• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Manga sales are good for the manga publisher, of course, but they aren't helpful for any of the other companies in an anime production committee.
And the manga publisher isn't necessarily willing to invest more money in a second season based on their increased profits. They got what they wanted.

Edit: They are more likely to consider it if sales drop and want to advertise or they have something else to sell.

Man is the business model for the Anime Industry quite unfortunate.

Guess there's a reason why Kyoto Animation has done what they did with going from just making the anime to publishing novels they can turn into anime and producing and selling their own anime goods as well.

Voror

Season 1 is decent, but honestly the smart choice would be just reading the manga.

I have been but I always like having an anime to see things animated and hear voices with the characters and all that. I just think it's a shame this didn't get a better adaptation. I suppose a remake down the line would be nice, but don't know what the chances of that are.

Also a second season means not being able to advertise another manga/LN series.

So we should be happy if series like Monogatari and co getting a complete adaptation.

Guess there's a reason why Kyoto Animation has done what they did with going from just making the anime to publishing novels they can turn into anime and producing and selling their own anime goods as well.

Yeah KyoAni have been really smart on how they do their business. Plus compared to other Studios their scheduling is on point and they don't bust out too many anime in a year.

I have been but I always like having an anime to see things animated and hear voices with the characters and all that. I just think it's a shame this didn't get a better adaptation. I suppose a remake down the line would be nice, but don't know what the chances of that are.

You should at least try watching the two new OVAs which imo are quite well made. Also about the Remake they will most likely just adapt Tokyo Ghoul:Re to advertise the new series.

It's not ideal, but the way production committees spread out risk has allowed for niche anime to get made that would likely not have gotten made had the funding mechanism been otherwise.

I guess there are some good benefits.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Also a second season means not being able to advertise another manga/LN series.

So we should be happy if series like Monogatari and co getting a complete adaptation.
Eh, if the sales are there then it makes sense to milk the anime market as much as the manga market. They'd be leaving money on the table if they decided to stop doing Monogatari adaptations.

Eh, if the sales are there then it makes sense to milk the anime market as much as the manga market. They'd be leaving money on the table if they decided to stop doing Monogatari adaptations.

I wasn't claiming that making Monogatari is burning money.

But even a S1 is successful and made profit doesn't mean that a S2 makes more sense than trying to advertise another manga/LN in the portfolio.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wasn't claiming that making Monogatari is burning money.

But even a S1 is successful and made profit doesn't mean that a S2 makes more sense than trying to advertise another manga/LN in the portfolio.
I'm assuming there has to be some kind of line in which the anime sequel becomes a no brainer though. It's sad that 7 digit sales numbers are considered high, but that's where Monogatari seems to sit in the last few years. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers have slid since the original airing.

I'm going to assume Shaft got screwed on shows like that one that was adapted from music videos (I already forgot what it was called) and Koufuku Graffiti, so it's not like there's a reason to abandon a sure thing just to chase the potential benefits of promoting another IP.

(I assume Nisekoi is going to just supplant Monogatari when it's all over. Although I have no idea how long the manga is or how much the BDs sold)

Clov

One of my Christmas presents this year was the Blu-Ray of Is the Order a Rabbit, so I've gone and watched an episode to see how good the release looks. While Sentai's 12 episode on one disc releases are often a mixed bag, this release thankfully looks fine. I didn't spot any major issues. This makes three of Sentai's 12 episodes on one BD releases that I own, with two having good video quality (Kiniro Mosaic and this one) and one having some issues (Non Non Biyori had some noticeable aliasing). I'm hoping that this bodes well for their upcoming Shirobako releases.

I'm assuming there has to be some kind of line in which the anime sequel becomes a no brainer though. It's sad that 7 digit sales numbers are considered high, but that's where Monogatari seems to sit in the last few years. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers have slid since the original airing.

Sales have steadily declined for each entry in the Monogatari franchise, as sales tend to do, although it started from such a high peak that it's still one of the top-selling anime series. Bakemonogatari sold an average of 79,201 per volume (which combined with the 33,233 the rerelease sold makes it the second best-selling TV anime ever behind Evangelion), while the first volume of Owarimonogatari has sold 23,418.

(I assume Nisekoi is going to just supplant Monogatari when it's all over. Although I have no idea how long the manga is or how much the BDs sold)

Hahahaha, what? Nisekoi is a Weekly Shounen Jump manga published by Shueisha, while Monogatari is a light novel franchise published by Kodansha; the former can't replace the latter. (Not to mention the Nisekoi anime sold only 6,272 per volume.) At any rate, Shaft is practically owned by Aniplex now, so they'll make whatever Aniplex wants them to make.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sales have steadily declined for each entry in the Monogatari franchise, as sales tend to do, although it started from such a high peak that it's still one of the top-selling anime series. Bakemonogatari sold an average of 79,201 per volume (which combined with the 33,233 the rerelease sold makes it the second best-selling TV anime ever behind Evangelion), while the first volume of Owarimonogatari has sold 23,418.
It's kind of funny that 23k is still good though. That 14k number for the Aria box set beat out all those new releases too.

Hahahaha, what? Nisekoi is a Weekly Shounen Jump manga published by Shueisha, while Monogatari is a light novel franchise published by Kodansha; the former can't replace the latter. (Not to mention the Nisekoi anime sold only 6,272 per volume.) At any rate, Shaft is practically owned by Aniplex now, so they'll make whatever Aniplex wants them to make.
I just assumed Nisekoi is popular since it's haremshit and people seem to talk about bestwaifus a lot. lol

Clov

TBS also gets the international rights to a lot of Shaft's work (Koufuku Graffiti being the latest example I can think of), so I'd expect a few more Sentai releases of their stuff as well. Though I think Aniplex might be on the production committee of even those...

Voror

You should at least try watching the two new OVAs which imo are quite well made. Also about the Remake they will most likely just adapt Tokyo Ghoul:Re to advertise the new series.

I actually watched Jack recently and thought it was pretty good, though I haven't seen Pinto quite yet. Wouldn't that potentially be confusing given the way they did the second season? From what I've read and seen, they diverged quite a lot especially the ending.

trejo

Macross Delta 0.89

I came in with low expectations and I was still disappointed. Every song featured in this episode was garbage of the highest order. And bad enough that the CGI here is laughably awful but so is the camerawork during the dogfights, throwing tons of shit at the screen and acting all spastic in a sad attempt to wow the unsuspecting viewer to the point where every attempt at an itano circus gets drowned out by a messy barrage of flashes and shaky motion. And don't even get me started on the pilots, who are not given a modicum of establishment and as a result left me totally confused as to who was supposed to be fighting who or indeed why I should even care if the show won't even bother.

Say what you will about how Frontier turned out but at least its preview episode was leagues more promising than the sad attempts we got here; this just feels like Kawamori having to pay the bills at this point.

At least the main girl makes some funny faces, I guess?

phaze

You should also account that 200m yen is lower than US show budgets are as well. That accounts for part of the reason why we get so much anime being made.

Of course but even then, especially considering that US market can be extended easily by another ~120 million english speaking people, the difference in output seems to be quite stark. And no one stops them from dropping standards and going the Toei way ! (I'm going to blithely assume US cartoons generally look better than the lows of Toei output.)
Man is the business model for the Anime Industry quite unfortunate.

I mean, if no one ever made profit, as those tweets imply, then no one would even bother with making + 55 shows for this winter. Clearly, somehow they make ends meet. And they have for decades now.
Praised be slave labour.

If you have already read manga, then I imagine all the liberties they have taken would irk you but the action scenes are kept at pretty decent level and episode 12 is done really well.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
https://oneofepisodes.wordpress.com...r-favorite-anime-doesnt-have-a-second-season/

I hadn't seen this.

I really used to think that the anime boosting popularity of the manga and increasing manga sales at least somewhat positively impacted the anime's sales. Guess I was wrong.
If the end user can get enough out of the manga to feel like they don't need to buy the anime it maybe speaks to the quality of the anime.

If the popularity is derived primarily from what's done on the anime production side, why engage with picking up these outside properties at all?

https://oneofepisodes.wordpress.com...r-favorite-anime-doesnt-have-a-second-season/

JDqoOho.png

I hadn't seen this.

I really used to think that the anime boosting popularity of the manga and increasing manga sales at least somewhat positively impacted the anime's sales. Guess I was wrong.

Assassination classroom sales over a mln in manga/volume yet the anime sales are well non significant.

Andes Chucky Ep. 1

Christ, I can't Japanese hard enough for this series for whatever reason. It's near unintelligible gibberish. Maybe I need sleep.

I'm going to assume Shaft got screwed on shows like that one that was adapted from music videos (I already forgot what it was called)

Mekakushitty Actors, if anyone was wondering.

Theonik

Of course but even then, especially considering that US market can be extended easily by another ~120 million english speaking people, the difference in output seems to be quite stark. And no one stops them from dropping standards and going the Toei way ! (I'm going to blithely assume US cartoons generally look better than the lows of Toei output.)
Actually Japan still is generally able to produce much better looking stuff for the same amount of money if not for much less. If they tried to Toei they'd probably go in flames.

I'm going to assume Shaft got screwed on shows like that one that was adapted from music videos (I already forgot what it was called) and Koufuku Graffiti, so it's not like there's a reason to abandon a sure thing just to chase the potential benefits of promoting another IP.

I will be platinum mad if they animate more nisekoi garbage. They would do better with animating Dance Bu. Save us from more time with the gorilla.

Puruzi

Banned
Really? Haven't watched but I always thought the opposite was true.

Isn't the manga supposed to be ultra bland looking, standard harem and its only SHAFTs involvement that makes the anime worth watching at all?
The manga doesn't look bland, but the anime looks a little more interesting because of the shaft visual flairs.

The Nisekoi anime performs quite well for a Weekly Shounen adaptation.

It also gets ONAs all the time.

More like middle of the pack. Recent Shounen Jump TV anime sales:

Haikyuu (2014): 24,884
Kuroko's Basketball S3 (2015): 15,124
Gintama (2015): 6,963
Nisekoi (2014): 6,272
Nisekoi S2 (2015): 4,243
Assassination Classroom (2015): 2,627
Shokugeki no Soma (2015): 2,155

Nisekoi is shit but is it really more bland then Mekaku City Actors?

Remember that?

That show made me so angry. I was constantly thinking "alright, now surely we got the background of these guys covered enough and they can actually go do something I care about!"

But no, until the very last episode the show consisted of 80% flashbacks that were mediocre at best and then it culminated in that episode full of nonsense.

Japanese Fans Rank 2015's Best Anime Songs

1."Sugar Song to Bitter Step," Unison Square Garden (Blood Blockade Battlefront)
2."Hanamaru Pippi wa Yoiko Dake," AŌP (Mr. Osomatsu)
3."Bravely You," Lia (Charlotte)
4."Beyond the Bottom," Wake Up, Girls! (Wake Up, Girls!)
5."Shōjo Kōkyōkyoku" (Girl Symphony), Wake Up, Girls! (Wake Up, Girls!)
6."Maji Love Revolutions," ST☆RISH (Utano☆Princesama Revolutions)
7."Shine," Mamoru Miyano (Utano☆Princesama Revolutions)
8."Pride Kakumei" (Pride Revolution), CHICO with Honeyworks (Gintama)
9."Shine!!," Cinderella Project (The IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls)
10."Brave Shine," Aimer (Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-01-03/japanese-fans-rank-2015-best-anime-songs/.97138

Kekkai Sensen's Ending is too good.

Really? Haven't watched but I always thought the opposite was true.

Isn't the manga supposed to be ultra bland looking, standard harem and its only SHAFTs involvement that makes the anime worth watching at all?

The Nisekoi manga is very much a safe, standard harem, but still it is a very popular series.

Qurupeke

I heard that the worst girl will probably win in Nisekoi's manga. :/

Nisekoi is worth it only for some scenes, some reaction faces and I guess some of the characters.

TUSR

Banned
Strike Witches could improve Nisekoi.

With the whole cast dying from the Neuroi and goddesses Minna and Hanna replacing them.

Qurupeke

Well, he's talking about episode 6, that episode is really awful outside of the last two minutes.

Until episode 6, Space Dandy was pretty mediocre though. I mean, you had episode 3, which is one of the worst things I've seen animated. 6 was also boring as hell. If I didn't have GAF hyping it up and a few good episodes, I doubt I'd keep watching till S2.

I liked Akemi Hayashi's episode 5.

But in general, sure. Space Dandy hadn't had any of its really good episodes yet (the first being Eunyoung Choi's episode 9), and the general reception of the show here was quite negative, as you can see in the other posts in that thread. But it's amusing to look back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom