• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed only lets you play as Human or Elfs

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They themselves distanced from Skyrim comparisons a while ago by name, so if anyone was still doing that, it's on them

The cycle continues. Western "journalists" seem to always create a narrative for games and then create a new narrative of what the game isn't before it launches. Happens a lot with Xbox games, and many in general. I don't even think it's intentional, they are so intelligently bankrupt that they go for the easy route in every article to the detriment of the games.

Dazraell

I'm genuinely struggling to understand what the problem is here.
I don't think it's a problem, but Avowed is a spin-off of Pillars of Eternity series where you could play as several other races including ones that are unique to this world (aumaua, godlike and orlan). So in some way it's disappointing as you have less options for character creation and you're limited to two of the most generic races

Burger

And this is coming out after Baldurs Gate 3?

It looks like something that Microsoft Studios was making back in the Xbox 360 days.

Mister Wolf

In Avowed you are the emissary to the KIng of the Aedyr Empire sent to the Living Lands. Human and Elves are the majority population and make up the ruling class of the empire. Would make zero sense to play any other race.

Eora-zpshibwttg6.jpg

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
In Avowed you are the emissary to the KIng of the Aedyr empire sent to the Living Lands. Human and Elves are the majority population and make up the ruling class of the empire. Would make zero sense to play any other race.

Eora-zpshibwttg6.jpg

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Loope

the maddening thing there is that there’s nothing we know that’s being ‘cut’.

They’re making an RPG game without classes (not unheard of, not strange), they’re not designing romance in (design decision, not unheard of) and they plan only two races in the game. These are design decisions.

It would be better if Avowed had more than 2 races. It’s also probably not really that significant to most people, doesn’t break the lore, and will be a smart move if designing with only two races allows them to focus on making a great game.

I guess this was what many devs were saying last year about forced comparisons to BG3.
Go ask on Baldur's Gate forum what many of the biggest fans of BG think of 3. Everyone has their opinion on a particular game, just because it is lauded doesn't mean everyone should follow suite. Just because someone doesn't like a design decision, it shouldn't be shit on because of that.

Plenty of other games to play. To me Obsidian is a solid RPG dev and they've alwways have been. I'll wait and see.

Ozriel

M$FT
And this is coming out after Baldurs Gate 3?

It looks like something that Microsoft Studios was making back in the Xbox 360 days.

Are we going to demand every future open world game includes every feature in Elden Ring too?

With all the features this game will not have, they should just rename the game to A-void. Sounds almost the same, is probably more correct to what RPG content there will be, and it’s secretly also a customer buying advice.

Who knew romance and playing as dwarves were essential, must have staples of RPGs?

Are we going to demand every future open world game includes every feature in Elden Ring too?

Who knew romance and playing as dwarves were essential, must have staples of RPGs?
They are mostly when it comes to Fantasy RPGs, but sure, you go be happy with no choices in an RPG game. Also, there’s much more that’s not there in this game, there’s other threads about that already.

Ozriel

M$FT
They are mostly when it comes to Fantasy RPGs, but sure, you go be happy with no choices in an RPG game.

You realize the last showcase had a trailer showing…choices?

Also, there’s much more that’s not there in this game, there’s other threads about that already.

Nah. There’s cherry picked BS floating around. At this point in time, there’s no essential RPG staple that’s omitted from this game.

But happy to see you retain this line of thought if that means you’re not present anymore in any further threads about this game. Deal?

The exclusive salt is real.
Most in this thread will be playing on PC, you included. Take off your green tinted glasses and call out BS when it exists.

If the game was announced as a more story driven maine protagonist type of game i dont think many people would mind about some of the stuff they are saying.

Problem is it was presented as this huge sprawling deep RPG in which it is missing a ton of features that genre includes.

The same exact thing happened with Star Field and Redfall.

As a consumer why should i be ok with it, and dont say well its on Gamepass (thats the point)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If a new Ninja Turtle Game launched with only Leonardo and Michelangelo would you see a problem with that?
One of my core beliefs for the last 20 years is to try and remove expectations as much as possible, and just look at a game for what it is and assess that. Anytime you're judging a game by what it's not instead of just assessing what is there, I think you're not really accurately even talking about the game. I see this all the time. People shit on Resident Evil 6 because it doesn't have many things they want in a RE game. I played RE6 and removed any preconceptions and found out that what it is, is a fantastic and innovative TPS with some interesting moves I hadn't seen before, tons of content, and it was a blast playing co-op with a friend. If you are hating a game, and that game could suddenly be fun for you if just the name on the box was different, I think you've completely lost it, and the only one missing out is you. But it's not just you, I see this happen constantly. This is happening to Suicide Squad right now. People simply can't just see in reality what is there. They see Arkham games and what it's not and can't accurately even talk about the game. It's some weird variant of lying to themselves, and then to everyone else. And also, you see this lie wear off in about a decade. It literally takes that long for people to get over it and finally see reality and just look at the game. You see it on FFXIII, RE6, DMC (Ninja Theory), why isn't Starfield exactly the same as Skyrim!!?!? A decade passes and they get over their pre-conceived expectations and finally, finally, just look at the game and most of the time see that it's pretty good and even great in some areas. Those of us that don't have this problem literally wait for a decade to discuss this fairly and normally while people like you rage about your expectations.

Maybe Avowed is a streamlined action RPG? We'll see. Why not just ... give it a shot and see what it actually is, and if it's fun?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Problem is it was presented as this huge sprawling deep RPG in which it is missing a ton of features that genre includes.

Again, going classless isn’t unheard of in RPGs and they’ve logically explained why they’ve done so.
Romance is not an RPG essential.
They’ve made the decision to restrict the game to two races, and that’s functionally covered by the lore in the game.

The ‘missing a ton of features’ narrative is made up, sensationalist stuff. And you’ve known since last year that Obsidian weren’t trying to make Skyrim 2.0 anymore.

If a new Ninja Turtle Game launched with only Leonardo and Michelangelo would you see a problem with that?

I knew you already had issues with analogies when you compared Avowed having no romance option to Redfall, but this one takes the cake.

Dazraell

Good thing Avowed is an RPG with RPG elements.
Wrong thread?
Eh, I think the larger issue is that we constantly learn what this game won't have, instead of learning things that could interest people in playing this game

Nothing wrong with Avowed being something else than was expected. I will probably play it as I loved most of Obsidian games. But still, at this point I haven't seen anything that would make me feel genuinely excited about it and things I thought might interest me won't actually be in it or be limited because of various design-related choices and constraints

One of my core beliefs for the last 20 years is to try and remove expectations as much as possible, and just look at a game for what it is and assess that. Anytime you're judging a game by what it's not instead of just assessing what is there, I think you're not really accurately even talking about the game. I see this all the time. People shit on Resident Evil 6 because it doesn't have many things they want in a RE game. I played RE6 and removed any preconceptions and found out that what it is, is a fantastic and innovative TPS with some interesting moves I hadn't seen before, tons of content, and it was a blast playing co-op with a friend. If you are hating a game, and that game could suddenly be fun for you if just the name on the box was different, I think you've completely lost it, and the only one missing out is you. But it's not just you, I see this happen constantly. This is happening to Suicide Squad right now. People simply can't just see in reality what is there. They see Arkham games and what it's not and can't accurately even talk about the game. It's some weird variant of lying to themselves, and then to everyone else. And also, you see this lie wear off in about a decade. It literally takes that long for people to get over it and finally see reality and just look at the game. You see it on FFXIII, RE6, DMC (Ninja Theory), why isn't Starfield exactly the same as Skyrim!!?!? A decade passes and they get over their pre-conceived expectations and finally, finally, just look at the game and most of the time see that it's pretty good and even great in some areas. Those of us that don't have this problem literally wait for a decade to discuss this fairly and normally while people like you rage about your expectations.

Maybe Avowed is a streamlined action RPG? We'll see. Why not just ... give it a shot and see what it actually is, and if it's fun?
I took the time to read the entire post because you took the time to clearly articulate your stance, i appreciate that.

I understand where you are coming from that each game should stand on its own merit instead of expectations set by other games. However, that has never happened in the history of any media. If it was a unique new experience unlike anything else sure (elvis presley) for example in the music realm. This is clearly not trying to be unique in any way and as a result it will be compare to other games in the genre that are more "feature complete".

Who knows though maybe this game will have some mechanics that are later dubed to be essential to rpgs.

Laptop1991

I understand where you are coming from that each game should stand on its own merit instead of expectations set by other games
That's the problem though both Bethesda and Obsidian keep mentioning Skyrim and New Vegas to promote and sell these newer games as a marketing tactic when in reality the best things about those games are missing or limited at best and fans want more Skyrim, TES and Fallout games, not these new ones.

Ozriel

M$FT
Eh, I think the larger issue is that we constantly learn what this game won't have, instead of learning things that could interest people in playing this game

Nothing wrong with Avowed being something else than was expected. I will probably play it as I loved most of Obsidian games. But still, at this point I haven't seen anything that would make me feel genuinely excited about it and things I thought might interest me won't actually be in it or be limited because of various design-related choices and constraints

That’s only a problem if your only avenue for learning anything about Avowed is via Kotaku headlines or GAF threads. All distilled and cherry picked from a single interview and a video podcast.

There’s a whole extended look at the game where the devs detailed their vision for the game, reasons for design decisions, biome diversity, game density, combat fluidity etc. You’re constantly learning what the game has

But for some reason, people want to cling to narratives that say there are big feature gaps, even though there’s no major omission reveal at this moment.

Ozriel

M$FT
Dont be dense.

My argument is about excluding features. Specifically characters in this instance.

Stop being a condescending prick and actually try to join the discourse.

So not being able to play as a dwarf or goblin or whatever is the key difference between a great game and a bad game? That’s the deal breaker for you? Even when it’s adequately explained in the lore?

Dazraell

That’s only a problem if your only avenue for learning anything about Avowed is via Kotaku headlines or GAF threads. All distilled and cherry picked from a single interview and a video podcast.

There’s a whole extended look at the game where the devs detailed their vision for the game, reasons for design decisions, biome diversity, game density, combat fluidity etc. You’re constantly learning what the game has

But for some reason, people want to cling to narratives that say there are big feature gaps, even though there’s no major omission reveal at this moment.
I actually seen both extended look and Microsoft's showcase and I still think it looks underwhelming

Btw. The fact that you get so passive-aggressive about Avowed only shows that you keep being butthurt that people aren't excited about the game. You do you, but you don't have to be a prick about it if someone doesn't feel the same way you do

So not being able to play as a dwarf or goblin or whatever is the key difference between a great game and a bad game? That’s the deal breaker for you? Even when it’s adequately explained in the lore?
No, having a few more races will not make a bad game a great game or vice versa. Not having more playable races in the game is a net negative for the player, regardless of how the developer trys to spin it as a positive.

My stance has always been if the developer is CHOOSING to limit the players option based on THIER design choices then I will CHOOSE to limit how MUCH i will pay for the game.

If you have other games in the genre that have released recently that include all of the things that this developer is CHOOSING to exclude, then why should I pay them the same price?

If i am mistaken and it is a game of a different genre then i am wrong, so be it. However that is not how its been advertised and as such my opinion has been formed.

Ozriel

M$FT
I actually seen both extended look and Microsoft's showcase and I still think it looks underwhelming

Btw. The fact that you get so passive-aggressive about Avowed only shows that you keep being butthurt that people aren't excited about the game. You do you, but you don't have to be a prick about it if someone doesn't feel the same way you do

I’ve stated multiple times in this thread that I’m happy to wait for reviews. You won’t find a single post made by me in this thread drumming up hype for the game or claiming it’s going to be some GOTY tier game. I truly don’t know how it’ll land, even though Obsidian has a good track record. I’m not going to play it if it’s bad, same way I happily gave Redfall a miss.

It’s your prerogative if you’re not excited about the game. And I’ve not contested that. All I’ve contested - factually - is misleading narratives that there are major or essential missing features from the game. There’s certainly no real intent from anyone to explain how there’s a significant impact on quality from these design decisions they’ve made.

I don't really care about only having two races. I think it is a little bit of a weak choice considering the races available in PoE.. but I also don't really care. But cumulatively it is sounding like less than I hoped it would be - and maybe that is on me because I haven't necessarily researched this game, as I've mentioned before I expected it to be in the vein of Elder Scrolls and it's clearly not going to be that. I'll still check it out regardless to try and encourage more Pillars universe games (especially PoE III), but not a lot of expectations at this point. Really that's fine though, I had very little expectations of Starfield and I ended up enjoying the game quite a bit which seems to be counter to the narrative about that game. So here's to that.

Wimbledon

In every RPG if the option is available i always play elf I rarely play any other species. With that said im still very much interested in the game, i need to buy some of there previous games because i have never played an Obisidion game.

Top Bottom