• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banished |OT| Its like SimTown, but by one guy instead of Maxis, oh and its great

Jintor

So I was futzing around a bit with Tropico and I really hope they bring the innovation for Tropico 5. Was thinking about it and I way prefer Banished's more organic town growth, which is reflective of its systems.

But the thing in Tropico where shacks pop up everywhere is super cool

Got a great save going at the moment. I played it on Medium starting conditions then Hard to get used to the game (with disasters turned off) and now I've got them turned on, only had one disease break out that conveniently happened about a year after the only time I let some nomads in (had tons of resources so thought why not?)

Map seed: 483184646 if anyone wants to check it out, I can post some screenshots of how I've set it out if anyone wants them.

Population: 195 adults, 29 students (I have 3 schools), 39 children.

Food is on a difficult cycle because most of it is farming, I have each farm set to 6 farmers to maximise my resources but just before harvest things are very tight, trying to branch out more into farming and I will split out some chickens into new pastures soon to double down on eggs/chicken but I have run out of labourers to operate all these places :(

I'd be a bit annoyed if theres a tornado around the corner, haha.

Grief.exe

Staff your trading post and have a variety of materials, as traders are looking for certain items.

I've noticed that sometimes my builders just aren't building my buildings, is there any way to force them onto something?

Staff your trading post and have a variety of materials, as traders are looking for certain items.

I've noticed that sometimes my builders just aren't building my buildings, is there any way to force them onto something?

The menu where you can choose your workforce, there is the option to choose the limit for resources and next to that is an option that is just an up arrow. Click it and select an area, it makes it a higher priority than anything else.

Grief.exe

The menu where you can choose your workforce, there is the option to choose the limit for resources and next to that is an option that is just an up arrow. Click it and select an area, it makes it a higher priority than anything else.

I'll try that.

Literally no one is planting and no one is building right now, just endlessly farming resources.

I'll try that.

Literally no one is planting and no one is building right now, just endlessly farming resources.

If you use the option that tells your citizens to stop farming resources the staff will go and do whatever next on their list. So if they are builders they'll go and do that after.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'll try that.

The increase priority tool, as explained above, is the solution to your problems. Also make sure you have enough builders as indicated, and that you have enough resources stocked up to actually build stuff.

Frologic

Do I need to have the trading post staffed with someone for the merchant to stop by?

Nope. You only need them if you want to store goods from the market and storage barns into your trading post. A cool tip, if your trader is in general labour mode, they're able to carry more goods with the wheelbarrow. Merchants come by at least once a year for me. I believe having more trading posts will increase that.

Grief.exe

Do you have to buy two animals? Or will they breed with just one?

I actually bought three chickens the first time, just to be sure.

Do orchards need to be tended all year?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Do you have to buy two animals? Or will they breed with just one?

I actually bought three chickens the first time, just to be sure.

Do orchards need to be tended all year?

One animal will reproduce with itself, but it sometimes takes a real long time, and I've even had the one animal die on my before it spawned more. I generally buy as many as I can afford when I start a pasture.

Grief.exe

I'm around year 12 in my current city!

I'm having problems keeping up with Log/Firewood and Tool production. I also haven't expanded as much as I would like, so I might be having an issue with too old of a population soon.

One animal will reproduce with itself, but it sometimes takes a real long time, and I've even had the one animal die on my before it spawned more. I generally buy as many as I can afford when I start a pasture.

Alright! I'll buy at least 2 then to insure they produce.

Alright! I'll buy at least 2 then to insure they produce.

I would personally avoid cattle until you can afford a lot of them because they dont produce milk (for some reason) so are only useful when they can be slaughtered for beef and leather.

Cattle reproduces slower as well

Mengy

There were a few of you who showed interest in a Banished challenge, so I went ahead and made a thread.

First place winner gets a $50 game on Steam.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=105332918

I like my official logo :3

Famous-characters-Troll-face-Challenge-accepted-140949.png

Okay, I'll start tomorrow morning. It's supposed to rain all day!

Grief.exe

Anyone see any reviews for this game?

Enhanced Steam is showing a 92% approval rating.

I can tell you this, I'm having a blast with this game. Its a city builder, so you have to find a way to make your own fun in a lot of ways.

Challenging your self with special builds, or expanding into new territories in another way, something like that.

Grief.exe

What is the best way to expand your city?

There is an area very close to my original village that is at the corner of three different lakes. I am thinking of setting up a market, three fishing docks, houses, and some crops/orchards/pastures.

Grief.exe

This is frustrating, late Spring and only two of my fields are being tended. I even assigned extra farmers to the fields that are not being worked and hit the priority for each one.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This is frustrating, late Spring and only two of my fields are being tended. I even assigned extra farmers to the fields that are not being worked and hit the priority for each one.

Make sure that their houses are close enough to the farms, and that the barns are close too. Also, that their other supplies are well taken care of. For example, they might have a decent supply of food, but if they have to keep walking far distances to get firewood, then that cuts into their productivity too.

Farmers do laborer work during the winter, so if they're still occupied collecting resources or something, make sure to cancel that activity to get them to go back in time to start farming in spring.

Grief.exe

Make sure that their houses are close enough to the farms, and that the barns are close too. Also, that their other supplies are well taken care of. For example, they might have a decent supply of food, but if they have to keep walking far distances to get firewood, then that cuts into their productivity too.

All good on this end.

Farmers do laborer work during the winter, so if they're still occupied collecting resources or something, make sure to cancel that activity to get them to go back in time to start farming in spring.

This is what I ended up doing.

I literally highlighted the whole map with 'cancel collection' in late winter and then prioritized the fields in spring.

Grief.exe

With all of the Banished knowledge I have achieved so far I just created my first town with 200 citizens!

In a few more years I will expand my village to a second area that I have cleared out. The expansion area is perfect, plenty of space, close to my original village and access to lakes for plenty of fishing.

Grief.exe

First time trying to set up a second village expansion and I've run into some roadblocks. There are just so many factors to juggle during this juncture of your civilization.

• First Attempt: Accepted Nomads into my city as I was expanding. Contracted a variety of diseases and ran out of food.
  • Second: Denied Nomads, ran out of stone which caused me a variety of issues on the back end.
  • Third Attempt: Expanded my initial city to its limits first as well as building a quarry, before slowly expanding into my new territory. Hopefully this one sticks.

Mengy

First time trying to set up a second village expansion and I've run into some roadblocks. There are just so many factors to juggle during this juncture of your civilization.

• First Attempt: Accepted Nomads into my city as I was expanding. Contracted a variety of diseases and ran out of food.
  • Second: Denied Nomads, ran out of stone which caused me a variety of issues on the back end.
  • Third Attempt: Expanded my initial city to its limits first as well as building a quarry, before slowly expanding into my new territory. Hopefully this one sticks.

Once you get to the high pop numbers, making small gradual changes becomes much more important. Little deficits tend to have a domino effect with large towns, and if you aren't meticulously watching your trends at the town hall then by the time you figure out what is happening the dominos are falling so fast that it becomes challenging to recover. Small changes, watch for the side effects, and adjust things to compensate.

I've had many a town snowball into a rapid downward spiral simply because I wasn't paying enough attention.

Grief.exe

Once you get to the high pop numbers, making small gradual changes becomes much more important. Little deficits tend to have a domino effect with large towns, and if you aren't meticulously watching your trends at the town hall then by the time you figure out what is happening the dominos are falling so fast that it becomes challenging to recover. Small changes, watch for the side effects, and adjust things to compensate.

I've had many a town snowball into a rapid downward spiral simply because I wasn't paying enough attention.

Good advice, I'll make sure to check my graphs more often.

I've made my expansion, and I'm back into the heavy surplus range in terms of food. Currently marginal in terms of firewood/tools but I'm mitigating that currently.

My question is, one of my markets is currently storing the vast majority of my food, while serving the vast minority of my citizens. I'm pulling the worker and pushing it to the other market to catch up, but that is such a strange situation to be in.

I haven't had a single trade ship come by with sheep or cattle, I have almost 200 chickens just from breeding my original three.

Grief.exe

This market thing definitely seems like a glitch, I checked the forums and others are reporting markets are starving them out.

If you look closely, one market is just hogging all the food while the other literally dies on the vine. Its funny how my one market is holding the majority of my food for the minority of my citizens with less staff working there as well.

As I said before, I've just been turning off one market as I see a discrepancy start to develop. Shift the worker over to the other market so they can catch up.

I will try a 3:1 worker ratio next to see if that shifts the balance.

Grief.exe

Holy shit! Start of year 32, I finally have access to sheep! Told the trader to bring cattle next time.

I'm just about to hit 300 population, I slowed way down during my expansion process; now, I've hit a unprecedented surplus period.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
New dev-log

Seems like he has been understandably swamped, but he's working on getting a patch out soon. After that, mod kit.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Oh, that's a shame. I loved the scope of the world.

The end game is to try and complete the challenges (achievements), and from what I've heard those can become pretty difficult.

It's a game that is easily worth picking up.

Mengy

Will pick this up next sale.

Looks wonderfully in-depth.

It's a very solid city/town builder, and quite challenging as well. Maybe punishing is the word, because if you play carelessly you will kill everyone off. It's pretty much the Dark Souls of city builders, lol. I enjoy it immensely, and even though already have over 60 hours into it I'll be playing it for a very long time to come. If you actually go for all of the achievements then the game has a lot of legs, because some of them are extremely challenging.

Had tons of excess food and was building houses anyway so I let 33 odd nomads into my town and unsurprisingly its all going downhill. Got a lot of food still (but dropping) but no logs or firewood :(

Edit: By tons of excess food I mean like, over 15k in stores! I have contingency amounts left in trade posts (probably around 8/9k across both of them)

Grief.exe

Once I learned the ropes I made an amazing town with all of the knowledge I had gained. Got all of these achievements with my latest town at year 33.

9RafiAH.png

Had tons of excess food and was building houses anyway so I let 33 odd nomads into my town and unsurprisingly its all going downhill. Got a lot of food still (but dropping) but no logs or firewood :(

Edit: By tons of excess food I mean like, over 15k in stores! I have contingency amounts left in trade posts (probably around 8/9k across both of them)

I keep saying, if the Nomads would come to me in groups of 4-8 I could let them in, but I can't just let in 30 people into my town. The population explosion alone would take a massive toll on my resources.

Once I learned the ropes I made an amazing town with all of the knowledge I had gained. Got all of these achievements with my latest town at year 33.

I keep saying, if the Nomads would come to me in groups of 4-8 I could let them in, but I can't just let in 30 people into my town. The population explosion alone would take a massive toll on my resources.

I'd let in a group of 13 before and it worked really well, 9 of them were adults and I was a bit short. I have enough labourers to do what I need to, but luckily I saved before I told them they could join.

I'll go back, deny them and try and build some more infrastructure. Ive got a really good map, quite flat and almost all my food is produced though livestock, hunting, fishing and gatherers.

Gathereres provide a shockingly large amount of food for the people that I dont feel like I can bin one off to try and expand my town. I'll have a play around of it tomorrow and see what I can manage. Only got 3 farms, im pissed off that I give each of them 6 farmers to maximise the intake of wheat (which I bought to grow enough to produce ale) but for some reason they screwed it up and I get like 600 wheat per field, on a previous save I got well over 1k for some of them.

Infuriating! Will go back to it tomorrow though.

Well done on the Steam achievements btw

Grief.exe

I'd let in a group of 13 before and it worked really well, 9 of them were adults and I was a bit short. I have enough labourers to do what I need to, but luckily I saved before I told them they could join.

I'll go back, deny them and try and build some more infrastructure. Ive got a really good map, quite flat and almost all my food is produced though livestock, hunting, fishing and gatherers.

Gathereres provide a shockingly large amount of food for the people that I dont feel like I can bin one off to try and expand my town. I'll have a play around of it tomorrow and see what I can manage. Only got 3 farms, im pissed off that I give each of them 6 farmers to maximise the intake of wheat (which I bought to grow enough to produce ale) but for some reason they screwed it up and I get like 600 wheat per field, on a previous save I got well over 1k for some of them.

Infuriating! Will go back to it tomorrow though.

Well done on the Steam achievements btw

haha I just dedicated my entire farming production for the next season to wheat so I will have a massive stock for ale.
I did keep a few farms producing other veggies to keep the variety.

YoungFa

Game is great. I've been playing on a small mountain map to get that achievment, played until year 75 until it got somewhat boring.
Got alot of archievements out that map:
ibblekE939K1wn.png

I think it would be the most productive to get rid of all farming and orchards in the end game and only build pastures. As you get up to 1000 Meat a year with only 2 people working. Plus Leather/Wool. You can trade the meat for fruits and vegetables at 1:3. And you can turn the fruits into ale for more trading, as some vendors don't take food.

Randam

so how fun and motivating is this game?

and why?

had a good time with anno 1404.
but I'm not good a competing with other players(NPCs)

and how complex does banished get?
are there awesome things to build later?

oh. and how hard is it?

Mengy

so how fun and motivating is this game?

and why?

had a good time with anno 1404.
but I not good a competing with other players(NPCs)

and how complex does banished get?
are there awesome things to build later?

oh. and how hard is it?

The game is fun, and challenging, so the motivation is simply to build a town that flourishes. Until you learn the basics it's harder than it sounds. Even after you know the basics, random disasters and such (if you have them turned on) can force you to adjust your strategy fairly frequently.

It's not overly complex from a details point of view, but it can be complex from an execution point of view. Easy to play, hard to master kind of thing.

As far as how hard it is, getting a small town to thrive isn't too bad once you get the hang of it. Keeping a large town healthy and flourishing can be very difficult, and some of the achievements are downright hard to get. Many of the achievements are basically missions in their own right, giving you reasons to play different strategies. There a a few that still elude me, I'll get em eventually though.

If you had a good time with Anno 1404 then you'd probably like this too. It's similar but unique in it's own way, and a really good deal for the price.

What is the best way to ensure that your produce gets moved to a storage facility?

Is it labourers or vendors that that do it better? I look at my saves where I'm low on food and see tons of eggs, mutton, fish etc sitting in the buildings but its not getting collected.

Any suggestions?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What is the best way to ensure that your produce gets moved to a storage facility?

Is it labourers or vendors that that do it better? I look at my saves where I'm low on food and see tons of eggs, mutton, fish etc sitting in the buildings but its not getting collected.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Each job takes their respective foods to the storage barn themselves.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/2014-04-25-patch-coming-soon/

Soon....more details at the link.

Here’s a preview of the change list for the patch so far:

* Mouse buttons now obey system setting for flipped left/right buttons.
* Input options now allow binding of mouse actions.
* Input settings can now be bound to any of eight mouse buttons.
* Fixed a bug that cause meat and other resources to show up in the corner of the map.
* Fixed being able to pop a building back into existence after being damaged by using the cancel removal tool or reclaim button.
* Fixed grave count on cemeteries when it is marked for removal then reclaimed.
* Fixed crash at trading post when trading, dismissing trader, and then selecting a custom order.
* Fixed a bug that allowed auto purchase to over fill the trading post.
* Fixed a bug that caused cycling through laborers to show children and students.
* Foresters no longer cut down orchards.
* Fixed water showing inside merchant boat.
* Builders will no longer walk the long way around to the other side of a bridge or tunnel when constructing it if it’s more than twice the distance to the closer side.
* Fixed building pause icon staying up when a building completes construction after pausing construction.
* Fixed a bug that caused starving or freezing people to get stuck in a loop doing the same job over and over if no food or warmth was available to resolve the starving or freezing issue.
* Fixed a bug that caused pending roads to not be cancelable if they were under a tree, rock, ore, etc.
* Fixed a bug that caused roads to be unremovable.
* Fixed a bug that caused areas to be unusable after roads were removed in certain cases.
* Dirt roads can no longer be quick removed by zoning over them with stone roads and then removing them. They now revert back to dirt roads and work has to be performed to remove them.
* Placing stone roads over pending dirt roads no longer cause unusable areas.
* Disasters are now disabled in tutorials.
* Fixed several spelling and grammatical errors.
* Fixed crash in audio streamer due to missing thread synchronization.
* Fixed a crash that occurred if a video card doesn’t support sampling from a depth texture.
* Windowed mode now allows resizing of the window.
* Window position is now remembered and restored on game shutdown/startup.
* Graphics initialization now has better error handling and exception recovery.
* Added a game launcher that allows changing video settings if the game doesn’t display properly on startup.
* The game launcher only shows if an error occurred, on first time startup, ctrl is held on startup, or /launcher is on the command line.
* Added selection of refresh rate to graphics settings
* Added selection of graphics adapter to graphics settings.
* Save games now check for truncation and crc validation to make sure save games haven’t been corrupted.
* The scene shown on the background of the main menu now has better error checking in case the file has become corrupt. If the file is corrupt it will show the original scene that the game shows on first time startup.
* Files are now created in a temp directory and are moved after writes complete. This stops partial files from being created if a thread crashes while a background thread is performing file I/O.

Mengy

* Foresters no longer cut down orchards.
* Builders will no longer walk the long way around to the other side of a bridge or tunnel when constructing it if it’s more than twice the distance to the closer side.

Outstanding. These two bugs affect me constantly, glad to see them fixed.

Top Bottom