• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What a strange, interesting show. Way more character based psychology than I was expecting and I didn't think I was that invested in it.

Then Episode 19 hit. And I don't think I've stopped crying since that day.

Perfect Blue has a critical lack of bad. That movie is fucking 10/10.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
oh yeah, about making the new thread: I..............forgot about it.

8LeY5rc.png

Looks like BGBW's got us covered, though.

John Blade

What a strange, interesting show. Way more character based psychology than I was expecting and I didn't think I was that invested in it.

Then Episode 19 hit. And I don't think I've stopped crying since that day.

Yea....that episode is very sad as the main character didn't know what he was doing till it's too late. A very powerful episode in emotional side.

Now that I let it sink a bit, when everything click in the end, it kinda blew my mind in so many ways.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll probably watch Tokyo Godfathers last then. I guess I'll find out which I like better between Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers.

Quasar

Starting my year with a backlog watch.

Honey & Clover 01 - Damn. Hagumi looks like a 10 year old. And its not just that she's short. Nice fun bunch of art school students though.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I have a question about GATE and I wasn't sure where else to ask it.

I know it's getting another 12 episodes, but what are the odds it gets more? I started watching it last night and a few typically-JeffZero-anime quibbles aside, I'm digging it. I hear the manga/light novels go well beyond the order of 24 episodes, will we ever see the rest?

I have a question about GATE and I wasn't sure where else to ask it.

I know it's getting another 12 episodes, but what are the odds it gets more? I started watching it last night and a few typically-JeffZero-anime quibbles aside, I'm digging it. I hear the manga/light novels go well beyond the order of 24 episodes, will we ever see the rest?

I think its unlikely, novels didnt really send it to the top of the charts, disc sales are average.

Mouryou no Hako 14

A BD special which is basically a recap with a little bit of new animation to frame things from the perspective of a side character. Disposable, but I did like how the sequence over the ending credits was done.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Well maybe sales will pickup. In any case you still have the manga/novels. Even the manga is passed the point where I expect the anime to end this season.

I'll be honest, I've never actually read a manga. Wait, no, that isn't true. I read Rurouni Kenshin's third arc ages ago. But I guess it's never too late to start.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 14:

Monogatari may have hit lower more depraved points but they were never this dull and trite as Sengoku is just the fucking worst.

ibyea

Banned
Mouryou no Hako 14

A BD special which is basically a recap with a little bit of new animation to frame things from the perspective of a side character. Disposable, but I did like how the sequence over the ending credits was done.

Yeah it was nothing special. Although it did allow me to see details I had blurry memories of.

Cornbread78

Starting my year with a backlog watch.

Honey & Clover 01 - Damn. Hagumi looks like a 10 year old. And its not just that she's short. Nice fun bunch of art school students though.

Oh man, I went through this journey this year. If you like drama, this is a good one, but it was a jes a while to get into the meat of it. Good stuff though.

Don't worry, there's no loli shit with her. They are all young adults and that is the cool part of the show.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 15:

For the record I still hate that arc, oh god do I abhor it for being so boring up til this episode but ironically I rather like the end result and I look forward to the advancement of things.

If anyone wants to watch this, it actually is streaming on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/towanoquon

I'm not American so this doesn't help me much.

Cross Game, not Code Geass, lol. How the..

And I can't read. I can't believe I didn't notice that at all.

ShinRPGamer was just parsing way too fast through your post. Cross Game is a great show that shouldn't be confused with anything else (other than Touch, I guess)

Pretty much. I haven't seen Cross Game so strike my statement from the record.

duckroll

You're free to watch whatever you feel like, of course, but the impression I got from everyone including you when Towa no Quon came out is that it ended up being a big pile of nothing. If you have a hankering for BONES superheroes, why not go back to Skull Man, which is actually totally legit.

I've already rewatched Skull Man 2-3 times over the years. Incidentally, the director of Towa no Quon is also the director of Skull Man! I mean it's true that the OVA got a pretty bad rep when it first came out because expectations were through the roof given the opening action sequence. The show didn't really keep up with that until the finale, so there was backlash. I think it will be interesting to revisit it given time and distance without the same hangups.

Shouta

There was Gargantia talk and I missed it?

It's a great show. It's just that episode 1 throws you for a loop because it's presenting something very different than what the rest of the episodes are about. It's a fish out of water story but not done for comedy so it touches upon all the more serious elements of that story like culture clash, expectations, shock etc.

It manages to get everything done within 13 episodes and feel satisfying ending which a remarkably tough feat to do for any sort of show.

duckroll

It manages to get everything done within 13 episodes and feel satisfying ending which a remarkably tough feat to do for any sort of show.

Did you watch the OVAs? They continued the story in a sort of unexpected way, and introduced some really interesting elements that expanded the setting and was opening the way for the second season which was in pre-production at the time. Then there were sponsor issues and the entire sequel got canned, so they have to repurpose the scripts into two novels instead. >_<

Shouta

Did you watch the OVAs? They continued the story in a sort of unexpected way, and introduced some really interesting elements that expanded the setting and was opening the way for the second season which was in pre-production at the time. Then there were sponsor issues and the entire sequel got canned, so they have to repurpose the scripts into two novels instead. >_<

Yeah, I saw the OVAs. Really good stuff but I'd consider it extra on top of it all really. The first season being self-contained and so well done makes feel content with the show even if I'm a bit sad that we aren't getting another season. Gargantia is definitely the best of the water world anime I've seen over the years, at least off the top of my head.

I've already rewatched Skull Man 2-3 times over the years. Incidentally, the director of Towa no Quon is also the director of Skull Man! I mean it's true that the OVA got a pretty bad rep when it first came out because expectations were through the roof given the opening action sequence. The show didn't really keep up with that until the finale, so there was backlash. I think it will be interesting to revisit it given time and distance without the same hangups.

Oh yeah, he took over after the original director passed away, right? Well, I might watch it someday, but there are other BONES anime that take priority.

Quasar

Oh man, I went through this journey this year. If you like drama, this is a good one, but it was a jes a while to get into the meat of it. Good stuff though.

Don't worry, there's no loli shit with her. They are all young adults and that is the cool part of the show.

Right. Been spending my lazy Sunday afternoon watching a bunch of episodes. Though I'm easy, its gotten me to tear up already. Much more emotional show than I expected.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Between the nakama, the sniper maids, and the bromance, Hannibal was the best anime all year.

Gargantia is interesting in that it managed to have an intelligent fanservice scene arguably, but still had that terrible scene with transgender men.

Christ that scene was awful.
So there's a reason for me to avoid the show besides the hentai character designs? Cool.

duckroll

Oh yeah, he took over after the original director passed away, right? Well, I might watch it someday, but there are other BONES anime that take priority.

I'm not even sure if the original director ever got into production for the show. Mori definitely did all the heavily lifting as far as direction and storyboarding goes. Well, other than Nakamura carrying all the action with storyboard, supervision, and animation on the first and last episodes.

jonjonaug

Gargantia was a pretty cool show. The most annoying thing about it is that it was a 7 or 8 out of 10 anime when it could have very easily been a 9 out of 10 if some things were changed just slightly. As far as art/world design goes it's practically unmatched by anything in the last five years. I have the production art books for this show and the attention to detail that went into producing it is mind blowing for a modern one cour show. There's about 300 pages of character design work (even the most minor background characters without any lines have full designs) followed by 100 pages of mechanical design (mostly various appliances and tools seen in the show) in one book. The other book has about 100 pages of mechanical designs (Chamber and his sibling units along with the mecha used by the crew of Gargantia) along with about 300 pages of design work for the ships. There's also some additional setting details included, like the cipher used for the Galactic Alliance language and some things not seen directly in the show. Together they're my overall favorite anime related artbooks outside of the Gekidan Inu Curry book for Madoka Rebellion's Production Note.

Personally, I blame interference on the production side (Bandai) for Gargantia not being as good as it could have been. Some fun facts about the production include Melty and Saya (Amy's fanservice friends) not being in the original script outline, and Urobuchi just straight up not working on the fanservice scenes at all. I own the Japanese BDs for the TV show and the OVAs (English subs were included in the JP release), and I'm really disappointed that season 2 plans fell through and the planned material was turned into a book instead. There were some interesting plot hooks set up in the sequel OVAs, and I would have liked to see more of the day to day life on Gargantia, something the TV show didn't have time to do. I am happy, at least, that the OVAs included a scene of Ledo salvaging from the depths, as the aquatic mecha not getting nearly enough screentime was my biggest disappointment with the TV series.

EDIT: It's also a real shame that the director hasn't had the opportunity to direct anything else since Gargantia. He did a good job.

Samurai Champloo 1

Well that's a first episode alright. It's got my attention and now I have something to look forward to on Toonami after Sentai hour.

Taruranto

The Big O 01

Pretty great first episode. I like everything about this. Bruce Wayne Roger Smith is a cool dude, Dorothy is an awesome robot lady and The Big O itself looks dope even though its big arms are kinda goofy, but if it's gonna have rocket elbows then that's fine.

I chose to watch the dub because Steve Blum and it's actually a great dub. Well, besides Megadeuce being pronounced like doos and not day-oos, so now when anyone says Megadeuce I'm gonna assume they mean they're gonna go take a huge shit.

You are in for a ride. Just don't expect anything from the main plot.

Also S1>>>>S2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom