• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate |OT| Batvania

OmegaZero

After watching various videos of the Vita version, I have to say that I'm not liking the way the combat looks in motion.
They have the enemies surrounding Batman in a 3D space, yet they make him slide up to them while still facing only right or left. Why not have him actually face enemies as he moves or attacks?

It just looks lazy imo.

It really is dumb that instead of making a brand new 2d batman game with metroidvania design aspects, they seem to be spending half of their time and effort trying to make it play as similar to the console games, which will probably hurt it gameplay wise.

No time ever playing AA or AC have i felt these controls would work in a 2d platformer style.

Effect

It doesn't look like Batman's actually connecting with the enemies either. Like he's swinging at them and then they respond instead of him actually hitting them. There also seems to be some weird slowness in the 3DS footage that makes it even slower then the combat purposefully slowing down. That or my eyes are playing tricks on me. It should be any slower then the Vita version, especially if the 3D is turned off.

I still don't get why they tried to replicate the console combat system instead of coming up with something more suitable for the portables. Especially if they were going to use a 2D perspective. It would be something else if they were going for camera view of the console games.

At least with Castlvania Mirror of Fate the combat worked in 2D. There were just other problems with clunkiness, speed, etc.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
After watching various videos of the Vita version, I have to say that I'm not liking the way the combat looks in motion.
They have the enemies surrounding Batman in a 3D space, yet they make him slide up to them while still facing only right or left. Why not have him actually face enemies as he moves or attacks?

It just looks lazy imo.

yeah Freeflow combat while the enemy everywhere and Batman in 2D don't seems to be a good idea.

It doesn't look like Batman's actually connecting with the enemies either. Like he's swinging at them and then they respond instead of him actually hitting them. There also seems to be some weird slowness in the 3DS footage that makes it even slower then the combat purposefully slowing down. That or my eyes are playing tricks on me. It should be any slower then the Vita version, especially if the 3D is turned off.

I still don't get why they tried to replicate the console combat system instead of coming up with something more suitable for the portables. Especially if they were going to use a 2D perspective. It would be something else if they were going for camera view of the console games.

At least with Castlvania Mirror of Fate the combat worked in 2D. There were just other problems with clunkiness, speed, etc.

I think they want to sell to the "Arkham" series fans, it can explain why they copied many thing that don't fit 2.5 game (like 1st person cam when Batman enters a vent). They could've make Mark of the Ninja clone with Batman or replaced the combat with something simple and more metroidvania-like but that will not sell to the Arkham series fanbase.

WB really need to put a demo for us to see how well the combat work.

I really want this to be good! the team behind it seems pretty solid but from what I've seen it looks average at best. Maybe a PS plus game or a bargain bin.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
fuck would a mark of ninja style batman game be great. they really should have hired that team to make one :(

Cassandra Cain (since she can dodge bullets and use swords) + Klei Entertainment = Mark of Cain

maybe WB is waiting for Cass to return to the New 52 before doing that ;_;

Garibaldi

Will pick this up on Vita after polishing off origins. I just hope the digital version isn't a rip off. Trying stick to digital only on the handheld.

Tsukumo

I played it for a few at e3. Enjoyed it. Going to be balls-deep in the console version first though. I"ll probably buy it late next month

A couple of questions then, about the things that bother me the most:

1- how did the combat felt? From the E3 video the animations looked extremely clunky. Also the rhythm of the fight seemed...I don't know, messed up? I think Rocksteady nailed the timing of a (videogame) fist-fight in the Arkham games, Armature seemed more prone to imitate it rather then re-invent it.

2-the locations, seemed to have been made drab on purpose. I guess I'd like to know if the game vibed some sort...dark mood, or if it's simply Armature approach to go for something more realistic.

Ridley327

We got the strategy guides in work today. Although 90% of the book covers Origins, they do have this weird, sorta half-assed bit in the back for Blackgate that read like a Cliffnotes version of the game. They just have area maps and miniboss/boss strategies. Tough break.

No difficulty trophies, and a whole lot of collection/exploration-based trophies.

Ephemeris

A couple of questions then, about the things that bother me the most:

1- how did the combat felt? From the E3 video the animations looked extremely clunky. Also the rhythm of the fight seemed...I don't know, messed up? I think Rocksteady nailed the timing of a (videogame) fist-fight in the Arkham games, Armature seemed more prone to imitate it rather then re-invent it.

2-the locations, seemed to have been made drab on purpose. I guess I'd like to know if the game vibed some sort...dark mood, or if it's simply Armature approach to go for something more realistic.

Now as you know, things could definitely have changed since June. Plus I may be fuzzy on some details

1- That statement about the rhythm was spot-on for me. I recall wondering if it was slower than the console versions.

2 - They seemed okay to me. I spent more time chasing Catwoman than anything else. I don't remember if I saw the demo all the way through. Not slighting the game, but I found it before I found Arkham Origins .. and I wanted to play that one more lol

diffusionx

Gold Member
The videos of this game look so bad. The combat is so slow and the way the enemies just line up and fight looks awful. And all the world stuff (scanning etc.) in 2D... it's so dumb.

They obviously tried to translate the Arkham mechanics to a 2D game but it doesn't look like it is working. I think there's a reason why WB has been a bit quiet about this. It looks like a huge turd.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm going pull the trigger on this too. I was kind of on the fence about it since I'm still enjoying GTA, and getting Origins, but I also have nearly $80 in PSN bucks to use, so this seems like a good excuse to play something new on Vita.

It looks great on both handhelds.

Takao

Banned
So is it 10 hours or 10 hours after getting all endings? I'm likely not going to play the game 3 whole times just to see a different ending and possibly get a trophy.

10 hours for the first play through.

Why are the release dates for the 3DS version all over the place? While the Vita version is launching all at once?

I had a feeling both versions were not treated equally and didn't buy that both versions were being developed in parallel as their own things. I still think the Vita version, despite the 3DS being a much larger success everywhere, was the lead sku and treated better. It being the one shown off and it's release dates being less of a mess just adds to that. Doesn't matter where the developers originally came from.

Maybe WB can't get the carts made in time? As for promotion, it's not shocking that they would want to demonstrate the better looking version.

Ridley327

If there are any trophy whores in here, it does look like you'll have to play the game three times through to get the platinum, because of the way the game handles alternate costumes in the game. There's also a bonus costume you get for linking the Vita version up with the PS3 version, which doesn't count towards the trophy for getting all of the costumes.

In case anyone is wondering what they changed about the costumes (non-story related spoilers):
There's pieces of costumes hidden throughout the game, but in order to complete three of them, you save a particular boss for last, which will drop that costume's belt as the final piece. It looks like the final costume unlocks when you find all of the other pieces of the other costumes, hence why three playthroughs are needed.

Eusis

Maybe WB can't get the carts made in time? As for promotion, it's not shocking that they would want to demonstrate the better looking version.
It's essentially the same as demoing PC builds over console builds: You can (probably) count on the console builds to run well enough, but they want to show off that really nice looking PC build instead.

Really hoping this turns out well, since I'm much more interested in this version than the console version of Origins. Still debating on 3DS vs. Vita. My Vita 32GB card is full, so I'd have to do some shuffling around, but I think it will be worth it for the better visuals. Will definitely wait on reviews before committing either way.

I'm still holding out hope that this will be good, but I agree about the graphics. It's just not a pretty game. The Arkham art and graphic style doesn't lend itself well to being downgraded and zoomed out into a 2D title. THey should have let Armature come up with a unique style more appropriate for this game. Something more similar to Guacamelee, not in terms of tone and cartoony-ness but maybe in terms of simplicity and clarity.

xclaw

Any idea when we'd see some reviews trickle out? Seems like it's "release day" EST by now.

Edit - NVM for some reason I thought it was out tomorrow but it's the 25th.

Cassandra Cain (since she can dodge bullets and use swords) + Klei Entertainment = Mark of Cain

Nah, New 52 fucked up any chance of that happening with Shiva supposedly being the same age as Nightwing. :(

In every thread about a DC game you bring up Cassandra Cain. Look, I loved her series too. I think she was one of the best things to happen to the Bat Family in a long time, but DC apparently disagrees A LOT. She's not coming back. It's time to let her go.

Nah, New 52 fucked up any chance of that happening with Shiva supposedly being the same age as Nightwing. :(

Same age? You sure? I'm fuzzy on the details, but I do remember Dick still being a squirt the first time he fought Shiva in the New 52, and she didn't quite look like she was the same age as him. Maybe I missed something.

EDIT: You know what, nevermind. The New 52 is so convoluted and everything is so ambiguous that it's not even worth discussing. They don't know if Tim was even Robin or not, every writer says something different.

Eusis

I'm still holding out hope that this will be good, but I agree about the graphics. It's just not a pretty game. The Arkham art and graphic style doesn't lend itself well to being downgraded and zoomed out into a 2D title. THey should have let Armature come up with a unique style more appropriate for this game. Something more similar to Guacamelee, not in terms of tone and cartoony-ness but maybe in terms of simplicity and clarity.
One example may be Smash Bros 3DS versus Wii U. 3DS seemed to have gone with a more cel-shaded like style, and they probably could've done the same here.

Though I do imagine it'll hold up better on Vita at least than on 3DS, part of why I'd rather get that version.

Takao

Banned
The store page for the game is up on PSN:

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...gate/cid=UP1018-PCSE00269_00-BATMANARCORIGINS

Developed by Armature Studio, BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS BLACKGATE is a 2.5-D game set after the events of Batman: Arkham Origins. Players continue the storyline of the console version and discover more details of the Dark Knight’s past. After gang-fueled uprisings occur within the walls of Blackgate Prison, Batman is called in to restore order and put an end to the rebellion before the chaos implodes.

Featuring stealth gameplay, free-flow combat, and Batman’s infamous gadgets, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate captures the genuine Arkham feel players have come to appreciate for the very first time on the handheld format.

Yanikun

Banned
Whoever gets it first has to post videos!

tumblr_mmwhekX4jT1rnev0oo1_500.gif

Sothpaw

Same here, this look like it's doing new stuff and metroidvania too (I liked AA more than AC because of the metroidvania feel of it and also many other reasons) while Origin seems to be the same old tired formula as Arkham City but in new location. Also Armature are ex Retro guys, so yeah.

I already got a pre order for Blackgate, will get Origin when it get cheaper on steam.

Exactly what I'm doing. Xmas sale probably.

Top Bottom