• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC News Phil Spencer Interview - Where's the VR on Xbox One X?

Gowans

E3 2017: Where's the VR on Xbox One X?

Microsoft has revealed its Xbox One X console, which will be able to render games in ultra-high definition 4K.

When the company first announced the console in 2016, it promised it could deliver "high fidelity virtual reality", but there was no mention of VR at the unveiling in 2017.

The BBC's Dave Lee asked Xbox's Phil Spencer why the company had gone quiet on VR for Xbox.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-40244066/e3-2017-where-s-the-vr-on-xbox-one-x [3:19]

Gowans

Some good questions.

Looks like living room VR isn't a priority for now and devs have tools to allow only the xbox one X users to download the 4K assets.

_Aaron_

He kind of dodged the VR question a bit. Maybe they're not talking about it because they don't have a VR headset ready for Xbox One yet.

Also if they are going to do Xbox One VR, then they'll have to invest in first-party content and they might not have done that yet.

On Windows, they don't really have to worry about creating their own VR content because there are plenty of devs working on it.

Shin-Ra

They removed mention of it from their website so you're supposed to pretend it never happened.

Daffy Duck

Outside of the hardcore I really don't think there is a thirst for VR, and that's without the stigma attached VR that the majority of the software for it feels like tech demos.

redcrayon

Good questions, I liked seeing the Beeb reporter ask about whether Xbox One S has to download the full Xbox One X version.

What does Spencer mean when he rewords VR as 'Mixed Reality' when he replies, is that a term encompassing AR and VR?

Edit: never mind, google is my friend etc.

Is this what I think it is? Exclusive textures?

More like, Xbox One / S users don't have to download the extra 10+GB of 4K textures they can't actually use. (Thank god for that, Gears of War 4 is already taking the piss at nearly 100GB, chuck in 4K textures most won't be using and uggg)

Phil is anticipating what's already obvious

Actual consoles AND VR technology today is not ready at all .

as Vive or PSVR are showing today, it's a " just above decent "experience , as much as the 1080p was at the time of X360 /Ps4 ( basically it can be done but we are not ready yet )

VR headset must improve on two aspect in order to delivery a good feedback

1) resolution on each screen ( means double 4K resolution )

2) refresh rate should be much above 100hz on each screen at native resolution

this means = we are not yet ready as GPU power ( a SLI setup of new Volta"2080" maybe , but not at consoles level ) and not yet ready as connections standard (maybe Hdmi 2.1 or next version of display port will be enough )

Phil is also underlining at every answer the " MIXED reality " that's where Microsoft is oriented next year. with all MR headset that will be present on the market, it would be easier to make that compatibile with XOX and also Mixed reality it's a much easier implementation for a proper transition towards a full VR home console maybe next generation ( IF VR won't have the same fate of 3d )

Aceofspades

Banned
Xbox one X is not strong enough to be paired with Vive or Occulus. MS needs to make a customized headset similar to PSVR.

Cuburt

Considering Microsoft has already announced VR headsets they've partnered on which will release for the PC, I expected to hear something about it. Especially with games like DOOM and Fallout 4 getting VR support, it seemed like if they wanted to have a headset, at least announce it this E3, along with a few games, and then they can brag about some feature like the ability to switch and use it on both the XBO console and a PC.

Instead, not even a mention.

I don't blame them based on VR sales figures, but if they have any intention of VR on their consoles, I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned at all.

Well I guess it's a good thing I just got the PS VR since MS seems to want us all too forget they talked about Scorpio VR last year.

Forza 7 + VR, what a missed opportunity.

Outside of the hardcore I really don't think there is a thirst for VR, and that's without the stigma attached VR that the majority of the software for it feels like tech demos.

Even then, you're overestimating it. I want nothing to do with Oculus, Vive, and PSVR (I'm not strapping a thing to my head when I can trip over a cable), and am waiting for things like Google Daydream and Gear VR to get good.

Considering Microsoft has already announced VR headsets they've partnered on which will release for the PC, I expected to hear something about it. Especially with games like DOOM and Fallout 4 getting VR support, it seemed like if they wanted to have a headset, at least announce it this E3, along with a few games, and then they can brag about some feature like the ability to switch and use it on both the XBO console and a PC.

I don't blame them based on VR sales figures, but if they have any intention of VR on their consoles, I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned at all.

I was always under the impression Microsoft would never have their own headset. When the time is right they will partner with Rift. Ideally the standard model is just compatible with the xbox. Could hopefully even just use the HDMI out that's already on the console.

I think one of the Microsoft guy tweeted they think console VR should be at least wireless. Forget where I saw it.

Phils said in a previous interview that VR is just not ready yet and there is a lot to work out. No VR for Xbox is a better situation than a potential failed VR. After the lukewarm reaction to Kinect 2.0 Microsoft will be very cautious about that investment. Better to let someone else work out all the kinks and then improve on that 1st time.

mclem

Shame. Forza Horizon in VR would be incredible.

I've played Driveclub VR, it's really really immersive... right up until you *crash*, and then it's GOD GET THIS THING OFF ME I WANNA VOM.

So if you're *good* at driving games, it's brilliant :)

Apt101

I imagine they're using some really efficient compression techniques then extracting the files after download - regarding that one question. At least I hope so.

And I'm fine with Microsoft not touching VR until it's more mature. My PSVR + Pro is a fun little toy to use once in a while, but man is the resolution low and the overall tech and tools just aren't there.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

as Vive or PSVR are showing today, it's a " just above decent "experience , as much as the 1080p was at the time of X360 /Ps4 ( basically it can be done but we are not ready yet )

this means = we are not yet ready as GPU power ( a SLI setup of new Volta"2080" maybe , but not at consoles level ) and not yet ready as connections standard (maybe Hdmi 2.1 or next version of display port will be enough )

Phil is also underlining at every answer the " MIXED reality " that's where Microsoft is oriented next year. with all MR headset that will be present on the market, it would be easier to make that compatibile with XOX and also Mixed reality it's a much easier implementation for a proper transition towards a full VR home console maybe next generation ( IF VR won't have the same fate of 3d )

To power two 4K displays at 90 Hz I don't think even the next next gen of consoles will be able to do that. You have to compromise somewhere. You have to start somewhere. Major Nelson was awkward yesterday when Geoff asked him about VR. He said something like "This is a very capable console but we are not talking about VR yet".

I've played Driveclub VR, it's really really immersive... right up until you *crash*, and then it's GOD GET THIS THING OFF ME I WANNA VOM.

So if you're *good* at driving games, it's brilliant :)

DCVR blacks out when you crash. But if you're like me who can spend multiple hours inside a headset get flipped every way possible (Dirt Rally VR, EVE, Windlands) and just want more Forza Horizon would be perfect and I don't really like the side series. If people who have PSVR want to see how good Forza Horizon could be pick the buggy in Driveclub VR and go where they like, but then imagine you have actual freedom and huge variety, the game existing mechanics step up big time in a genre where VR its significantly better than its standard tv version.

kyser73

Why bother with all 8K display when you can use foveated rendering & eye tracking with that actually mimics how you see? The true next generation of top-range HMDs will feature this, likely will be wireless and have inside-out tracking, not to mention being lighter, less bulky etc

MS have already announced 3 partner-manufactured HMDs, following Valve's approach of offloading the hardware risk to third parties. Why they've rowed back from associating VR & Xbox is clearly an internal decision for whatever reasons.

It was all the wiring connections that killed it for me. Messy, complicated and not living room friendly.

Then add in the fact that you can't get HDR to pass through it. Had to buy myself an extra Switch.

I really enjoy VR but I don't blame anyone at this point for at least holding until a better solution is release. We need wireless and higher resolution options. Best to wait for that.

Marcel

Xbone X might have some issues but avoiding VR is not one of them as the price + software is not there yet for mass market success. VR stans might take issue with it but they are only a vocal minority.

Apt101

Then add in the fact that you can't get HDR to pass through it. Had to buy myself an extra Switch.

I really enjoy VR but I don't blame anyone at this point for at least holding until a better solution is release. We need wireless and higher resolution options. Best to wait for that.

OMG that shit kills me. I only found out after. I was like "for real motherfuckers? No one thought this was a problem when you're launching a 4K console that can improve the VR experience?". So now I have to swap a cable whenever I want to play PSVR, and then back again for Pro games. :(

dose

You obviously haven't played PSVR then.

PSVR screens run at 120Hz. Vive's run at 90Hz and work great. I'm not sure why you are dismissing VR on consoles so much.

I wonder if they rethought their 'no gamer left behind' philosophy and saw that VR on XOX will divide the Xbox One userbase and void that philosophy. Perhaps they then decided to delay the implementation until next gen when the market is more mature so everyone can get a shot?

Perhaps I am overthinking this. It is more likely they got cold feet or thought the market was not yet ready. MS as a whole is taking their sweet time with their mixed reality projects so who knows.

ps3ud0

I wonder if they rethought their 'no gamer left behind' philosophy and saw that VR on XOX will divide the Xbox One userbase and void that philosophy. Perhaps they then decided to delay the implementation until next gen when the market is more mature so everyone can get a shot?

Perhaps I am overthinking this. It is more likely they got cold feet or thought the market was not yet ready. MS as a whole is taking their sweet time with their mixed reality projects so who knows.
Personally I think Sony mixed their messaging when they released the Pro and PSVR so close. It makes sense to give the Scorpio some breathing space and having a VR headset later in life might be a nice way to boost its sales too.

I can't see it not being a custom MS device rather than what most of us assumed would just be a Rift now we have its final specs.

EDIT: The VR headset will come out when MS do their first global price drop for the Scorpio IMO

ps3ud0 8)

gmoran

Well after watching this I'm now certain there is no longer a concrete plan to release VR for the One X. No mention of VR on the official site either.

I'd guessed this was the score from the mixed messages on the subject this year; time to put this one to bed unless MS say something definite to the contrary.

Kinda pointless interview, Ms has already said more than once that VR for xbox only next year, they even reiterated that last week saying that would be in 2018 and wireless.

Let's face it, the xbox VR would costs £400 minimum, probably more likely £500 - £600 as they would want to make use of the new console's power. Dropping the fact that VR on Xbox would cost £1,000 to get started would be off-putting.

Might as well wait until after the launch and then see how things go.

They are investing in AR whit hololense, which is several generations away.

Which they can then bring to Xbone when it's ready as it's developed on a platform that supports Xbox.

They likely just don't want to do another kinect and give to consumers a new tech before its prime and end up killing any chance for it to become big in the long run.

Personally I think Sony mixed their messaging when they released the Pro and PSVR so close. It makes sense to give the Scorpio some breathing space and having a VR headset later in life might be a nice way to boost its sales too.

I can't see it not being a custom MS device rather than what most of us assumed would just be a Rift now we have its final specs.

EDIT: The VR headset will come out when MS do their first global price drop for the Scorpio IMO

ps3ud0 8)

I can see your points. Then again, Sony cannot produce those VR sets fast enough. Still, there is no telling if the hype will die soon or if the product will continue to flourish.

I wouldn't count out MS previous Scorpio VR talk as being a knee-jerk PR reaction to PSVR and that on further consideration, they decided against the idea; at least for the time being. We can only speculate why. Maybe the game division were only green lit for one project at a time or they are waiting to see what Sony's experiment turns out to be like.

You obviously haven't played PSVR then.

PSVR screens run at 120Hz. Vive's run at 90Hz and work great. I'm not sure why you are dismissing VR on consoles so much.

i do own a PSVR, but the resolution It's just embarrassing ( 960 × 1080 pixels per eye )

and it's crystal clear when you play a VR powered game how much a developer has to sacrifice to achieve a decent VR effect.

because, again, ps4Pro / XOX are not powerful enough for a high quality VR games today
you need at least a double digit TF GPU and a code fully optimized in order to manage a decent VR experience ( not even in 4K x eye because then you need something in the range of a quad titan setup )

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Windows Mixed Reality is a 2018 thing. They hqve talked about this before. Sometimes i feel like the gaming community does not listen to microsoft as a whole for anouncements. With their convergence, it makes it more important.

Hesh

Third Party VR support would be ideal, I feel first party VR R&D by Microsoft would be costly when they're already trailing this generation in sales. If they worked out a deal with HTC or Oculus that would be swell, although the Xbox One X lacking an HDMI 2.1 out seems like they may have made up their mind on VR this generation and will do their own thing next generation.

Top Bottom