• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield V Beta |OT| Sisters in (prosthetic) arms

cormack12

Gold Member
PRE-LOAD OF OPEN BETA STARTS
September 3, 1 am PT (10 am CET)

OPEN BETA EARLY ACCESS STARTS (Pre-Order, EA Access, Origin Access)
September 4, 1 am PT (10 am CET)

OPEN BETA AVAILABLE FOR EVERYONE
September 6, 1 am PT (10 am CET)

OPEN BETA ENDS
September 11, 7 am PT (4 pm CET)

openbeta-blogpost-1-web.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.1455w.jpg

openbeta-blogpost-2-web.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.1455w.jpg

openbeta-blogpost-3-web.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.1455w.jpg

openbeta-blogpost-4-web.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.1455w.jpg

you’ll be able to play both Conquest and two “days” of the Grand Operation Fall of Norway. Those are in-game days, by the way – not the 24-hour kind. Grand Operations contain several of these days, with one game mode featured in each.

In Fall of Norway, Day 1 will be spent in the Airborne mode, where you’ll paradrop down to the battlefield and be on either side of a fight where explosives are deployed on control points. Day 2 features Breakthrough, where your team either attacks or defends vital sectors. In this mode, stay aggressive and tactical as an attacker – or use on-the-fly planning to keep the enemy at bay when defending.

Then there’s new scenery to explore: Rotterdam. You’ll fight in the streets of the Dutch city in its pristine, pre-war state before battles left it in devastation. Deploy on this map and try the signature Battlefield game mode: Conquest. Returning to classic rules, Conquest is a 64-player fight where two teams fight for control over key flags on the map. Hold the majority of these points to drain the opposition’s score and win the day.

Not got this pre-ordered but going to be hopping in from September 6th. Any other EU gaffers joining the fight?

Acidizer

Banned
I don't do betas but will be picking this up when it releases. Playing the latest COD campaign at Xmas time is a tradition in itself. That's obviously now fucked... BF will need to step in.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Here's a clip of the available options in the beta on Xbox:

Good to see the FOV slider make another return. Also that background is dynamic. Your custom squad will be displayed there including the cosmetic items. Pretty dope.

Snoopycat

Banned
I'll give it a shot. So far I haven't had much interest in it because it don't look very exciting but maybe it'll be ok

cryptoadam

Banned
I am going to be in. Will suck one the Beta is over and then we will have the long wait till November for the full game.

cryptoadam

Banned
can I pre order on PSN today/tomorrow and still get in early on the open beta?

I am going to buy this game anyways might as well get it over with if I get some extra beta time.

LordPezix

Still a pass for me. Exhausted on the WWI and WWII area. Future stuff is awesome but I really like games grounded in a modern theme.

I hope they pull through with enough still intact to hopefully deliver us a Bad Company Vietnam style game again. Jesus I would dump some time into that if it were coming out.

So I played a round and squads seem to be disabled. As such, every time you die you're taken to the squad respawn menu, except you can't respawn on anyone so you have to click the spawn overview button and select a new spawn point to start your assault anew with every death. It's needlessly annoying, to say the least.
Not to mention, playing without a squad in modern Battlefield isn't the ideal way to play the game. Not sure what DICE was thinking with releasing the beta with no squads.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Revolutionary Revolutionary that's really odd considering they made a huge deal of squads and how you would automatically be assigned one. I haven't pre-ordered so I'm on the pleb list until the 6th . Is it a known issue on the battlelog forums?

mitchman

Gold Member
I pre-ordered the full game yesterday on PS4 and it said it would re-load in 43 days, no sign of any beta pre-load. Will this change?

cormack12

Gold Member
I pre-ordered the full game yesterday on PS4 and it said it would re-load in 43 days, no sign of any beta pre-load. Will this change?

You have to go search for it specifically in the store. Battlefield V Open Beta, then you should be able to just enter the games and not get a locked screen.

Revolutionary Revolutionary that's really odd considering they made a huge deal of squads and how you would automatically be assigned one. I haven't pre-ordered so I'm on the pleb list until the 6th . Is it a known issue on the battlelog forums?
I didn't even know Battlelog still existed haha. But I checked and sure enough, there's a stickied thread about the beta issues right now: https://forums.battlefield.com/en-u...ta-matchmaking-and-squad-join-issues/p1?new=1
Seems like it's a bug so hopefully they can sort it out before the beta ends.

Game is much more campy and plays into snipers hands with no glints....going to be interesting to see if they add that back in as you can rack up a fuckload of kills just sitting on a mountain sniping

Xeilyn

Its a shame this game has gotten so much bad press because i think its the best BF in terms of gameplay and presentation, im never gonna play BF1 again after playing this.

Obviously alot of bugs and some questionable design decisions that i hope gets fixed/tweaked.
Game is much more campy and plays into snipers hands with no glints....going to be interesting to see if they add that back in as you can rack up a fuckload of kills just sitting on a mountain sniping
Scope glint is in the game AFAIK but only for long range sights, i dont think its needed though. Snipers do less damage over range compared to BF1 and you have to lead your shots more in this, ad in the removal of the sweetspot mechanic and the fact that you spawn with less ammo and id say its worse than even BF4. Scope glint doesnt really change anything either if you're a good recon player, it just makes it easier to spot those that camp on a hill all the way in the back with 5 kills in a 30 minute game.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
You have to go search for it specifically in the store. Battlefield V Open Beta, then you should be able to just enter the games and not get a locked screen.
Did this, but it says I don't have early access, even though I had already pre-ordered the game.

Edit:

Nvm, had to go to the ingame store to unlock my access license.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned

You can't rack up a "fuckload of kills" without a "fuckload of ammo". You aren't going to have any ammo on a mountain by yourself. If you have a pocket support throwing you ammo he isn't going to be doing anything else useful and neither of you are going to be playing objectives up on that mountain.

Watch Stodeh on twitch. Plays sniper almost entirely as a skirmisher, which is going to be the only way to play sniper and be really effective in BFV.

Looks like they've fixed the squad stuff already, rolling restarts on the servers to propagate the fix.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Any of you guys linked to twitch and gonna stream for us plebs - don't need comms, just pictures! Get an eye in for the map routes etc.

Any impressions from those playing already? I’m waiting for open beta tomorrow.

Man what a disappointment. This will be the first Battlefield I do not buy. I will try the EA access full game trial to see if things have improved but so far the graphics look worse than Battlefield 1, the game is very quiet it's like all you hear your footsteps, the game has a super slow pace with barely any action because the maps are too big, and it just lacking a lot of intensity. The Gunplay and movement feel much better so I'm hoping things will change by the full game

YayNJ

Banned
Man what a disappointment. This will be the first Battlefield I do not buy. I will try the EA access full game trial to see if things have improved but so far the graphics look worse than Battlefield 1, the game is very quiet it's like all you hear your footsteps, the game has a super slow pace with barely any action because the maps are too big, and it just lacking a lot of intensity. The Gunplay and movement feel much better so I'm hoping things will change by the full game

Silent? I think you need to turn your speakers on. This game literally has my living room shaking. The bullets, planes, explosions from canons it's amazing. And moaning because the maps are too big? Have you played Battlefield before?

No offence, but reading your "early review" I'd wager you haven't played it.

Silent? I think you need to turn your speakers on. This game literally has my living room shaking. The bullets, planes, explosions from canons it's amazing. And moaning because the maps are too big? Have you played Battlefield before?

I have to agree the sound is great even without an atmos option. Overall I like the game more than BF1 so far

It's a common complaint that I've read on multiple sites. The game sounds "empty". Of course it's a Beta not a finished product.

Impressions: TTK is super low and staying with your squad is crucial. Otherwise you will die fast and/or run out of ammo quick.

Last edited:

Calm down

Calm down dude. I have played it and that's my opinion.

Massive improvement on BF1. The sound design is absolutely amazing.

Sounds good - if you pardon the pun. I'm really excited for this game, big Battlefield fan. Just have to keep putting the pennies away for a PC upgrade! Does the action feel as epic as always?

betrayal

Banned
How is it compared to BF1? What are the big changes in gameplay that really affects the feeling of the game?

Right now i can't even bother to download the beta, because after watching the videos i had to double check if i was watching old BF1 videos.

Last edited:

xviper

played a few matches

pretty much an expansion to BF1, i wouldn't even call it BF1.5

if people didn't lie and tell the truth about BF1, we would have gotten a proper modern age Battlefield, but since most "Fans" are bullshitting themselves with BF1, enjoy more of the same worst mainline BF game ever

Last edited:

Masatshi

I was sceptical... I must admit.... now been playing 2 days in a row. very impressed with the game already in this state! tons of fun! gunplay is fantastic! and overall gameplay is MUCH better than the chaos that was BF1... day one for me!

Snoopycat

Banned
Played a couple of matches. It's alright, nothing special. The Rotterdam map is nice. The one thing I notice was turning when aiming down sights is way too slow. I tried whacking up the sensitivity but if your aiming forward and someone shoots from behind, your dead before you can react. I like the ammo changes. It adds a bit more challenge and stops people running about like they Rambo.

I played as a medic and they got to do something to make it clearer when people need reviving. I had a guy drop 4 ft from me and thought he was a sniper cos there was nothing to indicate he was down. The longer respawn is ok. I don't like instant revives, especially after you just killed some guy, go round a corner and he's standing there waiting.

The game's alright but I wouldn't pay full price for it. It's not innovative and doesn't do anything to stand out from the last one. If they sold it as an expansion to BF1 for around £20 -£25, then yeah, but there's nothing here that's worth spending £50 on.

DonF

Sisters in (prosthetic) arms
dDvgKHd.gif

tried it last night on ps4 pro. The menus made my mostly silent console go all blitzkrieg. 10/10 Experience.

edit: reddit is reporting that the chat profanity filter is actually censoring the word DLC, lul. EA gotta EA.
iu34mw9reik11.jpg

Last edited:

Xeilyn

How is it compared to BF1? What are the big changes in gameplay that really affects the feeling of the game?

Right now i can't even bother to download the beta, because after watching the videos i had to double check if i was watching old BF1 videos.
The gunplay is completely revamped, no more random bullet deviation like BF1, the bullets go where you aim and the weapons have their own recoil patterns to master. Attachements dont affect the performance of the weapon anymore and they have instead adden a upgrade system for every weapon(similar to perks in COD) that decide how the weapons perform, long range focus vs. close range focus and so on.

Recon is the only class that can 3D spot with a spotting scope so no more spamming the spot button and firing at doritos the whole match.

The new attrition system makes teamplay more important since you spawn with less ammo and dont regen to full health without a med kit, every class can revive(the medic class revive faster).

The fortification system lets you build cover around capture points, foxholes, tank traps to stop tanks or bridges for tanks to take different routes etc.

The ticket bleed system from BF4 is back.

Then we have a ton of small stuff like being able to throw back grenades or shoot them in the air, grabbing ledges that would have been to far from you in previous games, being able to dive in every direction, bullet penetration.

Its not perfect, the upgrade system is pretty bad, lots of bugs and vehicles feels really weak but its much better than BF1.

People saying its BF1.5 have no idea what they are talking about, it might look like it on the surface due to the obviously similar setting but this is the biggest change in BF so far and if people were fine with BF3 to BF4 then they definitely cant complain about this since the changes are much bigger.
The one thing I notice was turning when aiming down sights is way too slow. I tried whacking up the sensitivity but if your aiming forward and someone shoots from behind, your dead before you can react.
The sensitivity settings are apparently bugged

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I like the OT title. I wish I could say the same about the game though. Man is it bad. I'm on PS4 Pro and there's so many dropped frames and slowdown as soon as there's any kind of action; ton of graphical glitches too. The terrain detail changing so drastically a few feet in front of you is so off putting as well, especially on the Rotterdam map, where bricks and debris appearing right at your feet almost. The worst thing by far though is the fact that if you switch to one of your class special items/weapons or the hammer, there's no way to switch back to your main weapons, you have to use up all the ammo in your special to get it to switch back automatically. Like wtf seriously? I mean maybe there actually is a way to do it but it certainly not obvious or intuitive. When I play the medic class, the med pouches won't work and there's a prompt that sometimes appears for you to drop ammo pouches as a medic. Also I don't know if it's because I have HDR turned on but it seems really hard to see shit as soon as there's little less light. Like you're in the street in broad daylight and its bright and you turn into an alley and it's like it's night time or something and you can't see shit it's fucking weird, I had to turn up the brightness to make it playable. The Rotterdam map is so restrictive, it forces you into the narrow corridors of the streets like a CoD map, there's almost no verticality and certainly no freedom of verticality, like you can't access the rooftops or anything. Just like BF1 there's almost no vehicles. just like 1 tank and a couple of planes per side. I didn't see any other type of military vehicle.

To me BFV is not Battlefield, it's CoD with a bit bigger maps and a couple of vehicles like World at War had. BF4 is Battlefield. It has tons of vehicles on the map at the same time, tons of tanks, jeeps, APCs, helicopters, jetskis, boats, jets heck even an AC-130. there was pretty much always a vehicle available to you if you wanted one You could go anywhere on the map, even on top of skyscrapers. It's actually hectic all out warfare which is what BF is supposed to be:

I pretty much played BF4 non stop for 2 years without ever getting tired of it. The only reason I stopped playing it was because DICE just nerfed a bunch of weapons, vehicles and gadgets I liked and they removed all verticality on the small TDM maps by removing all ladders and disabling all elevators.

DICE fooled me once with BF1, they will not do it again. Especially not with such a buggy mess.

Top Bottom