• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

drspeedy

Great episode with Gregg! I might have to politely argue with him on the percent of licensed games that are pure shovelware then vs. now... just Disney alone was tops through PS2-era with Aladdin, Ducktales, Goof Troop, etc, not to mention Mickey games... add in TMNT and the Simpsons rocking arcades, most of the Star Wars games (that weren't on handhelds), Goldeneye, Jurassic Park... I could go on. But then again he's right as well; we had E.T., Ghostbusters NES, Rambo, Back to the Future... and that's just for NES, lol. Another great episode, kev

I watched the trailer, haven't seen any of the Diggin in the Carts episodes yet, but looking forward to seeing if they interview other video game creators influenced by the Japanese trailblazers (maybe US guys like Tommy Tallarico and Jack Wall). Looks really awesome, after watching the trailer it hit me just how much the early NES and Konami/Capcom-era video game music is reflected in modern hip hop and electronica. How did I never put the two together?

Great episode with Gregg! I might have to politely argue with him on the percent of licensed games that are pure shovelware then vs. now... just Disney alone was tops through PS2-era with Aladdin, Ducktales, Goof Troop, etc, not to mention Mickey games... add in TMNT and the Simpsons rocking arcades, most of the Star Wars games (that weren't on handhelds), Goldeneye, Jurassic Park... I could go on. But then again he's right as well; we had E.T., Ghostbusters NES, Rambo, Back to the Future... and that's just for NES, lol. Another great episode, kev

I watched the trailer, haven't seen any of the Diggin in the Carts episodes yet, but looking forward to seeing if they interview other video game creators influenced by the Japanese trailblazers (maybe US guys like Tommy Tallarico and Jack Wall). Looks really awesome, after watching the trailer it hit me just how much the early NES and Konami/Capcom-era video game music is reflected in modern hip hop and electronica. How did I never put the two together?

Glad you enjoyed it! You are going to love the interview with Nick. Tons of music in the episode.

Latest Episode:
BimP Gaiden: Diggin’ in the Carts (Japanese VGM Doc)

Nick Dwyer, writer/producer of “Diggin’ in the Carts” comes on the show to discuss the awesome documentary series on Japanese Video Game Music and it’s influences on the rest of the world. Nick also discusses how the project got started, his favorite interviews, what video game music he loves, and more!

You can support Back in my Play by becoming a Patreon:
http://www.patreon.com/backinmyplay

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
Akihabara Virtual Tour/Guide

Credo

Good news! Kurt Kalata is going to be back on this week to cover the oft-forgotten Castelvania Bloodlines on the Sega Genesis.

I just picked that game up recently, so I'm glad to hear it! And by the way, good job on the Diggin' in the Carts episode.

This might be good news for the show. I am heading to Japan for about 60 days in October. Should be able to do some cool audio/video stuff out there.

Great news!

Love the show Kevin, I've been a listener since around episode 12 (I've listened to all of them to date). Keep up the good work, I look forward to it every week.

Dagon

Really enjoyed the Digging In The Carts episode. I loved the first part and can't wait to catch up on the rest. From the interview it's clear how much of a passion project it is for Nick.

Also good news about Japan. Would be great to see videos about the retro scene there.

Should be videos and interviews/episodes with people while I am out there. Like a super low budget documentary.

Also it means I can do Zelda II and Super Metroid with the 8-4 guys. Now I need to play Zelda II.

Another incarnation of Dracula defeated! Just 1 hit of health left!

j4IFYcWe8mCjn.jpg

Teknoman

I still need to roll through Rondo of Blood. Grats on beating Bloodlines though! I think i got stuck at the Munitions Factory.

Btw you've got a Dreamcast right? Have you played Gunlord yet? If you like Mega Turrican, you should really it. It doesnt have a grapple hook (that I know of) but so far, its got a really good Turricanish feel right down to the soundtrack.

Latest Episode:
Episode 37: Castlevania Bloodlines

j2qlhWrW3ZVtO.jpg

This episode we remember and revisit the under appreciate classic Castlevania: Bloodlines with Kurt Kalata from HardcoreGaming 101. We also have a discussion about the Castlevania series in general, Kevin’s upcoming 60-day trip to Japan, and more!

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
Akihabara Virtual Tour/Guide

Just 6 hours to get in your order for a Back in my PLay hoodie! Need to sell 4 more to get them made. Come on guys! Only $26!

http://teespring.com/bimpjapanhoodie

Ya got me. Just ordered number 10, lol. Went with the black hoody. I've been contributing to the retro gaming scene for far too long to skip supporting your awesome show. I've been sporting my back in my play t-shirt all summer, so I've gotta prepare for winter, right? We will see what my wife says when it shows up.

Loved the Bloodlines episode, btw. Have you considered doing a show on Konami, meaning the company themselves? I grew up in a Buffalo Grove, IL, which was Konami of America's HQ for a good portion of the 80s and 90s. The majority of their US games show Buffalo Grove, llinois printed on the box or inside the manual.

I knew a guy who's mom worked there...she went by the "Konami Mommy". However, being a kid at the time (I'm 34) I never knew what exactly they did at that office. All I knew was that she must have had the coolest job in the whole world.

I would love a retrospective on the company -- Japan and US -- in the 80s and 90s. Has anyone ever done this before? Big topic, but it would be very cool.

Ya got me. Just ordered number 10, lol. Went with the black hoody. I've been contributing to the retro gaming scene for far too long to skip supporting your awesome show. I've been sporting my back in my play t-shirt all summer, so I've gotta prepare for winter, right? We will see what my wife says when it shows up.

Loved the Bloodlines episode, btw. Have you considered doing a show on Konami, meaning the company themselves? I grew up in a Buffalo Grove, IL, which was Konami of America's HQ for a good portion of the 80s and 90s. The majority of their US games show Buffalo Grove, llinois printed on the box or inside the manual.

I knew a guy who's mom worked there...she went by the "Konami Mommy". However, being a kid at the time (I'm 34) I never knew what exactly they did at that office. All I knew was that she must have had the coolest job in the whole world.

I would love a retrospective on the company -- Japan and US -- in the 80s and 90s. Has anyone ever done this before? Big topic, but it would be very cool.

That would be hard to do in one episode. Maybe Konami on the Famicom or something instead.

Say hi to Konami Mommy for me.

Teknoman

Dunno if this would make a good subject, but Kusoge (?) or the hobby of playing really bad games.

Its interesting to say the least, but I dunno if someone would want to listen to a whole podcast about why people play bad games lol. I guess it could make for some nice soundtrack interludes.

robot

Any other things you guys want covered while I am out in Japan for the two months? Talked to Johntv, Zelda II should be a lock.

You capturing any video while you're out there? Would love to see some game hunting in japan. Some of those shops look incredible (Super Potato in particular).

Edit: Just read above you're doing a Akihabara Virtual Tour/Guide next episode? That was quick!

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects

You don't happen to still keep in contact with him or his mom, would you? I'd love to be able to interview her! Very little has ever come out about the workings of Konami of America. Only thing I've read recently was about one of the heads at the time (forget his name) was a Christian and wasn't too big a fan of some of the products they were putting out, like Castlevania. This was in the Console Wars book.

Really, I also want to find out the person who did the cover artwork for stuff like Castlevania III, Contra III, Super Castlevania IV, etc.

Kevin, I could ramble about Konami for hours on end if you ever want me on again!

The Virtual Akihabara Game Shop Tour with Tips and Tricks episode is edited. Look for it tomorrow.

Also hoping to record two more before I leave. Otherwise there might be a week break as ai get settled.

Latest Episode:
BimP Gaiden: Akihabara Virtual Tour

jtouOc7LTi4Yi.jpg

Join Kevin and Natsumi as we take a virtual tour through Akihabara and discuss the best used game shops, how to get the best deals, Japanese terms you can use while shopping, and more!

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
Star Fox 64?

Also I am going to be giving away a code for New Super Mario Bros U for the NA eShop to a follower of @backinmyplay tomorrow. Make sure you are following the account and keep an eye out for the details.

Some good news, looks like I will be chatting with Stewart Gilray from Just Add Water sometime soon for the show. Industry vet and head of J.A.W. (Gravity Crash Ultra, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty).

Feel free to star queuing up some questions/topics for him.

Kevin, if you're still in contact with Nick Dwyer do you think you can get an answer out of him regarding Episode 6 of Diggin' in the Carts? It was supposed to be posted yesterday, but the entire entry was mysteriously removed from the site, with no explanation.

I was really looking forward to Michiru Yamane :(

Kevin, if you're still in contact with Nick Dwyer do you think you can get an answer out of him regarding Episode 6 of Diggin' in the Carts? It was supposed to be posted yesterday, but the entire entry was mysteriously removed from the site, with no explanation.

I was really looking forward to Michiru Yamane :(

Was delayed until next week.

Top Bottom