• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Yes Boss!

Good episode on Bonk's Revenge! Speaking of desktop PVMs, I recently put two little ones on my desktop. Works perfectly with the small controller cords.

578B7544-32AC-462A-AF1E-FBF4807514C0_zps6erpqybv.jpg

orient

Neo Member
The Retron5 seems to be having the opposite effect on me -- ever since it's arrived, all I've done is messed around with CRTs and original hardware.

Got a free 13" CRT with SCART so I just need a $5 S-Video/Composite to SCART converter and I'm ready to go with modified systems.

orient

Neo Member
The latest ep about GCCX. Ray said it's kind of weird covering another retro game-related show and compared it to doing an episode about BimP lol

Latest Episode:
Episode 34: Sega Saturn 101

Greg Sewart joins Kevin to discuss the Sega Saturn, a very fascinating console with some amazing hidden gems and some true classics. In Part 1 of a 2-part series we discuss the history of the Sega Saturn, what you need to know if you want to start collecting for it, and the best titles for under $10.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
???

Awesome! Will download and listen on the way to the office tmrw. You're going to make me want to go play some burning rangers or radiant silvergun tonight on my BVM in the basement. My wife is watching True Blood...why not?

Awesome! Will download and listen on the way to the office tmrw. You're going to make me want to go play some burning rangers or radiant silvergun tonight on my BVM in the basement. My wife is watching True Blood...why not?

Dude, what's up with this season of True Blood? It's harder to watch than usual.

I am starting a new series on BackinmyPlay.com to review new released inspired by retro games. First up will be Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds on PS Vita.

Hope to have the review up tomorrow or Friday. From the looks of it, it is the perfect game to start the series.

Mzo

Listened to a bit of the Bonk episode. Bonk's always had a sort of delayed jump. That seemed to be kind of a point of debate, but yeah. It's there.

Listened to a bit of the Bonk episode. Bonk's always had a sort of delayed jump. That seemed to be kind of a point of debate, but yeah. It's there.

I played some more on the Vita (PS3/PSP version) and it is still there. Again, might have just been more noticeable coming off of SMB3 episode.

stewy

I got to the end of Shovel Knight and I don't think I'm going to finish it. I'm just not good enough to get through that gauntlet at the end.

I got to the end of Shovel Knight and I don't think I'm going to finish it. I'm just not good enough to get through that gauntlet at the end.

Planning on waiting for the PS Vita version unless Nintendo does a 3dsXL refresh.

BTW,

The review for Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds is done. It will be up in an hour or two.

EDIT: The folks at Yacht Club Games sent me a code so I will review it this week.

I am going to be interviewing one of the developers from Yacht Club Games about Shovel Knight and their retro game influences. If you have any questions for the team let me know.

There will also be a review of the game up later in the week.

I am going to be interviewing one of the developers from Yacht Club Games about Shovel Knight and their retro game influences. If you have any questions for the team let me know.

There will also be a review of the game up later in the week.

A couple of questions:
1. Do they plan to keep the retro sensibilities/influence as a key component of future projects?

2. What was something they wanted to do with Shovel Knight but ultimately had to leave on the cutting room floor?

3. Would a Shovel Knight sequel perhaps have a 16-bit artstyle?

Teknoman

I'd like to know if they would ever consider trying their hand at developing a classic style beat em up or turn based RPG.

Also where they got the inspiration for a shovel wielding knight.

Teknoman

lol just take it one knight at a time :p

EDIT: Btw you guys havent done an episode on Super Castlevania IV yet right? Because you should. I remember mentions of being creeped out when little with Castlevania 1 on an earlier episode. IV is legit creepy.

A few things

1. New episode up later today continuing to talk about the Sega Saturn
2. Shovel Knight Review up tonight
3. DKCR code will be given out this week after I give people that listen to the podcast a chance to get in on it.
4. Next game review is Magical Beat on PS Vita:

Latest Episode:
Episode 35: Sega Saturn 201

Greg Sewart joins Kevin continue their discussion of the Sega Saturn while talking about the hidden gems of the Saturn, the expensive games that are worth your money, and some weird titles that make the Saturn unique.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
???

My review of Shovel Knight is up if anyone is still on the fence:
http://backinmyplay.com/review-shovel-knight-3ds/

Also I have an interview going up on Friday with David from Yacht Club Games.

On the review front I am finishing up Magical Beat tonight and will be moving on to Gravity Crash Ultra.

Also have a review of GUNVOLT in the works but it is embargoed for the US release.

Sweet. I will hopefully finally be able to order one (my budget has been pretty bad this year).

And I didn't notice Saturn 201 was up, will make a nice companion for me at Jury Duty tomorrow :-(

Skip the next game purchase and instead buy something that can keep you warm!

Top Bottom