• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge 2 reviews on Playstation are out

kingfey

Banned
Game trailer

Reviews

IGN

Tristan Ogilvie
IGN
Top Critic
7 / 10.0
Aug 11, 2021
Axiom Verge 2 is a dual-dimensional Metroidvania that's engaging to explore despite its one-dimensional combat and underwhelming boss fights.
Read full review
PC Gamer
Tom Sykes
PC Gamer
Top Critic
87 / 100
Aug 11, 2021
A bold and ambitious sequel set in a satisfying, densely connected world.
Read full review
Game Informer
Matt Miller
Game Informer
Top Critic
7.8 / 10.0
Aug 11, 2021
Clever level design and consummate world-building are great fun, even if the pacing and exploration sometimes lead to frustration
Read full review
Nintendo Enthusiast
Ben Lamoreux
Nintendo Enthusiast
Top Critic
8.5 / 10.0
Aug 11, 2021
Hacking is the other big new feature in Axiom Verge 2, although it finds its roots in the glitch gun of the first game. Indra can hack the game's robotic enemies, reprogramming them with options like "Overclock," "Allegiance," and "Platform." It provides an alternate approach to combat, supplementing the melee weapons. Hacking is also used to unlock doors throughout the world. This has the potential to add to the replayability and speedrunning options, as some doors require a higher Skill Point investment in the Infection stat than others.
Read full review
Nintendo Life
Mitch Vogel
Nintendo Life
Top Critic
9 / 10
Aug 11, 2021
Axiom Verge is a remarkably tough act to follow, but Thomas Happ has done it again in producing a pitch perfect, excellently paced Metroidvania adventure. Axiom Verge 2 perfectly balances familiar elements that made the original great and trying out new ideas that give the sequel its own identity, and while lovers of the first game may take some time to adjust, everything comes together and makes for a potent experience that no fan of the genre will want to miss out on. The mysterious atmosphere, thrilling pace, and fantastic world design all come together to make for a worthy follow up that stands well on its own. Do yourself a favor and pick up Axiom Verge 2 as soon as you can, this is a game that's absolutely worth your time.
Read full review

Hardcore Gamer
James Cunningham
Hardcore Gamer
Top Critic
4 / 5.0
Aug 11, 2021
Axiom Verge 2 is exactly what a sequel should be in that it's more of the same but different.
Read full review
NintendoWorldReport
Zachary Miller
NintendoWorldReport
Top Critic
8.5 / 10.0
Aug 11, 2021
Axiom Verge 2 is a fantastic evolution of Axiom Verge 1-it feels like a different game, but with enough gameplay and story connections to remain familiar. My issues with the protagonist and wayfinding pale in comparison to the addictive exploration and beautiful vistas that Axiom Verge 2 revels in, and I can't wait to speculate wildly about the storyline.
Read full review
Evan Rowe
Evan Rowe

Saving Content

Aug 11, 2021
Axiom Verge 2 is a thoroughly enjoyable game that hits most of its notes perfectly, and is easy to recommend. Where Axiom Verge 1 was a clear love letter to Metroid, Axiom Verge 2 establishes more of its own identity, both in how it fleshes out the shared universe of the series, and the ways it blends elements of its predecessors and its inspirations together to create something really unique. Like the first game, it feels both familiar and entirely new. The sense of mystery and wonder, combined with excellent mechanical execution, will keep you going on a breakneck pace from start to finish.
Read full review
But Why Tho?
Kyle Foley
But Why Tho?

10 / 10.0
Aug 11, 2021
Axiom Verge 2 is an outstanding game that really sets the bar for future indie Metroidvania games. It builds on the original’s success by introducing new mechanics and ideas that help freshen up a classic and sometimes stale genre. I loved every second of my journey as Indra, and I know you will too.
Read full review

SJRB

Gold Member
I watched Gerstmann play this a few hours ago, it was okay I guess but nothing mindblowing honestly.

Also the whole environment looks so... drab? I don't know.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Its more like castlevania 1 gameplay.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Its a metroidvania. Stories can be played separately

Marty-McFly

Banned
The artstyle is really bad compared to the first.

I want to give it a shot but something about the look of it has me hesitant.

The look of the game before was a lot cooler, and shooting is better than a melee focus. It felt like a trippy Metroid game.

ss_978607583bf147d520f488bb9acdb1c00ea3349b.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

wipeout364

I enjoyed the first. It was a bit overhyped but a reasonably good time, especially considering it was made by one guy wasn’t it. I also think at the time there was not as many indie and metroidvania games which was kind of its charm but that’s certainly not the case today ; so I don’t know if I will be playing this one especially if it is just more of the same.

GHG

Gold Member
I watched Gerstmann play this a few hours ago, it was okay I guess but nothing mindblowing honestly.

Also the whole environment looks so... drab? I don't know.

First game was like that as well, it's just the art style .

While I found it to be solid mechanically I dropped it after a couple of hours because of that, my eyes really didn't get on with the game and it dragged the experience down for me.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Oh nice, I thought it was a Switch exclusive. Enjoyed the first one, even if this sequel sucks, fact that he worked mostly alone on this game needs respect.

SpiceRacz

The artstyle is really bad compared to the first.

I want to give it a shot but something about the look of it has me hesitant.

The look of the game before was a lot cooler, and shooting is better than a melee focus. It felt like a trippy Metroid game.

ss_978607583bf147d520f488bb9acdb1c00ea3349b.1920x1080.jpg

E8hdbV4WYAQm8SK

Newest footage & images that came out today look a lot better. Happ was obviously not trying to reveal too much in the trailers.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I finally finished the game. Was a subpar experience compared to the first. It didn't click at all with me while I adored the first game. Music, graphics, gameplay were all a miss with me.

Top Bottom