• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers Endgame (SPOILER THREAD)

cryptoadam

Banned
I’m still confused by how powerful base level no gems Thanos is. Is he like a more intelligent version of the hulk? Is he closer to Captain Marvel in power? Right now I imagine he’s Tony Stark smart and Hulk strong.

Also it feels like his personality was completely different in endgame then IW. Like not even the same character.

Because it wasn't the same character LOL. This was Thanos from 2 years in the past before he even got all the stones.

As far as Thanos I think he is basically one of the strongest out there, he beat the crap out of Hulk without all the stones in IW. Just got to accept he is the big bad that is super strong and can kick everyones ass.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Because it wasn't the same character LOL. This was Thanos from 2 years in the past before he even got all the stones.

As far as Thanos I think he is basically one of the strongest out there, he beat the crap out of Hulk without all the stones in IW. Just got to accept he is the big bad that is super strong and can kick everyones ass.

Yes 2 years earlier Thanos. But I mean his overal disposition seemed completely different. IW Thanos was calm, collected, and didn’t really seem “angry” at all, he was a force out to do a job, where as this Thanos seemed just evil.

cryptoadam

Banned
Yes 2 years earlier Thanos. But I mean his overal disposition seemed completely different. IW Thanos was calm, collected, and didn’t really seem “angry” at all, he was a force out to do a job, where as this Thanos seemed just evil.

Thats probably because he finds out he is killed by the Avengers, that would piss me off and put me in a bad mood if I knew I was going to die, and also he knew his plan didn't really work. He thought he would destroy half the universe and everything would be great but instead people couldn't let go of the past and he realized that he had to destroy all life not just 50% and restart from scratch so no one remembers the old times.

Thanos was way more interesting in IW and the fact that he was gone for like 80% of Endgame made it feel like there was something missing. He kinda stole the show in IW and in Endgame he was relegated to final boss fight.

chaos789

Banned

It was actually 4 years in the past. As Guardians was 2014 and IW was 2018.

I saw it the other day with my wife and we both liked it, but agreed we need to see it again as a lot does happen.

I rather enjoyed watching Scarlett Witch kick the shit out of Thanos though. Was great seeing the MCU finally show some of her true power. Much better than Captain "No Personality" Marvel.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
It was actually 4 years in the past. As Guardians was 2014 and IW was 2018.

I saw it the other day with my wife and we both liked it, but agreed we need to see it again as a lot does happen.

I rather enjoyed watching Scarlett Witch kick the shit out of Thanos though. Was great seeing the MCU finally show some of her true power. Much better than Captain "No Personality" Marvel.

Actually 9 years LOL.

5 year time jump so its 2023, and GOTG was 2014.

Unless we are comparing IW Thanos and EW Thanos then it was 4 years.

Even figuring out how old past Thanos is requires a chart LOL. God damn time travel.

chaos789

Banned
Actually 9 years LOL.

5 year time jump so its 2023, and GOTG was 2014.

Unless we are comparing IW Thanos and EW Thanos then it was 4 years.

Even figuring out how old past Thanos is requires a chart LOL. God damn time travel.

Yeah that is why I need another viewing. All of that time travel shit is confusing.

Yeah I was thinking IW Thanos. But Thanos was actually murdered before the 5 year time jump.

Something that bothered me was the fact that it shows Peter back in High School at the end but Ned and his friends are the same age. I guess they got snapped out of existence too. But yet all these people show back up who have not aged and life just goes back to normal? I need to turn my brain off when watching fantasy or comic book films, lol. Just another reason why I hate time travel in cinema, with the exception of Back to the Future.

FireFly

I’m still confused by how powerful base level no gems Thanos is. Is he like a more intelligent version of the hulk? Is he closer to Captain Marvel in power? Right now I imagine he’s Tony Stark smart and Hulk strong.
He has at least the Hulk's base strength, a very high level of intelligence (perhaps comparable to Tony's), and almost indestructible skin. He can also absorb a huge amount of energy. But unlike Captain Marvel he can't redirect the energy he absorbs, so without the stones he is basically a melee only character. On the other hand I doubt Captain Marvel has anywhere near his base level of durability. From what I remember, you already see her bleeding in her movie.

sol_bad

Something that bothered me was the fact that it shows Peter back in High School at the end but Ned and his friends are the same age. I guess they got snapped out of existence too. But yet all these people show back up who have not aged and life just goes back to normal? I need to turn my brain off when watching fantasy or comic book films, lol. Just another reason why I hate time travel in cinema, with the exception of Back to the Future.

You'll notice looking at that scene again that it's only Peter and Ned that share that moment together. They are both happy to be back. All the other kids are going about their day like nothing happened and they have no idea who Peter or Ned are, because they haven't seen them before.
Of course, in Far From Home Peters main group of friends were all taken in the snap together so they all return together the same age. This is not a plot point created to try and avoid the outfall of the reverse snap though, the film will apparently directly deal with that issue.

Ultimately, the snap took people randomly. Maybe a large portion of New York residences were taken but Peter's school was largely unaffected, meaning not many new (old) students would go there after they were reverse snapped.

chaos789

Banned
You'll notice looking at that scene again that it's only Peter and Ned that share that moment together. They are both happy to be back. All the other kids are going about their day like nothing happened and they have no idea who Peter or Ned are, because they haven't seen them before.
Of course, in Far From Home Peters main group of friends were all taken in the snap together so they all return together the same age. This is not a plot point created to try and avoid the outfall of the reverse snap though, the film will apparently directly deal with that issue.

Ultimately, the snap took people randomly. Maybe a large portion of New York residences were taken but Peter's school was largely unaffected, meaning not many new (old) students would go there after they were reverse snapped.

Thank you for clarfying. I missed some of that because my mind was still on some of the previous events. I did enjoy the film though.

Kinda bummed I will never get to see Downey or Evans portray IM or Cap again. But they have been in these roles long enough.

If they plan on making Carol a new primary protaganist of the MCU, they really need to flesh out her personality more. I don't know much about Carol Danvers, so maybe she is like this in the comics too.

Raziel

given how powerful thanos is in endgame, it makes even less sense that cap marvel was not only able to tank a headbutt from him but not even flinch. think about how far superior in strength that suggests she is.

FireFly

given how powerful thanos is in endgame, it makes even less sense that cap marvel was not only able to tank a headbutt from him but not even flinch. think about how far superior in strength that suggests she is.
Again, I doubt very much she is as strong or durable as Thanos. She deflects the headbutt using the energy she is absorbing from the infinity stones. In her own movie, she gets knocked down when she is unable to fully absorb the energy around her.

pramod

Banned
I'm still confused why Thanos went into the future in Endgame.
I mean, why doesn't he just stay in his timeline? He already learned everything from future Nebula, which means he won't make
any of the same mistakes. He can just gather up all the stones and wipe out the universe.
What did he have to gain by going into the other timeline? Revenge? Did he take it personally that Thor chopped his head off
in the other timeline? For someone as intelligent and wise, he was taking a huge risk without clear reasons.

Anyways, I kinda realize now this is one of the worst written movies, plothole-wise, that I have ever seen. It makes The Last Jedi seem like a masterpiece in writing. I'm not gonna say it "ruined" the MCU for me, but I kinda wish it was never made, and that everything just ended in Infinity War. Even the last battle in Endgame isn't as satisfying as that in IW, where you had peak Thanos vs peak heroes. Here it was just fat Thor and old Tony vs Thanos with no stones.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Infinity War Thanos = calm and collected
Endgame Thanos = pissed the hell off

Timestamped.

Sorry but that video made no sense. Armor + a big sword doesn't even equal one Infinity Stone. We just need to admit this was a badly written movie and move on.

And no, he wasn't stronger in Endgame. He seemed strong because Thor was fat, and Tony was old. Scarlet Witch was still able to mess him up pretty good.

Last edited:

FireFly

I mean, why doesn't he just stay in his timeline?
If he stays in his timeline, the sacrifice the other Thanos made will be for nothing and the Avengers will win. And it is an easy opportunity to grab all of the stones, without having to wait until the destruction of Asgard. Besides which, he only lost because of Tony building a mechanism into the gauntlet, in the one of 14 million futures Dr. Strange saw. So I think his odds were pretty good.

Pagusas

Elden Member
If he stays in his timeline, the sacrifice the other Thanos made will be for nothing and the Avengers will win. And it is an easy opportunity to grab all of the stones, without having to wait until the destruction of Asgard. Besides which, he only lost because of Tony building a mechanism into the gauntlet, in the one of 14 million futures Dr. Strange saw. So I think his odds were pretty good.

What mechanism are you speaking of?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Question: with the time stone destroyed, what’s Doctors Strange’s purpose in the universe anymore? Also was the time stone the source of most of his power?

pramod

Banned

But he already learned the secret of time travel. If a raccoon can steal a stone from Asgard he probably can too.

Btw i just realized, not only did the quantum device let them time travel but they also instantly teleported to anywhere they wanted to. Why not just teleport into the exact place where the stones were? Seems like with the quantum technology there should be nothing you cannot steal, since you can literally be anyplace at anytime.

Anyways this movie is making my head hurt.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I mean, why doesn't he just stay in his timeline? He already learned everything from future Nebula, which means he won't make
any of the same mistakes. He can just gather up all the stones and wipe out the universe.
What did he have to gain by going into the other timeline? Revenge? Did he take it personally that Thor chopped his head off
in the other timeline? For someone as intelligent and wise, he was taking a huge risk without clear reasons.

Anyways, I kinda realize now this is one of the worst written movies, plothole-wise, that I have ever seen. It makes The Last Jedi seem like a masterpiece in writing. I'm not gonna say it "ruined" the MCU for me, but I kinda wish it was never made, and that everything just ended in Infinity War. Even the last battle in Endgame isn't as satisfying as that in IW, where you had peak Thanos vs peak heroes. Here it was just fat Thor and old Tony vs Thanos with no stones.

Logic does not = plot hole. Him jumping to the future is not a plot hole.

Besides, the power stone and soul stone would be missing from his reality from his understanding of Nebulas memories. Which means he'd never collect all 6.
He doesn't know they'll be returning them to his reality. It's only Hulk and 2012 Ancient One that realise the stones need to be returned. No one else would know until they all get back to the present.

As fit your post about the video I linked. I even time stamped it at point 3, point 1 and 2 are throw away reasons. Point 3 is the main one.

You can try and pin point " plot holes" all you want but there aren't any.

cryptoadam

Banned
I think he went into the future because

A) he knows he dies and wants to correct that, if he stays in his time eventually he will get killed. Lets just pretend Thanos doesn't know all these arbitrary rules that they set up. To him its just the future and in the future he dies.

B)all the stones are there. He doesn't have to go around collecting them, the Avengers in the future already did that for him, and lucky for him even built him a gauntlet so he didn't have to chop off midget giant mans hands.

C)The plot called for it. Russo's shook us with killing Thanos in the first few minutes, but needed a way to bring him back for the final battle. Like most of Endgame Russo's wrote themeselve into a corner for shock value and used time travel to get themselves out of the hole.

The movie is nonsense, but you have to turn your brain off. In the end its worth it for Cap and Tony's end of a 22 movie journey. The final battle, cap with the Hammer, Avengers Assemble, I am Iron Man, all of this makes the nonsense of the plot worth it. Just don't think about it too much and accept the time travel and comic book logic of the movie and go with it. It hits the right emotional beats and throws in enough fan service and nods and has a satisfying and logical ending that the ride is worth it. IW was still the better movie.

I actually think if you had IW up until Thanos on Titan fight, then picked up Endgame after all the time travel stuff and went into the final fight and ending of Endgame that would be the perfect movie.

Bolivar687

Banned
Can someone explain to me how Marvel keeps pumping out these shit-ass movies but I somehow still don't have my fucking Snyder Cut!?

I don't follow the behind the scenes side of this stuff but I was genuinely surprised to learn that this was the same directors and writers as Infinity War. This was just a heist comedy, whereas the first part kept returning to its recurring theme of sacrifice for the characters. I thought Tony was naturally going to have to choose between turning back the clock and losing this daughter he raised for the last five years but it didn't go in that direction. And it was so referential to other movies that it reminded me a lot of how Hollywood's creative bankruptcy, especially with the previews before the film.

I did enjoy it overall though. It was cool to wrap up Iron Man and Cap's stories for this phase of the universe and I really like how the original Avengers cast got special recognition at the end of the credits. Almost made me wish they had just straight up made Avengers movies with the core crew instead of an outlet for the whole MCU. The scenes with Thanos piecing together what the Avengers were doing were some of the best parts and made his absence that much more notable.

highrider

Banned
Just saw it yesterday, a few thoughts.

The color palette was muted to the detriment of the film. It looked dull on screen.

I haven’t seen Captain Marvel but she was completely unnecessary in this film.

I appreciated the exploration of trauma in the heroes like Thor, but it dragged on and on. The first two hours desperately needed action, pacing was mediocre at best.

It’s pretty much bullshit that ScarJo has been grinding in the series for years and she’s awesome in it, only to be supplanted by Brie Larson who just waltzes in as the ultimate badass pretty much saving the day for everyone. She also has about as much charisma as a bag of flour.

FireFly

What mechanism are you speaking of?
It's not explicitly stated in the movie, but if the Stark gauntlet uses the same nanotech as the suit, it would allow him to transfer the stones to his own gauntlet.

But he already learned the secret of time travel. If a raccoon can steal a stone from Asgard he probably can too.
Like the Avengers, Thanos can use the quantum tracking devices to communicate with Stark's computer, which can map out a path in space and time back to the Avengers base. That doesn't give him the ability to map out his own path to any arbitrary location, unless he builds his own "time computer" and launch pad. And to do that he has to discover the "reverse mobius strip", like Stark did.

Btw i just realized, not only did the quantum device let them time travel but they also instantly teleported to anywhere they wanted to. Why not just teleport into the exact place where the stones were? Seems like with the quantum technology there should be nothing you cannot steal, since you can literally be anyplace at anytime.
That's pretty much what the Avengers did, except they didn't know the exact position in time and space of all the stones.

Tesseract

Banned
i took my nieces to watch this shit today and goddamn it hasn't aged well at all

absolutely miserable affair, girls liked professor hulk tho

cryptoadam

Banned
Just saw it yesterday, a few thoughts.

The color palette was muted to the detriment of the film. It looked dull on screen.

I haven’t seen Captain Marvel but she was completely unnecessary in this film.

I appreciated the exploration of trauma in the heroes like Thor, but it dragged on and on. The first two hours desperately needed action, pacing was mediocre at best.

It’s pretty much bullshit that ScarJo has been grinding in the series for years and she’s awesome in it, only to be supplanted by Brie Larson who just waltzes in as the ultimate badass pretty much saving the day for everyone. She also has about as much charisma as a bag of flour.

Hey now, don't offend bags of flour like that. You take that back!

MetalAlien

Banned

Also it feels like his personality was completely different in endgame then IW. Like not even the same character.
He wasn't trying to kill the Avengers in IW, He just wanted the stones. In Endgame he was out for blood and not holding back.

cryptoadam

Banned
I don't think it will have the legs to pass TFA at the domestic box office, but I think it will be able to just get past Avatar for the world wide record.

kunonabi

i took my nieces to watch this shit today and goddamn it hasn't aged well at all

absolutely miserable affair, girls liked professor hulk tho

I'm taking my dad next week and I get the feeling my already low opinion of it is just going to get even lower. I can also guarantee he's going to hate it.

Just watched it today!

I love calling out SJW shit when I see it, but I think a lot of people in this thread are overreacting to this movie. I got none of those vibes from the movie except when Carol was present with her super empowering haircut. I liked her movie, but I'm glad she didn't have much of a role in this one... even though it is kinda lame that she answered the beacon and then peaced out.

Seeing the "5 years later" Avengers in their different states of mind was a good touch. Reminds me of the last Animorphs book.

kunonabi

Just watched it today!

I love calling out SJW shit when I see it, but I think a lot of people in this thread are overreacting to this movie. I got none of those vibes from the movie except when Carol was present with her super empowering haircut. I liked her movie, but I'm glad she didn't have much of a role in this one... even though it is kinda lame that she answered the beacon and then peaced out.

Seeing the "5 years later" Avengers in their different states of mind was a good touch. Reminds me of the last Animorphs book.
I dont know the date "swerve" and the Falcon/Valkyrie stuff was pretty apparent and I've heard some decent arguments about a few other things. If you consider the russo's recent history in interviews and Marvel Studios' vocal push to appease the SJW crowd it seems very unlikely that these weren't calculated moves.

Outside of homecoming it easily has the most politics inserted into it of any other MCU film.

Xiaoki

Just watched it today!

"super empowering haircut"? What does that mean?

I've seen a lot of complaints about Captain Marvel's hair in this topic and I don't understand it.
captain-marvel.jpeg

Do you mean this haircut?

So, it's now some kind of SJW feminist agenda to have the movie characters look more like their comic book counterparts? Is that it?

MetalAlien

Banned

I've seen a lot of complaints about Captain Marvel's hair in this topic and I don't understand it.
captain-marvel.jpeg

So, it's now some kind of SJW feminist agenda to have the movie characters look more like their comic book counterparts? Is that it?
Remove the smile!

kunonabi

captain-marvel.jpeg

Well the haircut was part of a big SJW feminist agenda in the comics so at least partially yeah. I was hoping they would have avoided it since it's an ugly haircut and Larson doesn't really have the head shape for it but at the end of the day there are far bigger problems with MCU Marvel than her hair so it isnt really worth getting hung up on one way or the other.

chaos789

Banned
The more I think about it the more I like this film. The fact Marvel created this interconnected film universe through these last 11 years and how we have seen these characters grow and struggle is something we may never see again.

It’s hard to even judge this film as a stand alone, as it’s really a Chapter 2 to IW. Plus the fact it’s about seeing these characters we have watched for so long come to the ending of their respective stories.

Seeing Nat and Clint’s relationship throughout the years and how he saved her and brought her into SHIELD then she saved him in Avengers and we come full circle to them both willingly wanting to make the sacrifice so the other wouldn’t have too. BW originally operated in the shadows and in this film you can see how she has grown as a person. As she was the only one willing to not give up and assume a leadership role in order to continue fighting to find ways to restore things even after 5 years. Because her family was the Avengers and she was willing to sacrifice herself in order to save her family. And her refusal to let Clint make the sacrifice despite all the horrible things he had done for 5 years, simply because she knew he still had a family waiting for him.

I may not understand why some people here dislike this film, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Last edited:

sol_bad

You never know, Marvel might exceed Endgame in another 10 years. Battle wise I predict a massive space war including the Shiar Empire. It's the only way to one up Endgames large scale battle.

Character wise I think we'll see Peter, Stephen, T'Challa, Sam, Bucky, Wanda, Scott, Hope and Carol grow as people. Especially Peter if Sony renew their contract. As he grows to adulthood and really realises his responsibilities.

Last edited:

I've never even looked at a Captain Marvel comic before, so I will openly admit that I didn't know that CM ever looked like that.

Is this blatant SJW propaganda? No. Is it a time-tested meme? Yep. Why didn't she look like the comic character in the first movie? Why didn't she cut her hair in the 20+ years before Fury's beacon came out? Surely she'd have realized in that span of time that shorter hair is more practical for superhero deeds.

In all media I've seen - and this scope is far larger than the entire Marvel canon - the haircut is a cheap empowerment placebo. If you think I'm making something out of nothing, it's totally understandable. To me, I'm just calling it how I see it.

chaos789

Banned
You never know, Marvel might exceed Endgame in another 10 years. Battle wise I predict a massive space war including the Shiar Empire. It's the only way to one up Endgames large scale battle.

Character wise I think we'll see Peter, Stephen, T'Challa, Sam, Bucky, Wanda, Scott, Hope and Carol grow as people. Especially Peter if Sony renew their contract. As he grows to adulthood and really realises his responsibilities.

On the cosmic side of things, I hope to see Richard Ryder introduced fairly soon and wouldn't mind seeing the Silver Surfer make an appearance in the MCU.

In the more grounded part of the universe I really hope Norman Osbourne eventually makes an appearance and would love to see what Marvel Studios would do with Doctor Doom.

I still would like to see Moon Knight eventually make an appearance as well, although that is a darker side of the MCU.

Last edited:
I actually liked the movie more the second time. So many of the scenes I was weary about sitting through again actually flowed quite well and I found aspects more appreciable after knowing the events ahead of time. Course come bluray I'll still end up skipping some chapters on reflex. :messenger_winking:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I dont know the date "swerve" and the Falcon/Valkyrie stuff was pretty apparent and I've heard some decent arguments about a few other things. If you consider the russo's recent history in interviews and Marvel Studios' vocal push to appease the SJW crowd it seems very unlikely that these weren't calculated moves.

Outside of homecoming it easily has the most politics inserted into it of any other MCU film.

Concerning Falcon getting the mantle of CA, it's just like the comics when Steve passed it on to Sam. He NEVER passed it to Bucky. Bucky just assumed the mantle to carry on in Cap's absence.

Besides, remember that in the MCU, Bucky is still a wanted criminal (he's the Winter Soldier). And also remember that Steve and Sam grew close since Captain America: The Winter Soldier... Steve even took up the whole support group thing that Sam did in Winter Soldier. Honoring his memory.

Valkryie was leading New Asgard de facto because Thor was in such a deep depression... Remember how he only came out once per month to get his beer? He wasn't leading anyone during those last few years. Valkryie was.

And I remember someone calling her a traitor... Yet she was also suffering from depression (her whole army was killed by Hela and she was basically running scared and depressed like Thor) until Thor pulled her out of it and brought her back to the fold in Ragnarok.

sol_bad

Concerning Falcon getting the mantle of CA, it's just like the comics when Steve passed it on to Sam. He NEVER passed it to Bucky. Bucky just assumed the mantle to carry on in Cap's absence.

Doesn't matter what you say, people will just say it happened in the comics due to SJWism as well.

JimiNutz

Banned
I actually liked the movie more the second time. So many of the scenes I was weary about sitting through again actually flowed quite well and I found aspects more appreciable after knowing the events ahead of time. Course come bluray I'll still end up skipping some chapters on reflex. :messenger_winking:

I was surprised that I enjoyed it more second time also. I'm still not convinced that it will hold up to multiple repeat viewings but it was def better second time at least.

kunonabi

Besides, remember that in the MCU, Bucky is still a wanted criminal (he's the Winter Soldier). And also remember that Steve and Sam grew close since Captain America: The Winter Soldier... Steve even took up the whole support group thing that Sam did in Winter Soldier. Honoring his memory.

Valkryie was leading New Asgard de facto because Thor was in such a deep depression... Remember how he only came out once per month to get his beer? He wasn't leading anyone during those last few years. Valkryie was.

And I remember someone calling her a traitor... Yet she was also suffering from depression (her whole army was killed by Hela and she was basically running scared and depressed like Thor) until Thor pulled her out of it and brought her back to the fold in Ragnarok.

Cap and Falcon's time is still pretty limited on screen and Falcon has been woefully underdeveloped as a character. Cap giving the mantle to somebody who basically just follows his every word is just silly since the thing that made Cap a hero was willingness always do the right thing regardless of orders. Mackie is great and I'd love Falcon to be a full-fledged Avenger going forward but this was a cheap stunt just like it was in comics except in the comics he was at least a fleshed out character before it happened. Bucky didn't really deserve the mantle either but at least there is drama there and he has an actual fanbase.

You're making my point for me with Valkyrie. She loses her girlfriend and turns into a drunken slave trader. Thor's history is littered with loss and he always continued to fight on until they assassinated his character in Endgame. He's the one that inspired her to do something with her life yet he's the one unworthy to lead his people. Her managing the few remaining Asgardians offscreen is nothing. They wanted female Thor going forward and they chose the laziest and most "progressive" way to do it.

Hell, going back to Falcon he suffers from the same issue Valkyrie does just to a lesser degree. He loses his wingman and hangs it up. Cap lost Bucky and kept going and when he loses everyone else he also kept fighting. The idea that either character deserved these mantles with the way they had been written up to this point is just silly.

Top Bottom