• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

You could write the list on a very small piece of paper of the series that wouldn't be improved with monster girls.

Actually no you couldn't because there are none.
This is true
Strike Witches could improve Nisekoi.

With the whole cast dying from the Neuroi and goddesses Minna and Hanna replacing them.
This is also true.
:/

Until episode 6, Space Dandy was pretty mediocre though. I mean, you had episode 3, which is one of the worst things I've seen animated. 6 was also boring as hell. If I didn't have GAF hyping it up and a few good episodes, I doubt I'd keep watching till S2.
Episode 5 was already the first great dandy episode. Still stands out in the whole.

Japanese Fans Rank 2015's Best Anime Songs

1."Sugar Song to Bitter Step," Unison Square Garden (Blood Blockade Battlefront)
2."Hanamaru Pippi wa Yoiko Dake," AŌP (Mr. Osomatsu)
3."Bravely You," Lia (Charlotte)
4."Beyond the Bottom," Wake Up, Girls! (Wake Up, Girls!)
5."Shōjo Kōkyōkyoku" (Girl Symphony), Wake Up, Girls! (Wake Up, Girls!)
6."Maji Love Revolutions," ST☆RISH (Utano☆Princesama Revolutions)
7."Shine," Mamoru Miyano (Utano☆Princesama Revolutions)
8."Pride Kakumei" (Pride Revolution), CHICO with Honeyworks (Gintama)
9."Shine!!," Cinderella Project (The IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls)
10."Brave Shine," Aimer (Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-01-03/japanese-fans-rank-2015-best-anime-songs/.97138

Kekkai Sensen's Ending is too good.

Brave Shine is still one of Aimer's best/

UtaPri though, Maji Love Revolutions is so good
tumblr_nqvf8wtlZH1tmq9o5o2_500.gif

Mature

I remember enjoying the first few episodes of Nisekoi, but all the discourse around the show made me less interested pretty fast.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sore ga Seiyuu 6

The truth bombs continue. Being a professional in the entertainment industry means putting on a good face even if your heart is breaking inside.
I didn't know you were watching this show. I think it's moments like this that I just appreciated more than Shirobako. The profession is a slog, and the "dream" of being a voice actress is hardly that for people who are just grinders.

It reminds me of this Jeff Cannata story where he talks about how he spent 5 hours going to an audition knowing he had no choice at the part. Then in another story, he talks about how he went in first, was guaranteed the part, and walked out and realized that the 10 other guys waiting to audition had no chance.

I didn't know you were watching this show. I think it's moments like this that I just appreciated more than Shirobako. The profession is a slog, and the "dream" of being a voice actress is hardly that for people who are just grinders.

It reminds me of this Jeff Cannata story where he talks about how he spent 5 hours going to an audition knowing he had no choice at the part. Then in another story, he talks about how he went in first, was guaranteed the part, and walked out and realized that the 10 other guys waiting to audition had no chance.

Dunno how much of Shirobako you've seen, but rest assured there's plenty of that in there, too.

Cornbread78

Emma a Victorian Romance S2 ep.4-6
Some good stuff in here highlighting the issues with relationships in social England back then. By a twist of fate, we finally get to meet William's mom and get some backstory to highlight those issues. A surprise engagement and maybe another brewing relationship, lots going on here.

Oh and nothing is wrong with Nisekoi. Onodera is the best girl by far, but Chitoge will win; those mom episodes were good stuff.

Quasar

I'll be honest, I've never actually read a manga. Wait, no, that isn't true. I read Rurouni Kenshin's third arc ages ago. But I guess it's never too late to start.

Right. At this point I couldn't really imagine not reading manga and novels. Beyond it allowing me access to story types that get short shrift in anime (like josei) theres just so many shows where the first act only gets animated.

As for Gate, I did just see this chart noting how Gate books are selling ok.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/01/02/top-selling-light-novel-series-of-2015-announced

Dunno if that would be enough. I guess the 2nd season needs to keep pushing that up.

John Blade

Emma a Victorian Romance S2 ep.4-6
Some good stuff in here highlighting the issues with relationships in social England back then. By a twist of fate, we finally get to meet William's mom and get some backstory to highlight those issues. A surprise engagement and maybe another brewing relationship, lots going on here.

Man, I though you just stop but look like you continue the show. Hope to hear your final impression when you're done. Right now, I am going back to the show but in Manga form as they're quite a few stuff different between the manga and anime.

Celcius

°Temp. member
What's up with Iron Blooded Orphans, are they taking a break mid-season like Fate Zero did? Any news on when it should start back up?
Also
is the enemy captain really engaged to a kid?

Jex

I have no doubt that Nisekoi was probably worse!

It was a pretty dark time.

It's not even that I found certain episodes of S1 Space Dandy to be painfully average, which is what Nisekoi was - but I found them to be truly bad in a manner that made them painful to sit through.

Joe Molotov

Since the Winter OP is a team effort you can choose the next subtitle. Oh and I recommend coming up with a good one so I don't come up with another bleak one that leaves you cold.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Like snow flakes in the sky… we’re falling one by one.

I haven't watched past the first episode of Shirobako so I can't really compare the two. But I appreciate that Sore ga Seiyuu focuses on the plight of struggling young artists (with sage advice offered by the big-name seiyuu cameo of the episode!). Funny enough, Shirobako and Sore ga Seiyuu have the same scriptwriter, Michiko Yokote.

The Big O 04

This show reminds me a lot of Batman: The Animated Series, from the Bruce Wayne-esque nature of Roger to just the general artstyle, direction and feel. This must have some of the same Sunrise staff that worked on B:TAS and it's a good feel to evoke as B:TAS is easily one of the greatest animated TV series of all time. Big O even has this dude -

who just straight up looks like a B-tier Batman villain, some kind of Scarecrow/Two Face mix.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't watched past the first episode of Shirobako so I can't really compare the two. But I appreciate that Sore ga Seiyuu focuses on the plight of struggling young artists (with sage advice offered by the big-name seiyuu cameo of the episode!). Funny enough, Shirobako and Sore ga Seiyuu have the same scriptwriter, Michiko Yokote.
Shirobako also had an actress, but her role is minor compared to the other girls.
And even then, we just had a short discussion here about how anime is poverty, which is something they don't really mention.
I don't know if someone could ever make an anime that is critical of the industry though. Like UnReal or The Comeback did in 2014 for "real" TV.

Ascheroth

What's up with Iron Blooded Orphans, are they taking a break mid-season like Fate Zero did? Any news on when it should start back up?
Also
is the enemy captain really engaged to a kid?

Everything was taking a break this week. It should continue next sunday like normal.

Shirobako also had an actress, but her role is minor compared to the other girls.
And even then, we just had a short discussion here about how anime is poverty, which is something they don't really mention.
I don't know if someone could ever make an anime that is critical of the industry though. Like UnReal or The Comeback did in 2014 for "real" TV.

A factor there is that, because working in the anime industry is so difficult, if you're completely cynical about it you're more likely to quit and get a job elsewhere than try to get an original anime project created to express your cynicism.

Mature

It was a pretty dark time.

It's not even that I found certain episodes of S1 Space Dandy to be painfully average, which is what Nisekoi was - but I found them to be truly bad in a manner that made them painful to sit through.
Damn. Rough.

There's a particular scene featuring Ema where she mentions how she won't be able to afford food if she can't do her job properly or sth along the lines.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A factor there is that, because working in the anime industry is so difficult, if you're completely cynical about it you're more likely to quit and get a job elsewhere than try to get an original anime project created to express your cynicism.
I suppose there's that. But if someone can make an anime about how crappy it is to be an idol... it's not that far off from the crappiness of being in anime production.

kewlmyc

Sound! Euphonium 01-02

Very pretty show and it's reminding me of my band days in middle/high school. Enjoying it so far. The OP/ED are very K-ON-esque, which doesn't seem to fit the show in my opinion.

Chindogg

The Big O 04

This show reminds me a lot of Batman: The Animated Series, from the Bruce Wayne-esque nature of Roger to just the general artstyle, direction and feel. This must have some of the same Sunrise staff that worked on B:TAS and it's a good feel to evoke as B:TAS is easily one of the greatest animated TV series of all time. Big O even has this dude -

who just straight up looks like a B-tier Batman villain, some kind of Scarecrow/Two Face mix.

It is the Sunrise crew that worked on Batman TAS lol.

Narag

One Punch Man: Road to Hero

Figured I'd watch this to see if it'd motivate me to get back into the series. Instead it was so godawful boring that I might just watch the rest on sakugabooru.

One Punch Man: Road to Hero

Figured I'd watch this to see if it'd motivate me to get back into the series. Instead it was so godawful boring that I might just watch the rest on sakugabooru.

Why would you watch that? It's a typical boring-ass original OVA. Even I didn't like it.

If the end user can get enough out of the manga to feel like they don't need to buy the anime it maybe speaks to the quality of the anime.

If the popularity is derived primarily from what's done on the anime production side, why engage with picking up these outside properties at all?

I feel like it doesn't necessarily speak to the quality of the anime (although it could in some cases), as much as the prices.

Anime volumes are ridiculously expensive, so most viewers will enjoy watching a show on TV and never buy it because of how ridiculous the prices are (hence why shows with a million plus viewers might struggle to sell more than 5k), leaving just a small minority of super fans with money to burn to buy the volumes. On the other hand, manga is dirt cheap (like around 400 yen a volume), so it's very ordinary for people to pick up the manga volumes for something like they like (even random manga that consistently poll near the bottom of Weekly Sounen Jump can shift numbers that even the most popular anime would never dream of selling).

So if you like an anime adaptation of a manga, buying the manga is a much cheaper alternative to buying the anime, unless you have a crazy amount of money or really want whatever volume extras the blu-rays have.

And the logic of picking up outside properties is, I feel, fairly simple. You'll get a built in audience who are already going to come to your show having been a fan of the title for several years. That's already a leg up on most original titles. And a ready made story and character designs (although obviously both need to be adapted for anime) means less time spent just trying to come up with any ideas to begin with. For a lot of productions, just knowing that there's already a fan base probably gives them a much bigger starting point than any original series would. The problem is that it doesn't guarantee those fans will pay the gougy prices for blu-rays.

Cornbread78

Man, I though you just stop but look like you continue the show. Hope to hear your final impression when you're done. Right now, I am going back to the show but in Manga form as they're quite a few stuff different between the manga and anime.

Lol, nope, I just got side tracked with Baka to Test. Got pretty interesting in those episodes, but it's hard to comment "generally" without spoilers, lol.

Shirobako - 23

Oh man that wild west walk to the meeting was glorious. Along with the editor justice and the last scene, it's probably my favorite episode of the show.

Yup it was such a great episode. That last scene got me emotional. Great payoff after all the build up.

e_i

Oh, Shirow is only credited with the concept for Koukaku no Pandora. I read the two chapters of the manga and realized it wasn't his style at all. Shirow's designs for the two main characters are way, way different.

e_i

Shirobako - 23

Oh man that wild west walk to the meeting was glorious. Along with the editor justice and the last scene, it's probably my favorite episode of the show.

The last few minutes of Shirobako episode 23 is one of the best anime scenes ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom