• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers Endgame (SPOILER THREAD)

lucius

I liked it but think Infinity War is better, hats off to RDJ I never thought I would like Ironman as much as or more than Batman, Superman or Spiderman but I do mostly because he made Ironman great fun . Time for a good Ironman or Superman game to come out, Captain Marvel needs one too just don't give her that ugly haircut. Short hair is fine but why make her look butch .

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just saw the movie again for the second time and the feels hit me all over again when all of the portals started opening. Such a great way to end this part of the saga. This time I stayed until the very end to hear the Iron Man hammer sound effects.

I wished they had given a rematch between Strange and Maw with Strange moping the floor with Maw this time before moving on to holding back the flood. I feel some of the following scenes could have been removed/shortened to give extra time in the 3rd act to show some extra fight moments:

1. The finger football between Tony and Nebula.
2. Quill's dance routine with Nebula and Rhodes watching.
3. Jokes about America's ass.
4. Shortened discussion between Tony and Howard.
5. The cheeseburger scene at the end between happy and Tony's kid.
6. Fortnite noobmaster scene with Thor.
7. Shortened scenes in Asguard with Thor, Frigg and Rocket.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
For those wondering how Strange got Everyone there... Remember he saw 14 million possible outcomes with the time Stone... To ensure everyone came .. he probably told Wong 5 years prior to get every wizard to portal these specific people at these locations to join the fight at Avengers mansion.

cryptoadam

Banned
You just gotta go with everyone showing up. It was my big peeve too, like how everyone knew Thanos was there 10 minutes after he destroyed the Avengers HQ.

But its like the whole female power scene. How did all those ladies get to that one place at the same time in that giant battle? Just gotta accept it.

Turn you brain off and don't ask questions or the whole movie falls apart. It won't hold up over the years. You can go back and watch Avengers 1 (which I did last week) and it still holds up, actually even better in retrospect.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I wished they had given a rematch between Strange and Maw with Strange moping the floor with Maw this time before moving on to holding back the flood. I feel some of the following scenes could have been removed/shortened to give extra time in the 3rd act to show some extra fight moments:

1, 4 and 5 are my favorite scenes in the movie -_-

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Sorry but that video made no sense. Armor + a big sword doesn't even equal one Infinity Stone. We just need to admit this was a badly written movie and move on.

And no, he wasn't stronger in Endgame. He seemed strong because Thor was fat, and Tony was old. Scarlet Witch was still able to mess him up pretty good.
Scarlett witch could beat Tony, and possibly thor, straight up though (1v1). I am convinced she is the most powerful character in the mcu.

Her issue is that she is kind of the definition of a glass canon.

Last edited:

FireFly

You just gotta go with everyone showing up. It was my big peeve too, like how everyone knew Thanos was there 10 minutes after he destroyed the Avengers HQ.
Dr. Strange knew because the time stone showed him exactly what was going to happen. And being able to teleport instantly across the universe is a help when organising logistics.

cryptoadam

Banned
Dr. Strange knew because the time stone showed him exactly what was going to happen. And being able to teleport instantly across the universe is a help when organising logistics.

So he knew the exact date and time that it was going to happen? He saw the 5 year time jump and knew on Tuesday the 18th at 6:45 PM Thanos was going to start a giant war?

I can buy he saw the future and knew there would be a giant battle, but I can't really buy that he knew the exact date/time down to almost the minute to show up. Ohh and if he knew why did he wait till Thanos was kicking ass to show up, why not a few minutes earlier? I guess he knew it would make a great dramatic entrance for him to show up then, almost as if he read the script LOL.

Look I just turn off my brain and accept the movie. It was worth it for me to see cap wield the Hammer, say Avengers Assemble, and I am Iron Man lines. Seeing the payoff to Cap and Tony's stories and the final battle made the movie worthwhile and allowed me to suspend my disbelief and just go with whatever the Russo's threw at me.

FireFly

So he knew the exact date and time that it was going to happen? He saw the 5 year time jump and knew on Tuesday the 18th at 6:45 PM Thanos was going to start a giant war?

I can buy he saw the future and knew there would be a giant battle, but I can't really buy that he knew the exact date/time down to almost the minute to show up. Ohh and if he knew why did he wait till Thanos was kicking ass to show up, why not a few minutes earlier? I guess he knew it would make a great dramatic entrance for him to show up then, almost as if he read the script LOL.

