• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

reinking

Gold Member
It's not bordering....I'm saying it is a thing.

Area 51 Joke GIF

G-Bus

Banned
So.... how hard is this going to be if you have never played D&D or Baldur's Gate?

Been watching a lot of videos lately and there's so many layers. Feels very conplicated. Also been seeing the game itself is quite hard with it beung highly recommended to save before most encounters.

Excited to possibly jump in but worried it's going to be too much.

Guilty_AI

So.... how hard is this going to be if you have never played D&D or Baldur's Gate?

Been watching a lot of videos lately and there's so many layers. Feels very conplicated. Also been seeing the game itself is quite hard with it beung highly recommended to save before most encounters.

Just abuse quicksave to test stuff. See what every button does, use some combat encounters to experiment, etc.
Whenever you get confused by something just google it, there's plenty of info online on both the game and DnD.

Already wrong twice.

It plays exactly like Divinity, with the turns, group chain, pools of shit everywhere.

It's Divinity 3 with a different ruleset.
That ruleset is DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS which is very different from divinity and more like the baldurs gate games of the old days. You know my favourite part of divinity? Resting to replenish charges, rolling 1d8+1 piercing damage with a chance to inflict gaping wounds unless the enemy makes a constitutional saving throw, and then using inspiration to get another chance after failing my ability check

It is turn based. That's the most signifigant difference from baldurs and the reason for the false "its divinity 3 narrative" but actual DnD is turn based anyways

It's true there is pools of blood and fire and stuff, but it would be ridiculous to suggest that was anywhere near as integral to the experience as the way combat machanics and leveling works.

If you don't like the group being chained together drag on their portrait just like the old baldurs gate games. Just remember you'll have to gather you party before venturing forth

Last edited:
There is already an OT for this…

This one is better and we need an up to date OT for official launch. That old OT hasn't been edited since 2020 lol

Last edited:

Madflavor

Let's hear your set ups:

Race: Human
Sex: Male
Class: Fighter 6 (Battlemaster) / Bard 6 (College of Lore)
Alignment: Neutral Good Boy
Main Party: Shadowheart, Gale, and Karlach
Romance: Shadowheart or Karlach

Gorgon

You'll be fine. Make a character with whatever sounds good to you, play on an easier difficulty setting while you're getting used to the game, and just go from there.

First thing: I definitely agree that this game feels more like D:OS3 than the Baldur's Gate games. The 2nd and 5th editions are completely different beasts (just "both being DnD" doesn't mean crap), making BG3 almost as far to BG1 and 2 than Divinity was, and the turn-based combat has definitely nothing in common with the old "real-time with pause".

Second thing: it's my first time seeing his new portrait and OMG WHAT'S WRONG WITH MINSC WHAT DID THEY DO TO MY MAN

Guilty_AI

First thing: I definitely agree that this game feels more like D:OS3 than the Baldur's Gate games. The 2nd and 5th editions are completely different beasts (just "both being DnD" doesn't mean crap), making BG3 almost as far to BG1 and 2 than Divinity was, and the turn-based combat has definitely nothing in common with the old "real-time with pause".

Second thing: it's my first time seeing his new portrait and OMG WHAT'S WRONG WITH MINSC WHAT DID THEY DO TO MY MAN
I don't think Minsc has a portrait in the game yet. The only footage we have of him is from the trailer

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
This looks incredible but at the same time hard/complicated AF and not sure if I'll like it, be great if they'd release a demo of the starting area to see if it's worth a punt, as for MP is couch coop?

Fools idol

Banned
This looks incredible but at the same time hard/complicated AF and not sure if I'll like it, be great if they'd release a demo of the starting area to see if it's worth a punt, as for MP is couch coop?

It isn't that hard if you just play on normal difficulty and take time to understand it isnt your typical rpg, lol

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Did a Sorc back in 2020 EA. Might be good to mix it up. Bard with a multi class splash maybe. Or could Sorc with a point or two in Cleric to open up a lot of combat options.

So many choices. The typical archetypes are covered by the party members so it’s good to experiment.

Labadal

I want to plan a character, but not enough info on the monk.

A web browser based character creator would be cool.

StereoVsn

Consider the game, not sure how I should read this post.
Now, now, don't be the bearer of bad news. Let's not have bearish expectations of that post. 😁

Edit: Forgot to mention, will probably roll a Drow Warlock for maximum Edge factor.

Edit: Drizzt D'Urson is going to be the name naturally. Hmm... Or should I roll a Drow Ranger instead...for even more Edge. 😉

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
So many choices. The typical archetypes are covered by the party members so it’s good to experiment.

I'm tempted to roll dark urge first run since I think it will offer something outside of the box, and Larian have kept very quiet on what this is about... intrigued

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm tempted to roll dark urge first run since I think it will offer something outside of the box, and Larian have kept very quiet on what this is about... intrigued
Sounds similar to the Bhaalspawn origin from BG1 and 2, so that could be the thing to do.

peish

what's a good class for new players? thinking of druid for the secs.

what are origin character, meaning you start with them in the same space ship beginning?

i don't think i can do multiple playthrough, so starting character is kinda important for newbie like me

Guilty_AI

what's a good class for new players? thinking of druid for the secs.

what are origin character, meaning you start with them in the same space ship beginning?

i don't think i can do multiple playthrough, so starting character is kinda important for newbie like me
Origin characters are set characters in the game with their own story and background, most of them (all except the dark urge) being available as companions to recruit throughout the world.

Playing as one means you'll be able to access exclusive story bits for the character in question that you wouldn't see otherwise.

If you're planning for just a single playthrought, i highly recommend going with the dark urge origin, as it seems it'll contain some storybits that have been sort of a mark for the BG games.

Last edited:

peish

Origin characters are set characters in the game with their own story and background, most of them (all except the dark urge) being available as companions to recruit throughout the world.

Playing as one means you'll be able to access exclusive story bits for the character in question that you wouldn't see otherwise.

If you're planning for just a single playthrought, i highly recommend going with the dark urge origin, as it seems it'll contain some storybits that have been sort of a mark for the BG games.

dark urge it is then.

do people playthrough crpg multiple times? for a completionist ocd like me, i cant see 100hours x many times , unless it is an expectation you shouldn't approach crpg for achievements aims.

Guilty_AI

dark urge it is then.

do people playthrough crpg multiple times? for a completionist ocd like me, i cant see 100hours x many times , unless it is an expectation you shouldn't approach crpg for achievements aims.
Yeah, thats not a good expectation to have. Especially since its basically impossible to see everything in one, two or even three runs. Not to mention you're gonna have your fair share of failures because of the way the game is designed.

The main idea in a crpg is really as the name says, role play. Create a character, impersonate it, make decisions based on what you think it'd do, and see where it takes you.

Last edited:

acidagfc

Going to start a moon druid. They are simply broken in a real tabletop DND5 at lower levels (below 9 or so). Other classes catch up in power by this time, but the sheer versatility cannot be beaten.
Being able to sneak as a cat, or swim as a fish, or get near unlimited flight way earlier than other classes, is just way too good of a toolset.

Plus, I will be able to have a consentual bear sex with Halsin and no one will be able to shame us for bestiality. We are both bears, fuck off with you human morals!

Last edited:

Gorgon

I will be a human with Dark Urge for sure. Not sure about class yet. Not sure either if male or female, but if all females are romanceable by a female PC then I may go with female (because having girl-on-girl is kosher for my main character).

Various characters I plan on making:
  • Lore Bard, probably for playing multiplayer with my friends. No idea yet for specifics, race, etc.
  • Kensei Monk if/when the subclass is added; Tiefling, Dark Urge, as evil as can be
  • Half-orc Barbarian 9/Fighter 3. Extra critical dice from half-orc and from Barb 9, going Champion at fighter 3 for crits on 19-20, and Berserker for the Barbarian for Advantage on attack rolls during Frenzy. Sounds pretty nasty on paper.

Sentenza

Play testers whining about rest restrictions and making the feature basically go away is heart-breaking.

Focus testing keeps confirming itself an absolute scourge of good game design.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This is my thinking also, Dark Urge first run, 2nd run once DLC/Expansions are out with probably Wyll or Gale story.

3rd run through in 2026, the future.

Top Bottom