was accidentally published online due to a technical problem. The ABC apologised to the complainant and advised that the episode was no longer available online. In addition, the ABC undertook to improve internal communication about restricted episodes to ensure the error would not recur.

As hilarious as this is, and as much as it plays into the usual perception of Australia as a death trap full of things that will kill you, it also illustrates how common warnings do have to be tailored for audiences. Growing up in California, for example, the message I encountered was "All spiders except for black widows are not to be feared." This was followed by lessons in how to identify the black widow.

So, Australian readers, do not show your children "Mister Skinnylegs."

Heh.

I've been a spider defender quite regularly here, but all the same, I think the complaint is fair. The episode (from a UK program) said that spiders pose no danger at all - but that's quite clearly not true in Australia (and elsewhere, for that matter). There hasn't been a fatality from a spider bite since the 1970s here, but all the same, you don't want to be bitten by a Sydney Funnel Web! It's pretty important for children to be aware of the dangers of their local environment - and what may be true locally isn't necessarily true globally.

PS. Obligatory.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Are there no dangerous spiders in the UK? The US has black widows and brown recluses, and you have to sometimes watch for them.

Yrael

It's Peppa, not Pepper

hiding.gif

Red Back spiders are as common as anything in Australia. Theyre small and very dangerous.

Yeah, we get a lot of them in our garage. I'm always having to check the outdoor furniture for them too.

NekoFever

Are there no dangerous spiders in the UK? The US has black widows and brown recluses, and you have to sometimes watch for them.
Nothing that's going to cause serious damage unless you have a condition that mild venom could aggravate.

Cerity

How about dropbears and dingoes?

On average, 3 children a year are taken by dingoes.
not really

People that are taken by dropbears are erased from all formal records. There's a reason why central Australia is sparsely populated.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
This is fucking ingenious.

Send all the miscreants of your country to some far away place full of poisonous spiders.
Air children's program that convinces their descendents that said spiders are in fact harmless

Let nature take care of the rest. Not very efficient from a time perspective, but the planning and scheming. Wow.

so wait....what deadly bullshit is in Thomas the Tank Engine that will kill us yankees?

This is fucking ingenious.

Send all the miscreants of your country to some far away place full of poisonous spiders.
Air children's program that convinces their descendents that said spiders are in fact harmless

Let nature take care of the rest. Not very efficient from a time perspective, but the planning and scheming. Wow.

so wait....what deadly bullshit is in Thomas the Tank Engine that will kill us yankees?

Being obese means your in control?

There's a few spiders to warn your little ones of here in Aus, common ones around the house or backyard are below. Generally adults don't have to worry as we have anti-venom most of the likely bites. Also more people die from bee allergies in Australia than spider bites, it's just your little ones are in more danger/pain if bitten; due to smaller body mass.

Funnel Web (can be around the house or yard)
sydney-funnel-web.jpg

Redback (can be around the house or yard)
redback-spider.jpg

Mouse Spider (not deadly and generally found around rivers or waterways e.g. camping or bush walking)
Missulena_occatoria_spider_peripitus.jpg

Whitetail (not deadly and generally only come out at night)
white-tailed-spider.jpg

Yrael

Whitetail (not deadly and generally only come out at night)
white-tailed-spider.jpg

I get a lot of these too. They crawl on the ceiling sometimes and then fall on the bed at night (once one brushed my nose as it fell past while I was sitting up watching TV). There was another incident when I felt something nudge against my toe in the shower - I looked down to see a white-tailed spider surfing around on the surface of the water, desperately trying to grab my foot.

It's probably a good thing I like spiders. :B

I get a lot of these too. They crawl on the ceiling sometimes and then fall on the bed at night (once one brushed my nose as it fell past while I was sitting up watching TV). There was another incident when I felt something nudge against my toe in the shower - I looked down to see a white-tailed spider surfing around on the surface of the water, desperately trying to grab my foot.

It's probably a good thing I like spiders. :B

For the most part they're like bees, if you're calm and just be blasé about their presence then you have nothing to be concerned about.

Just two days ago I had a massive Hunstman drop down on my home office desk, he was cool.

Could've just not aired the episode to be honest, I think most people would have agreed.

Well yeah, the broadcaster agreed too.

From the OP
The ABC considered the episode unsuitable for broadcast in Australia and it had been restricted from being aired on the ABC's television networks. However, the episode was accidentally published online due to a technical problem

Leynos

Oh, for fuck's sake, I've shown my daughter that video as she loves Peppa Pig, and all I had to do was make sure that she knows which creepy-crawlies are dangerous, and which (the vast majority) are harmless. She loves spiders, and I make sure that she knows to be gentle with them, and to always ask me first before handling one.

Mr_Moogle

Redbacks aren't particularly dangerous. They look kind scary but very few people actually get killed by them. Australia's had anti-venom since the 1950's.

Honestly the whole spider thing is overblown in Australia. There are a few species to watch out for but aside from the odd freak accident, your gonna be okay. Just need to make sure people are educated and aware. No need for panic and it certainly shouldn't be a factor in whether or not a person would choose to move here.

It's the same with Snakes. Nothing to worry about if your not a complete moron. Just leave them be. They don't want anything to do with us anyway.

Honestly the hardest things about moving to Australia would be the extreme heat and high cost of living. Worrying about spiders is like worrying about lightning hitting you.

XavandSo

Neo Member
Yeah, I remember seeing this episode with my younger brother years ago and wondered the same thing. The Incy Wincy Spider scene was cute though.

inb4: HURR DURR Australian Censorship is at it again! /s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom