• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Sectus

lol, why was that beat down so epic? Seems like they go down way faster for me.

He restarted the beatdown several times. I'm pretty sure the first few hits during a beatdown either deal 0 damage or close to 0 damage. Once every hit counts towards the combo, it's then you start to deal proper damage. If you don't get interrupted during a beatdown, you can take down the armoured guys a bit faster.

I haven't had any problems with lost saves. Thats just me though, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I thought they released a patch to fix the lost saves issue already?

Ridley327

Considering picking up the PC version tonight (boxed). Are there still problems with it? Is the save delete issue Steam only?

No, it affects the retail version just the same. The benefit to the Steam version is you're better equipped to be able to recover your save, should the situation present itself, as it did for me yesterday. Thankfully, I didn't lose a lot of progress, but it's still not fun.

GFWL causes so much grief than it's worth.

Just finished AA. Going to get AC soon. I did some research and it appears the 360 versions lightly edges out the PS3 version in terms of visuals and performance, which sucks in a sense since I have AA on PS3, but will probably get AC on my 360.

The question - does the playback fuck ups Microsoft did with the Metro 360 dashboard update have any negative impact on gameplay playback? Or is it just restricted to video playback?

I noticed an odd occurrence related to this game. Having recently re-watched The Dark Knight after beating Arkham City, I felt a lot more underwhelmed and disappointed than expected.

I came to the conclusion that a lot of this game marginalized and make a mockery of the movie in my mind. I write this, as I'm curious if anyone has experienced the same thing, or if I'm just crazy.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Arlecchino said:
I noticed an odd occurrence related to this game. Having recently re-watched The Dark Knight after beating Arkham City, I felt a lot more underwhelmed and disappointed than expected.

I came to the conclusion that a lot of this game marginalized and make a mockery of the movie in my mind. I write this, as I'm curious if anyone has experienced the same thing, or if I'm just crazy.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of either of Nolan's Batman movies; they both have extremely weak third-acts and I don't think the action scenes are particularly well directed.

Its weird, because I generally love Nolan's work and I think casting/performances on the whole in the Batman movies are terrific. Poor, poor scripts though - particularly Batman Begins with its ludicrous microwave generator in the sewers as a dispersal mechanism mcguffin.

Marco1

Just finished AA. Going to get AC soon. I did some research and it appears the 360 versions lightly edges out the PS3 version in terms of visuals and performance, which sucks in a sense since I have AA on PS3, but will probably get AC on my 360.

The question - does the playback fuck ups Microsoft did with the Metro 360 dashboard update have any negative impact on gameplay playback? Or is it just restricted to video playback?

I doesn't effect the games.

Considering picking up the PC version tonight (boxed). Are there still problems with it? Is the save delete issue Steam only?

Do not fucking buy the PC version. It's been nearly 2 months now and Rocksteady's policy on corrupted/deleted saves is still to wait for the complaint threads to reach critical mass, then delete them and start over. Zero actual communication on the issue, no fix in sight.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of either of Nolan's Batman movies; they both have extremely weak third-acts and I don't think the action scenes are particularly well directed.

Its weird, because I generally love Nolan's work and I think casting/performances on the whole in the Batman movies are terrific. Poor, poor scripts though - particularly Batman Begins with its ludicrous microwave generator in the sewers as a dispersal mechanism mcguffin.

I enjoy the Nolan-verse of Batman. But I think if I had to choose, I would prefer a more fantastical feel for a Batman movie. More gothic and closer to the atmosphere that the comics have. It's cool that Nolan is making it more based in reality, but like you were saying...it then falls short when they are then trying to convince you of things such as a microwave emitter (Batman Begins) or city wide sonar (The Dark Knight). Another problem with making a more realistic take on Batman is that the majority of his rogues gallery won't work because the characters are way too fantastical. For example, Killer Croc, Clayface, Mr. Freeze, Man-Bat etc. I think that is why I enjoy the he'll out of the Arkham games, cause it is following closely to how the comics are.

broham

Do not fucking buy the PC version. It's been nearly 2 months now and Rocksteady's policy on corrupted/deleted saves is still to wait for the complaint threads to reach critical mass, then delete them and start over. Zero actual communication on the issue, no fix in sight.
If you have it on steam you can fix it. Happened to me yesterday and I was able to fix it by reverting the save file in the steam folder to a previous version.

Unity2012

I have a rare issue with this game I hope someone can, please, share some light and help.

Every time I play the game I get disconnected from Xbox Live while I play. If I go back to the dashboard I am connected again but no during gameplay.

Has anybody had this problem before?

So I'm about to start but I was wondering how is the 3D? Iit's not "real 3D" is it - i.e, utilizing a 3D TV - which I do own.

Or is it something that I shouldn't bother with.

If you have it on steam you can fix it. Happened to me yesterday and I was able to fix it by reverting the save file in the steam folder to a previous version.

Restoring a previous version isn't the problem. For me and many others, the game loses saves so frequently that you simply can't make any progress.

Sectus

Good to know. I'll avoid it.

The save problem isn't THAT widespread. I'm pretty sure the majority of people never experience it. And if you are really worried about it, just keep a backup of the savegame.

I really don't think the savegame issue is enough reason to skip the game considering how good it is.

Unity2012

So I'm about to start but I was wondering how is the 3D? Iit's not "real 3D" is it - i.e, utilizing a 3D TV - which I do own.

Or is it something that I shouldn't bother with.

It does support both stereoscopic and anaglyph; active and passive.

*My suggestion is to make sure your tv set is a bit brighter than usual and using moderate contrast. The game tends to bit too dark at times minimizing the effect and easily straining the eyes.

I haven't had any problems with lost saves. Thats just me though, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I thought they released a patch to fix the lost saves issue already?
Happened to me a couple nights ago after I had completed every single task in the city (all trophies, breakable objects, side missions, the main story, etc.)... everything but the final Riddler showdown.

It took some doing but I was able to get an old save but I still lost 8-9 of tedious progress.

For anyone considering the Steam version, read up ahead of time on how to backup your saves and do it.

I will say that even despite the shit treatment from Rocksteady/WB for PC -- artificial delay(s), terrible communication, broken DX11, and super frustrating save issues -- it was still a pretty awesome game.

beat

That plot point killed me for several reasons:

1) what possible water-soluble poison only works if you breathe it in but not drink it?

2) esp something not only water-soluble but vapor-soluble.

3) Even granting those two insane stretches, water can evaporate on its own even without the application of heat. No one's suffered from fear gas poisoning in the days that Ra's has been infusing the water supply with it?

4) A microwave gun that could vaporize most of the water in a water main would (a) kill everyone in its line of fire horribly and almost instantly, and (b) the resulting pressure in the water main would also cause mass destruction, which is kind of overkill for someone who just wanted to turn the residents insane and make them destroy the city themselves.

5) and why didn't Ra's just drop the poison from above? His evil organization has almost unlimited resources.

Forkball

I beat it today. Arkham Asylum does some things better, but Rocksteady did a great job of making a "turn everything up to 11" type of sequel.

+Arkham City was fun to move around in. It was dense and I never felt lost because of Batman's agility. Everyone praised Spider-Man 2 for making you feel like Spider-Man when you swing through the cities, and this game really captured what it's like to be Batman.

+ Worthwhile unlockables. In AA, by the end of the game, you are still missing a lot of upgrades. I suppose they wanted you to pick a style of play, but you were kind of screwed over in the predator sections if you wanted a more combat oriented Batman and vice versa. In AC, the upgrades are more varied and useful. Even in the end game there's some cool stuff to unlock and try out that totally changes combat.

+ Fantastic artstyle. Yes, everyone is on steroids and women have impossible proportions (DAT TALIA) but I felt like the art was more consistent and realized in this game than in AA. The art deco style of the buildings totally suited Batman and even small things like having each of the villain's thugs have distinct outfits added to the game.

+ Faster, more fluid, and more interesting combat. With the new techniques and moves, it was exciting to pull off massive combos. Since the baddies are a bit more varied this time around, combat is way more dynamic than in AA which just threw hordes after hordes of people at you.

+BETTER BOSS FIGHTS. Not saying much considering AA's reputation, but this game had some standout boss fights. The Freeze fight was a lot of fun and it's what an ideal predator boss fight should be. As a side note, that's how Deus Ex HR should have handled their boss fights.

+ Fan service out the wahoo. Some people think they went overboard with it, but I really liked seeing all the villains and small nods to the Batman mythos. I was really surprised they added
Hush and Azrael
in the game and their sidequests, while brief, were a lot of fun.

- No Scarecrow. WHAT. These were some of the most memorable moments in AA and I can't believe there wasn't even one. Ok, I can appreciate them giving some variety and I know they tried to replicate it a bit with
the Ra's Al Ghul level and Mad Hatter
but I would have like to have seen one, even a secret one.

- Too much Riddler crap. Many people liked all the Riddler trophies in AA, but I didn't bother with them. However, Rocksteady apparently though the Riddler stuff was the greatest gameplay mechanic in the history of everything and shoved so much Riddler crap in this game that you couldn't play for five minutes without seeing a damn glowing green question mark. It makes the overworld look cluttered and kind of kills the art style at times when there's all these electronic green question marks splattered everywhere.

- Could have been a bit longer. I beat the main story and a lot of the sidequests in about 14 hours when it took me 15 hours to get through AA's main story. Maybe because AC had less backtracking and the predator sections weren't as long, but I expected it to be longer considering the open world nature of the game.

Anyways, it's one of my favorite titles of 2011. Bring on Arkham World/Galaxy/Universe.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
- No Scarecrow. WHAT. These were some of the most memorable moments in AA and I can't believe there wasn't even one. Ok, I can appreciate them giving some variety and I know they tried to replicate it a bit with

Yeah I'm replaying AA now and this stuff is amazing. Neither of the two alternates you mentioned even approach it.

Finally playing this on PC, it has been sitting in my steam library since it came out. Gotta say I am in love so far. I love it just as much as AA and seems like a very worthy sequel.

I disagree--I think it was a very smart move not including Scarecrow sequences. Had they done so I think it would have felt too much like a retread of the first, not to mention I think they took it about as far as they could in Asylum. Including it in every Batman game they make would inevitably take away the impact the sequences had to begin with. Scarecrow sequence is really something I feel they shouldn't include on a Batman game checklist. Save it for when it will have the most impact, don't just do it because people expect it.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I disagree--I think it was a very smart move not including Scarecrow sequences. Had they done so I think it would have felt too much like a retread of the first, not to mention I think they took it about as far as they could in Asylum. Including it in every Batman game they make would inevitably take away the impact the sequences had to begin with. Scarecrow sequence is really something I feel they shouldn't include on a Batman game checklist. Save it for when it will have the most impact, don't just do it because people expect it.

You might be right. But the
Ra's Al Ghul and Mad Hatter
segments were never an unexpected surprise like the Scarecrow segments. SO brilliant how you would be walking along and all of a sudden the hallucination would take over. I just played through the AA segment where the screen actually distorts as if the game froze before it happens. This inspired fond memories of Eternal Darkness.

Arkham City never took you by surprise like that. Let's just agree they need to bring him back for the next one.

segments were never an unexpected surprise like the Scarecrow segments.

You didn't find
the Mad Hatter part a surprise?
The expected result in the beginning was fishy, but the degree it went off the expectation was definitely surprising, and in my opinion, better than the Scarecrow sequences.

Bluth54

Everyone is dumb as fuck in Arkham City, Bats a dick, Alfred's a passive-agressive biatch, Oracle blurts out dumb shit, Robin is a pussy...

Love the game but the story is so bad it's good to me.

I thought the Penguin was really dumb in this game. A handcuffed Bruce Wayne beats down a bunch of his thugs, breaks out of the handcuffs, climbs up the side of a building to escape, and suddenly Batman appears later that night.

It's also known that Batman has to be either A)A rich person or B)Funded by a rich person due to the gadgets and vehicles he has. Bruce Wayne is a rich person.

Really how stupid do you have to be not to put 2 and 2 together?

Irish

I actually thought the
Ra's Al Ghul fight was really well done with how it would intersperse flashes of what was actually happening in reality
in with the fight.

Also, Batman with
a sword
was an awesome sequence. I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned that. I kinda wish he had kept the darned thing.

Is there only one mission you get to play as Catwoman in the PC version? I did a mission with her early on, but since then, there hasn't been any with her. I believe I am close to the end of the main game with Batman.

I hope not, as she was a nice change of pace from Batman.

Is there only one mission you get to play as Catwoman in the PC version? I did a mission with her early on, but since then, there hasn't been any with her. I believe I am close to the end of the main game with Batman.

I hope not, as she was a nice change of pace from Batman.
There's more.

You didn't find
the Mad Hatter part a surprise?
The expected result in the beginning was fishy, but the degree it went off the expectation was definitely surprising, and in my opinion, better than the Scarecrow sequences.

If they didn't
show the Mad Hatter after you saved Vicki Vale it would have been a whole lot better.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
you know the game is good when you have been playing for 16 hours in two days and you would play more if you didn't have to sleep.

3220709330_3f53eda373.jpg

Irish

you know the game is good when you have been playing for 16 hours in two days and you would play more if you didn't have to sleep.

Heh... I've put 58 hours into the game... immediately after putting 28 hours into Arkham Asylum which I had just played for the first time... within the last two weeks. What is wrong with me?

I think I know what it was though. I literally stopped and listened to every thug conversation in the game and there was tons of dialogue. Tons. Most people probably interrupted the convos three-quarters or halfway through not realizing just how long they could drone on. It was awesome.

The animations in this game were absolutely incredible. There was also a ton of variation. Really surprised me. Varied animations add so much to a game.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
segments were never an unexpected surprise like the Scarecrow segments. SO brilliant how you would be walking along and all of a sudden the hallucination would take over. I just played through the AA segment where the screen actually distorts as if the game froze before it happens. This inspired fond memories of Eternal Darkness.

Arkham City never took you by surprise like that. Let's just agree they need to bring him back for the next one.
That was during the days of the RROD. And I had just replaced another 360 because of it. I was this close throwing my controller on the floor when I realized the game wasn't frozen.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Been slowly working my way through this and I love it. Question: can I go back to do side missions and hunt trophies after finishing the campaign, like in infamous? Or should I do it now?

Dany

Banned
Been slowly working my way through this and I love it. Question: can I go back to do side missions and hunt trophies after finishing the campaign, like in infamous? Or should I do it now?

You can do them after. Actually your riddler trophies and upgrades carry over to NG+

The moment I stopped focusing on the riddles and started focusing on the story, this game became superb.

This game definitely had climbed higher in my top 10 of 2011 rankings now that I have distanced myself from the holiday madness.

Imbarkus

You can totally go back and do it after. In fact I think the game flows best if you go ahead and do the story missions, maybe one or two side missions, and then finish off the story. Keeps a nice feeling of progression like Arkham Asylum, then go back and do the rest if you are so inclined.

There's plenty of incidental dialogue written for after the main quest is complete, so even the environment holds up.

Reuenthal

Banned
I end up playing more time on the challenge maps than on the main game both with this one and AA. That is after I had finished the main game. I just love the combat and like to try new high scores there. It also good for playing in short sessions.

I would love a full Catwoman game now.

Give her some more abilities, make a stronger focus on stealth/robbery, give her a better vision mode (scent perhaps?), and *POOF* awesome Catwoman game right there!

Imbarkus

I would love a full Catwoman game now.

Give her some more abilities, make a stronger focus on stealth/robbery, give her a better vision mode (scent perhaps?), and *POOF* awesome Catwoman game right there!

Catwoman_Coverart.jpg

How quickly we forget...

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Finished the main game last night - WOW. Probably the best game of 2011 for me.

Really excited to go dick around the city now, too - and I NEVER play postgame content.

I also want to see if Nightwing is around. I wonder if he's playable?

Meier

Died a few times on the Joker fight..got darn close the last time which made it particularly annoying. Great game though, having a blast with it.

I hate the Dick Mode in this. Why do I have to look through a filter to see the important bits?

It should keep everything the way it is normally and only highlight the enemies and objects of interest; I don't want to play the whole game looking through a filter, I don't understand why they do it the way that they do...

I also hate the ice-skating enemies: dude is 20ft away from me winding up a punch and slides all the way over to me to make a connection. BS. The Iceberg Lounge map really shows how broken it is, it's like they learned the melee-lunge from U2 MP.

Leonsito

I'm replaying the game now in NG+ (something I didn't do for AA) and damn, the figths are even better, not having the notification for when to counter makes it so much satisfying.

tjohn86

Bought this when it first came out and the first few hours didn't click for me. Picked it back up due to being snowed in and man... I can't believe how much I'm loving it.

Unlocking Steam and Xbox achievements at the same time is amazing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm replaying the game now in NG+ (something I didn't do for AA) and damn, the figths are even better, not having the notification for when to counter makes it so much satisfying.

I was annoyed when I discovered that starting a game on "hard" didn't remove the noob indicators like the original game did

The indicators are okay for learning the game, but distract from actually learning the enemies' animation cues.

Top Bottom