• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banished |OT| Its like SimTown, but by one guy instead of Maxis, oh and its great

Cerity

THIS SHIT RIGHT HERE.
ifuBGhp.jpg

and also this lol.

hopefully they both get fixed in future updates.

Bedlam

How accessible [for lack of better term] is this game? I'm really interested, but watched a couple of livestreams and the Giantbomb Quicklook and everytime things seem to go south for no apparant reason and everything goes to shit. People die and there seems a point of no return where there basically is no recovery possible.
Yeah, I like Drew but he was playing really badly. Lots of shit started happening but he kept the speed at x10 and didn't really adress those things. Therefore things got worse quickly. And even though he said he played the tutorials, he had no idea how a couple of things worked (the trading post, for example).

I got to 30 citizens and then it seemed to cap me at that number. So they all got old and died. Anyone else had this happen? Thought it was housing but then I built loads of houses. Maybe they were all to closely related or something.
Happened to my first town as well. Most likely it was way too late when you built those houses. People multiply in their 30s, sometimes 40s but definitely not as much. When I started building more houses, people were all older than 50 already and that was that.

Yeah, I like Drew but he was playing really badly. Lots of shit started happening but he kept the speed at x10 and didn't really adress those things. Therefore things got worse quickly. And even though he said he played the tutorials, he had no idea how a couple of things worked (the trading post, for example).

Happened to my first town as well. Most likely it was way too late when you built those houses. People multiply in their 30s, sometimes 40s but definitely not as much. When I started building more houses, people were all older than 50 already and that was that.
I played through the tutorial and had no clue how the trading post worked.

I still don't know what putting more people in it does.

Crap, I think I might have built a school too early - I had a good 60+ citizens, children included, so I built the school but then all the oldies started dying. I've got 14 kids in school and just had 11 old age deaths in one season, so now I can't produce the level of resources I need to sustain the community until these damn kids finish school, lol.

Also, firewood is such a bitch. A real large portion of my workforce ends up dedicated to forestry and log cutting. Same with farming.

It just adds more labourers to move items between the trading post and the warehouse and to auto-buy any items you've instructed them to. Personally, I leave the trading post un-staffed until I see a trader coming, then I move my excess stock over to the trading post.

Cerity

more people in your trading post just makes getting resources faster.

and if you want immediate labourers out of your students just un assign the teacher for a little while. They all turn into labourers straight away.

more people in your trading post just makes getting resources faster.
I figured laborers were doing that. Oh well.

And according to the wiki the number of trade posts you have is what determines how many traders come through.

I should spam that shit up and down that river.

Edit: ^^^ or have your teacher die without an immediate laborer replacement :/

Cerity

iirc the traders move more than the labourers thanks to the wheelbarrows they use. Same with the vendors. It's good to have a few of them at the post if you're trading a lot.

SJRB

Gold Member
If it ever does go wrong, it's because of something you've done. The game requires a bit of foresight but it's something you pick up as you learn about the game. With that it is pretty accessible, if you're playing you just have to be willing to learn at the same time.

Thanks guys. I thought Drew was a pro with his notes and all haha, which is why I thought the game threw unexpected curveballs just to mess with you. Glad that's not the case.

Bedlam

Thanks guys. I thought Drew was a pro with his notes and all haha, which is why I thought the game threw unexpected curveballs just to mess with you. Glad that's not the case.
The game really isn't that hard. The last game of this sort I played was Anno1602 (yes, the first one). So I'm definitely not a "pro" but I'm doing fine (except for the first town where I didn't pay attention to the birthrate and didn't build enough houses).

Yeah but Drew thought the inventory screen was also for telling the traders (the trading boats) what wares you want to buy. ;)

Whenever I'm not sure how something works, I use the help function and it does a pretty good job explaining things.

Qvoth

so uh... sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but what happens to those logs and stones that didn't get put inside the storage pile?
like if the storage pile is full, and they're just left over there where they were collected?

they don't count towards my inventory?

Roshin

Cattle reproduce by magic, it would seem. I traded for one sheep (all I could afford) and put it in a pen, figuring I'll pick up more further on. I just checked and I now have four of the buggers. :D

SJRB

Gold Member
Picked it up, played through the tutorial and now creating my first proper village. Really nice game. Looks great, runs great, easy to understand.

Pro-tip for fellow Europeans: game is € 19.95 on Steam, but $ 19.95 on the Shining Rock website. Buy it there with Paypal and it'll cost you € 14.70. Nice 25% discount and you get a Steam key.

Skinpop

Are chickens even worth getting? The largest chicken pen nets me slightly less than 1000 food(chicken + eggs)/year. Doesn't seem to be much point to it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Are chickens even worth getting? The largest chicken pen nets me slightly less than 1000 food(chicken + eggs)/year. Doesn't seem to be much point to it.

They are only really good for food variety. The amount of food per worker (two herdsmen) is decent actually, plus they create food all year round like fishing huts, where farms are seasonal. But yeah, cattle and sheep are much more important IMHO due to leather and wool.

I finally got my town up over 900 people in the year 107:

The two dips in pop were pretty much only due to old timers dying off in mass. Did have two close calls with food reserves over the decades. No one ever starved but I expanded too fast twice and should have focused more on food production than expanding housing:

I think I'm now going to let this town sit for a bit and try out for some of the more interesting achievements with a new town, like Mountainmen or the one where you can't build farms or orchards.

SJRB

Gold Member
Probably extremely obvious, but how do I get more citizens? I'm still running with 29 citizens, constantly min-maxing depending on what has top priority.

My village is running great, I've overcome the initial struggle for food and resources and now it's a matter of expanding. But I need civies for that.

Bedlam

Probably extremely obvious, but how do I get more citizens? I'm still running with 29 citizens, constantly min-maxing depending on what has top priority.

My village is running great, I've overcome the initial struggle for food and resources and now it's a matter of expanding. But I need civies for that.
Build more houses. People only multiply when young couples can move into new houses; meaning no other people live with them (except the eventual children). Therefore it's not sufficient to build just enough houses so everyone has a place to stay in the beginning. If your people are all older than 50 already, then you might as well start over. That's how my first town died.

SJRB

Gold Member
Build more houses. People only multiply when young couples can move into new houses; meaning no other people live with them (except the eventual children). Therefore it's not sufficient to build just enough houses so everyone has a place to stay in the beginning. If your people are all older than 50 already, then you might as well start over. That's how my first town died.

Well... shit. Haha, I'm kind of screwed then I guess. O well, time to rebuild. Thanks dude.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm going to try and get the "300 pop without schools", "300 pop without traders", and "400 pop without farms/pastures" achievements on the same map (valleys, harsh, hard).

Wish me luck!

>_<

This might suck.

Mengy

I'm going to try and get the "300 pop without schools", "300 pop without traders", and "400 pop without farms/pastures" achievements on the same map (valleys, harsh, hard).

Wish me luck!

>_<

This might suck.

Yep, I'm going to do the exact same thing for my next town. Should be an interesting run...

Ultrabum

This game is super addicting and fun. Does anyone know if different crops have different attributes, or does having multiples simply give you variety and therefore increase happiness?

This game is super addicting and fun. Does anyone know if different crops have different attributes, or does having multiples simply give you variety and therefore increase happiness?
They reach 100% yield at different times. The faster growers stay in storage longer the more variety you have simply from output over use so they are an easy food buffer

Orchards grow at different rates as well, with cherries being the longest growth I believe

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

1. For a balanced diet, you should have at least one type of crop: grains, fruits, and vegetables. A balanced diet increases health and happiness.

2. Some crops grow faster than others. Beans grow the fastest. Corn and peppers grow pretty fast. Other crops like pumpkins are a little slower, but some people have said that they notice that pumpkins are able to withstand the winter cold more. I have no idea about that last point, though.

3. Crop field micromanagement:

The game assigns workers to a crop field by default, but you can tweak this yourself if you want to. Only assign as many workers per field as it takes to harvest it completely before winter sets in. That way you can maximize the amount of food gathered per worker.

Notice how orchard trees are laid out. Notice how two 15x4 orchards contain more trees than one 15x8 orchard. Use this to your advantage.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Wish me luck!

>_<

This might suck.

Welp, a tornado just reduced my population from 125 to 80...lol.

Yep, I'm going to do the exact same thing for my next town. Should be an interesting run...
Good luck!

Dead Man

Just read about this, seems pretty cool, I won't be able to buy it this week anyway, so I think I'll wait for that patch.

Ultrabum

I don't understand woodcutters. Had a game where 3 woodcutters provided enough firewood for 300 people.

In my current game there are 4 woodcutters and they can't make enough for 30 people. There's plenty of wood. They are adjacent to their houses and a stockpile. What gives?

Qvoth

so uh... sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but what happens to those logs and stones that didn't get put inside the storage pile?
like if the storage pile is full, and they're just left over there where they were collected?

they don't count towards my inventory?

guys? please? :(

Grief.exe

I would buy this game right now if I didn't have Resident Evil 4, South Park, and Year Walk all releasing the same week. Couple that with school work and there is no way I will have time.

I have my spring break at the end of the month and I can dedicate some time to it then.

213372bu

Banned
Hey guys, currently interested in the game but I'm on the fence about after being disappointed by the many half-assed attempts in the genre. So I have a few questions.

I know most people here are liking it but, is it worth the full price atm? Also, what other city sim is it the most similar to?

Thanks if you can answer these.

Wrayfield

Hey guys, currently interested in the game but I'm on the fence about after being disappointed by the many half-assed attempts in the genre. So I have a few questions.

I know most people here are liking it but, is it worth the full price atm? Also, what other city sim is it the most similar to?

Thanks if you can answer these.

I think so. Have logged in already 30 hours or so, I still enjoy it. The depth isn't quite as good as with other games, but I find it addictive as hell. Very satisfying when things go right. Also, full price is already half price compared to games by big companies.

aaaah ok.... so if stockpile is already full they're useless

Space is basically the only commodity that is scarce. If you want to keep a massive amount of food and building material on stock, you will find your village full of stockpiles and storage barns. That, in turn, makes the distances for the workers big. Currently at 650 people and while there is space on the large map, it's getting a bit out of hand. Next town, I will place those a bit more strategically. Especially storage barns.

Entering year 18 in my hard start town.

Haven't had any major disasters so far. Had one person catch influenza but had the hospital up already. And had 1 house burn down in my original slum row so I'm okay with it.

Currently trying to get past the initial student slow down. Old timers are dying off and the new generation isn't ready to come up yet cause still in school =(. Putting my expansion plans on hold until the labor population flows returns to normal. No crops or animals yet. I get snow in mid autumn all but one year so far so sticking to gatherers mainly at the moment.

The layout isn't very efficient but I'm just doing a town crawl around the edge of the lake while using the areas further from the water for foresters/gatherers/hunters.

SJRB

Gold Member
I don't understand woodcutters. Had a game where 3 woodcutters provided enough firewood for 300 people.

In my current game there are 4 woodcutters and they can't make enough for 30 people. There's plenty of wood. They are adjacent to their houses and a stockpile. What gives?

I don't fully understand it either. I have 50 people and even after building three woodcutters and assigning 12 actual woodcutting woodcutters on all sides of town there's still shortage of logs [and thus firewood].

Same goes for food, really. I've been doing perfectly fine and suddenly there was a tipping point and now I'm struggling all the time. I don't get it, nothing happened. No exponential growth in citizen numbers, in fact I even over-expanded on food production. At least, or so I thought.

elfinke

For those of you who can compare, does Banished scratch an itch similar to those that Anno1404/Caesar 3 do? I've watched a few Let's Plays/GBQL and read the majority of this thread and I get a very similar vibe from the mechanics of this game, even though there are clear and discernible differences.

Orlandu84

For those of you who can compare, does Banished scratch an itch similar to those that Anno1404/Caesar 3 do? I've watched a few Let's Plays/GBQL and read the majority of this thread and I get a very similar vibe from the mechanics of this game, even though there are clear and discernible differences.

I would say, "YES!" I have found that playing Banished relaxes my emotional stress while stimulating my mind much like Caesar 3. The big difference for me is that Banished seems more limited since it does not have buildings advance - I always loved seeing insulae get bigger! If someone can create a mod that allows homes to advance and require additional goods and services, I will be playing Banished for years.

Skinpop

I would say, "YES!" I have found that playing Banished relaxes my emotional stress while stimulating my mind much like Caesar 3. The big difference for me is that Banished seems more limited since it does not have buildings advance - I always loved seeing insulae get bigger! If someone can create a mod that allows homes to advance and require additional goods and services, I will be playing Banished for years.

cool, I have an avatar-bro. I salute you sir.

Retro

Definitely, though obviously the scale is much smaller (I wouldn't call anything in this game a proper city) and basic survival plays a big role. But if you're a fan of either game, I think you'd feel right at home in Banished.

Mengy

Interesting. NPR posted an article yesterday about none other than Banished:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcon...ike-simcity-without-the-city-but-with-cholera

NPR said:
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."

That famous line, said by Tim Robbins in the film The Shawshank Redemption, perfectly summed up his character's struggle and subsequent escape from the titular prison. It also, however, perfectly encapsulates the feeling of the game Banished, a new indie city-builder from Shining Rock Software.

Very good article and review.

kidko

Any tips for using the brewmaster? It seems like mine is constantly out of resources.... I'll have like 500 apples and the brewmaster uses them all up in a flash and is idling without resources

Top Bottom