• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 Community goes crazy after studio reveals Bear Romance Scene

Draugoth

Gold Member
baldur-s-gate-3-boasts-tender-consensual-sex-with-a-bear.jpg

Baldur's Gate III developers Larian got its livestream banned on TikTok after it revealed a spicy scene with a bear.

Per IGN, the scene in question, which is still available to view on Twitch, sees the player as Astarion share a tender moment with a bear. The bear in question is actually a Druid, Halsin, taking Wildshape bear form after the two agree to have sex. The scene is partly played for laughs, according to Larian, as evidenced by the shot of a squirrel witnessing the moment and dropping its acorn. "Every single person who's seen it is like, 'oh my god.' But it's funny," said Larian boss Swen Vincke, who also called it "hilarious."

During the showcase, the team specifically highlighted romance, showcasing specific scenes as well as talking about how these relationships will unfold over the course of the very long RPG. There are multiple romance options, and each love story will take you down different paths. Some storylines will feature or allow for polyamory, others may have unhappy endings that can end with you being sacrificed to a demon. But those are broad strokes. The notable parts of the presentation were two scenes Larian showed off during the show.

The first scene shown was an adorable dinner date with Karlach, a Tiefling Barbarian. Unlike what would come after, it was incredibly sweet and had everyone in the audience saying “aww.” However, the stream took a hard left turn when it pivoted to the romance scene with Halsin. The exchange starts normal enough. The player (controlling the vampire Astarion as their main character), approaches Halsin in a discrete area of the woods. As things start to get hot and heavy, he strips and things seem to be taking their natural course. Then, Halsin loses control of himself and transforms into his bear form. He quickly reverts to human forms and apologizes. Sometimes this happens when he’s giving in to his base desires.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Sure. Drugs are too.

Soo, when do you recon we going to see a sex scene with a minor in a AAA game? This year or next, or maybe a bit later?
That would not go over well. Getting down with a bear can be framed as amusing (as in this game) but I'm not sure how you can frame sex with a minor as such. I'm sure you could use the 400 year old loli trope but the optics on something like Fox would be bad. Or the outrage that would be generated online.

Personally I really couldn't give a shit, as no real harm is done, and I can't really see any real moral or ethical problems (in a game, not real life obviously), but society at large would frown on it and as mentioned the optics would be bad. As a developer I wouldn't touch that scenario at all.

But my point is just because something is illegal in some countries doesn't mean it should be illegal in video games. Homosexuality is banned in tons of countries, but obviously is doesn't need to be banned in video games either.

Sure. Drugs are too.

Soo, when do you recon we going to see a sex scene with a minor in a AAA game? This year or next, or maybe a bit later?
Is this some kind of slippery slope argument based on the premise of joke sex with a bear which I'll just assume is so rare as to never happened with a serious, real problem that is probably going on every day? Hell, even the nature of being a shape-shifting Druid gets around the main complaint of non-consensual - which is not something I thought I'd be typing out today on the fucking forums.

Now I have to loop the cute squirrel part to burn this shit out of my brain.

Meicyn

Gold Member
What's next? Sex scene with a minor but wait! s/he is a druid and is 400 years old? Zoophilia is banned in few countries and for a reason.
So, when do you recon we going to see a sex scene with a minor in a AAA game? This year or next, or maybe a bit later?
I think it’s telling that the first thing your mind went to when watching a scene played for laughs is sex with minors.

Gorgon

Sure. Drugs are too.

You basically answered your own question. For you murder and drugs are just fine in videogames. Having consensual sex with an intelligent Druid that shapeshifted into a bear isn't. For some of us that's a no brainer either, plus it's played for gigles anyway. So why is one fine for you but not the other? Where's your limit?

Also, is it OK to have sex with aliens, like in Mass Effect and Star Trek etc? Does that count as bestiality too?

As for necrophilia, isn't that what every character that has sex with a vampire does? What about sex with a ghost?

On the other hand, anything that smaks of paedophilia is a limit for me, even though technically the character in your example is 400 years old and therefore not a "minor" except in physical outlook. However, as lughnasadh123 lughnasadh123 pointed out, paedophilia and minor abuse is an extremely problematic issue that our world still has to deal with every day, with people who have extreme psychological damage because of it. There's nothing funny about it. Joking about consesual bear sex isn't even remotely in the same ball park. But that's me.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Oof this really is Divinity 3. Not sure what the game has to do with Baldur's Gate. I'm seeing too many dating sim elements mixed in with Divinity turn based combat with a DND coat of paint.

Vampire fooling around with a Druid seems rather contradictory given Druids and Vampires should be vehemently opposed to each other since one is all about nature and the other is the anti-thesis of nature.

It might be forgivable if the intent was to drain the blood out of the druid but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Gorgon

Vampire fooling around with a Druid seems rather contradictory given Druids and Vampires should be vehemently opposed to each other since one is all about nature and the other is the anti-thesis of nature.

Opposites attract, love conquers all 🤷‍♂️

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Oof this really is Divinity 3. Not sure what the game has to do with Baldur's Gate. I'm seeing too many dating sim elements mixed in with Divinity turn based combat with a DND coat of paint.

It might be forgivable if the intent was to drain the blood out of the druid but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Romance storylines were a major part of BG2.

Guilty_AI

You're still the one in control of the character, if you want to be a vampire that doesn't follow the norms i don't see the issue.

Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom