• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there I'm diving into School Rumble season 2 and then the new OP plays...

fHQoOpP.gif

What a downgrade.

duckroll

So, any takers for my Towa no Quon watchalong? No obligation to finish it, just looking for other people who will be willing to watch say, an episode a day or two, over the next week plus, and post about it. If it turns out to be real dogshit at least we won't be alone. It's available on DVD and Blu-ray from Sentai as well as on Hulu for Americans.

There's cool stuff like this:
kP7MxKl.gif

phaze

RIP Miyu Matsuki (Shiina's mom).

Stahp. Koufuku is texhnolyze levels of depressing already.

So, any takers for my Towa no Quon watchalong? No obligation to finish it, just looking for other people who will be willing to watch say, an episode a day or two, over the next week plus, and post about it. If it turns out to be real dogshit at least we won't be alone. It's available on DVD and Blu-ray from Sentai as well as on Hulu for Americans.

kP7MxKl.gif

Oh it's that one show I know from gifs and mads.

Ehhh count me in, one more shite show won't make a difference.

Szadek

Fairy Tail.
I finished the Tenrou Island arc, as well as the 2 episodes. after that arc.
It was probably the best arc in a really long time.

Apperently the first long filler arc is next. I'm not sure if i should watch it, or just skip to the next normal arc.

Also, I finished Hibike! Euphonium.
This was really great. I feel like a bit like a bit of the show is lost one me , because I don't know shit about music or instruments, but it was still totally worth watching.
Can't wait for the sequel.

Cornbread78

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Sharing☆Our Love for anime

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Fear of a Weebo Planet

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| 50 Cent has nothing on this Candy Shop

phaze

No OP downgrade can be as great as the one between the two seasons of Natsu no Arashi.

I was going to raise youTokyo Ghoul ( which isn't maybe anything special but is decent and has a good/great song) toRoot A but after checking out NnA openings I will have to fold.
https://oneofepisodes.wordpress.com...r-favorite-anime-doesnt-have-a-second-season/

JDqoOho.png

I hadn't seen this.

I really used to think that the anime boosting popularity of the manga and increasing manga sales at least somewhat positively impacted the anime's sales. Guess I was wrong.

Aren't the manga owners sitting in production committee and shelling out the cash for the adaptation in the first place ? That's what this thread taught me.

Jarmel

Banned
https://oneofepisodes.wordpress.com...r-favorite-anime-doesnt-have-a-second-season/

JDqoOho.png

I hadn't seen this.

I really used to think that the anime boosting popularity of the manga and increasing manga sales at least somewhat positively impacted the anime's sales. Guess I was wrong.
In the first place, a second season being brought up by the production committee only happens in the better cases. Most of them don’t even talk about a second season; they stop by the 3rd or 4th BD and calculate whether they can minimize their losses.

ooof

Shirobako - 16

hhnnngggg [sound]

I started to play air bass during the softball scene due to the sick jazz playing
So far the director is my favorite character. That doll and bear are starting to get on my nerves as of late.

Iron Blooded Orphans 13

Saw that Gundam was updated on Crunchyroll and ended up re-watching this episode somehow. Doesn't matter though, that kiss is so good I could watch it twenty or so times.

kP7MxKl.gif

Fine, I'll join in as long as I'm free to drop it if I feel I'm wasting my time.

I really enjoyed this series, probably the most pleasant thing SHAFT has done in years

Since their last Hidamari production in 2013, yeah.

In what world is the S2 opening a downgrade?

In the world where the S1 opening, with a creative visual concept and bright song, exists.

duckroll

Aren't the manga owners sitting in production committee and shelling out the cash for the adaptation in the first place ? That's what this thread taught me.

Depends on the production committee and depends on the project? Obviously not every project is going to be the same. I've heard for example, that Bandai/Sunrise isn't particular eager on doing more Horizon even though it sold really well, because the terms of the contract favor the rights holders way more than the animation production side.

kP7MxKl.gif
Ok I'm down with this.

Jarmel

Banned
Depends on the production committee and depends on the project? Obviously not every project is going to be the same. I've heard for example, that Bandai/Sunrise isn't particular eager on doing more Horizon even though it sold really well, because the terms of the contract favor the rights holders way more than the animation production side.

Couldn't the rights holders then go to a different production company?

duckroll

Couldn't the rights holders then go to a different production company?

If they desperately want to have more made regardless, sure. But I doubt they're in any hurry themselves seeing how the novels sell really well as it is. Who's going to pay for it anyway? And is there any assurance that the fans will still buy the anime if it's rebooted with a new studio and staff? Lots of factors in why stuff doesn't get made.

phaze

It's just weird that the quoted person doesn't account for that option at all seemingly.

I liked the "too much anime is being made" reason for the state of industry. I'm not quite sure how the situation in USA looks like but it seems to me that for a 120 mln large population with heavy demographic issues, Japanese are producing a buttload of animated works.

If they desperately want to have more made regardless, sure. But I doubt they're in any hurry themselves seeing how the novels sell really well as it is. Who's going to pay for it anyway? And is there any assurance that the fans will still buy the anime if it's rebooted with a new studio and staff? Lots of factors in why stuff doesn't get made.

Then how the heck does stuff like Berserk and D.Gray-Man get a new anime adaptation? Especially the latter when it's been 7 years since the original anime ended. What would be the incentive?

I hadn't seen this.

Thanks for the link. It's hilarious how some people seem to think anime companies are getting rich of the backs of exploited fans ("Why is Aniplex so greedy?") when, as those tweets show, the reality is that everyone is just barely scraping by.

sonicmj1

I think you need to keep in mind that anime production is done by committees. The manga owners are part of the committee, but so are the people actually making the anime, as well as the goods producers, music producers, TV stations, and whatever else. All those people wouldn't see any return from positive manga sales; they need the actual anime to do well to make their money back.

Even from the manga publisher's perspective, there's not much guarantee that a second season will provide the same sales boost as the visibility created by the first season.

duckroll

Then how the heck does stuff like Berserk and D.Gray-Man get a new anime adaptation? Especially the latter when it's been 7 years since the original anime ended. What would be the incentive?

I dunno about D-Gray-Man, but Berserk has Warner Brothers Japan money behind it, just like Jojo does. A better question would be to ask how Mushishi got a second season. Sometimes producers are simply very passionate about good material and will try to work deals out to get stuff made even if there's a low possibility of financial success. Just like how some Hollywood producers still work with Del Toro!

/me hides.

Jarmel

Banned
If they already got a sales boost for the manga/LN/whatever else and it kept selling, what would they hope to achieve to produce more anime at a loss then? Another sales boost?

Well in the case of Horizon, I imagine they weren't producing at a loss.

BluWacky

For D. Gray-Man, it will be to remind people that it started being serialised again about six months ago. A new TV series will make sure people pick up the old volumes of the manga and maybe start buying whatever it's being serialised in these days; there's nearly 10 volumes more material to adapt since the last show. Interestingly, it's still TMS Entertainment that seem to be animating this new version, like the previous one.

Berserk isn't even really getting a new adaptation now; the latest material is stuff that's never been animated, which is obviously something of a draw. With the manga continuing to be very popular, and off the back of the films, clearly something's working for the production committee.

I dunno about D-Gray-Man, but Berserk has Warner Brothers Japan money behind it, just like Jojo does. A better question would be to ask how Mushishi got a second season. Sometimes producers are simply very passionate about good material and will try to work deals out to get stuff made even if there's a low possibility of financial success. Just like how some Hollywood producers still work with Del Toro!

/me hides.

Also, the first Mushishi season actually sold decently (albeit Zoku Sho did not).

Theonik

More-over, even if the content owners are going to another anime production, it is likely they will have heard about why Sunrise stepped out and be put off getting involved themselves, especially when the material owners are unlikely to offer them terms that are fairer than what Sunrise got.

I liked the "too much anime is being made" reason for the state of industry. I'm not quite sure how the situation in USA looks like but it seems to me that for a 120 mln large population with heavy demographic issues, Japanese are producing a buttload of animated works.
You should also account that 200m yen is lower than US show budgets are as well. That accounts for part of the reason why we get so much anime being made.

Voror

kP7MxKl.gif

I remember seeing this ages ago but can't recall if it was any good. Some good animation though and I remember the final episode having some crazy moments.

Theonik

What about merchandise sales?
Again it all depends on the production committee.

Edit: It is very hard to answer this kind of questions because answers will always be specific to the parties and projects involved, think of JoJo for instance. Medicos entertainment makes JoJo figures and is also in the production committee for JoJo. They put money in the production expecting to get it back by selling things, they also advertise them in the commercials during JoJo's airing.

Voror

Code Geass would like a word with you.

Oh, I remember that one. If I remember correctly, the second opening was a case of the company wanting to push the band did the second opening and made the showrunners use one of their songs to help give the band a push. You can kind of tell since the first opening is edited with the song pretty well whereas the second one isn't much at all.

I was going to raise youTokyo Ghoul ( which isn't maybe anything special but is decent and has a good/great song) toRoot A but after checking out NnA openings I will have to fold.

I keep wondering if I should watch the first season or not of TG. I've read a lot about the issues it has in adapting but have heard it at least mostly sticks to the plot unlike the second season.

What about merchandise sales?

If you read the linked article, the producer brings this up:

So what if you sell a lot of goods from the show? Royalties from anime goods is just a few percent of the total revenue, so if you sell maybe 10 million yen worth of goods, only a few hundred thousand yen will go to the anime company. If you don’t sell a lot, it won’t be a huge sum. In the end, it’s still tough if the BDs don’t sell.

Russ T

Banned

/me hides.

Brutal.

Those translated tweets are sad, but also make a lot of sense. Everything's about as I expected. It's a shame. When will the anime industry crash and burn so it can be rebuilt from the ground up? The future is bleak.

Brutal.

Those translated tweets are sad, but also make a lot of sense. Everything's about as I expected. It's a shame. When will the anime industry crash and burn so it can be rebuilt from the ground up? The future is bleak.

Ever since Osamu Tekuza's Astro Boy, the Japanese animation industry has operated with meager resources and thin or non-existent margins. Somehow it's survived up to now. If it does end up completely collapsing, I don't think there's any likelihood of it being rebuilt. Rather, any desires for animated productions will migrate to other Asian countries such as China and Korea.

Brutal.

Rebuilt would mean CG instead of handdrawn animations.

So how big of a boost does a manga series need to have in order for the anime adaption not to be a complete loss of profit? Or does manga sales not help at all? So all the series in the top 10 are completely safe because they make revenue off of various things.

I keep wondering if I should watch the first season or not of TG. I've read a lot about the issues it has in adapting but have heard it at least mostly sticks to the plot unlike the second season.

Season 1 is decent, but honestly the smart choice would be just reading the manga.

So how big of a boost does a manga series need to have in order for the anime adaption not to be a complete loss of profit? Or does manga sales not help at all? So all the series in the top 10 are completely safe.

How is a company supposed to make money with increased manga sales if it only part of the PC to sell audio stuff for example?

So how big of a boost does a manga series need to have in order for the anime adaption not to be a complete loss of profit? Or does manga sales not help at all? So all the series in the top 10 are completely safe because they make revenue off of various things.

Manga sales are good for the manga publisher, of course, but they aren't helpful for any of the other companies in an anime production committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom