• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Flood Crisis - cities under water, sharks in the streets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

For those struggling to make sense of the scale, this image may help:

The area shown is roughly 800 miles wide.
8kpeu.png

Dead Man

I added Texas at the same scale. The shooping of the borders is a bit rough, I'm on my netbook with no mouse at the moment, but the scale should be pretty close.

TdnHs.jpg

dejay

Banned
ColeTheMole said:
^map
Damn all those rivers, i thought australia is just barren wasteland :lol

sorry.

The country is a continent and contains the varied amount of terrain and climate you'd expect to find in a landmass of it's size. It has several large tropical rain forest systems, temperate forests, vast (if night high) mountain ranges, a few large deserts, vast areas of savanna, a fair bit of agricultural land, and a big rock pretty much right in the centre. It's as diverse as the US, which is pretty close in size, but with less snow and more tropics, since it's closer to the equator.

The top third of the country is tropical or near enough - which is why there are lots of rivers there because it rains a lot in the wet season. Much of the centre doesn't get much rainfall, which is why Australia can't support as large a population as the US, for example.

Some great info there Dejay and Bernbuem. I'm in Brisbane, and I'm still learning a few things. :lol

Besides the heavy, constant rain, we've escaped much of the fooding where I am, 30ks south of Brisbane. A 100 km west and all hell has broken loose. Thinking of you all.

I know some friends from Bundaberg. I haven’t heard from them yet so I really hope they’re ok.

It’s all pretty damn crazy! Meanwhile in Victoria the weather continues to be muggy and shitty....

I was thinking the only good thing is all those snakes are doomed then I clicked the big picture on boston.com and there is a photo of a snake swiming across a highway

Bernbaum

seanoff said:
Brisbane might be next boys and girls.

Wivenhoe is full and they need to start releasing water.
I have a pile of unplayed JRPG's and a pantry stocked with all the nachos-making essentials.

I'm ready.

Veins said:
Wow, it never really registered with me that the danger isn't just the water but it's what's in the water that can kill you.

I think I'd fear things like submerged stormwater drains. Hearing people getting sucked down into them in flooded areas is a nightmare. You'd drown, or get mashed in the concrete network for kilometres. Horrific stuff.

Hope everyone is okay back home in Aus.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
seanoff said:

Never thought I'd see the day, back when it was close to 10% in 2007.

Wikipedia said:
The Wivenhoe dam holds twice as much water as Sydney Harbour.
Scary.

Something else that is scary is seeing 4WDs being swept like driftwood in Toowoomba.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Pylon_Trooper said:
I think I'd fear things like submerged stormwater drains. Hearing people getting sucked down into them in flooded areas is a nightmare. You'd drown, or get mashed in the concrete network for kilometres. Horrific stuff.

Hope everyone is okay back home in Aus.
Just reading this made me tense. Terrifying.

seanoff said:

Brisbane's been put on flood alert. =/ It's coming.

Meanwhile my house if filling up with spiders and geckos. Not sure if I'm lucky to be living on a hill or not now...:lol

Geez? until April? My summer.... *sigh*

HolyCheck said:
9/11 sucked because cheez tv wasn't on.

:lol :lol :lol

I'm sorry, I know its bad. I've been wanting to add this to one of the "where were you on 9/11?" Threads but was afraid of getting banned.

speedpop

Some of the rivers swelling to ridiculous levels. Like, breaking records that were at their highest in the 1800s.

speedpop said:
Some of the rivers swelling to ridiculous levels. Like, breaking records that were at their highest in the 1800s.

What about the Brisbane floods in the 70's (80's?) ? I hear those were pretty bad.

speedpop

shanshan310 said:
What about the Brisbane floods in the 70's (80's?) ? I hear those were pretty bad.
Yeah. I wasn't born by the 1974 flood, but I heard it was pretty horrendous. Wikipedia says that the Brisbane River peak was 6.6m at high tide back then - I'm sure it won't get as bad as other river systems up north due to the size, but when you're hearing about those rivers peaking at 9m+ you have to take a step back and be a bit worried.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Radio just said a huge inland Tsunami has hit the King Valley and there are lots of people missing. I have an aunt there and tried calling but no answer yet.

Anyone know anything?

Dead Man

Router said:
Radio just said a huge inland Tsunami has hit the King Valley and there are lots of people missing. I have an aunt there and tried calling but no answer yet.

Anyone know anything?
No info here, hope she is okay though.

Router said:

Anyone know anything?

Damn. Sorry man, I don’t know. I really hope she’s okay though!

Router said:
Anyone know anything?
The Sydney Morning Herald said:
At least four people are dead, six missing and dozens more stranded after an "inland tsunami" swept through the Darling Downs city of Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley.

There have been reports of up to seven deaths. They have not been confirmed, but it is likely the death toll will rise.

Premier Anna Bligh tonight said a woman and a young boy were killed as floods swept through the Toowoomba CBD, while a man and a young boy were killed when they were swept from their home at Murphys Creek.
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/w...vastates-queensland-towns-20110110-19kti.html

Ydahs

Bernbaum

So two four people died in the Toowoomba floods today.

Toowoomba really is the big surprise. These floods have been going for weeks, and everyone had their eyes on Rockhampton and Condamine. Toowoomba brings it home because it happened so quick and it's one of the larger urban hubs for that region and is two hour drive from Brissie. Some of the photos from my colleague have been used in the news, but there's no doubt countless more.

As for Brisbane, well we'll have to wait and see. The river has been overflowing onto the sidewalks in the city since from the week before Christmas. With a controlled drainage of the now-full Wivenhoe Dam, we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm smack bang in the CBD and look right over the river. I take the train but I know of at least one busway into the city that crosses a creek which floods at the drop of a hat.

If the banks break, here's what we're looking at: My old university; and Inner-city Brisbane - my office is in a yet-to-exist tower in the top left corner cluster of buildings.

My parents are in a coastal town in the tourist-haven on the Sunshine Coast. They rang yesterday to say their phone and internet will be out for the rest of the month and they can only be contacted via mobile phone. They're pretty high up so not worried about damage to the home, but there may be roads in their area cut off which will affect them getting about.

oh hey, its started raining again. Welp, I guess I couldn't really hope for anything more than a couple of rain-free hours...

Ydahs said:

I've always been afraid to post over there. :lol I guess I'll go and check it out.

Bernbaum said:
As for Brisbane, well we'll have to wait and see. The river has been overflowing onto the sidewalks in the city since from the week before Christmas. With a controlled drainage of the now-full Wivenhoe Dam, we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm smack bang in the CBD and look right over the river. I take the train but I know of at least busway into the city that crosses a creek which floods at the drop of a hat.

If the banks break, here's what we're looking at: My old university; and Inner-city Brisbane - my office is in a yet-to-exist tower in the top left corner cluster of building.

Hope you're doing okay there. Also with someone saying the rain is predicted to last till April, I sure hope UQ is okay for semester :S

Heard on the news tonight Wivenhoe is at 150% What happens when they drain it?

Gelry said:
And then, power outage.

=/ My house was out for like 4 days during Gapocolypse (the 2008 storms). And I got lucky. Actually, I'm a little surprised things have been okay powerwise up till now.

Gelry

aka Bastiaan
In all seriousness; seeing these pictures is quite shocking. Australia really is a land of extremes. I remember watching a program on our local television (Belgium) talking about years of no rain in the outback of Queensland and now it is nothing but rain (although I don't know if it is raining in the outback too? Seems to be going by the maps posted, but I'm not sure)

The Wet sure is wet this year.

SumPog

Neo Member
I can barely recognise those towns, they look so different to what they used to look like.
Does anyone know if the floods are affecting Northern NSW? My grandparent's farm is up there and I haven't heard from them in weeks.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Gelry said:
In all seriousness; seeing these pictures is quite shocking. Australia really is a land of extremes. I remember watching a program on our local television (Belgium) talking about years of no rain in the outback of Queensland and now it is nothing but rain (although I don't know if it is raining in the outback too? Seems to be going by the maps posted, but I'm not sure)

I have a friend who grew up on a farm north east of Perth in a very dry area. The first time he saw rain was when he was 7. That always blows my mind.

Bernbaum

Gelry said:

Being on water restrictions during a drought is still a fresh memory. They scaled back on them in late 2009, but from 2005 in the city of Brisbane - the capital of Queensland with a population of about 2 millions - there were limits on what you could use water for, and at what times. Just over a year ago we were technically still in a drought. Things like sprinkling the plants and washing the car were enforced by law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom