• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 Has An Optional Censorship Mode

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lol @ the name of the mode.

Platinum just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about character action game culture (I'm an expert), but absurd sexualization is a huge part of it. It's not like it is with other games where you can become successful by having a sexuality toggle. If you have a sexuality toggle in your character action game, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the character action game public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Bayonetta 3 for the Nintendo Switch, nor will they purchase any of Platinum's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Platinum has alienated an entire market with this move.

Platinum, publicly apologize and remove naive angel mode for Bayonetta 3 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Copied this from Resetera, there are actually some funny people in that thread
Copied this from....where?

VN1X

Banned
I like Bayonetta because it's a game that proves women can look beautiful by society standards and still be baddass and respected.
No offense but this is some cringe and a half.

No one plays Bayonetta because of "society this and that" lol. People play it because it's the best damn character action game around (which just so happens to feature a scantily clad lady with an attitude)! No need to make it a socio-political issue, you can leave that to the smooth brains on twitter.

Last edited:

Fbh

If it's optional I don't see the issue. I'd be nice if more games did it like this.

It's sad that they even had to do this, I mean, the game is rated M. It's why ratings exist. But, better safe than sorry I guess. Especially in this day and age where people can rage about anything and everything.

Not every company that does things like this HAS to do them. As the screenshots above show, the Era type users will still be upset the uncensored version is available.
It was probably simple enough to implement and they know some people might just not want to play as some naked lady in their living room with other people around

Pejo

Silly that dev resources were spent on this, but if it means I can play the game uncensored, it's fine.

It's also fun because it's kinda poking fun of crybaby gamers that need to have their thighs and armpits censored for them.

Kinda like this but for boobs instead of difficulty.

xDnTxzn.jpg

MiguelItUp

Not every company that does things like this HAS to do them. As the screenshots above show, the Era type users will still be upset the uncensored version is available.
It was probably simple enough to implement and they know some people might just not want to play as some naked lady in their living room with other people around
Of course, which is why I applaud that they're even "going out of their way" to provide such a thing. Totally. But again, the effort, even if small ,is nice.

I've just been a safe than sorry person with anything. Well, and games having choices. Because for every choice that's provided SOMEONE out there is going to use it, haha.

Draugoth

Gold Member
No offense but this is some cringe and a half.

No one plays Bayonetta because of "society this and that" lol. People play it because it's the best damn character action game around (which just so happens to feature a scantily clad lady with an attitude)! No need to make it a socio-political issue, you can leave that to the smooth brains on twitter.

It's okay. I'm cringe.

Codes 208

Im vaguely reminded of when gears of war had an optional censorship mode where the blood was replaced by flowers

But i digress, nintendo and platinum making it an option instead of forcing it is the superior move. Take notes on this sony

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Rated MS for "Mature Snowflakes".

Yeah, turn off the "awkward stuff" in the room, while your friends, kids and family will still be disgusted by monsters, gore, etc.

People really like to be called clowns these days.

Last edited:
PYvjpcA.png

Remember: It will never be good enough.

giphy.webp

I decided to do some research and actually look at the thread over there. All 5 pages read and around 85% of the thread agree with the takes here, that it's a good thing to be left as a choice and that it's mainly for people who are playing in a living room. 10% of other comments could be considered possibly sarcasm and the remaining 5% are part of the few you've cherry picked for some free GAF likes.

You're better than this Dr. Samuel Hayden Dr. Samuel Hayden

Neilg

lol. Love the mode & the name.
And I absolutely would switch this on if my wife decided to sit next to me while I was playing. Ain't got time for that conversation.

Bartski

Gold Member
giphy.webp

I decided to do some research and actually look at the thread over there. All 5 pages read and around 85% of the thread agree with the takes here, that it's a good thing to be left as a choice and that it's mainly for people who are playing in a living room. 10% of other comments could be considered possibly sarcasm and the remaining 5% are part of the few you've cherry picked for some free GAF likes.

that thread is a mod meltdown in the making

that thread is a mod meltdown in the making
Maybe, maybe not. However it seems more nuanced than that and it makes things worse when we try so hard to paint this picture of them always being on opposite ends from us, because all it takes is one guy here to go look over there, come back here and then think that we're the crazy ones because of posts like the one I've quoted above.

If some here are so adamant to dunk on a site that doesn't care about what we think of them, you should wait for them to collectively fall on that sword first before calling it out.

giphy.webp

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Was just a screencap I saw. If most of them like it then kudos, a rare moment of sanity from them.

Klayzer

giphy.webp

That's usually how it goes here. Cherry pick posts, circle jerk each other for internet pats on the back.

Aenima

PYvjpcA.png

Remember: It will never be good enough.
Just burn the asylum down already. Did they complained about Cyberpunk also having an optional censorship mode? Oh right, almost forgot they straigh up banned any Cyberpunk discussion.

Its a cool feauture to avoid mandatory censorship. Wish more devs with spicy content do the same instead of straigh up cencoring the games for certain contries or platforms.

Cyberpunk, Conan Exiles and a few others are also games that have a togle to censor or uncensor some content, but those games actually have full nudity.

Mithos

Bravo Platinum!

This is a perfect solution and I hope it catches on going forward. Options, always, for the win.
I would like that to be the future however I'm pessimistic...
I can see this typ of option happening in games for a few years tops, to then go away and only the "cencored" version being left in games no options.

This is just the kind of thing that epitomizes the phrase "No good deed goes un-punished".

The complaints are hilarious so far and will only get better.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Resetera mode, i checked the thread over their, the fucking loonies have really come out. Having melt downs and crying because bayo likes to show some skin

Top Bottom