• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Flood Crisis - cities under water, sharks in the streets

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

Just thought I'd make a thread to bring this to people's attention. This is happening in Queensland, which is the state in the north east of Australia (near the Great Barrier Reef). The floods started last month and are still going. Here's an oldish article that conveys the size:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=australia-floods-cover-area-the-siz

By Michael Perry

SYDNEY, Dec 31 (Reuters) - Flood water rose across Australia's northeast on Friday, covering an area bigger than France and Germany combined, inundating 22 towns and stranding 200,000 people, and closing one of the country's major sugar export ports.

Flooding has already shut major coal mines in Queensland state and its biggest coal export port, forcing a long list of miners such as Anglo American and Rio Tinto to slow or halt operations.

The worst flooding in about 50 years has been caused by a La Nina weather pattern which has resulted in torrential rain over the past two weeks across northeast Australia.

"This disaster is a long way from over," Queensland state premier Anna Bligh told reporters on Friday.

"We now have 22 towns or cities that are either substantially flooded or isolated. That represents some 200,000 people spanning an area that's bigger than the size of France and Germany combined," said Bligh.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard toured the flood-hit sugar city of Bundaberg, which closed its port on Friday after flood debris was washed downstream into shipping channels and damaged navigation beacons.

"This is a natural disaster across Queensland," said Gillard in announcing a A$1 million ($1 million) government contribution to a flood aid appeal which now totals A$6 million.

Shipments of sugar from Australia, one the world's leading exporters of the sweetener, have been disrupted because of Bundaberg's port closure. The port normally ships about 400,000 tonnes of raw sugar annually, with three 30,000-tonne vessels due to arrive in the next few days.

"If the port is closed for only a few days it won't be a big issue but any extended delay would cause some concern," said Brian Mahoney, an executive with Marybrough Sugar Factory Ltd that ships through Bundaberg.

INLAND SEA CUTS COAL, SUGAR EXPORTS

The inland sea that now stretches across Queensland is dotted with the roofs of flooded homes, islands of dry ground crowded with stranded livestock and small boats ferrying people and emergency supplies.

Bundaberg resident Sandy Kiddle hugged Gillard as she told of the heartbreak of seeing her house flooded.

"It was just a sea of water and I thought the beach would never come to our house," Kiddle told Gillard from the evacuation centre she now calls home.

Australia has recorded its wettest spring on record, said the nation's weather bureau, causing six major river systems in Queensland state to flood. Several rivers in New South Wales state have also caused flood damaging the nation's wheat crop.

Possibly as much as half the Australian wheat crop or about 10 million tonnes has been downgraded to less than milling quality because of rain damage, tightening global supplies and helping send prices for the grain up about 45 percent this year, the biggest surge since 2007.

The floods have also pushed coking coal and thermal prices sharply higher and tight markets are keeping a close eye on further disruptions. Queensland's ports have an annual coal export capacity of 225 million tonnes.

Australia is the world's biggest exporter of coking coal used for steel-making and accounts for about two-thirds of global trade. Its is also the second-biggest exporter of thermal coal used for power generation.

Emergency authorities in Queensland said the flooding was not expected to reach a peak in some areas until Sunday and would not recede for at least a week.

Authorities are warning of rising health risks from floodwaters in Queensland, along with the danger of crocodiles and snakes in flooded homes. ($1 = 0.983 Australian dollars) (Additional Reporting by Bruce Hextall; Editing by Robert Birsel)

It also looks like the floods are going to move south into New South Wales:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...more-devastation/story-fn7ik2te-1225984710745

QUEENSLAND is bracing for a second round of widespread and damaging flooding, with heavy rainfall over the state's south expected to continue for the next two days.

Following a weekend downpour, the coastal towns of Gympie and Maryborough on the Mary River, 250km north of Brisbane, became the latest communities beset by floodwaters yesterday.

Acting Gympie Regional Mayor Tony Perrett says businesses just off Mary St have already been inundated, and up to 40 in the CBD could follow. About 40 houses could also be inundated if the 20-metre peak eventuates, he said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...on/story-fn7ik2te-1225984710745#ixzz1AbFeeLq3

The Bureau of Meteorology said the river at Gympie was expected to rise beyond the major flood level of 17 metres this morning, reaching up to 20 metres overnight into tomorrow.

Further south, more than 200mm of rain is expected over southeast Queensland and the Darling Downs today and tomorrow, and authorities are concerned the forecast deluge will cause the Condamine River system to swell further.

If this happens, it is likely that the Darling Downs towns of Dalby and Chinchilla - which experienced bad flooding just two weeks ago - could be swamped again. Authorities in Dalby reopened their evacuation centre and emergency crews are moving residents out ahead of more flash flooding this morning.

And last night Brisbane was also hit by flash flooding with police officers were forced to wade out of a stranded police car, the Courier-Mail reported. The Bruce Highway north of Brisbane was cut last night and almost 3000 homes were left without power.

The Queensland border town of Goondiwindi was also preparing for flooding last night.

Also last night, the Flood Relief Appeal Australia Unites raised $10 million as Australians pledged to help. The support was so huge there were more than 12,000 calls within the first minute, crashing the phone system.

Financial support for flood victims

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has announced income assistance payments of about $500 a fortnight to workers affected by floods.

"This measure is to assist people who are not able to do their normal income-earning work and get their normal income," Ms Gillard said in Canberra today.

As an example, she said the disaster income recovery subsidy would apply to a truck driver at a mine, which had been closed because of the floods, or similarly to a cafe worker. Farmers who were unable to deliver their harvests because of cut off roads would also be able to apply.

A similar subsidy, which is valid for a 13-week period, was offered by the Federal Government in the aftermath of Cyclone Larry and the Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria.

The payments will be available in 150 local government areas across Queensland, NSW, Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia.

Ms Gillard said the subsidy was in addition to significant assistance already available to the flood-affected.

Emergency money loans of $1000 per adult in Queensland had seen some 8000 claims lodged so far, and $10 million has already been paid.

Disaster claims another life

The natural disaster claimed another victim yesterday when a young woman drowned in a flooded creek at the Cherbourg Aboriginal community, inland from Gympie. The woman, in her 20s, was the 11th person to die as a result of the state's floods in the past fortnight.

And a plane carrying Queensland Premier Anna Bligh and the head of the government's Reconstruction Task Force, Major General Mick Slater, was hit by lightning yesterday afternoon after they had visited the flood-affected town of Theodore.

Queensland is now facing floods on three fronts - the cities of Bundaberg and Rockhampton, where peak floodwaters are falling only slightly; southern Queensland centred on Maryborough, where flooding has only just started; and western Queensland, where floodwaters peaked in St George at the weekend after previously peaking further upstream in Chinchilla and Dalby.

A major concern now is that the ground is so waterlogged the heavy rains are unable to be absorbed and full watercourses are bursting their banks.

The rains have also spread over the New South Wales border, with the Richmond River at Kyogle measured at 4.6m and still rising, while Lismore is among the larger towns in the firing line of the Wilsons River.

The Brunswick River, which runs through Mullumbimby, is also liable to burst its banks, according to the weather bureau.

The acting Deputy Chief Officer of Emergency Management Queensland, Warren Bridson, said the state was still under serious threat.

"This year, with all of the catchments primed (and) the rivers already flooding, the (forecast) 200mm of rain over the next 48 hours . . . could mean the difference between a minor flood and a major flood."

It was only a couple of years ago Queensland (and much of Australia) was in the middle of a crippling draught. I think at one stage they were talking about having to ship water in to south east Queensland because dam levels were only at 16% or something. Now this.

The poem was right:

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I was thinking of going on vacation in Australia next summer, but I might push it to the next summer instead. Not sure if this would have changed anything but whatever, it might be more convenient for me anyway.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If we're not burning, we're drowning.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
EatChildren said:

Pretty much. My house flooded twice at the end of last year (Victorian floods) the year before everything was on fire for like 3 months. :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I live in QLD and even though my area (Brisbane) has not been affected by the size of these floods further north and west, I will easily admit that I have only seen the sun maybe a dozen times since it started raining heavily in November. And that's pushing it.

Recently had a delivery earlier this morning and the guy said "thankfully I only have to delivery in this area today, we can't get anywhere out north-west"

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Rafa=FedKilla said:
Will this effect the Australian Open in Melborune?

Nope. The shitty weather in Melbourne will. :lol

To be fair its been really nice and hot for about 2 weeks now. Its been a very wet and cold summer so far.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Rafa=FedKilla said:
Nah, that's 2,000km south in Victoria.

Another good thing though is that this water will eventually work it's way down to NSW and SA, eventually flooded Lake Eyre again.

legend166

Rafa=FedKilla said:

Yes. Nadal will have to go back to wearing his three quarter length flood pants.

Seriously though, no. Melbourne is 2000km away from Queensland.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
speedpop said:

Another good thing though is that this water will eventually work it's way down to NSW and SA, eventually flooded Lake Eyre again.

Its going to look so awesome.

NotWii

Banned
a05_26488641.jpg

The Big Picture: Australian Flooding
More: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/01/australian_flooding.html

flood.jpg

Queensland floods to increase fruit/vegetable prices up to 50%
The disastrous floods in Queensland may cause up to $403m in damage to crops, according to the latest forecasts. This could cause fruit and vegetable prices to rise by up to 50 per cent.

Affected farmers report that both summer and winter crops have been destroyed, with many hectares of freshly planted grain, vegetable and fruit crops under water.

The damage is expected to increase the cost of groceries such as melons, tomatoes, mangoes, and bananas from today.
http://www.ausfoodnews.com.au/2010/12/29/queensland-floods-to-increase-food-prices.html

WEATHER-SENDS-US-BATTY.jpg

Coast's baby bats abandoned in wet
Torrential rain across Queensland has caused thousands of mother fruit bats to abandon their babies.

Trish said it was unusual for mother bats to leave their young, who they ''would go to the ends of the earth for''.

She said bats were misunderstood and actually ''human-like'' in their mannerisms and personalities.

And, like human children, baby bats just want love and attention.
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/01/10/281361_gold-coast-news.html

I always feel bad for Australia. It seems like you guys get screwed for all the stuff other countries do to the environment.

edit: RIP to the people who have died

jambo

speedpop said:

And hopefully flush out the lower lakes and the mouth of the Murray, fixing the salinity problems.

Really hope the water makes it!

Papa

Banned
I'm due to start a graduate program at the mines in Central QLD in less than a month. Not really sure what's going on with that now though...

NotWii

Banned
matt404au said:
I'm due to start a graduate program at the mines in Central QLD in less than a month. Not really sure what's going on with that now though...
You could take up scuba lessons

Coeliacus

I used to think that we were lucky cos our natural disasters were tame compared to hurricanes and earthquakes and everything else that happens overseas.

Then the bushfires in 2009 happened, and now this. I had no idea on the scale of it being relatively unaffected down in Melbourne. I thought driving through swarms of locusts was absurd going home for Christmas... I didn't really understand the scale of this until I read the article.

edit: Distracted by cute fruit bat.

xbhaskarx

A flood the size of France and Germany combined?? I'll believe it when I see a satellite image of the flood.
So probably in 100 years after Australia develops the ability to launch satellites.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
EatChildren said:
i wouldn't surprised. you guys are descendants of criminals anyway. and god is known to visit his wrath on the innocent generations.

Salazar

xbhaskarx said:
A flood the size of France and Germany combined?? I'll believe it when I see a satellite image of the flood.
So probably in 100 years after Australia develops the ability to launch satellites.

Veidt said:
i wouldn't surprised. you guys are descendants of criminals anyway. and god is known to visit his wrath on the innocent generations.

Fellas, this is some weak, weak, weak piss.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Man it's so hot, I'm going for a swim. Almost wish we had floods over here. Except for all the death and destruction that comes with them. Perhaps just some rain.

xbhaskarx said:

Or maybe you could look at a map of the world and realize that Australia is really fucking big and dwarfs both of those countries anyway.

It doesn't seem that unbelievable to me...

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
My yard was flooded the other day, fucken sucks walking through mud n shit. Right near a river as well so it stinks like fuckin mangroves.............. nasty.

Papa

Banned
xbhaskarx said:

At least we have free healthcare.

Ydahs

I've been following it from Victoria and it sure is depressing. What I'm amazed by is the little deaths as a result of these floods. Gotta appreciate the evacuation plans in place.

Ydahs said:
I've been following it from Victoria and it sure is depressing. What I'm amazed by is the little deaths as a result of these floods. Gotta appreciate the evacuation plans in place.

Definitely.

Down where in Ballarat the last couple of weeks have been hot as hell, kinda surreal that a bit up north is being decimated by rain. Australia's weather is pretty fucked really.

Eatchildren nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom