• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco teases new GOD EATER project

Vuze

Didn't see this being posted yet.

Bandai Namco has begun development on a new God Eater project for console, the company announced during its God Eater Online presentation at Tokyo Game Show 2016.
No platform, no title, no release date. It's safe to assume we will see a localized version of the game.

TsDAbmP.png

Teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl-AagsSKJs
Gematsu article: http://gematsu.com/2016/09/god-eater-new-project-announced-console

Announcement tweets:
US: https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/777057029617692672
JP: https://twitter.com/project_ge/status/777046599579033600

Devour me if old.

Oregano

Worth pointing out that Bandai Namco America has uploaded the teaser to youtube as well which means western release/focus.

Rymuth

Bring it, I've just finished God Eater 1 (going back to FF14 to cleanse my palette before jumping into God Eater 2) and I really like the IP. Glad Bamco's sticking with it.

Wonder if the anime'll get a second season.

Edit: Watching the trailer, I have two thoughts-

1) Was that Soma's voice?
2) Three scratches on Fenrir's flag. Three = God Eater 3 (either that or Half Life 3)

If they want to sell this in Japan it needs to be on some kind of handheld. But maybe that's what the mobile God Eater Online is for

LAA

Awesome, encouraging West accounts are acknowledging it, guess this means GE sold well enough in the west this time, finally. Hope it won't be as long of a wait for GE in the west next time.
Wonder if they are going to target only consoles and not vita this time. If they are going for console only, they better push it all out graphically, because I will miss it on Vita if they decide to skip it. It will raise a dilemma between whether the get it on PC or PS4.

ReaperXL7

Please no. Monster hunting belongs to handhelds, local play is crucial to the genre. This is either for PS4/Vita or... for something new.

Nah, I've enjoyed them on handhelds but console controls bring a far superior experiance over handhelds for these games. Consoles also have the advantage of opening up the genre to a larger audience in the west.

I would say that while both Online and Local MP would be preferential, Online multiplayer is far more realistic in the modern age.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Please no. Monster hunting belongs to handhelds, local play is crucial to the genre. This is either for PS4/Vita or... for something new.

Its about time the series moved forward.

You dont realize the obvious which is the Vita is holding back the PS4. Which in terms effects various things with the games design.

This was a similar problem to how the PSP held back the Vita versions of the game.

Hikami

Crazy how this series in the west went from "we're never getting a God Eater 2 localization" to pretty much confirmed to get the next game.

Excited to see what they come up with.

Ogawa-san

You dont realize the obvious which is the Vita is holding back the PS4. Which in terms effects various things with the games design.

This was a similar problem to how the PSP held back the Vita versions of the game.
My dream hunting game is one that's uncompromised by being cross-gen. Shame people think it's just about controls and graphics...

I have no hope, though. Capcom won't do it until the 3DS goes full legacy, Namco won't have the balls to leave the portable hunting crowd either, and KT cross-platform everything (with Nioh being a pleasant surprise).

Oregano

Nah, I've enjoyed them on handhelds but console controls bring a far superior experiance over handhelds for these games. Consoles also have the advantage of opening up the genre to a larger audience in the west.

I would say that while both Online and Local MP would be preferential, Online multiplayer is far more realistic in the modern age.

To be fair they also have the disadvantage of killing their existing audience in Japan. Exhibit A: Toukiden 2.

This.

And with the success the PS4 is seeing in the west, now would be the perfect time to try to expand the series outside Japan.

BigEmil

Eh God Eater isn't as good as Toukiden. Toukiden 2 especially is awesome from the alpha I played

18-Volt

Japanese gamers couldn't care less about visuals. The reason Monster Hunter was crazy popular in Japan was the local coop play. Last time a monster hunting game was on a home console exclusively, it was the least selling Monster Hunter game to date; MH3 on Wii with 900k sales in Japan.

If the series needs to move forward, NX is the right platform, as it's (probably) a handheld. I seriously doubt Namco would ditch the local play aspect of the game. It's the main selling point. If it's not on NX then it's PS4/Vita as usual.

Saphirax

Japanese gamers couldn't care less about visuals. The reason Monster Hunter was crazy popular in Japan was the local coop play. Last time a monster hunting game was on a home console exclusively, it was the least selling Monster Hunter game to date; MH3 on Wii with 900k sales in Japan.

If the series needs to move forward, NX is the right platform, as it's (probably) a handheld. I seriously doubt Namco would ditch the local play aspect of the game. It's the main selling point. If it's not on NX then it's PS4/Vita as usual.

He said game design, not visuals. Since GE did well on Sony's platforms and given the more western focus of this announcement it could possibly be PS4 only(and then Steam for western release). But even Vita/PS4 would be a decent upgrade seeing how both GE games were originally psp games.

Awesome. This is probably going to get development akin to Attack on Titan. It'll be developed for PS4 first and foremost and then ported over (at a cost) to Vita. If this comes to the West it may see a Steam release too, with the same bells and whistles as AoT/GER/GE2RB.

Fisico

For God Eater 2 PSP was the one holding back the game.

wrowa

The last time a Japanese publisher thought it was a good idea to focus the development of its hunting game on PS4, we got Toukiden 2.

I doubt Bandai Namco wants to repeat Koei Tecmo's doubtful success in "how to kill a promising franchise quickly".

Depending on when God Eater 3 is supposed to launch, I wouldn't be surprised if it'll be PS4/NX/Steam instead of PS4/Vita/Steam, though. I don't think we'll still see major Vita support in 2018 and after.

Remains to be seen. Toukiden Kiwami flopped in the West despite being on PS4 and in general the idea that Japanese niche games benefit from PS4's userbase in the rest of the world hasn't been proven by numbers yet. There might be a way to bigger western success, but they also might just be chasing a market that doesn't actually exist for this kind of game.

Awesome. This is probably going to get development akin to Attack on Titan. It'll be developed for PS4 first and foremost and then ported over (at a cost) to Vita. If this comes to the West it may see a Steam release too, with the same bells and whistles as AoT/GER/GE2RB.

That's what Koei Tecmo did with Toukiden 2 as well. Result was that Vita owners ignored the game while PS4 sales were lacking regardless. In the end, Toukiden 2 sold half of what Toukiden 1 did.

RK128

Really don't have much to say outside of me hoping that the game is successful & that Bandai-Namco considers releasing this project on PS Vita for portable play. Nice to see the game is a success in the west and that more God Eater is on the way.

MacTag

Banned
Consoles also have the advantage of opening up the genre to a larger audience in the west.
How many more Japanese hunting games have to tank on PS4/Steam before this myth is debunked?

Nice! Wonder how well God Eater 2 and ressurrection did.
Not amazing on Steam at least. According to Steamspy:

God Eater Resurrection: 36,467 ± 4,929
God Eater 2 Rage Burst: 35,769 ± 4,882

GE2RB PS4 also ranked pretty low in the PAL charts but the fact it showed up at all was probably a miracle.

Ascheroth

How many more Japanese hunting games have to tank on PS4/Steam before this myth is debunked?

God Eater Resurrection:

GE2RB also ranked pretty low in the PAL charts but the fact it showed up at all was probably a miracle.
I can't talk for PS4, but Toukiden is the only one that tanked on Steam, and not because it's a bad game, but because it's a bad port by Tecmo-Koei (who don't have a very good reputation on Steam to put it mildly). God Eater did fine.

That's actually a pretty decent number on Steam for a full-price release of an 'unknown' franchise. The port and game are great, so it's only going to increase with every subsequent sale.

Of course, not having a handheld version or bad version is probably not a good idea for most japanese games.

dracula_x

GE2RB PS4 also ranked pretty low in the PAL charts but the fact it showed up at all was probably a miracle.
just for comparison

Media Create Sales: CY 2015 (2014 Dec 29 - 2016 Jan 03)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277070

[PSV] God Eater 2: Rage Burst <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.02.19} (¥5.690) - 356.996 / NEW (234.180 <80,60%>)
[PS4] God Eater 2: Rage Burst <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.02.19} (¥6.640) - 60.484 / NEW (37.824 <70,00%>)

[PSV] God Eater: Resurrection <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.10.29} (¥5.210) - 175.522 / NEW (126.876 <76,02%>)
[PS4] God Eater: Resurrection <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.10.29} (¥6.170) - 40.730 / NEW (25.700 <73,94%>)

I'm allready happy it charted, didn't expect it to.

dracula_x

I can't talk for PS4, but Toukiden is the only one that tanked on Steam, and not because it's a bad game, but because it's a bad port by Tecmo-Koei (who don't have a very good reputation on Steam to put it mildly). God Eater did fine.

That's actually a pretty decent number on Steam for a full-price release of an 'unknown' franchise. The port and game are great, so it's only going to increase with every subsequent sale.

Of course, not having a handheld version or bad version is probably not a good idea for most japanese games.

~ 35k WW is not fine.

Top Bottom