Look I just turn off my brain and accept the movie. It was worth it for me to see cap wield the Hammer, say Avengers Assemble, and I am Iron Man lines. Seeing the payoff to Cap and Tony's stories and the final battle made the movie worthwhile and allowed me to suspend my disbelief and just go with whatever the Russo's threw at me.
Well, Dr. Strange was dusted until Hulk made the snap. So he just needed to know that as soon as he came back he had to teleport everyone to the Avengers base. I don't think it is crazy that it took a few minutes to teleport to everyone and bring them together, considering people are already complaining that he did it too quickly...

I get that there are plenty of things you just have to accept, like Captain Marvel being AWOL, Iron Man being out for just enough time to give Cap his "moment", all the female characters happening to come together. But I think the Russos did put some planning behind a lot of the core plot points.

cryptoadam

Banned
Well, Dr. Strange was dusted until Hulk made the snap. So he just needed to know that as soon as he came back he had to teleport everyone to the Avengers base. I don't think it is crazy that it took a few minutes to teleport to everyone and bring them together, considering people are already complaining that he did it too quickly...

I get that there are plenty of things you just have to accept, like Captain Marvel being AWOL, Iron Man being out for just enough time to give Cap his "moment", all the female characters happening to come together. But I think the Russos did put some planning behind a lot of the core plot points.

This is where I disagree, I don't think the Russo's put planning behind most of the plot points. I think they had a big idea to Empire Strikes Back Infinity War dust everyone. Made a shocking and sad moment, but it wrote themselves into a corner.

And to get out of that corner they had to come up with this crazy time travel plot. Its the same reason why there was a useless 5 year time jump. Because they wanted to give Tony something to make him conflicted about undoing the snap, his daughter. It wouldn't have been as emotional if she was a baby so 5 year time jump it is. Isn't it going to be odd when that gay guy who went on his first date, his first gay husband is un dusted and he has a new lover LOL?

Not taking away from the movie, the end battle and a lot of the fan service moments made it a decent enough time, but its below IW and Avengers 1, just edging out 2.

IMO I think it would of been better off to have Thanos get the time stone on Titan, end IW 1 with no snap and then go into essentially the final battle of Endgame. The whole dusting and time travel stuff was kinda pointless (outside of putting our hero's at their lowest points) since in the end everyone was undusted anyways.

Xiaoki

Endgame domestic total $770.8 million, worldwide total $2.61 billion

Surpassed Avatar's domestic total and fastest movie to surpass $2.5 billion

pramod

Banned
This is where I disagree, I don't think the Russo's put planning behind most of the plot points. I think they had a big idea to Empire Strikes Back Infinity War dust everyone. Made a shocking and sad moment, but it wrote themselves into a corner.

And to get out of that corner they had to come up with this crazy time travel plot. Its the same reason why there was a useless 5 year time jump. Because they wanted to give Tony something to make him conflicted about undoing the snap, his daughter. It wouldn't have been as emotional if she was a baby so 5 year time jump it is. Isn't it going to be odd when that gay guy who went on his first date, his first gay husband is un dusted and he has a new lover LOL?

Not taking away from the movie, the end battle and a lot of the fan service moments made it a decent enough time, but its below IW and Avengers 1, just edging out 2.

IMO I think it would of been better off to have Thanos get the time stone on Titan, end IW 1 with no snap and then go into essentially the final battle of Endgame. The whole dusting and time travel stuff was kinda pointless (outside of putting our hero's at their lowest points) since in the end everyone was undusted anyways.

The snap could have been undone just like it was in the comics if Thanos didnt destroy the stones. Maybe their plan was to do this time travel crap all along as a way to introduce the multiverse. Who knows.

For those wondering how Strange got Everyone there... Remember he saw 14 million possible outcomes with the time Stone... To ensure everyone came .. he probably told Wong 5 years prior to get every wizard to portal these specific people at these locations to join the fight at Avengers mansion.
I just assumed in the 10 minutes from when Hulk snapped to the time everyone portaled in that Strange just got in touch with everyone,.

FireFly

I think the reason they didn't do this is they wanted to respect and be true to the source material. In the comics, Thanos is almost unstoppable even without any infinity stones. We saw that on Titan, when he got a spaceship dropped on him, and in Endgame, where he tanks Thor and Iron Man's attacks with seeming ease, and "wins" at the end. Add in 5/6 infinity stones, and he should just wipe the floor with everyone, like you see him do in IW. I think the appeal of Thanos as a character is that, based on his power level, he should crush the Avengers. And to pay that off I think you have to have him winning, at least at first. And once he gets the complete gauntlet, it makes him a God (whether he chooses to dust everything or not), so it's really hard to come back from that without introducing something like time travel.

The problem I have with the first Avengers film (and the sequel) is that great as the action sequences are, there is never any doubt as to what is going to happen. There is no real tension, because the whole purpose of the film is to set up the Avengers as the victors. That's why it is super cool to have a film like IW, where Thanos gets to be the victor, rather than just a throwaway one movie villain.

The snap could have been undone just like it was in the comics if Thanos didnt destroy the stones. Maybe their plan was to do this time travel crap all along as a way to introduce the multiverse. Who knows.
Both movies were written at the same time and Kevin Feige suggested time travel and asked if it could be worked in. So it seems like it was part of the plan from the early stages.

cryptoadam

Banned
I think the reason they didn't do this is they wanted to respect and be true to the source material. In the comics, Thanos is almost unstoppable even without any infinity stones. We saw that on Titan, when he got a spaceship dropped on him, and in Endgame, where he tanks Thor and Iron Man's attacks with seeming ease, and "wins" at the end. Add in 5/6 infinity stones, and he should just wipe the floor with everyone, like you see him do in IW. I think the appeal of Thanos as a character is that, based on his power level, he should crush the Avengers. And to pay that off I think you have to have him winning, at least at first. And once he gets the complete gauntlet, it makes him a God (whether he chooses to dust everything or not), so it's really hard to come back from that without introducing something like time travel.

The problem I have with the first Avengers film (and the sequel) is that great as the action sequences are, there is never any doubt as to what is going to happen. There is no real tension, because the whole purpose of the film is to set up the Avengers as the victors. That's why it is super cool to have a film like IW, where Thanos gets to be the victor, rather than just a throwaway one movie villain.

I think they could of accomplished that without a dusting. Have Thanos maybe kill Widow to drive it home. I think there could of been a way to show Thanos winning without the dusting. The dusting was for shock value and emotional pull. But in the end everyone was undusted so it didn't really have any lasting impact. The only death really was Widow's since Gamora is alive again as her past self.

Don't get me wrong the dusting was emotional and a huge shock and it did what it was supposed to do. But with seeing both movies I could take IW and end it at the Titan fight with Thanos getting all the stones. Cut the end fight in Wakanda, skip over the time jump and Ant Mans time travel plan and go into the end fight at Avengers HQ and that would of been the perfect movie. Wakanda fight was cool, but was upstaged by the biggerer and badderer fight at Avengers HQ.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So phase 4...we got

Strange 2
Guardians 3
The Eternals
Black Panther 2
Cap Marvel 2 or Miss Marvel
Ant Man 3
Black Widow Prequel

Pretty solid. But it aint gonna be the same without Tony and Cap. Xmen cant come soon enough.

Xiaoki

So phase 4...we got

Strange 2
Guardians 3
The Eternals
Black Panther 2
Cap Marvel 2 or Miss Marvel
Ant Man 3
Black Widow Prequel

Pretty solid. But it aint gonna be the same without Tony and Cap. Xmen cant come soon enough.
Thunderbolts is also heavily rumored.

Kevin Feige has said that X-men will not be a part of Phase 4.

plushyp

The more I think about Endgame the more annoyed I get at certain decisions made especially those around Steve Rogers. That America ass nonsense seems like it was lifted straight from the Richard Grayson/Nightwing comics from DC as there was no reference to it in the earlier movies and came out of nowhere. Then his choice to live with Peggy at the end and just appearing on the bench like that which ignores the rules of time travel set by the film. And this is something that even the writers and directors have a different opinion on whether it is this timeline or another one. Extremely few time travel films actually follow their own rules.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I can't remember who (maybe I saw it on Reddit) but someone pointed that with point 1, Tony let Nebula win so she could feel good about herself. This is noticeable when Tony flicks Ant-Man later in the film with perfect precision.

As for point 4 and 7, both characters having closure with their parents? They are perfect scenes and for me were very emotional.
Cheeseburger scene is also a very emotional scene and a great call back to Iron Man 1. Seeing Happy's facial reaction when Morgan says she wants a cheeseburger just seals that scene for me.

Crypto, they didn't write themselves in to a corner. They shot the 2 films together, they thought out the whole story line before filming started. If not the whole story than the majority of the story. There are no plot holes.

Strange knew the future and he knew exactly when and how it would happen. Sorcerer Supremes are extremely powerful, Strange could have very easily opened a hundred portals to talk to who he needed to talk to to get everyone organised for battle. Not only to talk to but he could open direct portals for unprepared soldiers to get to exactly where they needed to go to be prepared. So we are actually talking about thousands of potential portals created by Strange.

The Ancient One also knew the future, she knew exactly when Stephen Strange would show up on her door step in Nepal. She told the Hulk that he was too early for Doctor Strange. She knew every little thing that would happen in her time line up until her death. The Ancient One did not know about future Hulk arriving in her reality though, because it's outside the realms of her reality. What I mean by that is present Ancient One of 2023 (who died in 2016 or so) never had to deal with Hulk from the future, that is the standard time line, no future Hulk. And it's the same time line/reality that 2012 Ancient One would be dealing with, no future Hulk. When Hulk shows up in 2012 he/they basically broke reality and changed reality.

The more I think about Endgame the more annoyed I get at certain decisions made especially those around Steve Rogers. That America ass nonsense seems like it was lifted straight from the Richard Grayson/Nightwing comics from DC as there was no reference to it in the earlier movies and came out of nowhere. Then his choice to live with Peggy at the end and just appearing on the bench like that which ignores the rules of time travel set by the film. And this is something that even the writers and directors have a different opinion on whether it is this timeline or another one. Extremely few time travel films actually follow their own rules.

To be honest I don't know what the writers are smoking. They wrote the movie. They know that time travel in this film is basically alternate realities, They know the past doesn't affect the present/future.
I can't even begin to understand how they would have a different interpretation to the Russo's.
Banner/Hulk says in the film that Steve fly by his time stamp and that is why he wasn't on the teleport pad. What that means exactly is up for debate but to me it just means he landed somewhere else in 2023, at the bench rather than on the pad. When know they can travel from 2012 to 1970 without the pad anyone so it's not necessary.
I can understand them wanting to leave some things vague so they can decide later what exact direction they want to take for the overarching story.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned

1. Yes, because it went nowhere character wise.
2. Yes
3. Eh, didn’t take up screen time that wasn’t already there for something else.
4. Nope. Too important considering the ending.
5. Nope.
6. Yes. Stupid scene all the clownnite fans kept bringing up.
7. Nope. Actually think this could have been longer honestly.

But yes Strange and Hulk got the short end of the fight stick. That shoulda went down differently. I do agree with you there.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
BTW can we all agree that Thanos will be remembered as one of cinema's classic villains? I'm talking terminator/predator level. Can't think of anything that comes close in the last 10 years since Heath Ledger's Joker.

kunonabi

BTW can we all agree that Thanos will be remembered as one of cinema's classic villains? I'm talking terminator/predator level. Can't think of anything that comes close in the last 10 years since Heath Ledger's Joker.
Eh, if we were just talking IW maybe. He sucked in Endgame enough to pretty much take him out of that conversation completely for me.

Thurible

this movie really does suck, they should have ended on infinity war
Though I liked Endgame, I think keeping half of the characters dead would have been an interesting move and a bold way to reboot the universe with the newer characters leading the way. Also, though this is a fantasy/science fiction movie series, I think the idea of resurrection is odd and a cheap way to bring back characters usually. However it is certainly in line with the comic books where death isn't permanent. I like the ideal of the heroic sacrifice and martyrdom. Some of the deaths in this film certainly lived up to this ideal except Cap ironically (He is usually the biggest moral compass, and though he never died he is effectively out of commission as an old man) who decided to live out most of his days in another time to live the life he never got to have. Though he certainly deserves it, what he did was kind of selfish as the world now has one less hero.

May I ask what you didn't like about the film?

Barsinister

Banned
So much weeping in the movie by the characters, I thought there might be a flood coming. So sad, we can't pick up garbage for five years. The tears in our eyes get in the way. I swear I thought I saw the rat crying too.

daveonezero

Banned
all I can say is MCU was an example of how 10 years could mean something and then GOT shows how it can mean nothing. It was very satisfying to me. Very well done and a great service to the fans. A huge task to take on and they pulled it off on the whole.

So much weeping in the movie by the characters, I thought there might be a flood coming. So sad, we can't pick up garbage for five years. The tears in our eyes get in the way. I swear I thought I saw the rat crying too.
Yeah that was a little weird. I mean I'm sure it would be traumatic but trauma shared by everyone is probably easier to get over as you could literally relate to anyone. Everyone lost someone. And shit you can play baseball anyone could go to the majors and play most likely. Start your own damn team and watch them.

Last edited:

Romulus

Finally got around to seeing it. It is now that I understand I could less about most of these characters. I wanted thanos to win and kill at least half of them.
The end fight was underwhelming and corny looking. I get it, but the epic charge seemed so fake to me. Of course, everyone shows up through portals ready to fight. Giant ant man looked silly. Fat thor wore out its welcome. I really like the first movie too, so it's a shame that the series never regained traction.

Top Bottom