• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 Community goes crazy after studio reveals Bear Romance Scene

Gorgon

I did some googling, internet say you can romance the druid guy as a female character too, the bear form sex is a choice, there is a line that size might be an issue in there and you get asked if you still want to do it.
If that’s true then it’ll be interesting to see if it’s still regarded as comedy when those scenes are up on the net.

You can watch the stream of that presentation, they show the whole scene with the dialogue choices.

Gorgon

Ngl i thought this was a clip from ff16 when I first saw someone post it. I only caught a quick glimpse, which is probably why

That was actually one of the reasons why I wasn't paying much attention to this game until recently. There has been a tendency for the last decade or so for WRPGs, including tabletop and the later editions of D&D itself, to have an art direction that seems heavily influenced by asian RPGs. The armors and art direction in general in BG3 completely put me off and would not be out of place in many JRPGs. But the game seems to be so good that I'll have to make an effort to ignore it.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm sorry I'm trying to follow the logic here, this game is bad because it has a hinted sex scene with a bear that is played for laughs while Ace Ventura is OK because it has a sex scene with a gorilla that is played for laughs? How is that any different? Hell the Ace Ventura thing is actually way worse as in BG3 its not a real bear but a Druid that is shapeshifted. Its certainly not a real life animal, not even in the context of the game.

Oh and the argument that video games normalize anything is dumb as hell, after playing GTAV I had no more urge to run out and gun down hookers, be racist, commit domestic abuse, and rob a bank.

Hell I played Saya no Uta and that is way more fucked up then anything this game is doing.
It remains to be seen when we get to see the full scene but my impression so far is that the bear sex scene in the game is meant to be sex-positive in tone, while comedy skits like the one from Ace Ventura is clearly a raunchy joke that's meant to be ridiculous and played for shock value, not to mention that it happens to a film's villain and he's clearly being violated by a stronger animal for laughs, lol.

I don't think it's that ridiculous to be concerned about a sex-positive portrayal of zoophilia in pop culture, especially in this day an age when wokies are trying to convince everyone that retarded pronouns and pretending to be animals in a sexual context is supposed to be normal. Once you open the floodgates it's all over.

Guilty_AI

It remains to be seen when we get to see the full scene but my impression so far is that the bear sex scene in the game is meant to be sex-positive in tone,
Did you even watch the scene?

Bear-Sex-In-Baldurs-Gate-3.jpg

Gorgon

It remains to be seen when we get to see the full scene but my impression so far is that the bear sex scene in the game is meant to be sex-positive in tone, while comedy skits like the one from Ace Ventura is clearly a raunchy joke that's meant to be ridiculous and played for shock value, not to mention that it happens to a film's villain and he's clearly being violated by a stronger animal for laughs, lol.

I don't think it's that ridiculous to be concerned about a sex-positive portrayal of zoophilia in pop culture, especially in this day an age when wokies are trying to convince everyone that retarded pronouns and pretending to be animals in a sexual context is supposed to be normal. Once you open the floodgates it's all over.

We already have the full scene with the dialogue choices they made played live:

EDIT: Is the video showing as unavailable to you guys? I can watch it no problems in Youtube.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Did you even watch the scene?

Bear-Sex-In-Baldurs-Gate-3.jpg
No, because I couldn't find it.

We already have the full scene with the dialogue choices they made played live:

EDIT: Is the video showing as unavailable to you guys? I can watch it no problems in Youtube.

What's the time stamp?

I just copied the video ID, they probably disabled embedding option on it. Post a direct link as a code snippet instead.

Last edited:

Gorgon

More mental illness being injected into videogames. Was thinking about getting BG 3, but with this bestiality injected into it, no thanks.

Oh, okay, so now we're okay with bestiality all of a sudden?

This is actual goddamned degeneracy and it needs to stop.

It's funny that, given that the other character is a vampire, you all seem to be just fine with the necrophilia.

No, because I couldn't find it.

What's the time stamp?

I just copied the video ID, they probably disabled embedding option on it.

It's around 5.32.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's funny that, given that the other character is a vampire, you all seem to be just fine with the necrophilia.

It's around 5.32.
5:33:54 more or less begins the romance scene/dialogues, better for more context.

Yeah, so I'm guessing you guys don't understand what I'm talking about.

It's humorous but still portrayed in a positive light, as something that both characters want and is meant to be treated as a romantic moment. Read it out loud and maybe then it will sink in: a romantic love scene involving an animal and a man that is not meant to be treated like a gross-out comedy joke.

I don't know how you can interpret the tone of that bear scene in the same way as this:

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

It's humorous but still portrayed in a positive light, as something that both characters want and is meant to be treated as a romantic moment. Read it out loud and maybe then it will sink in: a romantic love scene involving an animal and a man that is not meant to be treated like a gross-out comedy joke.

I don't know how you can interpret the tone of that bear scene in the same way as this:

Now you're just twisting stuff for the sake of your argument. I could just as easily argue this Ace Ventura scene desensitizes and normalizes rape and you wouldn't be able say anything back.

Heck, i could argue games like Doom fetishize gore, there would be no end to anything, everything would be 'problematic'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Gorgon

We get your take, but for us it's "a consensual romantic love scene involving an animal a man shapechanged into an animal and a dead man that is not meant to be treated like a gross-out comedy joke but it's still humouristic and mostly played for laughs (squirrel included)."

Now you're just twisting stuff for the sake of your argument. I could just as easily argue this Ace Ventura scene desensitizes and normalizes rape and you wouldn't be able say anything back.

Heck, i could argue games like Doom fetishize gore, there would be no end to anything, everything would be 'problematic'.

And you would be totally right.

Drizzlehell

Banned
At least the gorilla scene isn't meant to be taken seriously because the movie is clearly a satire. Having some humor in an otherwise romantic love scene doesn't change the fact that it's a guy fucking a bear and it plays out earnestly.

But okay, sure, I guess now we know who would be more open minded to the idea of clapping cheeks with animals, lol.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Explain exactly what is being twisted when a bear making tender love do a man is literally what happens in the scene.

At least the gorilla scene isn't meant to be taken seriously because the movie is clearly a satire. Having some humor in an otherwise romantic love scene doesn't change the fact that it's a guy fucking a bear and it plays out earnestly.

But okay, sure, I guess now we know who would be more open minded to the idea of clapping cheeks with animals, lol.
Oh yeah, cause a shapeshifting druid lovemaking with a vampire is totally meant to be taken seriously

As i said, this is 'seduce the dragon' levels of memeing.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
We get a bunch of new members, and this is a thread on the main page lol. I vote mods hand out some "bear fucker" or "bear lover" tags and be done with it.

Last edited:

Zathalus

You don't have to be open minded to anything. It's a video game, as in it's not real.

Just because you see something in a movie, play in a game, or read in a book doesn't mean you have to be open minded or even approve of it.

Fucking hell, there are thousands of books that have way worse subject matters then this. Not even niche titles but bestsellers like IT.

Last edited:

Gorgon

It's literally a dead guy fucking a shapechanged man. Where's the outcry regarding the necrophilia? Maybe you banged Serena left and right in Skyrim without giving it second tought. What about those aliens in Mass Effect? Where's the outcry on zoophilia there? Or that doesn't count?

See the problem there? What triggers you doesn't necessarily trigger others. And that's OK, especially because the game doesn't force that scene on your character. If it did I could see a point. But it doesn't.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

IT'S SEX WITH A FUCKIN BEAR DO YOU REALLY NEED THEM TO SAY "HEY DON'T DO THAT OK?" ARE YOU THAT STUPID??
SEX POSITIVE?? YOU FUCKIN KIDDING ME RIGHT?

FFS I'm so tired of the stupidity in this world.

xrnzaaas

It's kinda sad how they're building the hype on a weird sex scene. Because they definitely knew how people would react...

Hopefully the game itself is good and doesn't use cheap tricks to maintain the player's attention.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Oh yeah, cause a shapeshifting druid lovemaking with a vampire is totally meant to be taken seriously
1. Vampires aren't real (unlike bears).
2. Vampires are basically humans with some extra abilities, i.e. something that's meant to be fuckable to a normal person (again, unlike bears).

It's literally a dead guy fucking a shapechanged man. Where's the outcry regarding the necrophilia? Maybe you banged Serena left and right in Skyrim without giving it second tought. What about those aliens in Mass Effect? Where's the outcry on zoophilia there? Or that doesn't count?

See the problem there? What triggers you doesn't necessarily trigger others. And that's OK, especially because the game doesn't force that scene on your character. If it did I could see a point. But it doesn't.
Well, the fact that you had to explain that he's some undead guy is telling because without that context he just looks like a normal buff elf guy with glowy eyes. Same for aliens in Mass Effect, which are basically humans with slightly different facial features and it plays out more like an interracial relationship.

With this scene, however, it doesn't take that much imagination to see which fetish is being played to when you see an actual bear mounting a naked guy, regardless of whether he's just a shapeshifting dude or not. It's the same caliber of argument as that 400 year old loli that someone brought up earlier ITT. At the end of the day, it's a guy having sex with an animal.

If you need a reality check then try to picture a situation where you'd have to explain this to your family at a brunch - I doubt that anyone at that table would nod their heads in undestanding.

Last edited:

Fredrik

You can watch the stream of that presentation, they show the whole scene with the dialogue choices.
I know but is it known if woman and bear is a choice too? Larian knows exactly what they’re doing here, pulling all the right strings to get some buzz going. I’m thinking internet will show it’s true colors once a hot lady is on the ground saying she like it large from a bear who says he’ll at least try to be gentle lol

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

It's kinda sad how they're building the hype on a weird sex scene. Because they definitely knew how people would react...

Hopefully the game itself is good and doesn't use cheap tricks to maintain the player's attention.
It was 3+ hour showcase and this was 4 minutes of the whole thing, people just got fixated on it.

Besides that they showed of another romance options, combat, evil pathes, new classes and races, and even an origin story for people who want to go full murder hobo without breaking immersion.

Drizzlehell

Banned
You don't have to be open minded to anything. It's a video game, as in it's not real.

Just because you see something in a movie, play in a game, or read in a book doesn't mean you have to be open minded or even approve of it.

Fucking hell, there are thousands of books that have way worse subject matters then this. Not even niche titles but bestsellers like IT.
Yes, thank you for that condescending reminder that we're talking about a work of fiction.

In case you didn't follow the conversation so far, we're talking about the tone and intent of the scene. And it's pretty hilarious that some users would jump at me so aggressively in order to defend it instead of acknowledging that it's pretty fucking weird, lol.

Last edited:

MHubert

(...)my impression so far is that the bear sex scene in the game is meant to be sex-positive in tone (...)
Wth does that even mean?

I don't think it's that ridiculous to be concerned about a sex-positive portrayal of zoophilia in pop culture, especially in this day an age when wokies are trying to convince everyone that retarded pronouns and pretending to be animals in a sexual context is supposed to be normal.
You sound just like them.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Yes, thank you for that condescending reminder that we're talking about a work of fiction.

In case you didn't follow the conversation so far, we're talking about the tone and intent of the scene. And it's pretty hilarious that some users would jump at me so aggressively in order to defend it instead of acknowledging that it's pretty fucking weird, lol.
Who cares about the tone and scene? It's fiction. Of course it's weird, but if that was a criteria to not include something then you may as well as wipe out a massive amount of fiction.

Did Game of Thrones normalise incest? Did IT normalise child orgies? Did Hannibal normalise cannibalism? Did A Clockwork Orange normalise rape?

It's so odd to me to get hung up on something trivial as consensual and freaky Druid sex.

kevm3

People getting triggered over this but somehow OK with games with sexualized representations of very young looking characters is making me eyerol hard.

More like the same people ok with this are ok with that weird Japanese loli culture.

It's around 5.32.

Who said we're fine with that?

Nobody even knows that the guy is a vampire from just watching the clip. Have a clip of some character going to a graveyard and doing this kind of thing to something that clearly looks undead like a zombie and you'll get the same outrage.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Who cares about the tone and scene? It's fiction. Of course it's weird, but if that was a criteria to not include something then you may as well as wipe out a massive amount of fiction.

Did Game of Thrones normalise incest? Did IT normalise child orgies? Did Hannibal normalise cannibalism? Did A Clockwork Orange normalise rape?

It's so odd to me to get hung up on something trivial as consensual and freaky Druid sex.
None of the examples that you provided portrayed those things in a positive light and that's what you guys are missing here. Bestiality is something that shouldn't be portrayed as anything but a disgusting, degenerate act, get it through your thick skulls already.

Last edited:

Zathalus

None of the examples that you provided portrayed those things in a positive light and that's what you guys are missing here.
Hah, incest was portrayed in a neutral light in A Song of Ice and Fire, at least when it came to Targaryens. And the child orgy scene in IT was clearly written as a positive scene. Hannibal was also mostly portrayed as an anti-hero.

But if you want weird positive things then look no further:

Or just read fanfiction. The odd, illegal, prohibited, unnatural, and forbidden has always been a staple of fiction. Be it books, videos, or games.

People are frankly odd, but very few are going to look at this and think it's normal to go out and fuck a bear. If they did they likely already believed that.

Last edited:

MHubert

More like the same people ok with this are ok with that weird Japanese loli culture.

None of the examples that you provided portrayed those things in a positive light and that's what you guys are missing here. Bestiality is something that shouldn't be portrayed as anything but a disgusting, degenerate act, get it through your thick skulls already.
I think you guys see what you wanna see.

I swear, this is why engaging in woke culture wars doesn't make one any kind of hero.

Turn off the internet and touch some grass

Top Bottom