• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wha?

I thought the fanservice in that show was particularly gratuitous. Melon tits female leaders left and right, belly dancing teenagers and the usual beach episode because why not.

How that's supposed to be intelligent is puzzling to me.

edit: *inbefore character designer also did hentai so it's all cool somehow*

The character designer did hentai before?
qPg5Rua.png

Yep, makes sense.

Anyway, I should have been more clear. I thought the private dance scene with Ledo was an intelligent scene that built off a fanservice scene. How much that fanservice scene annoys you may vary, but it didn't bother me too much.

I love Yamauchi's sense of visual style. He has a great feeling for what will make striking shots. I made a lot of screenshots of his Mysterious Girlfriend X episode. But he's generally a poor storyteller. The way he structures his direction is very surreal and dream-like, eschewing logic in the way he floats from one scene to the next, and that makes it hard to create an extended understandable coherent narrative. Even the most well-regarded of his series, Casshern Sins, runs into this problem a lot. I think his skills are best used when there's someone else looking over his shoulder and keeping him in line.

I would agree that a lot of his best work has come as an episode director, and he can certainly tend towards the surreal for many of his episodes, but I think he often executes quite well when he does that.

Casshern Sins benefited quite a bit from the surreal nature as well as the general direction and art style the whole show took, and I think the narrative would have worked a lot less well with a more traditional direction style. Similarly, his Digimon Movie was really excellent (probably the best of the non Hosoda ones), and it really benefited from the dream-like nature of the whole movie. Yamauchi's style works best with sort of surreal stories, but when he's working on such a story, I think he's a really excellent director. And his style is unlike anyone else working in anime, which is something I really like about him.

I don't think he's one of the absolute best, but I think he's definitely very under-appreciated. He brings a very unique voice to every thing he works on. I can still vividly remember that episode of Mysterious Girlfriend X to this day because of just how unique it was, and how it was pretty much just Yamauchi distilled into 24 minutes.

My main problem with the show is I felt it was unfocused. The original had the advantage that 765Pro was a fixed number so it was easy to appeal to the fans with idol representation. Cindy Gals had the task of trying to please an audience that could be a fan of one of hundreds of characters. Towards the end they were throwing in so many cameos that it actually detracted from the story of the main cast (I'm sorry, but the final concert was an awful mess of an ending). Oh and it didn't help they repeated the whole one idol feels a bit off for a period of time arc not just from the original iM@S, the movie, but also, the very first half of this very show! There's better ways to add conflict to an idol show lads, ya don't need to keep repeating the same thing; say for example the conflict within Asterisk, a group whose story was far more interesting than New Generation.

Well this certainly doesn't encourage me to finish it!

Exalted

Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 13

Great episode, we finally see all the generals and get the story advancing.

Alright, finally through the animation expo shorts of this year. I don't feel like I understood all shorts thoroughly, like the plot in "On a Gloomy Night" but, that may be in part the short's own fault.

Those I consider decent or better are:

#08 - Tomorrow from There
#13 - Kanon
#18 - The Diary of Ochibi
#25 - Hammerhead
#26 - Conte (Hitman) 1989
#28 - Endless Night
#29 - Bureau of Proto Society
#31 - Girl

Narag

☆☆☆☆☆

i thought madp was doing it

im taking a break from OTs until Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!!

☆☆☆☆☆

you might hit him up on twitter then as I think he's likely forgotten.

tuffy

A lovely tale of societal integration that would have been better if the aliens had been outright forgotten as people get hung up on them.
But removing the aliens from the story entirely wouldn't work at all.
There needs to be something powerful enough to keep Pinion from raiding the site by himself. There needs to be some strong motivator for Ledo to leave Amy and the Gargantia. And discovering the aliens' origins (preceded by pulling rank on Chamber) gives Ledo doubts about blindly following the rules of the Galactic Alliance, which is paid off in the next arc.

What's odd is that the only consequences about dealing with them are unintended.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 13:

Holy fuck, who thought giving Sengoku a second arc was a good idea?

Taruranto

Sephiroth? #22

I see you have not played FFVII Ushio.

You know, they always talk about the "successors for the Beast Spear", but they never elaborate on how that supposed to happen. Did the Sect even know the Spear was sitting in Ushio basement? Because, how were they hoping to inherit the spear?

tuffy

Well, yeah, if that's the only route you think it could take, the aliens were essential.
I'm not sure how you'd get conflict and character growth otherwise. All the social integration stuff is good, but forcing a choice between cultures (triggered by the aliens) gives it a dramatic payoff it wouldn't have otherwise.

John Blade

Man...where can you start with this show. I guess the 1st thing I can say about this show is definitely not for everyone to go watch it as it doesn't follow the similar path of a sci-fi anime at that time. In most anime we watch, they have some sort of genre it try to follow and most audience will set the right mindset or mood when going into the show.

For RahXephon, the mood is very different and it's better to keep your expectations to low or none when going into this show. This isn't a mecha anime as it's the least important aspect in the show even though they is some mecha battle sprinkle hear and there to get the audience interested. Majority of the story when I watching is very heavily character driven to the point the pacing of the show is very slow and sometime come to crawl. Yes, they is some battle scene in the entire show but you either see them mostly in the beginning or as you get closer to the end.

For most audience, RahXephon have quite a similar feel of Evangelion which is true. The parallels between this two show have some similar idea. Both have a young male lead who was force in a situation where they need to pilot a mech for an organization to fight against an enemies they don't know much. They both have an older female character who protects and shelters the main character during the show. Both take place in a time where Tokyo manage to come out of some sort of post destruction and they become the last line of deference to protect against the alien threat which try to destroy Tokyo. Even with this similarity, RahXephon isn't like Evangelion. It doesn't dealt into psychological tone with a mix of Christian undertones which Evangelion do. It more dealt more into the drama with the people around the main character and the romances between them.

As for the story, I won't synopsis the entire story as you can find this on wiki but I will say the story isn't too simple to follow and linear but at the same time, it isn't too complicated. As you watch the show, they're quite a few elements of mystery which get very confusing or you might get lost if you don't pay attention. This mystery will eventually explained or resolved if you keep following what happen during the show. The story didn't give much away from the start and how they information is revealed is good.

The animation look too simple and plain when you start watching. It feel flat and the color is solid type which you don't see too often in most anime. This grow on me quite well that it didn't brother me as I continue watching the show. In a way, you can say it might be the strength of the show as this simple look does make the show look unique by itself.

The biggest strength I say for the show is the character development. Majority of the character in this show is developed well in the story (except for the few who could've been develop a bit more) and feel believable for the most part. The only issue I have with some of the character is I wish their elaborated more on the character motives on some of them as it was difficult to understand the reason for some.

Overall, I kinda like the show but did get confuse during the process of watching it. I guess not in the right mind make it harder to watch for a bit and also my work kinda postpones watching the show for a while. Still, I finish the show and would recommend to people to have a very open mind going in and like story and character development more than the action scene as this show is literally that.

e_i

So, there's a anime coming about singing statues? And it has an all star male cast (Ono, Sugita, Fukuyama, and some other dude.).

Ascheroth

Sephiroth? #22

I see you have not played FFVII Ushio.

You know, they always talk about the "successors for the Beast Spear", but they never elaborate on how that supposed to happen. Did the Sect even know the Spear was sitting in Ushio basement? Because, how were they hoping to inherit the spear?

Well Ushios dad new all about the basement and the spear being there, if I remember correctly. Considering he's part of that sect I'm pretty sure they had to know.

So, there's a anime coming about singing statues? And it has an all star male cast (Ono, Sugita, Fukuyama, and some other dude.).

Sekkou Boys, yep.

Qurupeke

I finished the Kizu book, I guess I'll have to rewatch a lot of scenes now... I'm really surprised Shaft could pull a lot of things after Bake without Kizu.

Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 13:

Holy fuck, who thought giving Sengoku a second arc was a good idea?

Ahahaha.

e_i

Knights of Sidonia season 1

Awesome. Great, blood pumping space fights, personal drama. Hoshijiro
got fucked over. Almost killed, then killed, then turned to a alien clone who then disappears.

So, they have missiles that can destroy a planet? Death Star, eat your heart out. And why the fuck is there a TALKING BEAR? Is she an alien? Or some animal/human hybrid?

Qurupeke

I do not see myself agreeing to this because this arc sucks the big meat missile thus far.

Did you finish it? I'm not sure which one episode 13 is, because there are a few recaps. If not, you'll have to finish it before you have a complete understanding. You don't have to like Nadeko in this arc, it's the opposite. I have a soft spot for this arc, just because it managed to surprise me and subvert my expectations.

John Blade

Welp....I am off watching The Garden of Words and then go back watching Great Teacher Onizuka or Sakura Wars TV. Look like I might get quite a few of my anime done this month.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
By the way who's doing the OT?
Well it all went a bit quiet after 'the incident' but I have worked on some of the graphics as that was the last instruction left. So if people note down what the anticipated shows are and give a decent description of them. I can get it up tomorrow.

Well this certainly doesn't encourage me to finish it!
To be honest I had high hopes for the show which is why I'm rather critical of it. I would still recommend watching it and making your own mind up. It's not a bad show, the problem was it was coming after one of the greatest idol shows of all time, Xenoglossia.

Well it all went a bit quiet after 'the incident' but I have worked on some of the graphics as that was the last instruction left. So if people note down what the anticipated shows are and give a decent description of them. I can get it up tomorrow.

Oh, great. I'll send you a PM in an hour or two.

Cornbread78

GAF-CHAN 2.0!

Erased:(Boku dake ga Inai Machi)

Struggling manga author Satoru Fujinuma is beset by his fear to express himself. However, he has a supernatural ability of being forced to prevent deaths and catastrophes by being sent back in time before the incident occurred, repeating time until the accident is prevented. One day, he gets involved in an accident that has him framed as a murderer. Desperate to save the victim, he sends himself back in time only to find himself as a grade-schooler one month before fellow classmate Kayo Hinazuki went missing. Satoru now embarks on a new quest: to save Kayo and solve the mystery behind her disappearance.

I think I'll put together an OT for this one if there is enough interest.

Hamst3r

What's the best Idol show to start with? Love Live? Idolm@ster? AKB0048?

I've never watched one, so I was gonna start with Love Live, but if there's a better starting point, I'd love to know.

I've never watched one, so I was gonna start with Love Live, but if there's a better starting point, I'd love to know.

Shonen Hollywood is the best idol anime out there. No point wasting time with lesser frivolities.

The Big O 01

Pretty great first episode. I like everything about this. Bruce Wayne Roger Smith is a cool dude, Dorothy is an awesome robot lady and The Big O itself looks dope even though its big arms are kinda goofy, but if it's gonna have rocket elbows then that's fine.

I chose to watch the dub because Steve Blum and it's actually a great dub. Well, besides Megadeuce being pronounced like doos and not day-oos, so now when anyone says Megadeuce I'm gonna assume they mean they're gonna go take a huge shit.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

iDOLM@STER is the gold standard for idol shows and the most vanilla. And no you don't need to have played the games to understand it. I've still yet to play one of the original iM@S games.

Love Live is based on a fictional premise of high school idols and treats it more like a after school club activity so it doesn't really touch on any of the industry parts of idolism. But it's one of the best character based of the lot.

AKB0048 is pretty out there. Only attempt this when you're off the deep end.

wonzo

Banned
wug zoo > puchimas > shonen hollywood = wug >> imas >>> akb0048 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>turd >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>love live

There's a new season of Assassination Classroom coming!? Awesome.

My limited time prevents me from finishing Code Geass S2 anytime soon. Plus I got these watchbets I have to account for!

Cornbread78

Utawarerumono ep.13
Well, that is a great way to start the second cour. They are now quickly moving along the story , which is surprising, since they took 10 episodes to do so last season. Either way, it's a big step forward and really upped the interest in the series going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom