• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Niño 2016 |OT| - It's Spanish for The Niño

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winds and such can always change, so I figure the big pour is just a little delayed from what was expected. Let's enjoy the sun/dry weather right now before gloom and doom hits!

(I'm used to the rain and overcast, being originally from the northwest, but I still can't get used to the heavy pours here).

The first storm in this series was not expected to be heavy, just overnight rains.

Balphon

Warmer and drier in the northwest sounds like a nice change of pace.

Portland just had its wettest month in 75 years and it's been colder here than it was in New York the past few weeks.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Barely drizzled here in Mountain View. I was some heroic storms rolling through, man.

We have two weeks of storms coming, and likely several months overall at the very least. Not every one will be a massive storm, lol.

Barely drizzled here in Mountain View. I was some heroic storms rolling through, man.

ONCE AGAIN: the storm that passed last night was forecasted to be a week overnight rain. NWS from yesterday:

CXzPYKIU0AESF11.png

Tonight/tomorrow will be a different story.

Xe4

Banned
Snow stor is gonna dump a few inches in NM. A weekend or so ago we got like 2-3 feet here. It was dope. I love the Nino.

XiaNaphryz

So the first storm passed already.

Round 2 is tonight.

Round 2 is here. Just started pouring here in SF right as I got on the commuter ferry home. Let's see if the boat ride is affected any, I don't think it will be if the storm just started to hit.

Gleeky

Emptied water from all 6 plastic trash cans a few days ago around my front and backyard. Ready for the refill and then some!

XiaNaphryz

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/El-Ni-o-storms-lined-up-over-Pacific-ready-to-6735265.php

El Niño is finally here, and forecasters said its brute force will be felt in the Bay Area on Tuesday with an early morning downpour of up to an inch of rain in just three hours that will kick open the door for a sequence of super soakers over at least the next week.

For months, climate scientists have been talking about the possibility of a wetter-than-average winter in California because of warming equatorial Pacific Ocean temperatures. Those predictions appear to be coming true as storms lined up over the Pacific Ocean will bring, one after another, substantial rain to almost all of California.

“This does have El Niño DNA associated with it,” said Bob Benjamin, a forecaster with the National Weather Service. “We’re getting some tropical moisture with the systems coming across the mid-Pacific.”

In recent weeks, the Bay Area has had a few good rainstorms — and plenty of snow in the Sierra — but none of it was because of El Niño.

The first real-deal El Niño system Monday didn’t have much pizzazz, producing only light sprinkles. But forecasters expected a much fiercer storm to hit around 3 a.m. Tuesday in San Francisco.

The weather service is calling for more than an inch of rain in less than three hours, which could lead to some flooding on the region’s roadways and overflowing of rural streams.

The weather service issued a flash-flood watch for the southern Monterey Bay and Big Sur coast, where the heaviest rain is expected. Forecasters warned of possible debris flows and rock slides that could obstruct parts of Highway 1 in that area.

The agency also issued a flash-flood watch through Tuesday evening for areas in Lake County that were burned in a series of fires over the summer.

Residents around the Bay Area were gearing up Monday for the spillover. In San Francisco, they were filling sandbags at the Department of Public Works yard at 2323 Cesar Chavez St.

Most of that heavy downpour will have exhausted itself by the Tuesday morning commute, but some lingering rain may make for dicey conditions in the dark, early morning hours. That’s when sustained winds will kick up to 20 mph, with gusts hitting 30 mph, forecasters said.

Wheeee.

And for the SoCal folks:

http://www.latimes.com/local/weather/la-me-ln-el-nino-rain-intense-preparations-20160104-story.html

The heaviest storm is expected Tuesday, when up to 2 inches of rain is forecast to drop on the coast and valleys and up to 4 inches could pour onto the mountains and foothills.

Forecasters expect four storms to hit the Southland by Friday, but caution that rain is only a part of the story.
Waves up to 10 feet could slam the coast south of Point Concepcion through Tuesday and grow to as big as 15 feet on Thursday.

Here is a rundown of preparations, as compiled by City News Service:

ROAD ALERTS

According to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works, Lake Hughes Road will close between Warm Springs and Newvale Drive beginning at 4 a.m. Tuesday. Glendora Ridge Road will be closed between Glendora Mountain and Mount Baldy roads beginning at 6 a.m. The roads will reopen "once conditions permit," according to the county. Information on road closures during the storm will be available online at www.dpw.lacounty.gov/roadclosures or by calling the 211 information line.EVACUATION INFORMATION

According to officials at the Orange County Emergency Operations Center, a voluntary evacuation order will go into effect at 10 a.m. for residences east of 30311 Silverado Canyon Road. The order coincides with a flash flood watch issued by the National Weather Service that will be in effect from 10 a.m. Tuesday until 4 a.m. Thursday. A Red Cross shelter is expected to be established in the area, but details have not yet been released.

WINTER SHELTER

The Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority announced the opening of
seven temporary shelters to augment facilities it already operates. Most of the authority's winter shelters, which are located throughout the county, opened in November and December, with beds for about 2,000 people. The additional seven locations will be able to temporarily house 1,131 people, according to the authority. Information on locations and transportation to reach them is available at www.lahsa.org or by calling 211.

Forecast said SoCal will get 4 different shower streams this week starting yesterday. But where is the rain? I don't see any rain, do you?!
You are a very bad man Mr forecaster, you are a VERY bad man.
rKfLVHp.gif

M52B28

Banned
Thank god I have an abundance of outerwear from my dad's job.

Not my first rodeo with weather, but this will be interesting, especially when driving.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It is messing up with weather patterns here in Europe. We had the driest three months in the last 50 years - no rain or snow from 11th October until 4th January.

No snow in the mountains could mean severe drought in the summer. Unless we will be swimming from all rain in the spring

This late fall and winter have definitely been wetter than it has been all decade here in sf bay are northern cali. We've got tons of snow and actual rain and it's been pretty damn cold as well. Going snowboarding this weekend with all this fresh powder dropping this wk!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
*looks outside* I thought the storm was on its way? I guess it attacked SF and then took off?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I dont see shit nor hear shit and by shit I mean rain...wtf.

Tagyhag

There were dark clouds in San Fernando valley during the afternoon and then just left.

I better see something tomorrow!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It probably floated away and decided to flood Texas again or something >_>

EDIT: right after I hit enter, the winds pick up

XiaNaphryz

There was a really strong pour late last night that momentarily woke me up with the noise against my roof and window. Been raining steadily all morning since it seems...already lots of rain on the roads and freeway during my short drive to the ferry terminal.

I'm guessing it hits SoCal later in the day if it's not raining there yet.

Storm 3 that hits tomorrow is supposed to be the strongest of this week's storms.

Pouring right now in Bakersfield. My truck even hydroplaned for half a second. Twas a great way to start the morning, no coffee needed.

Nice steady rain going on here outside the office here in Irvine, and some pretty nice gusts of wind too. Hopefully it calms down before the rain falls sideways and such.

Nista

Nice steady rain going on here outside the office here in Irvine, and some pretty nice gusts of wind too. Hopefully it calms down before the rain falls sideways and such.

Yeah it's pouring right now, and it's making me a bit worried for my plants out on the patio. Times like this I wish I had a greenhouse even out here in socal.

FuuRe

Chile here

Some drops were falling here in Santiago for a while.

In January, in mid summer.

Shit is crazy

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I like the trend of waking up and seeing that it's over^^ Shoot tomorrow i'll be outside... please don't let it be thunderstorms like my weather app told me! Push it back Thursday!

XiaNaphryz

I like the trend of waking up and seeing that it's over^^ Shoot tomorrow i'll be outside... please don't let it be thunderstorms like my weather app told me! Push it back Thursday!

Tomorrow is supposed to be the strongest of this week's storms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom